Open bar cruise???

maarten288

I am all for the 'open bar ' cruise. I don't drink to excess but it is just a pain to have to pay as you go.

And for those who make disparaging remarks about folks drinking too much, how about those folks who load their plates like they were feeding a third world country. I have seen so many plus size people eating like it was 'feeding time at the trough', it is hard to have to see that. I am no small person myself and still trying to lose a few more pounds but geez, you can always go back for seconds. It's not like they are going to run out of food.

Then we can attack the smokers and the chair hogs and the parents with unruly kids. Where does it stop?

I am sure we all have our vices seen or unseen. Let's stop finding fault with others just because of the preferences. Don't look or go the other way.

I want to cruise with you!!! You have the best attitude :):):)

I'm going on one 21 July, 2012 on Carnival. Can't wait!!! It's gonna be a blast!!!

Hey Meme1969,

I seen your post on another forum but unfortunately can't make it in July.:(

Are you going to a special occasion, big group, family or just a bunch of friends?

Celebrity doesn't seem to be the right cruise for our group (27-30 year olds). We're leaning more towards NCL, RCCL or Carnival.

Since Celebrity is the one with the drink packages, don't know if I'd be so quick to blow them off. If you were doing something like a 7 day Caribbean itinerary, you'd probably find the "stuffy factor" about the same as any other line. Also, you would be with your group, and making your own fun.

Really?? A good bottle of wine is around $100. $400 is nothing...

###

Exactly! We budget to stay under $200 total per day, which puts us at $1400 for the week (I can't say that we've actually stuck to that budget, but that's a whole other topic;)) On our Freedom cruise, a bucket of 6 beers ran us about $33 each. So when we get out by the pool in the late morning, we will probably order 3 buckets by time we're done w/ the sun and head down to our cabin and get ready for dinner. We're halfway through our "budget" and we haven't even started the evening yet. I tend to drink martini's in the evening, so at $11-$15 each, it's really VERY easy to pass $400.

The funniest part about it is that this past cruise was my first trip w/ just my husband and I so we figured we wouldn't spend nearly as much money on drinking as we would if we were with a group/family. I happened to check our Sea Pass account around 11:30am on the first full day (not even 24 hours on board) and surprise, surprise our tab was already at $375 :eek::eek: Now in all fairness, that did include two cartons of cigarettes as well, but I've almost blown $400 in the first day, let alone the entire week.

As a disclaimer, we did tame down the drinking after the first day. And yes, not only are we the "dreaded drunken twenty-somethings" everyone hates to cruise with, we are also smokers!! :eek: I just gave the haters a couple more cruises to avoid-see sig below so that you know which to avoid ;)

Maarten,

You can also consider Carnival's Bon Voyage Dept. You can order liters of alcohol that will be delivered to your room. The bottles range from $40-60. I don't think there is a limit to number of bottles you can order. Then you can all take on your own mixers.

While the bottles have a markup, it would definitely save you in the long run from buying drinks at the bar.

I would love it if RC had drink packages on their Caribbean cruises. We cruised last February on Celebrity and took advantage of their drink package and loved it! Very convenient and no we were not falling down drunks! ;)

How many people does it take to make a group so that you can get a group alcohol package? I've just recently heard of this - it's a great idea! Good luck finding a group. We're sailing on Freedom in March and there are 18 in our group - 5 kids though! If you're close to the number you have to have to book a group let us know - there'd be at least 10-12 of our group that would buy a package. :D Of course you'd have to want to cruise at the same time as us! :p

Hi,

MSC has an all inclusive drink package that doesn't require a group booking. In fact they have two, one regular and one premium. Don't recall the pricing but it is on their web-site and seemed reasonable if you drink.

We only like beer and wine. On both of our MSC cruises we didn't bother as they also offer an advance purchase only beer bottle coupon system. 14 beers for about $50.00 and, they had no problem giving us the 16 oz metal bottles with these coupons.

Wine package worked was about $120 for 7 bottles so no complaints there either.

Costa has the X1 that includes draft beer and wine unlimited with meals only.

I wish RCCL offered drink packages to non-group cruisers like X does. I'm NOT a drinker, at home I'll have maybe a bottle of wine (shared with three adults) a week (so 1-2 glasses a week). But when I'm on vacation I love having drinks! It's vacation, it's what you do! That's why I love AIs over cruises. Just walk up to the bar, order whatever you want, and walk away. Easy peasy. I really don't understand why more cruise lines don't go this route. I don't recall seeing a lot of drunks running around any of the resorts I've ever been to (a lot... over a dozen) so it's not like the free flowing alcohol = a bunch of drunken idiots.

Anyway, OP, I have no advice I just wish you well! We have a group of 12 going on a cruise in February (Navigator February 26th) but my TA said this cruise doesn't even offer groups drink packages. If you want that cruise and find out otherwise, however, PLEASE let me know!!!! We'd love to tie in with you. :)

Not really on topic exactly, but Celebrity has one ship that is open bar for everyone every cruise. The Xpedition is a great way to see the Galapagos with about 90 passengers and there is almost nothing available to put on your tab. The paperwork states that certain premium drinks are not included, but no one found a drink that was not included. I bought a $15 hat and got a massage for $60 and that has to be the lowest tab I will ever have for a cruise.

