What happened with Island Night

TorontoTL

For many years Princess has had an Island Night theme during which many travellers wore their colourful island attire. On our last cruise in the fall, there was no such night on the Ruby. Has Princess done away with island night? Is there no reason to bring island shirts on our upcoming cruises?

For many years Princess has had an Island Night theme during which many travellers wore their colourful island attire. On our last cruise in the fall, there was no such night on the Ruby. Has Princess done away with island night? Is there no reason to bring island shirts on our upcoming cruises?

Hi, Benny. In the Patters posted by geoherb from his 12/17 sailing, there was an Ultimate Deck Party on the 4th night of the cruise. Maybe this is just another name for the former Island Night fun :)

Safe travels to FLL. See you onboard.

Chris

That is what they called it on both our cruises in December on the Crown, The Ultimate Deck Party. It was the same party though as what used to be Island Night and the waiters in the dining room were dressed in Hawaiian shirts. Guess they have just updated the name.:confused:

That is what they called it on both our cruises in December on the Crown, The Ultimate Deck Party. It was the same party though as what used to be Island Night and the waiters in the dining room were dressed in Hawaiian shirts. Guess they have just updated the name.:confused:

I would guess the new name make the party/night more applicable to more itineraries than just the Caribbean.

Just a thought

Srpilo

Yes we had the Ultimate Deck Party on the Ruby as well. What confused me was that there was no indication in the Patter that evening that Island attire was the attire of the evening, unlike when they used to have an Island night. The dinning room on the Ruby the night of the Ultimate Deck Party looked like any other night. The passengers weren't in island shirts and neither were the staff.

Had it the other day on Ruby!

The Ultimate Deck Party on the Ruby last February did not have the great food spread on deck like was featured on previous Caribbean cruises on the Sun, Caribbean, and The Crown. Have they done away with the food part of the party on Princess?

The Ultimate Deck Party on the Ruby last February did not have the great food spread on deck like was featured on previous Caribbean cruises on the Sun, Caribbean, and The Crown. Have they done away with the food part of the party on Princess?

Various posters have said that the fruit and dessert spread no longer exists at that party.

Another way of cutting costs and cutting fun.

Ultimate Deck Party on Emerald in October and while it didn't mention it specifically, the crew did have island-style shirts on and it did have the island theme.

On our sailing of the Ruby there were no island shirts worn by the staff in the dining room. Perhaps it was because it was the first Caribbean sailing of the season?

On our last two Caribbean cruises, Princess had the Island Night party at the pool, but I had noticed they had done away with the buffet set-up. There was the music and the dancing and the throwing of streamers, but I loved the moderate buffet that they set up there. By no means am I am complaining, since I know that the company has to do things that make economical sense, too. Maybe they have another reason for doing it, I don't know, but I did like all of the fruit that they would put out. I still had fun even without the extra food. :)

In early January, the Grand had an "Ultimate Deck Party" about halfway through the week. The theme would pass for "Island Night." There was a lot of talk in the runup to the evening by the entertainment staff, encouraging people to come out to the party and bring the loudest Island shirt you can find, or buy one in port that day. All the waitstaff had their island shirts, but there were no special decorations in the MDR. That night there was music, dancing, and a lei for everyone on deck. I didn't see a buffet, but I'm not sure since I went to a show and wasn't around long.

Here's a few photos of the Ultimate Deck Party on the Golden last year. Same as the Island Night Party, just a different name (and with more of a Hawaiian theme):

5591346490_a40a128723_z.jpg

Golden Princess by Jasperdo, on Flickr

5591346356_3b6eaac6e1_z.jpg

Golden Princess by Jasperdo, on Flickr

I like it so much more when it is done at the aft adult's only pool area. When we cruised on the Sapphire last May they did it at the aft pool. The time before on the Sapphire they did it at the main pool. All other times on the Sapphire it's been aft so I'm hoping it stays that way for my next cruise. When we sailed the Crown a few years ago it was like your picture above, at the main pool. Still fun but not quite the same.

Archived