Open bar cruise???

maarten288

Hi,

I'm trying to get a few friends to go on a cruise but some are saying the alcohol is too expensive for a 7 day cruise (which is what we're looking for).

Does anyone have or know of a group going on one of these cruises in late January, February or March? Even if you could direct me to the roll call or give me an email where they can be reached it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sorry, I should have been a little more clear. I'm looking for a group that's booked in the months mentioned above that have a free alcohol card for the entire cruise. I've read that it's around $300-$400 which would be well worth it for our group.

Celebrity doesn't seem to be the right cruise for our group (27-30 year olds). We're leaning more towards NCL, RCCL or Carnival.

I thought the only way to have a true "open bar" cruise is to pay up and go on a luxury line.

No, Celebrity has drink packages. If you are a heavy drinker, they will save you a lot of money versus buying drinks a la carte. They have two price points, one for basic booze and one that includes premium brands/beers/higher end wines. The packages also cover bottled water, soda, smoothies, fresh squeezed juice, premium coffee drinks etc.

I thought the only way to have a true "open bar" cruise is to pay up and go on a luxury line.

No, I was on Norwegian EPIC recently and meet a group with the open bar card. I was also on another cruise a couple of years ago where a group had the same card on RCCL.

Sorry, I should have been a little more clear. I'm looking for a group that's booked in the months mentioned above that have a free alcohol card for the entire cruise. I've read that it's around $300-$400 which would be well worth it for our group.

Celebrity doesn't seem to be the right cruise for our group (27-30 year olds). We're leaning more towards NCL, RCCL or Carnival.

You should go on NCL or Carnival, probably Carnival as it would be best suited for a 7 day drunk:eek:

I don't have an answer to your question, but my question for you is would you really want to take a cruise with an open bar? I would be nowhere near that cruise.

Yes I would like to be on a cruise with an open bar. It's probally 30 or 40 people out of 3000 and if you have the right group you wouldn't have any problems. I'm sure you've been on many cruises that have groups with an open bar and haven't even noticed.

You should go on NCL or Carnival, probably Carnival as it would be best suited for a 7 day drunk:eek:

Actually, the cruise I've been on with the biggest # of drunks was on RCCL! :eek:

The one Carnival cruise I've been on was very tame actually. This coming from someone that uses all 3 cruise lines (RCCL, NCL and Carnival).

If you find it, let me know which one not to book. The last place I want to be is around 20-30 year olds with unlimited alcohol :p

Yes I would like to be on a cruise with an open bar. It's probally 30 or 40 people out of 3000 and if you have the right group you wouldn't have any problems. I'm sure you've been on many cruises that have groups with an open bar and haven't even noticed.

I have been on a few RCCL cruises where there were large groups with alcohol stickers on their cards. Although I'm not sure how you go about finding one that will accept people outside of their group. Most on the ones I've encountered have been very large family groups or organizations. The only one that seemed to be a group of random people called themselves the "wanderlust" group or something like that. Try doing an internet search.

Why are you guys getting on the OP:confused:...he's looking for something specific, just because you and I might not enjoy it doesn't mean he shouldnt! Other people indulge in all kinds of vices on board...eating, gambling...different strokes I guess.

Sorry OP, other than whats already been mentioned, a drink package, not sure about open bar on RCI other than some groups on an incentive trip whose trip includes alcohol, thus the sticker. Better get out there and sell, sell, sell, if you want to get in on one of those, Maarten!;)

Are you ruling out AI (all-inclusive) resorts? Obviously not a cruise, but most have all-you-can-drink.

There are shore excursions that have open-bar, such as Nachi Cocom in Cozumel, but I have not seen any on the ships itself. At one time I thought RCI (Royal Caribbean) was experimenting with drink packages, but I have not heard any more about it lately.

Drink prices on the cruises are about the same as USA public bars -- $7 to $9, plus 15% tip automatically added. Yes, this can add up, but I can still buy 10 drinks for under $100. I don't think that's too bad a price.

Some cruise lines allow you to bring some alcoholic drinks with you. I think Carnival allows a bottle of wine per person (or per cabin -- not sure). But RCI is very strict and allows none.

