Standing Room Service Coffee Order

sullaRaffaello

On HAL, is it possible to make arrangements at the beginning of the voyage to have coffee and juice delivered to the cabin at a given time every morning, or do you have to order it every day? If so, who would it be made through, room service, or the cabin steward? I've been able to do this on other lines.

It's easy enough to take a pencil, check off what you want and hang the card on your door.

Why not make it as easy for the stewards as you can and in the meantime leave yourself the least chance of error for your order being forgotten.

JMO........

On HAL, is it possible to make arrangements at the beginning of the voyage to have coffee and juice delivered to the cabin at a given time every morning, or do you have to order it every day? If so, who would it be made through, room service, or the cabin steward? I've been able to do this on other lines.

As I remember, or at least I think I remember, you could once leave a standing order. It might have even been a different cruise line. Anyhow, you have to leave a request card on the door at night before you go to bed.

Just use the room service menu card the night before...takes a few seconds.

One hint: Check the temperature of the coffee when they bring it and before the steward leaves. They prefill many coffee pots prior to service and it cools off.

Not major problem, but im a stickler for HOT coffee...not lukewarm. they'll gladly refill and re deliver quickly

I have never heeard of standing orders for coffee -- i.e. -- room service on HAL.

Each evening your cabin steward will leave a breakfast menu on your bed.

Just fill out what time you want delivery as well as what type of coffee (reg or decaf), cream, sugar, etc.

In the wee hours of the morning someone goes around all the decks and picks up the orders.

Interstingly when we were on the Oosterdam cruise to Alaska last summer, they delivered our room service coffee every morning in the 30 minute window prior to the time slot we had requested.

Towards the end of the cruise we considered ordering it for a window that was 30 minutes later than we wanted, but we were afraid that would be the one time they really paid attention to our requested time and we might miss an excursion, so we just kept hoping for that 30 minutes more of sleep.

When I don't have a lot of flexibility on room service delivery time, I write in "closer to beginning of time slot, please", or something along those lines. They do seem to pay attention and fulfill that request.

are always a surprise to us. Some days we get half of what we order and others twice as much. I wouldn't trust them to do a standing order. I have one for ice every day at 4 but it can come at 3 or 5 or I might have to call each day.

are always a surprise to us. Some days we get half of what we order and others twice as much. I wouldn't trust them to do a standing order. I have one for ice every day at 4 but it can come at 3 or 5 or I might have to call each day.

Surely ice is not from room service but from your steward. :confused:

Is it really all that difficult and time consuming to fill out the little card at night? We are so happy to wake up to coffee and juice on our verandah that we would could care less about filling out the card every night or placing a standing order.

I realize that cruisers are very busy on cruise but it only takes a minute out their schedule to get it done.

We had the same issue with ice on our last HAL cruise-very hit and miss with the steward. In the end, we just went to the stewards service area, opened the door, and helped ourself to the ice. Not really a big issue for us and not something that would impact our future cruise decisions.

Is it really all that difficult and time consuming to fill out the little card at night? ...

Yes, if I'm on a line that's known for good service, which from what I see on this board, HAL is. I've been able to have a standing order on Cunard and Seabourn. In fact, it was a room steward on Cunard who suggested this. I'm hoping realnurse2 is correct. However, if not, it's not the end of the world. It will just say something about HAL vs the other 2 lines.

That is why we gave up room service years ago -- orders not correct -- orders not hot -- and a couple of times we never got our orders in spite our calling a few times and the concierges calling a couple of times.

Yes, if I'm on a line that's known for good service, which from what I see on this board, HAL is. I've been able to have a standing order on Cunard and Seabourn. In fact, it was a room steward on Cunard who suggested this. I'm hoping realnurse2 is correct. However, if not, it's not the end of the world. It will just say something about HAL vs the other 2 lines.

We have sailed on Cunard.

There is a big difference between Cunard and HAL.

Why not just take a moment and fill out the card each evening?

Of course, I have no idea what you pay on Seabourn vs what you are paying on HAL but we always sail in "S or SA" suites on HAL so I have done like to like comparisons...... Our large suite on HAL vs similar size cabin on Seabourn.

If one pays very much more for their suite on Seabourn or Cunard, one should expect more.

If one is paying a good deal less, I don't think they should expect all to be the same.

There is a reason for the high fare...

IF you are paying the same or similiar, then you will be able to take note of the differences and all that would be considered when making future bookings.

HAL ships are much larger than Seabourn, they don't pretend to be Seabourn and you should not expect a Seabourn experience on HAL. HAL is more known as premiere cruise line while Seabourn is more known as deluxe.

IMO

I can see the simplicity (and possibly the accuracy) of having a standing offer for room service to a cabin versus a card submitted everyday.

Like the OP said, it's no biggie, but if I decided I wanted the same thing everyday, I'd probably give it a try and get that set up first day and then I could forget about it (maybe!) If it didn't work well, then I would just revert to the card system...again...no biggie.

As for as on-board staff, with the right management practice (maybe it is computer driven behind the scenes), this would also simplify the paper handling and data entry tasks for them as well.

Should be a win win!:)

What a great cruise!!! I hope you will post when you return and let us know if a standing order is possible. This may be one thing that varies from cruise to cruise. I thought breakfast room service on HAL was fabulous and agree with the posters that say it might be easier for both room service and passengers to have standing orders in the computer. But, if it doesn't work, I agree with those that say it's not a big deal to put the order out the night before (unless, of course, the late night revelers take them off on their way "home"). I hope you have a fabulous cruise, Cherie

A very simple solution to this dilemma.

Why chance confusion and just put the card out each night?

Yes, there is no problem doing this. It's just that with something as simple as coffee and juice, I wouldn't think there'd be a big deal. I don't intend to have a standing order for a complicated breakfast.

As far as Seabourn goes, the major luxuries there are the tiny passenger complement (around 200 on the little sisters), upscale food (e.g., caviar, foie gras) with special orders, and unlimited open bar. I found the cabin service to be very good, but really no better than any other line.

There is a big difference between Cunard and HAL.
That's interesting. I was led to believe that Cunard and HAL were very similar.
I hope you have a fabulous cruise, Cherie
Thanks!

Archived