Roaming charges

swanee4

We recently received a phone bill for about $300 in roaming charges incurred while in bermuda on the veendam. I am a new iphone user and did not realize that i could run up a bill just by carrying the phone in my pocket. I did look up the weather. Has anyone else had this problem.

I'm sorry this happened to you. I know on my iPad (we have a data plan on it in addition to wi-fi) I can change my 'cellular data' settings for 'data roaming' to 'off'. It says to "turn data roaming off when abroad to avoid substantial roaming charges when using email, web browsing and other data services". I've read of too many, like the OP, who learned the hard way, so I did this as soon as we brought it home. I didn't want to forget to do so later. Of course if we want to look up the weather while on a cruise, that setting would have to be changed temporally.

I turn off all the email and background services on my smart phone when I travel. Roaming charges with ATT and Cellular at Sea are $20 per MB which soo expensive. For example I pay $15 per month for data with ATT for 200mg's.

Do you guys happen to know if we will incur any roaming charges in San Juan with ATT? I don't think so but maybe some of you have first hand experience?

PR is part of ATT domestic network with no roaming charges. The US virgin Islands are as well. This information can be found online at ATT.

There are multiple posts about roaming charges on cell phones on cruises.

Most of us tend to shut our phones off and leave them in the safe during the cruise.

The phone needs to be off, off, off and not used to avoid roaming charges.

Before too many people get worried, let's be clear that the issue being discussed is roaming charges for data on phones with Internet access. We've never had a need to turn off our regular, old-fashioned cell phones.

We have VZW and always keep our phone on 24/7 in order to receive texts (at 5 cents per) or emergency phone calls ($2.49/min.). No roaming charges are incurred just for having the phone turned on.

Before too many people get worried, let's be clear that the issue being discussed is roaming charges for data on phones with Internet access. We've never had a need to turn off our regular, old-fashioned cell phones.

We have VZW and always keep our phone on 24/7 in order to receive texts (at 5 cents per) or emergency phone calls ($2.49/min.). No roaming charges are incurred just for having the phone turned on.

Cellular at Sea with ATT has no charge for incoming text messages and $.50 for out going. So when on the ship I tell family text me for any emergency.

My approach before each trip is to contact the service and describe what I will need the phone for and where I'm traveling. Last year, for example, we traveled to Australia and were able to buy a deal in advance that gave us a very good price...for voice, not data.

In planning for another trip in February, that deal was no longer available but there was a decent (not great) deal for both voice and data.

My point is that the preparation plan for any major trip must include, among other things, such things as cell phone and data device access strategies (after also checking credit/debit card fees and limitations).

Somebody once said, "there are many Smart phones but not so many Smart owners." We have talked about this roaming charge subject on several threads around CC. Smartphones have the capability to receive data in the background...and the more apps you have installed on your phone the more data the phone will download. When you travel outside the country (or your free roaming area) you need to make sure your data function is turned-off (each phone has their own way of accomplishing the task). The OP was lucky they only got a $300 bill. There are tales of travelers getting bills for thousands of dollars.

Hank

Somebody once said, "there are many Smart phones but not so many Smart owners." We have talked about this roaming charge subject on several threads around CC. Smartphones have the capability to receive data in the background...and the more apps you have installed on your phone the more data the phone will download. When you travel outside the country (or your free roaming area) you need to make sure your data function is turned-off (each phone has their own way of accomplishing the task). The OP was lucky they only got a $300 bill. There are tales of travelers getting bills for thousands of dollars.

Hank

My Windows smart phone uses about 1.5MB per day avg for background services, if I didn't turn off my data services while roaming on a cruise ship that would cost $30 per day for just having the phone turned on.

A friend of mine while on a driving trip in Canada this summer thinking Canada was in his domestic coverage area ran up over $1000 in roaming charges for date in one week. He was posting pictures of every stop to Face Book which cost him dearly. He is one of those not so "Smart Owners" you mentioned.

