Costa Concordia sinking (merged threads)

ItalianGuest

Boat drills are meant to familiarize passengers with their boat stations, alarms etc.

I have never once attended a boat drill and thought this is where I'll be in an emergency. Fire could block the route, the ship could be listing etc.

The main thing is I grab my lifejacket, know how to put it on and go where directed.

I've always figured I'll end up in a liferaft in the worst case scenario.

Listing was a problem with the ANDREA DORIA and they couldn't launch boats from one side. Since, davits are designed to handle a certain degree of listing. But a list like the Costa ship makes launching pretty tough.

From one news report I read:

Malcolm Latarche, editor of maritime magazine IHS Fairplay Solutions, said a loss of power coupled with a failure of backup systems could have caused the crew to lose control.

"I would say power failure caused by harmonic interference and then it can't propel straight or navigate and it hit rocks," Latarche said.

Wow, that's pretty interesting about possibly getting her righted, patched, repaired and maybe back in serivice in a few months? Thank you very much for update and we'll watch for more info as the process unfolds.

But as good as that sounds, there are a lot of people that have to heal through this horror first. m--

THANKS so much.

Good to know the ship (apparently) will be saved to sail again.

Really appreciate your sharing this info with us. I have huge curiousity about it. :o

All the best to your B-I-L. He has a big job to do. :)

Has he done this before with a mega cruise ship? A year is along time out of service but if it's salvagable they will have a product back on the market sooner than building somthing from scratch. Wishing him and his crew safe work. Thanks again. m--

Isn't the Captain supposed to go down with the ship?

Remember the Miracle on the Hudson? Captain Sullenberger was the last to leave the aircraft.

It seems this guy was no Sully! And there's a long string of cruise ship captains who chose to leave before passengers. m--

Has he done this before with a mega cruise ship? A year is along time out of service but if it's salvagable they will have a product back on the market sooner than building somthing from scratch. Wishing him and his crew safe work. Thanks again. m--

I don't think so, but they specialize in the large ships. You can see some pictures on their website http://www.titansalvage.com/ and read an article about him (partially) and about what he does at http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/magazine/16-03/ff_seacowboys?currentPage=all

Well.... he says a few months to get her towed back wo where ever Carnival wants it. But I'm guessing it will probably take a year, give or take a few months, to get her up and running again. Because they pretty much have to re-do the entire inside of the ship.

Thanks so much for the update from your brother in law. As to how fast they can refurbish the ship you would all be AMAZED :eek::eek: what can be done in a couple of WEEKS not to mention months! I have been through a dry-dock when the entire ship is ripped apart and refurbished and put back together in 2 weeks! You never think it's going to be ready for the passengers but somehow it is!!:D As the entire ship is not under water they will only need to rip out the furnishings that are and replace them. The ship itself won't be under salt water so long as to start damage so they should be able to strip everything to the steel (same as they do in any normal dry-dock) and refurbish from there. Assuming the structural is OK for sailing she should be OK to sail within a year. These are all BIG "if's" though.

Patch her up?

What are they going to do - put an inner tube in her?

The public has just assumed that if a ships hull is breached, water tight doors close and that is that. This accident demonstrates that this just isn't the case. Naval design has made great strides, but innovations are too expensive to be incorporated into cruise ships. Lets be happy the hull wasn't breached in the open sea.

This will cause a shake-up in the industry. This was no third rate fly-by-night company. This was a modern ship ultimately owned by the biggest cruise company in the world. It is a no brainer that questions of profit over safety will be raised. Also as this has happened in the midst of a global financial crisis, the affect will be amplified.

Carnival grew too big, too fast. It demanded balconies be built into transatlantic liners and maybe now the public will seriously review policies which place profit over common sense.

The truly good news here is that so few lives were lost. Perhaps this will result in the long overdue shake-up in the industry.

Smooth sailing...

I don't think so, but they specialize in the large ships. You can see some pictures on their website http://www.titansalvage.com/ and read an article about him (partially) and about what he does at http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/magazine/16-03/ff_seacowboys?currentPage=all

Thanks for the links -- read both of them.

Very impressive!!

I just talked to my brother-in-law and he just got off the ship after being on it for a while and says, "The pictures make it look a lot worse than it really is. The entire ship will have to be re-upholstered and such. I'll probably get all the stuff out [stuff being beds, chairs, fuel, etc.], patch `er up, pump the water out, and tow her to where ever Carnival wants me to, and then get paid." He also said that it will probably cost Carnival $150 million+ and take him a few months.

He said he can't really say any more (in terms of how it happened and what he's seeing because it's being investigated) and the above way he will be handling things is preliminary (of course). But he says if the same thing were to happen to him (he has his unlimited masters license) he would have "high tailed 'er outta there." Now he is probably extremely busy, and called my wife to let her know he was safe, so I probably won't talk to him for a few days. But I'll keep y'all updated.

Thank you for this information!!

Just heard on CBC that he is definitely arrested! there have been enough witnesses state that he evacuated before them so he is definitely under arrest - for that, manslaughter and much more apparently:eek:

QUOTE: "Porto Santo Stefano, Italy (CNN) -- The purser of the ill-fated Costa Concordia was rescued Sunday morning after crews found him trapped in a restaurant, more than a day after the ship ran aground off the coast of Tuscany, killing at least three people and injuring 20 others, authorities said.

The purser, an Italian crew member, was suffering from hypothermia when rescue crews found him, said Commander Filippo Marini, spokesman for the Port Authority of Porto Santo Stefano.

The identity of the purser was not immediately released." UNQUOTE

More here: http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/15/world/europe/italy-cruise-deaths/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

I'm hoping they find many more survivors!!

Joanie

People have told of having to make their way out of Concordia through pitch-black corridors. HAL has the safety-light strips along the floor and we have often noticed them being tested during crew drills. Does Costa not have these? Or are they purely for smoke and not for power failures (i.e. do they run from ship's power and not batteries)? Or battery power may have shorted also as the ship flooded?

I think going down with the ship is a bit much, but he should certainly stay until everybody who can be found is off, and trained rescue personnel have taken over. Or if his corporate supervisors order him to leave.

Of course, when you have screwed up totally, going down with the ship can be a good career move.

Its too bad they lied about it being an electrical problem to begin with. Glad they weren't so far out in those waters!

Lets stick with facts. Do we know there wasn't an electrical problem? Reports (nothing official) say someone said there was an electrical problem. How do we know, at this point, there wasn't an electrical problem?

Too quick to be calling people liars.

Archived