For the (medical) record, moderate drinking is 1-2 drinks a day. Maybe up to four or five a few days during a weeklong vacation. I looked at the drink packages the last time I was on the Solstice and knew I would never come close to making a package a cost effective option.

I would love it if RC had drink packages on their Caribbean cruises. We cruised last February on Celebrity and took advantage of their drink package and loved it! Very convenient and no we were not falling down drunks! ;)

How many people does it take to make a group so that you can get a group alcohol package? I've just recently heard of this - it's a great idea! Good luck finding a group. We're sailing on Freedom in March and there are 18 in our group - 5 kids though! If you're close to the number you have to have to book a group let us know - there'd be at least 10-12 of our group that would buy a package. :D Of course you'd have to want to cruise at the same time as us! :p

At one time they offered a group alcohol package for groups of 50 or more with a set price per person. I don't know if the cruise line still offers it.

Not really on topic exactly, but Celebrity has one ship that is open bar for everyone every cruise. The Xpedition is a great way to see the Galapagos with about 90 passengers and there is almost nothing available to put on your tab. The paperwork states that certain premium drinks are not included, but no one found a drink that was not included. I bought a $15 hat and got a massage for $60 and that has to be the lowest tab I will ever have for a cruise.

For the (medical) record, moderate drinking is 1-2 drinks a day. Maybe up to four or five a few days during a weeklong vacation. I looked at the drink packages the last time I was on the Solstice and knew I would never come close to making a package a cost effective option.

And the least expensive 7 night cruise showing on their website is $2949 PER PERSON before taxes and port fees. In an OCEANVIEW cabin. That's well over $400 per person per day FOR AN OCEANVIEW CABIN.

You have already paid for those drinks, over and above.

That's the same situation you will find on other lines that include drinks in your cruisefare.

Is it included? Yes. Did you pay a premium price for that cruise? Also yes.

To the OP........I'm not aware of any package that Royal Caribbean offers for any kind of a drink package, outside of beer and wine.

When you reach the status of Diamond + you will be invited into the Concierge Lounge, and the free drinks that are offered on a nightly basis.

I can say, that on my last cruise, of a couple of weeks ago, we were traveling with 2 couples, and drinks in the Champagne Lounge, of which we had 3 drinks each, each couple buying a round for the 6, and the tab was running at $85.00 per round. This was for premium drinks, but could have been more, if anyone wanted something over the top.

Being a Pinnacle Club member, and with my bride, we each have 3 drinks per evening. In a normal venue that would equal about $55.00 per evening x 7 equals $385.00 for a week..........so you would be right on saying $400.00 for a weeks cruise.

However, for me........if you are talking about $400.00 per person for a week..........well, in my much younger days.:D:D

If liquor were your main criteria, as some have mentioned, a few other cruise lines might be more to your liking.:)

Rick

I wish RCCL offered drink packages to non-group cruisers like X does.

To the OP........I'm not aware of any package that Royal Caribbean offers for any kind of a drink package, outside of beer and wine.

See#21

Fly to Europe or Asia: Independence, Grandeur and Legend offer a drinks package for $39/$49/$59pppd.

When you reach the status of Diamond + you will be invited into the Concierge Lounge, and the free drinks that are offered on a nightly basis.

I can say, that on my last cruise, of a couple of weeks ago, we were traveling with 2 couples, and drinks in the Champagne Lounge, of which we had 3 drinks each, each couple buying a round for the 6, and the tab was running at $85.00 per round. This was for premium drinks, but could have been more, if anyone wanted something over the top.

Being a Pinnacle Club member, and with my bride, we each have 3 drinks per evening. In a normal venue that would equal about $55.00 per evening x 7 equals $385.00 for a week..........so you would be right on saying $400.00 for a weeks cruise.

However, for me........if you are talking about $400.00 per person for a week..........well, in my much younger days.:D:D

If liquor were your main criteria, as some have mentioned, a few other cruise lines might be more to your liking.:)

Rick

This seems to be the issue. You might want to book a suite (GS and above) this includes free drinks for about 3.5 hours each night. But it appears $$$ is a big issue too.

Or book the cheapest cabin and save the $$ for drinks. You can also watch for happy hours and drink specials..these are posted in the daily compus.

However, basically if you want to roll and party like a rock star...at least someone in your group has to pay the bill. Crusing can be a budget friendly vacation, but not so cheap if you want to really experience everything there is be had while on the ship....it can get costly.

Originally Posted by cruisefan0110 viewpost.gif

I don't have an answer to your question, but my question for you is would you really want to take a cruise with an open bar? I would be nowhere near that cruise.

Likewise....K.O. Near Philly:rolleyes:..Happy cruising

Sure see your point...but isnt the buffet an open bar for food. Why pick on the drinkers....there are just as many if not more overweight over eaters at the food bars.

• 3 months later...

I have been on a number of Thomson cruises from here in the UK. They offer an all inclusive package. We booked our last Thomson cruise very early and got a free upgrade to all inclusive. Yes, there were about half a dozen drunks on the first night but really did not see many more after that - certainly no more than I have seen on any cruise ship. Although I am not a'hardened' drinker, I did enjoy a couple of soft drinks in the day together with the speciality coffees and wine at dinner. It was nice not to have too worry about the bill at the end of the holiday. It even covered a discount on bottled water.

Archived