On Summit Now ...and Never Again!

The Admiral

Okay, maybe, but I still hope he either gets a CLUE about how to dress for dinner and DOES IT, or he books his next cruise on NCL or anybody else but Celebrity. I'm so worn out on "SPECIAL PEOPLE", for whom the rules don't apply...:cool:

Congratulations to Celebrity for enforcing the dress requirements which are published in the ticket before boarding, in the stateroom upon boarding in the waiting newsletter, and each day in the newsletter!!! Obviously "The Admiral" doesn't bother to read or just prefers to march to his own drummer. Perhaps he would be happier marching to the informal restaurant on Lido Deck instead of standing improperly dressed and pouting at the Dining Room door at the next seating!

I sense this passenger is a chronic out-of-uniform scofflaw and serial complainer who demeans the Navy by referring to himself as "The Admiral". Those of us who enjoy cruising on the fine upscale ships of Celebrity should be delighted that someone like him will NEVER AGAIN be aboard!

Well it looks like I need to leave my tattered old jeans and stained t-shirt at home. Darn I was so looking forward to eating in my nicest clothes. Stupid Celebrity why must you discriminate against me for wearing whatever I want.:D:D:D

Sorry Admiral, you knew the rules and took a chance anyway. The fact that some of the other rule-breakers got away with it does not make any difference. If you don't like the rules, try to get them changed or go elsewhere. But don't whine if you get caught. The passengers who abide by the rules will not miss you if you never sail Celebrity again.

Not very sympathetic of me, but there you go.

Ericknow - You will be fine -

Jeans: The New Little Black Dress

_`SOPQ7G2K58L~L`UGFWJ8.gif by Melissa Kagan

4N+@}!QUQ{59Q@B6GT,RUR.jpgMore from iVillage

Jeans aren't just for weekends anymore. In fact, denims are becoming the new "little black dress" that women can wear almost anywhere with the right accessories.:D :D :D

For each of three Celebrity cruises in the last year, I have always been careful to take a blue blazer, button down shirt, dress slacks and dress shoes for the informal nights. I have done that, because before our first cruise, I read the Celebrity dress requirements for their vessels both here and on the Celebrity website.

Yes, I have seen people who fail or refuse to comply with those requirements, and frankly am offended by their rudeness to all the other pax. We enjoy being well dressed in those lovely dining rooms with excellent service, whether it be an informal night or a formal night. Just as I enjoy squiring my honey who is dressed to the Ts on those occasions.

We have never experienced any rudeness of any kind from the Celebrity staff on Mercury and Century - just smiles, greetings, and a willingness to be of help to us.

The Admiral is not getting much support here.

Sorry, you obviously knew the dress code and it was your choice to handle the incident the way you did. You could have gotten your jacket from your cabin and enjoyed your dinner. Then, you could have enjoyed the rest of your evening somewhere else rather than waiting outside the dining room to observe what type of clothing other people had on. Also, when I read statements like "I heard about 20 other passengers", I usually cut that number way down, I wasn't there, but people tend to exaggerate, especially when they are mad. So, you and a few other guys were asked to don jackets, like in the requested attire, not really a big deal in the scheme of things.

I find it difficult to believe they were that rude, my experience on any cruise is that they bend over backwards with politeness. Sorry, after reading how you over-reacted to the situation, it sounds like you may have brought it on to yourself.

So, I guess your story just won't fly here on this board, too many of us have been on cruises to believe it.

BTW, I don't happen to care what clothes you have on at dinner. I hope your next cruise experience is a happier one.

Well I was initially willing to let comment escape...but after a little historical research I can't help but add something.

First of all, I must say I agree with the general consensus that the dress codes should be enforced, and the clothing which admiral was attempting to enter the dining room with that night simply failed to meet requirements, and I praise any dining staff who had the courage and fortitude to turn away those who did not meet the requirements.

Second of all, I can understand the feeling Admiral described when he mentioned feeling discriminated with, but I don't agree. As the analogy was used with speeding...sometimes wrongdoers are caught and sometimes they are not. However the wrongdoers remain wrong even if not caught, and those caught remain just as guilty even if others escaped.

Third of all, the posting history of the admiral seems to be one of disappointment, disgruntlement, and complaint. RCL is slipping. NCL is slipping. And numerous posts about the demise of Celebrity. It seems that Admiral is becoming disappointed with all cruises, and may need to reconsider this type of vacation. Either the cruise lines are changing for the worse and you shouldn't keep booking them, or your own expectations are changing and you are becoming increasingly hard to please. This could be from you continually expecting improvement rather than enjoying the status quo, or it could be from rigidly unchanging acceptance to evolutionary adaptations. Cruise lines must continually change...it is part of the system.

