Heard aboard our cruise

derf5585

On HAL: we were standing in line at the front desk returning a movie. There was a desk set up close by. I think it was a tour desk for a group on board. One woman was complaining bitterly and wanting her money back for the bus tour because Puerto Rico was dirty and they drove through poor parts of town. "I didn't spend all this money to see poor people and dirty buildings." She went on and on - it was great- until the girl at the desk said, I'm sorry they didn't shine it up before you came, you should have let them know you were coming.

Love it!!!!:p

Not on board, but a friend once did a charity bike ride from Boston to NYC. One of the people he asked for support commented that it was a good thing that the ride was not in the opposite direction since this way it would be downhill (north to south).

At least once per cruise we have to go through stupid questions cruisers ask … Here's a few:

• What time is the Midnight Buffet? (Reply: Um….)

Um....what's a Midnight Buffet? :rolleyes: (Sorry, I just had to.)

Once on a ship's tour to the Mendenhall Glacier, one guest asked the ranger "Why is the glacier so dirty? Can't you clean it?" The ranger answered without skipping a beat (as if she had heard it before?) "Sorry, it's not in my job description."

While posted a few back, That the ride deom Boston to Miami would be better because it was "down hill" got a laugh , it was in fact a very astute passenger with some nautical knowledge;)

Going south from Boston IS SAILING DOWN HILL, because that is the term navigators use to describe sailing with the current. Up hill is thus refered to as going against the current ( in this case the Gulf Steam) and Yes it would be rougher sailing against the current

The same exists sailing the pacific coast south in the Pacific current is likewise down hill.;)

Friends of ours were sailing out of Miami on their first cruise. When they pulled into the parking area the gate attendant said to the husband "You guys cruisin?" to which he replied "No, we want to park!" My red faced friend poked him in the ribs and said "he's not asking if we are just riding around, he wants to know if we are going on the ship".

We have never let him forget it.

On another cruise line we were cruising by Kīlauea on the Big Island of Hawaii to see the lava flow into the ocean at night. In front of me a woman commented in a snide way "That's it?" I responded "Well, if you had paid more for the cruise they would have turned up the jets" (and then I slid away into the night).

You were being a smartelic. The woman was not being stupid. I have felt that way-had a big anticipation of something I have never experienced and then be disappointed. I felt that way about the glaciers in Alaska. I do not know what I expected but I did not think hearing them calving was any big deal. I found the area beautiful, not only the glaciers, but the whole coast. I did love Alaska, but the natural beauty was the big deal to me, not the sound of ice falling.

While posted a few back, That the ride deom Boston to Miami would be better because it was "down hill" got a laugh , it was in fact a very astute passenger with some nautical knowledge;)

Going south from Boston IS SAILING DOWN HILL, because that is the term navigators use to describe sailing with the current. Up hill is thus refered to as going against the current ( in this case the Gulf Steam) and Yes it would be rougher sailing against the current

The same exists sailing the pacific coast south in the Pacific current is likewise down hill.;)

I can vouch for that last sentence. Many years ago, when I was a younger and more adventurous person, my buddy and I took a 12 week sailing trip down the coast of California and Mexico on our 29 ft sloop. On our way back to our Northern California home port, we needed two tries to make it around Point Conception, just north of Santa Barbara. Notorious for it's strong currents and winds, our first attempt was a total failure, forcing us to find shelter for the night when we could not make any forward progress 'uphill'. On our next attempt, early in the morning when the winds were at their weakest, we finally made it around the point, but it was still slow, exhausting work due to the strong currents, having to zig-zag twelve miles to gain only a single mile forward.

I now prefer doing this on much larger boats - a cruise ship would be a good example. :D

We were on the water taxi coming back to the pier from the main beach in St. Maarten.

The woman sitting across from us shrieked, "OMG! I left the ship's walkie talkie sitting on the table at the restaurant!"

The young woman sitting next to us said calmly, "Don't worry, the ship will wait while you go back and get it."

We sort of looked at her....before someone politely said, "Ummmmm....no. The ship won't wait for you, if you are late."

The young woman said, "But they can't leave without you, all your stuff and clothes and everything are onboard in your cabin."

:rolleyes::D

On day 14 of a 15 night cruise, they ran out of grapefruit. One woman said to her husband. " They could get some if they really wanted to"

"Yes I am sure they will call the Piggly Wiggly and have that delivered to the middle of the ocean dear" was his reply.

I tried hard not to laugh.

You were being a smartelic. The woman was not being stupid. I have felt that way-had a big anticipation of something I have never experienced and then be disappointed. I felt that way about the glaciers in Alaska. I do not know what I expected but I did not think hearing them calving was any big deal. I found the area beautiful, not only the glaciers, but the whole coast. I did love Alaska, but the natural beauty was the big deal to me, not the sound of ice falling.

I was so disappointed when I saw the divers in Acapulco. I envisioned something so much more!

There was some kind of mix up with a woman's room and the room steward was trying to arrange for her to move to a different one. He asked, "Would you like an inside cabin or an outside cabin?" She replied, "Well, it looks like it might rain today. Can I have an inside cabin?"

I thought was a great answer :D

On our first cruise, being newbies, we went to the disembarkation talk. The CD was telling us about how it worked. When he got to the part about being careful about what you packed in your luggage and the sniffing dogs in the terminal, a woman got up and informed the CD and the rest of us that the dogs were "sniffing for fruit". The entire room exploded in laughter but that CD, he kept his calm, smiled at the woman and agreed with her.

I was so disappointed when I saw the divers in Acapulco. I envisioned something so much more!

And I was disappointed when I saw the Mona Lisa in Paris. It was so small! I remember thinking: "And this is what all the fuss is about?'

On our first cruise, being newbies, we went to the disembarkation talk. The CD was telling us about how it worked. When he got to the part about being careful about what you packed in your luggage and the sniffing dogs in the terminal, a woman got up and informed the CD and the rest of us that the dogs were "sniffing for fruit". The entire room exploded in laughter but that CD, he kept his calm, smiled at the woman and agreed with her.

And, if the cruise was terminating in a port in Australia or New Zealand, she would have been correct!

Actually, the woman was correct - there ARE dogs that are used to sniff for prohibited food items.

Then there are drug sniffing dogs.

And I was disappointed when I saw the Mona Lisa in Paris. It was so small! I remember thinking: "And this is what all the fuss is about?'

Same here. i was more impressed by the painting at the other end of the room, The Wedding at Canaan. ;)

Archived