Italians showing off???

bazzaw

No gentlemancruiser.... But perhaps it does suggest lack of judgement! It is pretty obvious that the ship was Buzzing the island. It is an Italian Ship with an Italian Captain in Command. Had I buzzed something in my Jumbo Jet I suspect I may well be accused (in the hearing) of using bad judgement!

All of the recent cruise ship collisions invloving major brands have been by Italian Captains on Carnival Corp ships. It's not racist. It's not prejudice. It is fact.

In recent years, The Carnival Splendor collided with the docked Radiance of the Seas, and in a separate incident shortly after, collided with a dock and punctured a hole in the stern. In Cozumel, the Carnival Legend collided with the docked Enchantment of the Seas. In Key West, the carnival Fantasy collided with the Carnival Imagination. Now this, which might have been caused by showboating. I really hope this corporation is taking note.

Without detailed analysis this shows nothing but a nightime sailaway. This is shot from so far and that the position to land is hard to judge for anyone without experience.

Anyone sail inside passage, shot from the right angle could look exiciting. Damm my departure from Venice could be shot in such a way to mimick a disaster.

Changes nothing that the disaster could have been likely avoided, rocks and reefs generally don't move do they?....

Looks to me like an amateur video taken with a camcorder. In fact, the film is actually zoomed in during the filming - when zoomed , the perspective does not appear to change much and the ship is so close that you can clearly read it's name.

But then again - I am not a forensic scientist.

Barry

Okay. This post is extremely insulting and of course racist. You do not know much about the italian culture at all. You left out the fact that the people of the island took the clothes from their own souvenir shops to help cover the cold people and also opened their homes to them. Italy is in a serious financial crisis and the store owners are taking a monetary loss that they cannot afford to help people in their time of need. If you want further explanation of how poor these people are I will give you more detail as I am here in the country now. This is an example of the goodness of mankind.

As for "showing off".... I think all of us look at cruise ships in awe. The people of the island may not be very well cultured and seeing the beauty of the ship makes them happy and connected to the outside world. Now, I agree that clearly the captain on THIS sailing is in big trouble and I agree he is a murderer. He is in a lot of trouble abandoning ship while people had not been evacuated. If you want to speak racist generalities Italians are known for their sense of family.

I am sorry for your ignorance.

Italy is a country, a political definition, not a race.

You can be of any race and can be Italian.

Another Italian cruise ship running aground last week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZQKpFHbZ04&feature=g-all-c&context=G204f399FAAAAAAAAAAA

Doesn't look racist to me.

Italy is a country, a political definition, not a race.

You can be of any race and can be Italian.

Another Italian cruise ship running aground last week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZQKpFHbZ04&feature=g-all-c&context=G204f399FAAAAAAAAAAA

Doesn't look racist to me.

I do not like to get in back and forth battles but might I suggest you read the header of this post.

It's evening here, hopefully the news will be better in the morning. Last report here there is an American missing gentleman with his 5 year old daughter. Sorry my bf is sleeping now but this is from an italian news site that I do not recall the web address. 2 women that were accounted for on ground on the original deployment have gone missing. Still a lot of unanswered questions and I pray for the best outcome for those still unaccounted for.

I do not like to get in back and forth battles but might I suggest you read the header of this post.

It's evening here, hopefully the news will be better in the morning. Last report here there is an American missing gentleman with his 5 year old daughter. Sorry my bf is sleeping now but this is from an italian news site that I do not recall the web address. 2 women that were accounted for on ground on the original deployment have gone missing. Still a lot of unanswered questions and I pray for the best outcome for those still unaccounted for.

Might I suggest you work on your dictionary and/or reading comprehension?

We all hope for a positive outcome, but don't let emotions cloud the facts and definitions of words.

Don't feel bad Frank. Italians are not stupid or foolish. Australians still haven't figured out the art of tipping. That is how they show off their ignorance to the rest of the world. Bet I get flamed for this.

Australians (and some of us Brits) have got it right. How can you call tipping an art ?

Might I suggest you work on your dictionary and/or reading comprehension?

We all hope for a positive outcome, but don't let emotions cloud the facts and definitions of words.

May I suggest you too end with the insults? I have been to 22 countries, on 14 cruises and travel 8 months of the year. I think I am doing just fine and comprehend a lot more than the average person that sits at home all day picking fights with strangers on message boards.

Speak as you wish, I am not the only one that finds the original comments offensive. I said my peace and have moved on as indeed there are more important things going on out there and with the sad tragedy

Good evening and happy travels

Australians (and some of us Brits) have got it right. How can you call tipping an art ?

:) I adore England and will be back in 9 days. Used to go all the time before I caught the italian bug:) How I miss tea and scones. Made sure my hotel by the LGW airport has afternoon tea:) And the manor homes and gardens found a nice spot not far from the airport, 2 nights:)

May I suggest you too end with the insults? I have been to 22 countries, on 14 cruises and travel 8 months of the year. I think I am doing just fine and comprehend a lot more than the average person that sits at home all day picking fights with strangers on message boards.

