Christmas Gifts for Crew Members

Immebsmom

Giving them cash constitutes a "tip" and they have to turn it in to their supervisor before they get it back.

The crew have parties below decks over the holidays. I've given bottles of wine to them which they could take to the party and they loved the idea. Perhaps instead of a gift card, what about a pre-paid MasterCard or Visa? They could use that anywhere and it wouldn't be tied to being in a port with a store; and, it wouldn't be cash so they wouldn't have to turn it in (even though they will get it back.)

This is not my understanding at all.

I thought that if tips were left in place, any additional cash tips may be kept by the recipient. It is only if 'tips' are removed (which is a whole other nasty debate, please let's not go there!!) then the recipient was indeed required to turn them in, where they then would be distributed from the pool. Not trying to split hairs, just hoping for clarity.

This is not my understanding at all.

I thought that if tips were left in place, any additional cash tips may be kept by the recipient. It is only if 'tips' are removed (which is a whole other nasty debate, please let's not go there!!) then the recipient was indeed required to turn them in, where they then would be distributed from the pool. Not trying to split hairs, just hoping for clarity.

Read Pam's post carefully... they have to turn it in, but they will get it back if auto-tips were left on...

Read Pam's post carefully... they have to turn it in, but they will get it back if auto-tips were left on...

I did read it carefully:rolleyes:, that's why I bothered to respond, because what she is saying is contrary to all I have ever read, and I have read 100's of posts on the subject. I'm not disagreeing that they are 'returned', but my understanding is that only occurs, (that they get it back)....if tips are turned off. If tips are left in place, they are free to keep, and do not have to turn them in to then be re-distributed. See the difference?

First, thank you for all your information. I will go with cash and some candies instead of gift cards. I also like the idea of telling the stateroom host to take the day off! Appreciate all your ideas!

Any kind of food item, even candy, while a nice thought, is probably not a good idea. Remember, you don't know if anyone has food allergies, or even more important, many of these workers are not Christian so they have special dietary restrictions, such as eating Halal. Plus, think if it this way. You're cleaning 14 to 16 cabins during the cruise. If even half of them give candy, what in the world will they do with it all?

he/she will have some splaining to do.

We like to give them pre-paid phone/gift cards

Phone cards are not the best idea. The reason is, the ones you purchase in the US don't work outside the US. If you give phone cards, you have to purchase cards in every separate port, as they all work different.

I think whatever you choose to do or not do is just fine.

I wouldn't feel that you "have" to do something.

We don't celebrate Christmas and the idea that everyone expects extra tips/gifts at that time sort of annoys me.

Last week when NOone was expecting anything, I gave out cash to the typical folks who work all year doing good things for us like our condo maintenance man, the mail man etc. They were surprised and happy and I was doing it on my time and not when the calendar arbitrarily tells me to do it.

Interesting thread. What about an American Express gift card? That way they can spend it most anywhere and all around the globe. I like the idea of making one's own bed that day. My feeling is that even if they do not celebrate Christmas, it's OK to give a gift. I think if you were unsure you could say something like:

"Not sure if you celebrate Christmas but we wanted you to share in our celebration and hope that you will accept this small gift."

I like the idea of a Visa or Mastercard gift card, although those come with their own problems. It's difficult to use the last few dollars on there because you can't just use it up and the pay the rest in cash unless you know precisely how much is on it AND the cashier knows how to do that (some don't.)

If you give nice candy it will be eaten :) I don't ever eat all my Christmas/Easter/Halloween/whatever candy, but I do eat the good stuff! I think if you get some little Godiva chocolates then they won't go to waste! Or if you have a local candy company, that'd be great too.

And no, not everyone celebrates Christmas, but who's going to turn down a gift??

I always give my homemade turtles as gifts around the holidays. I make my own caramel and everyone says they are the best they have ever eaten so I was planning to take some along as gifts. I have candy boxes all set to go just have to find the time to make them.

