"LIVE" from Explorer of the Seas / Nov 10, 2011

Radio

Ok, Ok. . . really. . .These are the last Pics from San Juan :)

Radio

;);)

Nieuw Amsterdam and Carnival Victory

W35.JPG

One Final photo as we sail past El Morro Fortress. . .

W40.JPG

Here are a few more. . .

Radio

This is the Free Trolley that will takes you around Old San Juan.

W24.JPG

Radio, does the free trolley go up to the town square at the top of the hill, near the Governor's Mansion? And do you know the hours of operation?

Thanks in advance.

<<edit>>

I found the answer on the web.

Here .....

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/free-trolley-old-san-juan/

does anyone know if there is any other way up to Paradise Point other than those cable cars? :confused:

I don't remember any. And there is a steep stone stairway you have to walk up to get to the beginning of the tram service. Definitely doesn't meet the ADA requirements for those in a wheel chair.

Unless there is a hidden elevator I didn't notice.

A very hilly operation.

Look at this shot of the cable cars and the ground below.

2366364040096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

<<edit>> I do remember a parking lot near the top ( I think) for the employees??? Maybe a cab could take you up? I honestly don't remember.

does anyone know if there is any other way up to Paradise Point other than those cable cars? :confused:

There is a steep winding road (along the same lines as lombard st in san francisco) i belive is used for service vehicles. you could probably walk down it but going up, forget it. :eek:

Radio, thank again for all your posts and pictures. I am off to NYC tomorrow for our EOS sailing on the 20th. Enjoy Labadee (the only place I have not yet been too) and leave us some sun :D

Smooth sailings back to Bayonne,

Els

There is a steep winding road (along the same lines as lombard st in san francisco) i belive is used for service vehicles. you could probably walk down it but going up, forget it. :eek:

I drove my Rental car up to Paradise Point. . . There were several others up there as well.

Radio

;);)

I don't remember any. And there is a steep stone stairway you have to walk up to get to the beginning of the tram service. Definitely doesn't meet the ADA requirements for those in a wheel chair.

Unless there is a hidden elevator I didn't notice.

A very hilly operation.

Look at this shot of the cable cars and the ground below.

2366364040096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

<<edit>> I do remember a parking lot near the top ( I think) for the employees??? Maybe a cab could take you up? I honestly don't remember.

thank you! that was what has me curious because Im in a wheelchair and would REALLY like to go up there and take some pics! maybe I will check to see if a cab will take me?

You can take a cab. The road is a public road that is one of the turnoffs from the main road across the island. It is very winding which makes it fun. We went on an excursion to Magen's Bay in 2006 that stopped at Paradise Point for Bushwhackers (it's when I got my addiction). We went on a minibus. There is a small parking area there where the buses and cars/cabs park. We went by cable car in Nov 10. Had to get a Bushwhacker:D:D

I hate to ask but, what is a Bushwack? LOL:confused: Sounds dangerous.

It's an excellent frozen drink made with Bailey's, rum, vodka, kahlua, and a couple of other liquors/liquers that I can't remember with nutmeg sprinkled on top. They go down way too easy.

Does anyone know how much the cable car is? I know RCCL offers it as an excursion. $21 for an all day use, but I'd only be going up and down once.

It's a little bit cheaper when you buy it from the cruise ship. We didn't buy it while we were onboard...we bought it directly from Paradise Point and for the five of us we would have saved a couple of dollars. It was $73.50 for two adults and three children. That also includes access to the ferris wheel and jumping thing which our three boys loved! They had all day use or all day use plus drink included.

Radio,

Does the pier in San Juan where the EOS remain the same every time it docks? Does it have any shops right in the pier?

MARAPRINCE

I do remember a parking lot near the top ( I think) for the employees??? Maybe a cab could take you up? I honestly don't remember.

I actually took an excursion with my daughter a few years ago that included a drive up to Paradise Point on one of those open air busses, you know the kind with no doors or windows.:eek:

I was so terrified, I refused to take the bus down. I purchased a one way ride down on the tram and asked the bus driver to pick us up at the bottom to continue on our excursion which took us to Meagan's Bay. Needed to have a Bushwhacker on the way down just to calm me down. ;)

I actually took an excursion with my daughter a few years ago that included a drive up to Paradise Point on one of those open air busses, you know the kind with no doors or windows.:eek:

I was so terrified, I refused to take the bus down. I purchased a one way ride down on the tram and asked the bus driver to pick us up at the bottom to continue on our excursion which took us to Meagan's Bay. Needed to have a Bushwhacker on the way down just to calm me down. ;)

You have to keep going on the winding road to get to Magen's Bay. If you're picked up at the bottom, you are across the street from the pier. The only way to get to Magen's bay is over the hills. The excursions always go up and over via the winding road to get to Magen's Bay. I'm not sure how you would get there otherwise. The winding road was fun.

You have to keep going on the winding road to get to Magen's Bay. If you're picked up at the bottom, you are across the street from the pier. The only way to get to Magen's bay is over the hills. The excursions always go up and over via the winding road to get to Magen's Bay. I'm not sure how you would get there otherwise. The winding road was fun.

I've been to Magen's Bay a few times and never has it been as scary as that particular road was. It felt like we were climbing at a 45 degree angle or steeper. When we were going around some turns, I was hanging on tight to my daughter as I was sure she was going to fall out.

I heard that the ride down wasn't as scary. I'm sure the other passengers weren't thrilled with me as I probably took a half hour or more out of the excursion.

I've been to Magen's Bay a few times and never has it been as scary as that particular road was. It felt like we were climbing at a 45 degree angle or steeper. When we were going around some turns, I was hanging on tight to my daughter as I was sure she was going to fall out.

I heard that the ride down wasn't as scary. I'm sure the other passengers weren't thrilled with me as I probably took a half hour or more out of the excursion.

We've done it twice on that road and while it's quite winding, it wasn't scary. I did see one or two people with white knuckles, but everyone else on the open air bus was perfectly fine. The road is tougher on the vehicles brakes and transmissions than anything else. It's not like they drive that fast. I've never seen any other route to get to Magen's Bay which is what I was addressing in my previous post. Magen's Bay is almost due north of the port, by only a few miles, but you have to go over the hills to get there.

Archived