To really be sure the phone is off, we remove the battery and put it and the phone in the cabin safe. My wife and I have identical smartphones. Our particular model has a tendency to turn itself back on after it's been powered off. It happens with her phone, but not mine; go figure! When we turn it off a 2nd time, then it remains off. Removing the battery eliminates any worries. If the battery is fully charged before it's removed, it should easily hold a charge for a week.

Welcome to the dirty secret of smartphones :eek:, and sad lesson for those who forget that data plans in the US don't apply outside.

Sorry to hear of your nasty suprise :mad:

As a rule one should just leave the phone OFF, one of my great joys of vacation; email none, phone none, blackberry none :D

We recently received a phone bill for about $300 in roaming charges incurred while in bermuda on the veendam. I am a new iphone user and did not realize that i could run up a bill just by carrying the phone in my pocket. I did look up the weather. Has anyone else had this problem.

As others have said, there's absolutely no reason to remove batteries, SIMs, turn the phone off, lock in a lead-lined safe, or keep it in the toilet during a cruise, as long the smartphone allows you to turn data off (or, as mine does, turn data off whenever roaming). It takes exactly 2 presses of my touchscreen (click the network symbol in the upper-right corner to bring up the manage connections menu, click Mobile Network Options) to bring up the screen that lets me turn on/off data services and also has a "While Roaming" option. I simply leave Data Services set on and While Roaming set off permanently so I don't forget to change the setting before my cruise. That's it. If I do decide to use data while roaming in the future, I just turn While Roaming back on with three more presses of the touchscreen.

iPhones and other devices may differ in detail, but likely have similar and just as easy to change settings.

The reason why one might not want to lock up the phone, remove batteries, etc., besides the fact that it's not at all necessary, is that the roaming system will notify the phone free of charge when there are incoming phone messages and texts, and this is a rather economical way of staying in touch in case of emergency (it costs to hear the message to be sure, but only $1.99 a minute on Verizon IIRC, and incoming texts are much cheaper to read).

For future reference, you can avoid this problem by going into Settings>General>Network>then turn off Cellular Data and Data Roaming.

On my last cruise I inadvertantly forgot to do this and when I plugged in my phone to charge it while we were cruising from Newport to Boston, AT&T was nice enough to send me the following text message:

"Intl rate of $19.99/MB applies in this location. To reduce data charges, intl plans are available @ att.com/global or call +1-469-229-700. AT&T Free Msg."

Phew - that was close. Had I not received that message, I might have racked up some pricey charges.

BTW, iPhones do not lend themselves to battery removal. In fact I was told specifically NOT to open the back of the phone for any reason when I purchased the phone.

As others have said, there's absolutely no reason to remove batteries, SIMs, turn the phone off, lock in a lead-lined safe, or keep it in the toilet during a cruise, as long the smartphone allows you to turn data off (or, as mine does, turn data off whenever roaming). It takes exactly 2 presses of my touchscreen (click the network symbol in the upper-right corner to bring up the manage connections menu, click Mobile Network Options) to bring up the screen that lets me turn on/off data services and also has a "While Roaming" option. I simply leave Data Services set on and While Roaming set off permanently so I don't forget to change the setting before my cruise. That's it. If I do decide to use data while roaming in the future, I just turn While Roaming back on with three more presses of the touchscreen.

iPhones and other devices may differ in detail, but likely have similar and just as easy to change settings.

The reason why one might not want to lock up the phone, remove batteries, etc., besides the fact that it's not at all necessary, is that the roaming system will notify the phone free of charge when there are incoming phone messages and texts, and this is a rather economical way of staying in touch in case of emergency (it costs to hear the message to be sure, but only $1.99 a minute on Verizon IIRC, and incoming texts are much cheaper to read).

That is almost exactly how my ATT HTC Windows phone works.

Sailing there in 2012 that is in the United States so if I have unlimited data plan would it be safe to safe no roaming charges in Alaska??

Have verizon plan

Safe while docked most likely but at sea your service will change to Cellular At Sea which is operated by the ship through satellites and any charges on the ship are at the same rates as International roaming, $2.49 min voice and $20 MB data. I have ATT but I would check with VZ to make sure Alaska is in your domestic coverage plan.

Archived