I am really confused. What benefit does the person on the receiving end get from a gift card, be it store specific or a Visa/Mastercard/American Express card that they would not get with good old fashioned cash?

Cash never expires. Cash is accepted everywhere.

Is it that some feel a gift card is more "personable"? If so, that is only a perception. I would not want to give anyone something they may or may not be able to use, and can only use at one or certain places. Doesn't sound like much of a "gift".

The best gift bag you can give to the hard working staff is extra cash (over and above the expected basic gratuities), treating them with respect, and (assuming they did a great job) providing written feedback to their superiors about the quality of their work. These are appreciated and useful 100% of the time. Gift cards to a specific store are only useful some of the time and never as useful as cash. Items such as phone cards are rarely useful and likely end up in the trash; many use Skype or similar technology to communicate for free and phone cards have restrictions depending on where they are purchased and may be of no use to where the staff member would be calling. Candy may or may not be liked by the staff member. A prepaid American Express/Visa/Mastercard is not always easily used outside the U.S. - I fail to see why one would do that versus extra cash (which is much, much more convenient easier for the staff to use than a prepaid credit card).

With gifts for the staff you will never find something that will be useful to more than some of the beneficiaries, whereas with cash everyone will enjoy your gift (so assuming one's intention is to reward the staff rather than make oneself feel good, then give extra cash rather than a gift). If you feel some sort of need to make it personal, than just enclose the cash in a card and write something on the card for them.

to the OP:

I think your idea is lovely.

I think if you've decided cash would be best and you want to put it in something special with a little candy or something -go for it.

It's a wonderful gesture of giving and being kind.

They are receiving a gift, it doesn't matter the reason or holiday that it represents to you.

I'm diabetic, and many times I receive candy or things I can't have....but, I'm always grateful that someone thought enough of me, and took their time & effort to do something for me. That's the best part!

I hope I travel with a shipful of people that are thoughtful and kind like yourself.

There are more people in the world who do not celebrate Christmas than those who celebrate it. Also, there are some Christians to do not celebrate Christmas on Dec. 25. IMHO, assuming that other people celebrate the same holidays as you do on the same dates is presumptuous and insensitive.

DON

Although I do not always agree with Don, I believe that he is right on target with this one.

And to those who do celebrate, I am not offended. Have a nice holiday.

I think cash is the best way to go.

Even with friends and family we have been doing more gift cards lately at Christmas. Let them get exactly what they want .

As far as the ships crew is concerned , you don't know what stores they have access to or which phone cards work from where to where. (unless you get the Visa or Mastercard cards which are pretty universal like one poster mentioned) .

As far as little trinkets , even though I am sure the crew appreciates the gesture , they live in such cramped quarters , they don't have room for all kinds of little knick knacks .

You can't go wrong with cash.

I hate gift cards! :eek:

One required going to a store in another city, which I never shopped at, buying something I didn't need.

Two required going to a store I dislike, buying something my wife insisted I buy (already had) and paying extra.

Positive comment card and cash. Most of those folks are working to support a family back home. They don't need walmart cards because they cant use it. Their shipboard quarters are small and have restricted space. They are virtually locked into their jobs for months at a time, busy taking care of business. A smile. A handshake. Knowing their name. A thank you. A positive comment card. AND A LITTLE EXTRA CASH for their service goes a lot further than a key chain or a gift card. If you were in their position? What would you want??? :cool:

I like the idea of a Visa or Mastercard gift card, although those come with their own problems. It's difficult to use the last few dollars on there because you can't just use it up and the pay the rest in cash unless you know precisely how much is on it AND the cashier knows how to do that (some don't.)

If you give nice candy it will be eaten :) I don't ever eat all my Christmas/Easter/Halloween/whatever candy, but I do eat the good stuff! I think if you get some little Godiva chocolates then they won't go to waste! Or if you have a local candy company, that'd be great too.

And no, not everyone celebrates Christmas, but who's going to turn down a gift??

