Home from the 28 Day Sapphire Princess Cruise to Hawaii, Samoa and French Polynesia

freetocruise

Thanks for all the comments above on odor. It is gone now. Several of us complained, and we were told that they were "cleaning the grey water tanks". Next day it was gone.

We never noticed it in halls or cabins, just on balconies.

We are enjoying the cruise and have met a couple of other "Cruise Critics".

Even though this was a very full ship, I was amazed at how uncrowded it seemed. We had late traditional dinner, and did not have trouble getting into after dinner shows in the theater. Ok, that is true for most ships, but we never had trouble finding a table in the Horizon Court for breakfast (usually around 8 am) or lunch (11:30 to 12). I think in 28 days we only sat down with others once and had others join us twice. We usually sat on our balcony rather than around the pool, but in walking around there always seemed to be chairs available. Our tablemates said the Sanctuary was very empty too.

Probably because the Sapphire is as big as the Crow class ships but with one less deck and 500 or so less passengers.....:):):)

Bob

I will make only one statement about this 28 day cruise, even though I have written three different reviews in word, I will not post them, as I really am trying to be nice here. No matter how many times I re-write it, it seems to come out the same, negative.

We totally enjoyed our GS suite for this longer voyage and I don't know how we would have made it through the entire 28 days without it.

I am afraid we will never consider a cruise of this length again. With all that has been said, I am glad some really enjoyed it, and were able to see Tahiti. But for us, we felt like we were sailing on a floating nursing home (and we are not young by any means). In fact, many in our local nursing homes are in better shape than a good percentage of the passengers onboard this cruise were.

My husband put it into the correct words. In his opinion, this cruise lacked the Charisma of the other 9 cruises we have sailed on (both large and small ships) to Tahiti, and it had to do with the age and health/mobility issues of the passengers on this adventure. It honestly is a shame there was not a better mix of ages onboard, it would have put a spark into this sailing, something that we felt was totally lacking.

Toto:

I'm so glad you enjoyed the GS. I knew you would. Have been very interested in your comments (or should I say non comments) about this cruise. I have it booked in 2013 and really not sure if I will be keeping it at this point. The points you made have been interesting and I will truly think about them when making our decision. When my husband and I did the 14 day Hawaii trip in 2009 I had some of the same thoughts even with that cruise. We aren't young either, but a better mix of ages would have made a big difference on that cruise also. Thankfully we had the GS on the Golden for that cruise and like you, used the cabin a lot and were so glad to have it.

Thank you for the comments. Can understand about a review.

Toto,

We are also scheduled for the 2013 cruise but are wondering now if we should cancel or not. I looked forward to your daily posts throughout your cruise. At first I thought about seeing if we could be put on a wait list for the GS and for that kind of money, really want to hear all the pros and cons of this trip. I really wish you would post one of your final reviews. You are very loved here and everyone values your opinions even if they are negative and no one is going to think poorly of you.

Please post your review!!!!

And have a

HAPPY THANKSGIVING

I have been trying to write a review that isn't doom and gloom because we really did enjoy this cruise BUT......we would never do this particular itinerary again with Princess.

French Polynesia was the highlight of the 28 days and we didn't get to spend much time in the islands at all. I knew this was going to be problematic for me long before we cruised!

We cruised out of Bora Bora at 10pm. Sounds great right, NOT. You couldn't see the beautiful color of the water or any of the mountains. It was painful (but then I am a photographer) There is "another line"

that spends two days in Bora Bora. That way you get more time to explore and see this gorgeous land. The "other line" also spends time at several islands both in the Cook Islands and the Marquesas on a 30 day RT San Diego. Once again, yes, I knew this before we cruised but I was still saddened that we weren't going to be able to see more of this amazing place.

