Heard aboard our cruise

derf5585

Sitting at lunch buffet, on my own, eating and reading a book.

German dude says hello, so of course I cordially respond. Sees my American Flag shirt and says "why are you wearing that" to which I nicely respond, "I'm American". He says, "you don't look American" and I said that yeah, my parents are Indian and emigrated to America 30 years ago. "Ok, so you're not American, you are Indian".

I should've just agreed but I nicely said "I'm American. I'm lucky my parents made the decision to relocate, and I'm thankful that I could become American".

His response: "Well Americans don't know about the rest of the world".

So I put down my glass, and nicely in detail told him about the upcoming German election, how I think Stoiber is a good candidate, but that he'll lose, and also my opinion on Chancellor Schroeder's Hartz reforms, and how those reforms are only a 1st step.

You should've seen the guy's face...priceless.

"Don't look American"? I guess instead of worrying about Americans not knowing about the 'rest of the World', he should learn something about America....we come in lots of 'flavors', including a few German descendants. Your responses were very courteous and thoughtful.....considering his bad manners.

You brought up a good point though....we are cruising the Baltic, so I'm reading a bit on our ports (beyond the normal tourist - go see this stuff) so I don't sound really stupid about what is going on locally.

Den

We were in the airport preparing for a flight to Hawaii when my wife overheard two women discussing their trip and one stated that she had forgotten to change her money into Hawaiian. The other one replied that she was sure they could change their money at the airport once they arrived.

We were in the airport preparing for a flight to Hawaii when my wife overheard two women discussing their trip and one stated that she had forgotten to change her money into Hawaiian. The other one replied that she was sure they could change their money at the airport once they arrived.

People ask about Alaskan money a lot too.

I actually did hear someone ask an officer if the crew slept on board or if they had apartments in Miami.

I had to give the officer credit, he didn't even smirk, not the slightest bit. He acted like it was the most sensible question ever.

:)

What time is the Midnight Buffet?

Not entirely a foolish question. On NCL, for example, the chocolate buffet was formerly always at midnight. Now (as with a number of lines), the former midnight buffet has been moved up to an earlier hour. An old time cruiser asking for what time the midnight buffet will begin is obviously asking when the chocolate buffet will be. Nothing wrong with asking that. :rolleyes:

Bill

Heard on EQ from a woman*** who had obviously spent way too much time at the Martini Bar after a long day in istanbul...

"If they had one bank of elevators that went only up, & one that went only down, we wouldn't have to wait so long"

***That brilliant lady was me:D

My DD who was in grade school at the time asked a captain as we walked thru the meet n greet line, what make a ship float. She had just gone thru it in class so thought she would see what answer she got. No naming captains here, but the one she asked first choked on the answer and she had to explain it to him...thankfully softly enough only the photog and the captains CD staff assistant heard her explain it to him.

Since then she has asked several captains all who were able to explain it, in fact one of the most recent again no specific name gave a college essay answer. Later on in the cruise the first officers had her steering the ship around other ships while touring the bridge, in fact both times we were on the bridge.

My favorite was a lady complaining about having to do the muster...so after 2-3 minutes of her complaining and folks around me getting tired of her complaining, I sail loudly to DW, boy I bet the folks on XYZ ship were so glad they went to muster since their ship sank in the Antarctic waters (which happened about 3 days before our cruise)...she went silent at that point and a few of the folks around me chuckled.

Love the long list of dumb questions...may have to print it to ask next some next time I call in a rezzie...just to see what reaction I can get out of the rez staff. Of course would only do that when I call late at night and they are already bored.

• 4 months later...

We were on the White Pass R.R. in Skagway. Two women behind us were talking about the Skagway river and the water as it turns white (over any falls) One woman ask her travel mate "why is the water white when it hits the rocks" Woman #2 "Oh, thats the snow left over from the winter, its always winter up here in Alaska" Our cruise was in September!!

My DD and I were going down the gangway in Ketchikan, person in front of her asks a crew member "What elevation are we at, I know Alaska is higher up on the map" REALLY? My DD laughed so hard, she had to find a bathroom!!!

Melody:D

Do these steps go up or down? (Reply: Down in the morning, up starting early afternoon.)

The steps don't go anywhere-- they're bolted to the walls and floors.

I think so..their elevators don't go all the way to the top!!

But they do go to the front.

Not entirely a foolish question. On NCL, for example, the chocolate buffet was formerly always at midnight. Now (as with a number of lines), the former midnight buffet has been moved up to an earlier hour. An old time cruiser asking for what time the midnight buffet will begin is obviously asking when the chocolate buffet will be. Nothing wrong with asking that. :rolleyes:

Bill

Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve is also no longer at midnight. Usually 11:00 or 11:30.

Not on a ship but in a department store when I was in high school. Two "old" ladies standing at the bottom of a non-moving escalator. One says to the other, "The escalator is broken." To which the other replies, "How are we going to get upstairs?"

On HAL: we were standing in line at the front desk returning a movie. There was a desk set up close by. I think it was a tour desk for a group on board. One woman was complaining bitterly and wanting her money back for the bus tour because Puerto Rico was dirty and they drove through poor parts of town. "I didn't spend all this money to see poor people and dirty buildings." She went on and on - it was great- until the girl at the desk said, I'm sorry they didn't shine it up before you came, you should have let them know you were coming.

In Africa, sitting at camp one night looking up at the stars. So many when it's so dark, clear and so open. A woman asked me, 'Do they have stars in Canada?'

There was a "Secrets of Navigation" presentation on the April 6th Equinox cruise. During the Q&A one person asked: "Where do they put the stabilizers when the ship is in port?"

On the Connie TA last November during the Q&A session with the Senior Officers one guest asked if the ship was required to following the rules of the road of the port they were going to. When asked for clarification the guest asked if the ship was required to stay on the right side if the cars drove on the right side and the left side when the cars drove on the left side.

Aboard VOS, I overheard a woman ask the bartender, "What temperature do you keep the ice cubes at?"

In Puerto Rico a few years ago I was behind 2 woman at Starbucks. To her great surprise when one was given change, she turned to her companion and said, "Wow! Their money looks just like ours!"

Archived