Here's the irony - in many past posts, you derided Celebrity for the many changes and adaptations they have made to attempt to stay modern, fresh, and appeal to the widest possible customer base...most of which you felt were degrading changes which spoiled your classic image of what Celebrity once was. In other words, you enjoyed your historical view of Celebrity, and revelled in this tradition. Yet, when you attempted to make what most would agree is a degrading change in the Informal Dining dress code which has been part of the tradition of cruising since the inception of the market, you complained because Celebrity was NOT willing to evolve and relax their standards to suit your desires. So while you do not want them to change Revelations lounge or remove Notes because you fondly remember cruising Summit and enjoying those facilities, you deride them for NOT changing a dining tradition.

It does seem like you, or at least your internet personality, are living in a half-empty glass of disappointment and frustration which are beginning to infringe on your lifestyle. You are starting to limit your vacation options over these frustrations, allowing increasingly stringent and unattainable personal expectations to be inevitably unsatisfied, and leaving you increasingly bitter and resentful towards the world which refuses to align to your conflicting and random personal standards.

You would have a much happier life if you found a way to accept change, for better or worse, as an inevitable evolution in our ever-morphing world. and if you could accept that sometimes you could be wrong, and a relaxed acceptance of your mistakes will result in a calm mind and happy life; while a bullheaded, stubborn defense of your wrongdoing will only result in loss - of cruise lines, vacations, friends, jobs, and a happy well-adjusted life.

He mentioned Cirque Du Soleil. It is on the Summit and no other cruise ship (other than the Constellation) or cruise line. So he must be on the Summit. And anything is possible. But rudeness on X? If it wasn't for Cirque, I woud almost say he is on another line. Like I said, anything is possible but I wonder if there is not more to the story. After all, there is also the X side that we did not hear in reference to this particular situation. Now I am not attacking Admiral for his posting by no means. When it comes right down to it his posting was rather beneficial. He made some rather informative observations about Cirque. His positing was also informative in letting us know that as we have expectations of X, X has expectations of us. And when you think about it, it makes sense. Even though we are paying for a service provided by X, we are an important factor in X achieving their overall goal. Although we are not paid in the form of money. For doing our part (following the rules), we are paid with an overall incredible cruising experience.

The one thing I have to say, and I will admit that I have been quilty of it myself as not be hypocritcal, but the "they did not have to do it" is not the best arguement or reason for justifying one's behavior. I do agree that it would have taken less time to get a jacket then it took to watch the people entering and exciting the dining room. Or, if you really did not want to wear the jacket, seems that your solution of eating elsewhere and being happy with that choice would have been ideal.

Admiral, my recommendation to you is to take the issue up in a polite manner with someone in charge. There is still time to salvage your trip. You only have yourself to blame if you have decided to take this incident and make it the reason you will never sail with X again. After as many trips as you have made according to your positing, you must have liked something about X to keep you coming back.

Good luck!

P.S. Hey Charlie!

I'm not sure if the summit is different from the galaxy but I have to tell you I just phone celebrity and asked about jacket requirement and Rosalie from celebrity told us It is not required for informal nights to wear a jacket. in the dining room. So if Admiral was told that before he went. Then somebody needs to get there story straight.

HEY ADMIRAL...WHAT'S THE BIG DEAL???

You got caught at the door...why didn't you just go back to your cabin and put on a jacket??? Our recent survey, here on CC, indicated that more than 90% of the respondents on CC want to adhere to the required/suggested dress as posted. Looks like the Admiral was out of uniform and thinks everyone else in the parade is out of step.

I don't think that this constitutes an "abondon ship". This looks like a new dimension to the "dress code" debate that so often rages on these boards.

Sorry Admiral...you are not going to find that much sympathy here. I applaud Celebrity for finally taking this bull by the horns (pardon the pun).

A delightful break from the ordinary, dining aboard Celebrity is a true taste of luxury. Whether dining at an intimate table for two or an elaborate table for many, appropriate attire is part of the overall ambience.

Evening Dress Codes

Celebrity's evening dress codes include three types: formal, casual and informal. The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the appropriate evening attire.

Formal Night Attire

Ladies: Evening gown or fancy dress

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, dinner jacket or dark suit

Informal Night Attire

Ladies: Informal dress or pants and blouse

Gentlemen: Jacket and tie with slacks

Casual Night Attire

Ladies: Pantsuit or sporty outfit

Gentlemen: Sport shirt and slacks

Direct from X website. I believe you 100 % that you called and that is what you were told. I do have to say that I am glad that some of X's phone reps do not work directly on the ship. I am not complianing now. And I don't base my X experience on them. But they do seem to have a tendancy to give out incorrect information. I have witness it first hand. This is what is in print as far as the policy on X website.

I'm not sure if the summit is different from the galaxy but I have to tell you I just phone celebrity and asked about jacket requirement and Rosalie from celebrity told us It is not required for informal nights to wear a jacket. in the dining room. So if Admiral was told that before he went. Then somebody needs to get there story straight.

Well on the Millennium last month on the first day's daily, it stated the required

dress code for informal night: Gentlemen: Jacket and slacks.

Happy to report that most of the men followed the rules.