When we sailed out of Papeete, it was like the cruise was over and we still had eight days! Princess didn't even replace the flowers on the tables in the dining room or public spots. Their answer was "They only live for two weeks, we will get more in LA". Really, we had eight more days on this ship. Flowers were the only inexpensive item in Papeete, they could have picked up a few more!!

The passengers were like "horses that see the barn and start heading home". It was sad to have a cruise end 8 days early.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the 8 days at sea and took great advantage of so much time. I spent time in the sun, read, saw the King's Speech and visited with the wonderful new friends we met on this cruise!

We also enjoyed Samoa which the "other cruise line" does not visit on a 30 day RT. We were happy to visit both Samoas and will look fondly on our time there.

I am not going comment on food or entertain because every cruise and every person has a different take on those particular areas.

Did we have fun? ABSOLUTELY!!!! Would we do it again???? NOPE!

I also have 3,000 photos that I am ploughing through. When I am done I will post them to my gallery for those of you who would like to view them. No worries, there won't be 3,000!!!!!! :D

Cheers, Denise

I will make only one statement about this 28 day cruise, even though I have written three different reviews in word, I will not post them, as I really am trying to be nice here. No matter how many times I re-write it, it seems to come out the same, negative.

Toto - your review(s) are your views. By re-writing trying to make it nicer diminishes your thoughts. I think many on this thread would appreciate reading your first version (un-edited).

I like "true reviews" and benefit from them. I hope you re-consider your decision about not posting the review.

I have been trying to write a review that isn't doom and gloom because we really did enjoy this cruise BUT......we would never do this particular itinerary again with Princess.

Similar to my comments to Toto - many of us would like to see this review. It may help people who are thinking of spending $$$$ on this cruise in the future. We want the pros and the cons.

Thanks for your comments about the flowers, limited time in ports, etc...

After reading what Coral wrote, I do agree. I can understand about not wanting to write anything negative, but it truly does help. At this point I think we will cancel this cruise with what has been written. But, I do think reading a complete review would help even more with this decision. Not every cruise can be a positive experience, so do please post what you can.

We totally enjoyed our GS suite for this longer voyage and I don't know how we would have made it through the entire 28 days without it.

I am afraid we will never consider a cruise of this length again. With all that has been said, I am glad some really enjoyed it, and were able to see Tahiti. But for us, we felt like we were sailing on a floating nursing home (and we are not young by any means). In fact, many in our local nursing homes are in better shape than a good percentage of the passengers onboard this cruise were.

My husband put it into the correct words. In his opinion, this cruise lacked the Charisma of the other 9 cruises we have sailed on (both large and small ships) to Tahiti, and it had to do with the age and health/mobility issues of the passengers on this adventure. It honestly is a shame there was not a better mix of ages onboard, it would have put a spark into this sailing, something that we felt was totally lacking.

Sue, dh and I only take long cruises, however most of them have been b2b's. We have also been on several Princess cruises that were 26 days or longer and were not part of a b2b.

Having said that, all our other Princess cruises had a good age mix as well as a much more diverse group of passengers with far fewer Americans, more Canadians and people from all parts of the world. Truly an internatinal mix making for a more interesting passenger group.

The most probable reason forr the extremely high number of elderly seniors was the fact that for the limited mobility pax, they were from California and did not have to fly. All our other Princess cruises have been from foreign ports where flying is a necessity. We spoke to several people who said that "no flying" was the reason they booked this cruise.

Hopefully you will reconsider your decision and consider flying to a foreign port if you do decide on a longer cruise again.

Lynne

Princess Elite Member

Let me begin by saying that my wife and I have been looking forward to this cruise for over a year and we did really enjoy most of it but....

I have never seen such a concentration of walkers and scooters since visiting a relative in a nursing home. It seemed to me that everyong had this cruise on their bucket list and many were getting it scratched off just in time. Then there were those that were using scooters because they were just too obese to walk the length of the ship to the pool. Just an observation. Other than the guy that nearly ran me over from behind in his scooter than wanted an apology from me, they were not a problem. They made me feel really young.

