Unbelievable Complaints

Orator

I overheard 2 women complaining in the elevator, "I'm never going to sail on Celebrity again, they have the worst weather!"

Speaking of elevators, wife and I were on the elevator with a young couple and she was complaining that she wished the elevators to be made to either go up or down....Her husband wanted to crawl into a hole but couldn't find one...

A few years back, we were on a southbound Alaska on Summit, which was experiencing some engine trouble. This meant we couldn't keep the schedule, but Celebrity did about everything one could hope to make up for it. We had a free cocktail hour, they would stay late in ports if we arrived late,etc. The only thing they couldn't do much about was our cruise by Hubbard Glacier, which was necessarily short. Yet a lot of people were ready to mutiny. They were actually scheduling meetings on board as to what they should demand. We didn't get it. What was the Captain to do exactly, install a spare engine in Seward?

We had a great time anyway, but then we tend to accentuate the positive and all that (even on land) and just try and enjoy the whiners for their unique, and often amusing, contributions to our lives.

I overheard 2 women complaining in the elevator, "I'm never going to sail on Celebrity again, they have the worst weather!"

Oh man, I should have complained about the downpour of rain in Curacao in April 2010. For an island that only gets about 4" of rain a year, one would have thought that RCI would have known better to go there on the one day of the year when they get all their rain!:rolleyes::D;)

I've seen a few posts on cruise critic over the years where someone bragged about stirring up trouble on their ship and getting others to join them because of a problem on their cruise. Ironically, some of the same posters who are critical of complainers cheered for this person when she posted about her rebel rousing.

Unfortunately,some of these complainers put their thoughts into writing. Five people on the Novemeber 6th CS Holy Land cruise actually sent written complaints criticising an ice carving displayed at the Captain's Club event that honored a very loyal cruiser. Complaints can cost people jobs and benefits. There are legitimate complaints and they should be addressed, but to complain to just cause a problem is wrong on many levels. I would urge my fellow cruisers to send notes complimenting crew when deserved to try to balance the negative.

Unfortunately,some of these complainers put their thoughts into writing. Five people on the Novemeber 6th CS Holy Land cruise actually sent written complaints criticising an ice carving displayed at the Captain's Club event that honored a very loyal cruiser. Complaints can cost people jobs and benefits. There are legitimate complaints and they should be addressed, but to complain to just cause a problem is wrong on many levels. I would urge my fellow cruisers to send notes complimenting crew when deserved to try to balance the negative.

Huh? How did they become offended? I thought I'd heard them all, but I can't imagine what transpired on this one.

I've seen a few posts on cruise critic over the years where someone bragged about stirring up trouble on their ship and getting others to join them because of a problem on their cruise. Ironically, some of the same posters who are critical of complainers cheered for this person when she posted about her rebel rousing.

Regarding my previous post quoted above - The poster in question was irate because the measures taken to address a serious outbreak of norovirus had an adverse affect on her overall enjoyment of the cruise. If I was on that cruise I would be much more annoyed by the way she stirred up a mob so they could complain as a group than whatever the cruise line was doing to address the norovirus issue.

Huh? How did they become offended? I thought I'd heard them all, but I can't imagine what transpired on this one.

Since the complaints were unsigned it is impossible for me to know what motivated them. I know that some people have problems recognizing the accomplishments of others. The letters of complaint were sent to the Restuarant Manager who confirmed the story to me. I also spoke directly to the couple who were honored, who also confirmed. I noticed many, many people posing for a picture with the "Wolf" carving and seemed to enjoy it. On the following cruise ( CS TA) the couple were seated at the Captain's Table hosted by the Hotel Director and presented with the new Celebrity Cookbook signed by the Senior Staff. There appears to be a policy in place that requires action if there are five or more complaints about the same item.

Haha:p While we're on the subject, how about young, obviously able bodied people who take the elevator one floor DOWN! Saw so much of that!!

I can top this! A well-fit looking man in his early 40s in gym clothes with water bottle in hand getting in the elevator on deck 11 and getting OFF on deck 12 to go to the gym!!! All of us couldn't believe it! I sooo wanted to say something to him! :D

Monica

I have quickly realised there are people on cruises who are just there to complain and no matter what the service they will just moan - how sad are they??

