When to purchase Bev Package?

LilTink13

What are the benefits to purchasing a beverage package (premium) on board or in advance? Is there ever a chance that the premium beverage package could be "sold out" so-to-speak when boarding? I've heard of instances when taxes have been enforced based upon where the ship is sailing from. Is this true? Thanks in advance! :eek:

What are the benefits to purchasing a beverage package (premium) on board or in advance? Is there ever a chance that the premium beverage package could be "sold out" so-to-speak when boarding? I've heard of instances when taxes have been enforced based upon where the ship is sailing from. Is this true? Thanks in advance! :eek:

The only benefit that I can think of is the case where you have a large on board credit and want to use it to pay for the package.

I've heard of one person who liked the idea of having a sticker attached to their shipboard account card rather than having it printed on the card. Said it was easier for the bar staff to see it, but I had no problem with the pre-printed card.

I'd read, but have no first hand knowledge, that purchases made upon boarding the ship in Barcellona were subject to tax. I've not heard of anywhere else when sales taxes were applicable.

One benefit, which I enjoyed, was that by pre purchasing the packages a couple of months in advance, the sting of the package cost, just as the sting of the cruise cost, was long forgotten and I simply enjoyed the cruise as if it were an all inclusive experience.

I cannot imagine any case where they will sell out of packages.

I'd read, but have no first hand knowledge, that purchases made upon boarding the ship in Barcellona were subject to tax. I've not heard of anywhere else when sales taxes were applicable.

I read the same thing.... 8% tax i heard....

One must always be careful of sales tax when in port. To be safe it is wise to wait until you are at least an hour out of port to make purchases. Otherwise, you can ask if you will be charged sales tax when still in or near port. We have been charged tax on drinks ordered while in Bayonne and in Ft Lauderdale...so this practice is not just limited to Barcelona (or other EU countries.

Hank

You are not going to drink much boarding day...so if you purchased 1st full day out you may have an advantage??? OR do they charge full cost and eliminate drink purchases of boarding day?

You're not????????????? Why????????? Get on board at noon and start drinking........... Every other day, not much different

One must always be careful of sales tax when in port. To be safe it is wise to wait until you are at least an hour out of port to make purchases. Otherwise, you can ask if you will be charged sales tax when still in or near port. We have been charged tax on drinks ordered while in Bayonne and in Ft Lauderdale...so this practice is not just limited to Barcelona (or other EU countries.

Hank

I've never had that experience in Ft. Lauderdale, or Miami, Tampa, or Port Canaveral for that matter. Actually, I've never paid sales tax on anything I've purchased on board. But I've never sailed from Barcelona, and I've read that there was an issue where sales taxes were charged there.

On my November cruise on the Millie I pre-purchased the beverage packages. I knew I was going to buy them so I saw no downside to pre-purchasing them since the OBC I had wouldn't even cover the tips... also since I prepaid them I was able to spread the cost out and it didn't "hurt" as bad... I live in Miami and the ship sailed from Miami, I was not charged sales tax.

Our routine involves carrying our own bags on, going straight to the room, unpacking, then heading straight to the pool deck for our first drink... we definitely have a few drinks on the first day and didn't consider it a wasted day... so it was just nice to already have the card and not worry about having to get it at that point etc...

Several other couples in my group were certain they would be charged sales tax unless they waited until after the ship reached international waters.

We met for drinks as soon as we boarded, all our drinks were covered under our beverage package... the other couples had at least 2 rounds before I convinced them they wouldn't be charged sales tax and they went and got the packages and paid the same price I had paid weeks prior...

I do know they went to the front desk to try to get the costs of the first two rounds of drinks refunded but I don't remember what the outcome of that was....

I've never had that experience in Ft. Lauderdale, or Miami, Tampa, or Port Canaveral for that matter. Actually, I've never paid sales tax on anything I've purchased on board. But I've never sailed from Barcelona, and I've read that there was an issue where sales taxes were charged there.

I was charged 8% sales tax last February when we boarded the ship in Miami and I purchased the bev package before we sailed.

Hmmm... this is all interesting. We do have a shipboard credit but's only going to be around 100 bucks after we factor in gratuities and other things. I'm definitely a member of the "going to drink my fair share" on the first day club so that won't be a problem.

Jerseygirl: you are saying that you were charged tax even though you pre-purchased the beverage package online? Is this a new charge/tax?

Jerseygirl: you are saying that you were charged tax even though you pre-purchased the beverage package online? Is this a new charge/tax?