The itinery was great until we got to the 8 sea days on the return. By that time we had done everything on the ship. By that time the food was all tasting the same. Other than reading, napping, and reading and napping there was just not a lot to do. The last three days we may as well been on a freighter. Don't get me wrong. I usually enjoy sea days but I found eight in a row at the end of the cruise a bit much. That's just me.

The islands were great and Bora Bora is the south sea paradise that eveyone imagines. Of all the stops, I would return there in a heartbeat.

The ship was in great condition and, even though it was at capacity, I never felt crowded. We didn't take in many of the shows so I won't comment on them. I did observe that some take trivia and other games such as the murder cruise too seriously. That kind of takes the fun out of them.

The food was good. I have read many reviews that were harsh on the food aboard Princess. I have always found the food good and I could always find more than enough to eat. I would have liked to see Princess enforce the Purell use at the buffet more. I watched on guy caugh into his hand then walk right past the Purell machine and begin serving himself. On the Coral last year an attendant was always present to see that everyone used the Purell before entering the buffet.

All in all we had a great time. None of the above issues took away from our having a good time. We met lots of great and interesting people on this cruise that we will keep in touch with. It was one of many things that I can scratch off my bucket list. Overall good job Princess.

And I say "God Bless" each and every senior who was able to take this trip. So many just sit and wait to die. I hope when Papa and I are old or need a scooter or wheelchair or are just too slow to get out of the way that we will feel accepted by the other passengers and won't have to worry about spoiling the ambiance.

Thanks for posting. I am definitely back and forth on this cruise. 28d on a ship sounds wonderful but the crowding issues have me totally turned off. Also, seems like the last 8 days were sort of "passing time" days where there wasn't much entertainment planned by the staff. Just my impressions from reading the many comments.

Please keep the info coming! Katherine

hello:

we're also booked on the march 2013 cruise and are definitely interested in toto's review. hubby doesn't get on cc much but i've been reading him the threads about the "floating nursing home."

toto, please reconsider and post your view. i'm not the only one waiting for it lol. we are sailing on the 12-17 sapphire to hawaii, which will be the longest cruise we've ever taken.

thanks so much

dave and gerry

hello:

we're also booked on the march 2013 cruise and are definitely interested in toto's review. hubby doesn't get on cc much but i've been reading him the threads about the "floating nursing home."

toto, please reconsider and post your view. i'm not the only one waiting for it lol. we are sailing on the 12-17 sapphire to hawaii, which will be the longest cruise we've ever taken.

thanks so much

dave and gerry

Well now,

johnny here, we'd love you to come over and join the 3/26/13 Roll Call if indeed your coming along...:)

I think the crowd will be fine for this one, get a taste of our Roll Call and I think that may be helpful for you...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1381203

And I say "God Bless" each and every senior who was able to take this trip. So many just sit and wait to die. I hope when Papa and I are old or need a scooter or wheelchair or are just too slow to get out of the way that we will feel accepted by the other passengers and won't have to worry about spoiling the ambiance.

Add my "AMEN" to that.

It breaks my heart to hear all this negativity!!!

This was a WONDERFUL cruise...I am 68 and did not feel that I was in a nursing home, and I was not bothered by scooters. I did Zumba every sea day and there were many "younger" AND older participants which made for a nice mix of people.

I feel so privileged to have been on board this wonderful ship...with wonderful calm seas...and great weather!! The last 8 sea days gave me a chance to do some activities I hadn't done the first half...and also, that was when I met the nicest people at the pool or at meal time.

I would rebook this in a heartbeat!!

Arlene

and i say "god bless" each and every senior who was able to take this trip. So many just sit and wait to die. I hope when papa and i are old or need a scooter or wheelchair or are just too slow to get out of the way that we will feel accepted by the other passengers and won't have to worry about spoiling the ambiance.

amen!!!!!!!

Archived