I was on Constellation on 7th Sept and one evening as I walked forward to speak to the Head Waiter to get my table the most ignorant American lady pushed in front of me and started actually screaming at him as she had booked a table at 7-30 and it wasn't ready yet and it was 7-35!! I was just shocked and speechless and didn't speak and the head-waiter tried to explain to her that she was on Any-time dining and as soon as a table was free she would get it. She was really rude and so demanding and I felt so sorry for the man on the end of it all. A few nights later we were dining with the captain and he was there to say hello and greet us and he recognised me and I was able to say At least tonight you don't have that really nasty lady and he laughed. No wonder at times why Americans get a bad name due to ladies like this.

I hate the way some people treat the staff with disrespect and if you are reading this now "rude lady" I hope you are cringing as your attitude was just horrendous. You were in Captains Club at the start of the week but I never saw you after this episode as if I had I was going to speak to you if I saw you about your attitude to the staff. You are lucky you weren't back in the lounge again!!

While on Mercury a few years ago, the ship was scheduled for the port of Christmas Island, in the So. Pacific. The first set of tenders did make it ashore, but the tides rapidly shifted, and subsequently the Captain felt the area was too shallow to safely have the tenders continue their run from the ship to the shore.

We were in line waiting for a tender when this was announced. Well....there was a large group of very unruly passengers that were incensed at this announcement. They "demanded" that they be let onboard the tenders to visit this small island. Their demands were not met. They screamed and swore at the staff. One person jumped into the shallow water trying to climp aboard a tender! It was unlike anything we had ever witnessed.

We left that area quickly and went to have some coffee in the Cova Cafe. That is where we again witnessed behavior that quickly getting out of control.

The Captain and Cruise Director announced that due to the change of schedule, all the bar and lounges on the ship would now be serving all drinks free of charge to all passengers.

You would have thought it was a mass sale at Macys! People rushed the bars...lined up 6 deep and acted like cattle.

It was the worse incident of bad behavior we have ever seen, on land or at sea.

I can top this! A well-fit looking man in his early 40s in gym clothes with water bottle in hand getting in the elevator on deck 11 and getting OFF on deck 12 to go to the gym!!! All of us couldn't believe it! I sooo wanted to say something to him! :D

Monica

And you might well have been mortified if he had told you it was due to a medical condition...and he was going to the gym only to work out his upper body....or do stretching excercises.

Sometimes the rush to judgement can be a bit too fast.

Since the complaints were unsigned it is impossible for me to know what motivated them. I know that some people have problems recognizing the accomplishments of others. The letters of complaint were sent to the Restuarant Manager who confirmed the story to me. I also spoke directly to the couple who were honored, who also confirmed. I noticed many, many people posing for a picture with the "Wolf" carving and seemed to enjoy it. On the following cruise ( CS TA) the couple were seated at the Captain's Table hosted by the Hotel Director and presented with the new Celebrity Cookbook signed by the Senior Staff. There appears to be a policy in place that requires action if there are five or more complaints about the same item.

Orator, that smacks of sour grapes and jealousy on the part of those complainers and nothing more! :(

I still remember on one of our AK cruises overhearing a pax complaining at length to a bartender that AK was "highly overrated" because he had seen "more wildlife at my two-hour visit to SeaWorld than I than have on this <expletive deleted> cruise" -- Hey maybe he should have timed his visit for when Shamu took her vacation to AK :D

PS - the guy had a heavy accent so he was NOT an "ignorant" or "rude" American. No need to mention the "source" of the accent :)

Just off the Constellation myself and can attest to the above post.

It was a "complainer's paradise" and I have never sailed with a crankier group. Yes, there were some problems onboard. BIG DEAL. The whining was far worse than any problems.

Just off the same cruise, and I can attest to the above posts...! This group was VERY crankier!! We did not let it ruin our trip, and we all had a GREAT cruise! Yes, there were some issues, but nothing to really complain about...! Just relax and enjoy your vacation...and make the best of what you are dealt with! I do believe the weather was just about perfect except for one day. And I thank the Captain for changing the route to help keep us in the nicer weather...!! Great cruise....!

