New Dress Code/Fashion Warning

Oxo

We always think we have it so bad and we don't know what to wear on Formal nights. LOL

Fashion warning for anyone planning an appearance at Royal Ascot's Royal Enclosure this summer in Britain: New rules require women to wear hats, not fascinators.

Fascinators, for the fashion-challenged, are a cross between a hair accessory and mini-hat, and can tend toward the outrageous. Strapless or spaghetti-strap tops and dresses are also banned this year and men must wear a suit and tie, the BBC reports.

And no, repeat no, short dresses.

Organizers posted the revised dress code for 2012 today in a move to restore formality, the BBC says.

"It is probably fair to say the dress code hasn't necessarily been enforced quite as rigorously as we might have liked," says Ascot spokesman Nick Smith, the BBC reports. "There is no doubt our customers would like to get back to a situation where it is universally acknowledged this is a formal occasion and not an occasion where you might dress as you would at a nightclub."

Here's an excerpt from the new dress code, in the original English:

Ladies are kindly reminded that formal day wear is a requirement in the Royal Enclosure, defined as follows:

Dresses and skirts should be of modest length defined as falling just above the knee or longer;

Dresses and tops should have straps of one inch or greater;

Jackets and pashminas may be worn but dresses and tops underneath should still comply with the Royal Enclosure dress code;

Trouser suits are welcome. They should be of full length and of matching material and colour;

Hats should be worn; a headpiece which has a base of 4 inches (10cm) or more in diameter is acceptable as an alternative to a hat.

Ladies are kindly asked to note the following:

Strapless, off the shoulder, halter neck, spaghetti straps and dresses with a strap of less than one inch (2.5cm) are not permitted;

Midriffs must be covered;

Fascinators are no longer permitted in the Royal Enclosure; neither are headpieces which do not have a base covering a sufficient area of the head (4 inches / 10cm).

Gentlemen are kindly reminded that it is a requirement to wear either black or gray morning dress which must include:

A waistcoat and tie (no cravats); and

A black or grey top hat; and

Black shoes.

A gentleman may remove his top hat within a restaurant, a private box, a private club or that facility's terrace, balcony or garden. Hats may also be removed within any enclosed external seating area within the Royal Enclosure Garden.

The customisation of top hats (with, for example, coloured ribbons or bands) is not permitted in the Royal Enclosure.

Except for the fascinators [which are a fairly recent innovation], I do not think there is anything new in the dress code. It just seems that they have decided to enforce the code again after a number of very lax years.

Sue

In the film Oklahoma! Aunt Eller tells Curly if he takes her to the box social she'll wear her fascinator. The story takes place in 1906. So, it's far from a recent innovation. Just something that's come back as is the case with fashion.

I never wear hats always a fascinators. I have a small head and have been unable to get a hat to fit! They always fall down over my ears! Not the best look in the world.

So it looks like I will be unable to join the racegoers in the Royal enclosure!!

But I do applaude the enforcing of the rules.

At least their requirements are printed for everyone to see.

I am so sick of Suggested Attire and then tons of people will not follow it, saying, "It's only suggested" So I say BRAVO and good for them

Suggested is just a nice way of saying something when speaking to intelligent adults. The idea of course is that everyone will follow the suggested attire.

Haha to all the tongue-in-cheek responses! I must say that I love a dress code and appreciate when it is enforced! I love to shop for clothes but am so disappointed when I have so few places to wear the, including church! Can't believe how many folks wear jeans Sunday after Sunday! :confused:

Haha to all the tongue-in-cheek responses! I must say that I love a dress code and appreciate when it is enforced! I love to shop for clothes but am so disappointed when I have so few places to wear the, including church! Can't believe how many folks wear jeans Sunday after Sunday! :confused:

• 2 weeks later...
Suggested is just a nice way of saying something when speaking to intelligent adults. The idea of course is that everyone will follow the suggested attire.
"Suggested" is a nice way to start an unending argument.

Intelligent adults try to avoid unending arguments.

• 1 month later...
I never wear hats always a fascinators. I have a small head and have been unable to get a hat to fit! They always fall down over my ears! Not the best look in the world.

So it looks like I will be unable to join the racegoers in the Royal enclosure!!

But I do applaude the enforcing of the rules.

My head, too, is small. I don't wear hats, but I have a ball cap that I wear sometimes to keep the sun and my hair off my face. However, it is a "junior" size, and it fits wonderfully!

Archived