"LIVE" from Explorer of the Seas / Nov 10, 2011

Radio

CDS62- I did read a thread about a parasailing accident, with fatality, in St. Thomas this week. I do not know if what you saw was related to this incident. I beleive I read that it was a CCL passenger but I cannot confirm any of this.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1518667&highlight=st+thomas+parasail+accident

Thoughts and prayers to all involved.

I was on the Explorer for this cruise. When we got off the ship in St. Thomas we saw a Medical Examiners truck next to the gangway. Do you have any information regarding the circumstances for the need of the M.E.

There was a death onboard on Saturday 11/12. I was also on this sailing. Very sad for the family and friends of this man.

Radio

Just reading thru see'ing how our cruise was .. haha :) Sorry we never got to meet anyone from the Roll Call, I forgot when the Meet and Mingle was and I swore I'd eventually run into some of you but always forget that there are 3000 others onboard. Its weird how we ran into 2 people my husband knows from his soccer club (but had no clue they were cruising). We seemed to run into the same few people constantly but never saw others.

This was a fantastic cruise, best food and service since our first few cruises. This is the RCCL we remember from 9 and 10 years ago. Great Crew, I think the best in the Fleet.

As Red Devil posted a few posts ago, come join our roll cal! We're all on the 1/27/12 sailing of the EOS, and have a pretty lively thread composed of many interesting people. Always looking for more fellow cruisers to join us! You can join our roll call (Through CC http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1352961), put your name on our list (so we know just a little more about you - done through the thread) and sign up for the Meet & Mingle (through Royal Caribbean https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/ccEntry.do)

Hope you'll join us!

Birdnutty

Hello everyone. . . I made it home ! It took me about 3 ½ hrs (after a quick coffee stop) to get home. I am looking forward to a nice Italian dinner tonight.

Sorry I wasn’t able to post any pics during my final morning on Explorer, but the wireless connection this morning were very unusual. I could connect with my iPad, but not my Laptop, or Royal Caribbean On Line. . .

I really had a great cruise, and I loved all of the ports of call. I really like to keep a journal (Definition= “LIVE POST”). I often check back on many of my “LIVE” posts to remember things about the ports or ships that may have slipped my mind. I have them all archived for future use. I can’t imagine going on a Cruise without creating a “LIVE” post. . .

I have a feeling that I may have missed a few questions during my last 11 days, so when now that I am home I will re read every question and comment that has appeared and try to answer any question that may have been overlooked. I still have to sort through and try to post many pics that have not been posted yet. . .

I will scan all of the Compass Dailies, and other important documents that may interest future Explorer of the Seas cruisers. . .

Thanks for all of the nice comments, and thanks for tuning in !

Radio

We approach the Verrazano Narrows Bridge. . .

B1.JPG

We pass under the Bridge with ease. . .

B2.JPG

I have been used to waking up with sunshine on most mornings for this Cruise.

B3.JPG

Explorer of the Seas is greeted this morning by the Statue of Liberty

B8.JPG

It has been 11 days since I have had this view. . .

B10.JPG

We are docked and ready for Debarkation !

B9.JPG

I forgot to mention that when I got on the shuttle. . .we immediatley went to the Passenger Terminal (It is just a short ride) We then parked behind 7 other shuttles and stopped. Someone asked why, and it seems that there was too many people in the luggage and Customes area, and they had to wait before any new people came in. . .

We waited in the Shuttle bus for 30 minutes. This has never happened before. . . I wasn't expecting this, but after we were allowed in the terminal things moved very quickly.

Here are a few more pics. . . Time for dinner !

Radio

I make it down to Deck 1 Gangway area

B11.JPG

The shuttle bus is waiting for me. . .

B12.JPG

I wasn’t expecting to see a “Welcome to the United States” sign.

B15.JPG

I only spent a couple of minutes in the Terminal. . .

B17.JPG

I have a short walk to my car through the covered tent area. . .

B18.JPG

Explorer of the Seas will be ready soon to delight a lot of lucky passengers !

B19.JPG

I forgot to mention that when I got on the shuttle. . .we immediatley went to the Passenger Terminal (It is just a short ride) We then parked behind 7 other shuttles and stopped. Someone asked why, and it seems that there was too many people in the luggage and Customes area, and they had to wait before any new people came in. . .

We waited in the Shuttle bus for 30 minutes. This has never happened before. . . I wasn't expecting this, but after we were allowed in the terminal things moved very quickly.

Here are a few more pics. . . Time for dinner !

Radio

I make it down to Deck 1 Gangway area

B11.JPG

The shuttle bus is waiting for me. . .

B12.JPG

I wasn’t expecting to see a “Welcome to the United States” sign.

B15.JPG

I only spent a couple of minutes in the Terminal. . .

B17.JPG

I have a short walk to my car through the covered tent area. . .

B18.JPG

Explorer of the Seas will be ready soon to delight a lot of lucky passengers !