I live in Miami and sailed out of Miami and pre purchased the package online in October for a sailing in November and was not charged the sales tax.

You're not????????????? Why????????? Get on board at noon and start drinking........... Every other day, not much different

AGREED!! Last April on the Summit, my package was pretty much paid off on boarding day!!!

Hmmm... this is all interesting. We do have a shipboard credit but's only going to be around 100 bucks after we factor in gratuities and other things. I'm definitely a member of the "going to drink my fair share" on the first day club so that won't be a problem.

We purchased one online before the cruise (no sales tax, just gratuity). When we boarded and purchased the second package a sales tax was added. We did go down to customer relations and they removed the charge with no hassle but I'm not sure they were obligated to do so. After I mentioned it to a friend she checked her receipt for a cocktail she purchased before we sailed and sure enough an 8% sales tax was charged.

If you buy on board before ship sais then taxes could be added as well as the tip.

If you purchase pre-cruise (on line) then no sales tax. You can use as soon as you board.

Purchase on board you can purchase up until a few days before end of cruise. It will be pro rated ie purchase day 2 of 14 day cruise then you will only be charged for 13 day, Day 3 - 12 days ect. If you purchase as soon as you board you are charged full price and if required for the area you are in sales tax will be added.

We are planning on purchasing the package on our cruise, but like many we have a fairly large ship's credit which we would like to use to offset the cost. So did they really charge sales tax when the package was purchased while still at the dock? Is it necessary to wail until the ship sails? It seems that since the package is a "per day" rate, the only tax they would ever charge would be for the very 1st day, the same as drinks purchased before sailing have a tax charged. The tax on the 1st day would only be about $7 for our two packages, but if they charged tax on all 11 days, then we are talking $77 which may make it worthwhile not to purchase the package until day 2 thus saving $110 for the package and $77 in tax. Since the 1st day is a short day on board, I doubt we would drink $187 worth of drinks.

Good Sailing

Tom

1977 MS Skyward

1978 MS Starward

1979 MS Southward

1981 Sun Princess

1983 SS Norway

1984 SS Emerald Seas

1992 Monarch of the Seas

1993 Costa Allegra

2007 MS Westerdam

2008 MS Zuiderdam

2009 Ruby Princess

2010 Ruby Princess

2011 Emerald Princess

2012 Celebrity Equinox

Yes I am a pirate – Two hundred years too late

I purchased mine as I boarded the ship in Miami. I wasn't charged tax. It may be because they just wrote up sales slips at the sign-up table and probably didn't enter the sale into the system until after we left Miami. It might make a difference if you purchase it at the sign-up table or if you purchase it at a bar where the sale could be entered right away into the system. I would be interested to know if anyone purchased it at the sign-up table and were charged sales tax.

How many days would you be charged for (on a 7 night cruise) if you did not purchase the package until after midnight on the first day of the cruise? (Let's just say that after embarkation one felt tired from their travels, and might not make full use of the package on day 1)

Tom

Ok, time to add my contribution.

Only you can decide if its worth it or not. Don't compare to others.

Estimate what you are likely to drink, Alcohol, Soft drinks, Hot Drinks,

Bottled water, etc.

Consider where you will be eg. on the ship, on a tour, walking in a hot climate,

relaxing in the shade.

Will you want additional drinks with your meals, in the theater, beside the pool?

How many of you are there?

Try to think about what you would likely spend

If you opted for a package would you be more care free with ordering drinks?

If you declined a package would you be more aware and cautious of purchasing drinks?

Either way you will be buying drinks, either its on a package or added to your bill at the end. Note with the package there is no additional 15% service added.

Note with the package there is no additional 15% service added.

Do you mean no additional service is added per drink when you mention no "additional" 15% service added? There is a 15% service charge tacked on when you purchase the package.

I like the package for the short cruise. The total just gets too expensive on a 7 day cruise. But on a 4 or 5 day cruise it's nice to be able to order the special coffees, have a few drinks at the pool, a few glasses of wine at lunch and dinner along with a bottle of San Pelegrino and then evening cocktails. Plus I always pick up a couple of bottles of Evian to take back to the cabin.

From everything I've read on previous boards, I thought the cost of the premium was $54/day PLUS the 15% gratuity? Can someone else jump in to clarify this for me? Thanks very much.........

It is $54.00 per day with a 15% gratuity charges added on top according to their website.

Archived