Mari

and for a long time cruiser, which I guess is majority RCL not X, you would know that informal nights are jack with no tie, or tie with no jacket basically. I applaud the "fashion police" with all the complaints they get about not inforcing it, and now they do & still are complained about. X just can't win!

Do us all a favor & calm down, enjoy your cruise following the rules by not being a chair hog, not getting drunk & obsessive, and dressing accordingly.

Methinks the Admiral and some others have been on so many cruises that they take such a vacation style for granted and tend to get so burned out with them that they become irritable and critical-thus all the posts about worn carpet, ship condition, lousy meals, staff relations, and other "catastrophes."

We have been on 5 cruises, all of them on Celebrity. Yet, we are still in awe of being able to travel in such a luxurious style. Frankly, we're just plain folks who have worked hard for a long time, and in recent years we have been blessed with occasionally having the time, money, and health to cruise.

I have never noticed color carpet or room decor, if the rails needed varnished, if there was salt water spray on windows, if our rooms were operating room sanitary, if the hamburger buns were drying out in the ocean air, if the shows were less than Emmy quality, and so on.

My point? We are grateful simply to be on board and neither notice or sweat the small stuff. We gladly comply with whatever the dress code is. If we were to accidentally be out of uniform", we would apologize and readily change. We appreciate the hard working staff, and find that they always respond to our kindness in like fashion. I have never encountered a rude Celebrity employee on board ship-quite the contrary.

I hope we never get to the point where we don't enjoy cruising. Sadly to say, I think the Admiral may have been at sea too long.

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

jtutak- Why do you have to be insulting? Admiral - try not to be so angry. The world is full of people with different opinions. If you don't want to dress for dinner, that's fine, just choose the appropriate cruise line, or choose Casual Dining on Celebrity. If you do like to dress appropriately, then Celebrity is a great choice.

Accusing Celebrity fans of being "snooty" is just snobbery in reverse. It is still making an unfair judgment about people without knowing them.

Actually, I think the biggest problem here might be people who are just looking to pick a fight or stir up trouble. You folks just need to chill!

Many Celebrity cruisers think they are elite HAHA. three cheers for the Admiral he is telling like it is. Celebrity is no better than than any other cruise line - just has more snooty people how think their blank doesn't stink

First of all I am Elite. (At least that's what the Captains Club says.) Celebrity is a lot better than any other cruise line and to make such a stupid assumption about people that you don’t know is arrogant and pompous. You don't know me but because I choose to sail on Celebrity it makes me a snob. Maybe you should look in the mirror.

Many Celebrity cruisers think they are elite HAHA. three cheers for the Admiral he is telling like it is. Celebrity is no better than than any other cruise line - just has more snooty people how think their blank doesn't stink

Huh??

What exactly IS he "telling like it is"? That Celebrity enforces the rules they clearly post. Or that Celebrity purposely discriminated against Admiral? Or that Admiral has nothing better to do on cruises than to stand around the entrance to the dining rooms observing the coming and goings of hundreds of passengers? Or what?

I suppose you were trying to be supportive of TheAdmiral, which is fine, you are welcome to your opinion. But what you actually did was make yourself look bad. Your message was unclear, you called people names, and made a sweeping generalization about a group of people you know nothing about.

Your letter reminded me of the Saturday Night Live skit where John Kerry and Al Gore are on the phone with each other and Al Gore is telling Kerry that he is going to support his campaign and Kerry is saying "No, thanks, Al, I'm good!" :D The Admiral is probably thinking similiar thoughts.....no thanks jtutuk, I'm good!! :D :D :D

Okay, if you're getting away with thumbing your nose at the dress codes, that doesn't mean that it's acceptable dress for the evening, it just means that you got away with something. You've cheapened the dining experience for people at your table and in the immediate vicinity of where you're sitting. Wow, I'm so impressed that you can you have gotten away with being such a SLOB!!! Now, why don't you just tell the waiter to "supersize you" and get it over with?????:eek:

I am just getting to read this thread. USHA, ever reading your response to 'don't eat the to bedspreads' several years ago I've been laughing at your quick wit. If you'd been a writer on SNL it would never have gone stale! Thanks for all the good ones! :)

I am taking my very first cruise in 53 days. Infinity to Alaska. I have a daycare in my home, chief hiney-wiper, I like to call myself. I am about as far from a snob as you can get. We chose Celebrity because of many of the "snobby" rules. I cannot wait to get out of my shorts, jeans and tshirts. I hope they enforce the rules on Infinity.

We are also not partying people. Yet another reason for choosing Celebrity.

Stay home...wear whatever you like. Heck, wear nothing at all.:D

I don't quite understand why everyone is jumping so heavily on the OP because he wasn't wearing a jacket. He said he was wearing dress pants, a dress shirt and dress shoes, so it's not as though he was wearing slobwear. Does it really disturb your cruise that badly that a man is dressed nicely but without a jacket? Is so, then you people need to get a life!

Someone should ask Rosalie why she says one thing and Celebrity says another. If Celebrity is working to enforce the dress code, ole Rosalie isn't helping. :)

Archived