I will never cruise with Carnival again, and here's why...

kingpinJK

Thank you so much for giving us your honest opinion. I have noticed the same decline the last couple years. I understand cutbacks, etc., but I think a lot of their problem is inadequate training. I think some of it isn't so much food quality as it is that its prepared incorrectly and not kept at proper temperature. No, the food isn't as fancy as it used to be, but still should be better than it is.

I have also noticed that the level of service isn't the same, again I think due to training issues. It's not bad, it just isn't the as good as it used to be.

I am giving Carnival another try in March and if things have further declined since last March, I will try another line. I have cruised on several lines and do think they all have declined somewhat, Carnival just seems to have declined a little more.

I've notice on some of the other cruise line message boards these same things are being discussed, I think these cutbacks and the service standards dropping are industry wide.

I think of it this way:

Carnival has spend 2.2 billion in the last 3 years on 3 new ships. taking just one out would almost guarantee better quality fleet wide.

I've notice on some of the other cruise line message boards these same things are being discussed, I think these cutbacks and the service standards dropping are industry wide.

then some entreprenuer has a ripe ocean to come around and create something olde and alternative!

Perhaps when the OP gets home tonight and can devote more time to it, we'll get to the meat of the complaint. So far, I haven't heard anything that would make me jump to another cruise line other than to enjoy an itinerary not offered by Carnvial. Small whines. offset by several positives. But I'll wait and see.

BTW, flat iron steak is a cut of meat that begs to be marinated then grilled(often used in fajitas or in chili-though chuck is better), versus say a ribeye or sirloin, which can stand up well on it's own with just salt and pepper before grilling. Thus it can be a bit bland just on its own. Lots of cruisers jump on it the first night because they see the word "steak".

OP, I have to agree with you on several points.

I sailed the Conquest in November. I have sailed her a few times before and I did notice she is in need of dry dock. Minor things, but overall the ship looks a little run down.

New Orleans is a little chaotic, but then nothing is as bad as our debarkation from the Magic in Galveston last week after waiting 6 hours to dock because of fog. I only have Galveston to compare to New Orleans, so they are both about the same to me.

The service in the dining room on the Conquest in Nov. was by far the slowest we have ever had. We were not impressed with our waiters. I am not crazy about the new menu either. I much prefer the old menu where I had to decide what to get each night because so many choices were appealing. Now some nights it is as tho I have to pick the lesser of two evils.

I just got off the Magic and the dining staff is far superior. We loved them and while we are not crazy about the new menu, the staff more than made up for it. Hopefully the Conquest crew will get a much needed rest during dry dock and will be improved.

I do love the Conquest and plan to cruise again, but after dry dock.

OP thanks for your honest opinion.

It's nice to see the good and bad through the eyes of the OP.

Looking forward to more.

To those that criticize - remember it is the OP's review. It is that persons opinion it doesn't make them wrong.

I can honestly say that in 25 cruises I have never once felt bored or needed something to "pass the time".

If someone is "bored" and thinks that there's nothing to do on a cruise' date=' then cruising (in my opinion) is obviously the wrong type of vacation for them.[/quote']

Excuse me who said someone was 'Bored'

We all have a different opinion on what we want to do while aboard a cruise.

I stopped counting cruises when I hit 25:rolleyes: and If you look @ my sig Im not loyal to any cruiseline.

Maybe I enjoy lounging in my cabin................ Isnt that my or the OP's choice:confused:

Your cards, dominoes and reading is someone else's "watching TV." What if they closed the Serenity deck, threw all the cards overboard and torched all reading materials? Would you like someone saying to you "Pssh, we never do that stuff anyways, we like to watch TV while we're on vacation so your complaints are trivial."

In terms of the OP, what if your Serenity deck was overun with kids, your deck was missing 14 cards, all the reading materials were copies of the same book. Each one individually is not a big deal, but add them all up and you can get bent. If you're going to offer the product it should be a good quality product no matter what ship or coffee shop or auto parts store you spend your money with. McD's is cheap and you don't expect gourmet, but you do expect a good quality product.

FWIW, we too enjoy lot's of down time in our cabin and on our balcony. Nice to have some decent TV programming. And I like the ship statistical info.

oh, sure it does, especially through the anonymity of the internet. the difference is, if anyone is truely brazen enough to call me a f*ckwad moron dbag whatever, because of my review and to my face, i'll happily supply them my address.

Wow. Maybe some anger management classes in your future?:rolleyes:

You lost me after the chips and salsa. Seriously, why complain about what *brand* chips / salsa are being used on a cruise ship?

Save the complaints for things like the hair on the bed, that's just disgusting.

I have to agree that this complaint was a little petty. Last year we were on RCI Liberty of the Seas and their apps were inedible. Really, really bad.

You lost me after the chips and salsa. Seriously, why complain about what *brand* chips / salsa are being used on a cruise ship?

Save the complaints for things like the hair on the bed, that's just disgusting.

because carnival CAN DO BETTER. pace and tostitos are **** compared to what's offered just a few decks above the MDR.

I think of it this way:

Carnival has spend 2.2 billion in the last 3 years on 3 new ships. taking just one out would almost guarantee better quality fleet wide.

Carnival is spending over $500 million to bring Funship 2.0 to a number of existing ships, including Carnival Conquest later this year.

The only thing removing a ship would do is guarantee higher prices.

I grew up on Beef farm " Flat Iron Steak " should'nt even be served as steak , we took that cut of meat and through into Hamburger , that is good meat for other things but I would never serve that as steak. I know Carnival has to cut back where it can but they are just asking for complaints if you serve that at dinner.

Why do I have a feeling that this thread is going to be poofed or locked soon?:rolleyes:

That would be unfair to the OP who has not finished the review yet.

Not to beat a dead horse (pardon the pun), but as bad as the flat iron may be, it was never as bad as the steak they served on RCI in the MDR. Just awful. I think it was the first time that I couldn't eat something on a cruise.

That would be unfair to the OP who has not finished the review yet.

Not to beat a dead horse (pardon the pun), but as bad as the flat iron may be, it was never as bad as the steak they served on RCI in the MDR. Just awful. I think it was the first time that I couldn't eat something on a cruise.

Do you mean their famous " black angus steak" if I had it one more time at the buffet i think I was going to scream the last time we cruised on RCI:)

because carnival CAN DO BETTER. pace and tostitos are **** compared to what's offered just a few decks above the MDR.

Better? What constitutes better? That's your personal opinion and it is not Carnival's fault that you tend to like one *brand* over another. If you simply do not like Pace and Tostitos, DON'T ORDER IT. It's that simple.

I am flattered by the amount of picky people out there that are just so hard to please. The food on Carnival or most any other cruise ship is good. It may not be as good as a 5-star hotel, but it's not as bad as some critics make it out to be either. I, along with the other folks who cruised in our group, had no problem finding something GOOD to eat, be it in the MDR or the buffet.

Archived