I hate that with Visa, MC, or AMex gift cards, you have to 1) go online to get balance, 2) bother the cashier to swipe the card -- for a specific amount as that's the only way the cashier can check the balance by trial and error, 3) keep a receipt with the card that tells you how much you have left.

Plus there's a deadline for using the cards; after which, there's a monthly charge against your balance.

One thing that I'm going to do on Christmas Eve is to tell my cabin steward that we don't want to see him on Christmas. We will make the bed, etc. I'll just ask him to give me an extra set of towels the night before. I know they keep a cooler of ice somewhere close - we found it years ago.

Your Christmas spirit is commendable, but if a steward listened to you they might lose their job! Keep in mind that the crew, including your steward, work under terms of a contract. Nobody forces them to take these jobs and they do it because they can earn a good living. You do not have the authority (or right) to dictate their work terms. If you want to do something nice for your steward on the holiday just give him/her cash. Stewards on most of the mass market lines are required to be in your cabin twice a day. The only way to keep them out would be to leave your Do Not Disturb sign up....but depending on the cruise line they might call your cabin, knock at your door, or perhaps skip your cabin.

Hank

Giving them cash constitutes a "tip" and they have to turn it in to their supervisor before they get it back.

The crew have parties below decks over the holidays. I've given bottles of wine to them which they could take to the party and they loved the idea. Perhaps instead of a gift card, what about a pre-paid MasterCard or Visa? They could use that anywhere and it wouldn't be tied to being in a port with a store; and, it wouldn't be cash so they wouldn't have to turn it in (even though they will get it back.)

If you want to give them anything, the LAST thing you should give is a pre-paid Visa/Mastercard to be honest! The thought of it is very nice, but there are a LOT of places that do not take them because they do not have a name on them, and they are almost impossible to use online (if they want to buy something to be shipping back home) since there is no billing address for the card. There are the pre-paid cards that you can reload, but those require going online to register the one you get at the store, putting in a mailing address, and then waiting for a "real" card to come in the mail.

If you want a more personalized option, call the cruise line and see if you buy liquor on board, if you can buy a bottle for a crew member. Ask the person what they like best, and have a bottle sent to them. I know I am a picky drinker, and would HATE someone to give me a bottle of wine! There are only 2-3 types of wine I like, and the chance of getting one of those from a stranger would be slim to none!

One thing that I'm going to do on Christmas Eve is to tell my cabin steward that we don't want to see him on Christmas. We will make the bed, etc. I'll just ask him to give me an extra set of towels the night before. I know they keep a cooler of ice somewhere close - we found it years ago.

And if his supervisor checks the room... he/she will have some splaining to do.

What do you mean?

My interpretation here (based on other things I've heard) is that supervisors randomly check the work of their staff. If the supervisor decides to check your cabin, and nothing has been done - that cabin attendant is in trouble for not doing their job. You'd need to somehow contact the supervisor and let them know that you have requested that your cabin not be serviced that day.

It has nothing to do with cash tips and turning them in or not.

What a very thoughtful person the OP is....

My suggestion and opinion is to give the person a nice "Happy Holidays" card with some cash inside. Write a nice thoughtful note inside and specify this is a *Gift*, not a tip...then maybe it will be ok for him/her to receive without having to turn it in.

I suggested the "Happy Holidays" card because it does not specify Christmas or New Years...whether or not it makes a difference I don't know...tho some do not celebrate the occasions, it is after all the *Holidays*..and it shouldn't offend anyone.

gg

What a very thoughtful person the OP is....

My suggestion and opinion is to give the person a nice "Happy Holidays" card with some cash inside. Write a nice thoughtful note inside and specify this is a *Gift*, not a tip...then maybe it will be ok for him/her to receive without having to turn it in.

I suggested the "Happy Holidays" card because it does not specify Christmas or New Years...whether or not it makes a difference I don't know...tho some do not celebrate the occasions, it is after all the *Holidays*..and it shouldn't offend anyone.

gg

Bad idea all around. Give money in a card, but labling it a gift will not do a bit of good. One man's gift is another man's tip. Keeping it would still be a violation.

Archived