The OP is looking to join in on a "group" booking or possibly start one themselves. RC does offer an "open bar" package w/ large groups. It's been a couple years since we've looked into it w/ RC because we were considering it with our wedding cruise. At that time, it was around $400 per person, and every person in every cabin booked had to take the package. Only about half of our group at the time would have taken advantage of it. Now it's been ~3 years since we inquired about it, so things may have changed since then.

Op-if you have 30+ people looking to do this, call RC directly or work w/ a travel agent. To all the crabby people on here, my husband and I have racked up WAY higher bills then that and we are hardly crazy drunks. Even a moderate drinker would make out on that deal and also have the great feeling of knowing what their final bill will be before even going on vacation.

And please do let me know if you book this group outing.....I would love to join ;)

Thanks so much to the last few posters, you're information was much appreciated! I'm not an obnoxious, loud, falling all over the place drunk either but some seem to think that's what you are if you buy into an open bar package.

CruisinMac and KG, I'll be sure to let you know if I find a group with the open bar.:)

It's too late for me to travel but you should check out the July 21, 2012 roll call for Carnival Dream. You might find some useful information there. ;)

OP

If I knew of an AI type cruise that was not an arm and a leg I'd be all over it. I frequent AI resorts and it is your best bet when budget is a factor.

Thanks Debde but I've tried the AI land vacations and don't enjoy them nearly as much as a cruise. I just love waking up in a several different countries in one week. :D If I can't find an open bar cruise, it looks like that's the route we may have to take to please everyone. And that's why I enjoy travelling solo lol.

I am all for the 'open bar ' cruise. I don't drink to excess but it is just a pain to have to pay as you go.

And for those who make disparaging remarks about folks drinking too much, how about those folks who load their plates like they were feeding a third world country. I have seen so many plus size people eating like it was 'feeding time at the trough', it is hard to have to see that. I am no small person myself and still trying to lose a few more pounds but geez, you can always go back for seconds. It's not like they are going to run out of food.

Then we can attack the smokers and the chair hogs and the parents with unruly kids. Where does it stop?

I am sure we all have our vices seen or unseen. Let's stop finding fault with others just because of the preferences. Don't look or go the other way.

Hi,

I'm trying to get a few friends to go on a cruise but some are saying the alcohol is too expensive for a 7 day cruise (which is what we're looking for).

Does anyone have or know of a group going on one of these cruises in late January, February or March? Even if you could direct me to the roll call or give me an email where they can be reached it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Fly to Europe or Asia;): Independence, Grandeur and Legend offer a drinks package for $36/$49/$59pppd.

maarten288

good luck finding a vacation for all! Seems to me it will all work out as you sound like someone who will have fun no matter where!!:D

not like some of the other grouches posting here!!!:eek:

:flee:..........

To all the crabby people on here, my husband and I have racked up WAY higher bills then that and we are hardly crazy drunks. Even a moderate drinker would make out on that deal and also have the great feeling of knowing what their final bill will be before even going on vacation.

;)

LOL! Moderate drinkers at $400 per person??? (Turns to wife) "Honey!!! Ya hear that! Cancel my AA meeting and book another cruise!" :D

LOL! Moderate drinkers at $400 per person??? (Turns to wife) "Honey!!! Ya hear that! Cancel my AA meeting and book another cruise!" :D

With liqour prices these days , especially on a cruise ship, $400 is not all that unbelieveable. Especially on vacation where you tend to drink more than you do in everyday life .

With liqour prices these days , especially on a cruise ship, $400 is not all that unbelieveable. Especially on vacation where you tend to drink more than you do in everyday life .

Ya - kinda hoping that poster was joking about being an alcoholic for spending $400 in booze on a cruise...

I added it up and assuming a bucket of beer is $30 (I think I remember it being around that with tip), only one a day on a seven day cruise is $210! Thats assuming you don't drink "liquor" which is even higher!!

I do believe cruising brings out the inner alcoholic in a few of us, but there is a difference between having a good time a getting drunk. I can moderately drink and spend at least $400...

Happy sailing!

Archived