Speak as you wish, I am not the only one that finds the original comments offensive. I said my peace and have moved on as indeed there are more important things going on out there and with the sad tragedy

Good evening and happy travels

Your piece was certainly informative and entertaining.

Good night, happy travels.

:)

Lets not have a *flame war* over diction/grammar or Italian politics .

5 people have now lost their lives

nigh on 3,000 will be suffering the most horrific traumas for a long time

The Capt has been arrested - whether thats Italian *norm* or not - its fact and also Fact - the shpping line are NOT backing the Capt. He was off course in unchartered Seas and too close to the shore. Left the ship before his passengers and delayed in sending a May Day Alert...

Sadly for all onboard, to have to have suffered such a horrendoues ordeal.

This is a HUIGE WAKE UP call for all ship owners- Safety MUST come before profit ........ and from what has been reported so far , even the crew - (when it came to it)- had little knowledge of the actual evacuation procedures

Obviously I am aware that NO ONE would ever expect a ship to keel over - - hampering evacutaion -- but important lessons must be learnt now .

We sail on 27 th ...........:cool:

Getting back to the original post and the video. Here is a link to suggest that it did happen last year and the Captain was doing a similar sail by on this voyage when he obviously went to close. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9016774/Italy-cruise-ship-disaster-did-island-sail-past-put-ship-on-course-for-disaster.html

Jennie

. . . I do wish the OP's title were a bit more informative---I almost didn't open it as I am averse to crappo threads. Good find!

Some people are reading way too much into the title. The video is interesting for sure.

Don't let yourself get worked up about wordsmithing especially considering that people lost their lives on a sinking ship.

+1 on each of these.

Getting back to the original post and the video. Here is a link to suggest that it did happen last year and the Captain was doing a similar sail by on this voyage when he obviously went to close. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9016774/Italy-cruise-ship-disaster-did-island-sail-past-put-ship-on-course-for-disaster.html

Jennie

And since Costa knew of previous diversions in the past....more than just the Captain may be liable or prosecuted.

Good on you Barry for not calling a spade a shovel.

Any shipmaster that allows his vessel to get within a few hundred metres of any coast on a voyage, when not in pilotage waters, should be sacked. If Costa Concordia passed between those islets south of the Giglio port as the AIS shows - what were they thinking - its only about 50 metres wide.

To endanger the lives of over 4000 souls & a 114,000 grt vessel is ------ I am speachless.

What happened to good seamanship, expert navigation & bridge management. Costa's management needs looking at & if they knew about the previous close passes - they should also be in the dock.

If this culture is commonplace with Costa & others - then thats another reason I will never sail with them.

Carnival Corp should investigate Costa - its management & senior officers.

John

Master mariner - 45 years in the Merchant Marine & 15 in command.

Good on you Barry for not calling a spade a shovel.

Any shipmaster that allows his vessel to get within a few hundred metres of any coast on a voyage, when not in pilotage waters, should be sacked. If Costa Concordia passed between those islets south of the Giglio port as the AIS shows - what were they thinking - its only about 50 metres wide.

To endanger the lives of over 4000 souls & a 114,000 grt vessel is ------ I am speachless.

What happened to good seamanship, expert navigation & bridge management. Costa's management needs looking at & if they knew about the previous close passes - they should also be in the dock.

If this culture is commonplace with Costa & others - then thats another reason I will never sail with them.

Carnival Corp should investigate Costa - its management & senior officers.

John

Master mariner - 45 years in the Merchant Marine & 15 in command.

John

In all fairness, we still don't know why the ship was in close to the island.

There is the possibility that it was a common thing to do (as evidenced by the video and other statements by islanders that are emerging) -- but there is still the original report that the ship had something go wrong with it mechanically/electrically in the main channel between island and mainland and then headed for the port for some reason (and then collided with rocks). There is also a report that the ship collided with unseen rocks in the middle of the channel between island and mainland before heading for shallow waters. (But this seems to go against the apparent admission by the Captain that he was 300 metres from rocks when he struck them)

End result is ship on rocks - and Costa seem to be abandoning their Captain already.

Barry

Well Costa has already clearly thrown Captain Francesco Schettino under the bus:

We are working with investigators to find out precisely what went wrong aboard the Costa Concordia. While the investigation is ongoing, preliminary indications are that there may have been significant human error on the part of the ship’s Master, Captain Francesco Schettino, which resulted in these grave consequences. The route of the vessel appears to have been too close to the shore, and the Captain’s judgment in handling the emergency appears to have not followed standard Costa procedures. We are aware that the lead Prosecutor has levelled serious accusations against the ship’s Captain, who joined Costa Crociere in 2002 as a Safety Officer and was appointed Captain in 2006, after acting as Staff Captain as well. As all Costa Masters, he has been constantly trained passing all tests. In light of these accusations and the continuing investigation, it would be inappropriate for us to comment further at this time.

http://www.costacruises.co.uk/B2C/GB/Info/concordia_statement.htm

Archived