Wow! Some of these stories are unimaginable. Especially the person who jumped into the water and tried to get into a tender! Not exactly normal behaviour!

Tudorcruiser, that woman obviously "lost it". But I wouldn't limit such behaviour to Americans only. It can happen in any country.

Orator, forgive my "denseness", but why was the sculpture offensive? I don't get it.

I have been cruising for 30 some years now from Regent on down, and you know, ( maybe its me) , I never have found something to complain on.

I take cruise because I love the ocean and being on a ship where I have a dry bed and food is available. Everything beyond that, it to me gravy; I am just as pleased and punch to just be there.

I cant figgure out how some people can complain. I mean they picked the cruise, the ship , the cabin. Come on, no one forced them. If they don't like something, blame themselves... Really !

I also observed that you hear exactly the same complaints no matter what ship or line you are on Regent or NCL. "The line is going down hill". The service is not as good The food isnt up to par, Etc Etc

Too, I have found on every ship, a complainers gathering place. Word travels fast and like lemmings, the malcontent and cranky jerks seem to flock together each trying to out do the other in the their horrible experience,

As I said before, In all my years I have yet to find something to complain about. I guess am not a very experienced wordly, sophicate euritite ;) traveler ,huh?

On a HAL New Year's cruise (fully booked) going on 4 years ago I remember confirming my reservations at the Pinnacle Grill (their upscale dining choice). While there a foursome in front of me couldn't understand why they made a reservation at the Tamarind (HAL's upscale Asian dining choice) and not the Pinnacle. The very nice hostess at the Pinnacle who was trying to help them saw their reservation and pointed out that they had a table for 8 reserved at the Tamarind and a table for 4 reserved at the Pinnacle for that evening. The group said that they preferred the Pinnacle. The HAL person said that the Pinnacle was completely sold out and that there were no additional times available, but that they could keep their reservation there for 4 or that she could accommodate their entire group at the Tamarind. This group demanded a reservation at the Pinnacle for 12! Mind you that this was on a fully booked New Year's cruise, the reservation was clearly their own mistake and there were no tables of 12 available in the Pinnacle obviously. The group demanded that they should cancel other guest's reservations and accommodate their unreasonable request.

I was so fed up listening to this that I interjected, passed my reservation confirmation to the hostess and left. They then loudly asked how "she" (meaning me) got a reservation (I made it on-line about a few months before the cruise). I didn't see this group at the Pinnacle that night so HAL must have accommodated them at the Tamarind. I can't believe that people can be so rude as to think that the ship's staff would even consider canceling other folks' reservations that they made ahead of time to accommodate people that obviously didn't plan ahead AND made a spectacle of themselves as they acted like 2-year-olds having a temper tantrum.

Wow! Some of these stories are unimaginable. Especially the person who jumped into the water and tried to get into a tender! Not exactly normal behaviour!

Tudorcruiser' date=' that woman obviously "lost it". But I wouldn't limit such behaviour to Americans only. It can happen in any country.

Orator, forgive my "denseness", but why was the sculpture offensive? I don't get it.[/quote']

I found the ice carving to be appropriate and wonderful. It was the 5 who complained that found it offensive. Why? They have they're own reasons and problems. Perhaps they will find this thread and post.

Heard on a transatlantic from florida to Europe:

Complaint: "I have no sun on my balcony"

response (should have been): "I'll ask the captain if he can turn the ship around and sail to Europe backwards."

That's a silly answer, can't you arrange to have the sun moved?

I've only had one complaint on my cruises. It's those darn ship photographers. They always make me looker heavier and older than I really am. :rolleyes:

Wow, I have this same problem. Maybe we should schedule a meeting about this obvious injustice and demand a large OBC to make up for our pain and suffering.:rolleyes:

That's a silly answer, can't you arrange to have the sun moved?

Since those people described in post number 44 obviously know they are the center of the universe and everything revolves around them, maybe they could arrange for the sun to be moved. :)

Archived