B19.JPG

We did Express walk off and were in the first group to leave the ship. We were on the first shuttle bus into the terminal and we heard them say on the radio to start calling luggage tag colors. They really seemed to be rushing debarktion. There were still 2 more groups of Express walk off to go after us. I knew that was going to get messy.

hope you are having a great great time!!!!! enjoy the rest of your cruise!!!!

Thanks, Cris! Great to see you again, it's been a while! :) We had such a WONDERFUL cruise, it honestly couldn't have been more perfect.

Radio, it was great finally meeting you! Thanks for leaving me the note in my cabin door. I finally got my act together and got to meet a bunch of you. Home now, and sadly unpacking. But what great memories!!! :) :) :)

I will scan all of the Compass Dailies, and other important documents that may interest future Explorer of the Seas cruisers. . .

Radio

Thank for taking us on your cruise. It's almost like doing a B2B, we're on her Dec 1 (as you can see below.)

Are you posting the dailies here or are you emailing them. if email: marc_mary_zahn (@) hotmail (.) com

Once again... it was so wonderful and it helped the time pass quicker as we wait for our adventure.

Marc

Hi Radio, I am considering booking the 10 night cruise leaving January 27th, but because of length of the cruise I am concerned that the majority of the passengers will be retirees. On your sailing can you tell me if there was a nice size group of 30 somethings, or were morst passengers older?

Hi Radio, I am considering booking the 10 night cruise leaving January 27th, but because of length of the cruise I am concerned that the majority of the passengers will be retirees. On your sailing can you tell me if there was a nice size group of 30 somethings, or were morst passengers older?

I know I'm not Radio but just jumping in to let you know my family as well as friends of ours are on the Jan 27th sailing, all of us are in our 30's and will have a bunch of our kiddos along. ;) (we homeschool). Jump on over to our roll call to see some of who you'd sail with. I've been on EOS 2 other times for long cruises and yes, the average age is a little older than myself but most of the people I've met have been great fun! :)

We just got off the EXoS this morning. I have been quickly going through the thread. I do have a few bits of info.

1. When we were set to leave San Juan, we had to wait for a"Dam" ship to pull into the pier before we could sail. As there were at least 9 passengers unaccounted for at sailing time, this was a good thing. Not sure, but it is possible that 2 missed the ship. They were being paged over the PA system for quite awhile. We were about 40 minutes late leaving.

2. One passenger/crew member almost missed the ship in Labadee. After he was paged, we watched him running to catch the ship as it was ready to sail. A golf cart driver kindly picked him up so he didn't have to run the whole way!

3. Nellie's Beach is just to the east of of the Suite/cabana beach. I saw no signs for Nellie's Beach. It was a good, safe place to swim. Lounges are available. We did a little snorkeling along the edge of the rocks. We swam around to the cabana beach but didn't get out of the water. The snorkeling isn't great there(Labadee). The water under the zipline were pretty rough. It was a very hot day. We were in and out of the water often to cool off.

I guess the most important thing I can tell you is to be very aware of the time you need to be on ship before it sails. Also know what is the 'ships time'. It isn't always the same as on shore.

We are not old just 30 something x2+

Age is just a number.

Older people cam be a lot of fun!! Someday you will retire.

I was a little surprised to see that a fair amount of passengers on the 11/10 sailing were senior citizens. I never saw so many scooters being driven around the ship. I don't know if it appeals to this age group for the convenience of not having to fly to Florida.

Overall the cruise was nice but my main complaint would be the lack of late night entertainment. Every cruise that I have been on prior usually offers some for of late night show either in a lounge or the main theater, such as a comedian or other headliner, but this was not an option on this cruise. The only late night activity was karaoke or dancing. A bit of a disappointment.

I was a little surprised to see that a fair amount of passengers on the 11/10 sailing were senior citizens. I never saw so many scooters being driven around the ship. I don't know if it appeals to this age group for the convenience of not having to fly to Florida.

Overall the cruise was nice but my main complaint would be the lack of late night entertainment. Every cruise that I have been on prior usually offers some for of late night show either in a lounge or the main theater, such as a comedian or other headliner, but this was not an option on this cruise. The only late night activity was karaoke or dancing. A bit of a disappointment.

As a night owl I enjoyed Roxy in the Schooner lounge a few evenings. He's funny and does pretty good Billy Joel, and was out until 1am at least every night.

Radio,

Not sure if you have mentioned this already, but what is the zoom level on your camera? I have never been able to zoom in enough to get a good picture of the Statue of Liberty the way you have. Then again, I do use only a simple point and shoot.

The SOL is fairly far away. I can add my own shot, taken with a Superzoom Leica in 2007. This was 42.6 mm(equivalent of 235 35mm)

2480225160096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

...and this was taken at 88.8 mm (equivalent of 515 mm 35 mm). There is some digital magnification here, which lowered the quality.

2222026870096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

There was a lot of haze in the air on that day which degrades the quality of the pics.

You really have to have a powerful zoom to bring the statue in.

Archived