Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

3 more bodies found in Concordia cruise wreck

GIGLIO, Italy — Searchers on Thursday found three more bodies in the wreck of the Costa Concordia cruise ship that capsized off the Italian coast, an official said, raising the number discovered to 28 and leaving four still missing.

It seems it will be difficult to remove these bodies but I hope they find a way to do so before a lot more time passes.

Number up to 5...

5 more bodies found in Concordia cruise wreck

GIGLIO, Italy — Search crews in Italy have found five more bodies in the wreck of the Costa Concordia cruise ship, which struck a reef off an Italian island in January.

The development on Thursday raises to 30 the number of bodies found. Two people remain missing and are presumed dead.

Number up to 5...

GIGLIO, Italy — Search crews in Italy have found five more bodies in the wreck of the Costa Concordia cruise ship, which struck a reef off an Italian island in January.

The development on Thursday raises to 30 the number of bodies found. Two people remain missing and are presumed dead.

Yes - that's right 2 more bodies were found bringing the total to 5.

(AGI) Isle of Giglio - Two more bodies have been found on board of the sunken Costa Concordia, bringing to five the total number of the victims of the disaster found at the Isle of Giglio today. The two corpses were found by the Fire Brigade scuba divers. Two passengers are stil missing at the moment. . .

http://www.agi.it/1yblmob6io9c_oaktkekjw/201203222002-cro-ren1076-two_more_bodies_found_on_sunken_concordia

Number up to 5...

Terrible. An absolute avoidable tragedy. I call do over.

You don't want to know what sort of condition they're in... :eek:

No I don't. I do want the families to have closure tho so I know whatever condition they are in, they need to be recovered. Once they find the last 2, even if they all can't be id'd, the families will know their loved ones are at least out from under or in that ship.

No I don't. I do want the families to have closure tho so I know whatever condition they are in, they need to be recovered. Once they find the last 2, even if they all can't be id'd, the families will know their loved ones are at least out from under or in that ship.

Yes exactly agree entirely. Heard the news today. Just hope the last two people can be found so that all families can have some closure - at least for this stage...

@ sidari

Marinetraffic is missing position updates for more than 30 minutes?!

Check the link below, this track is based on recorded AIS data by AISLIVE:

http://www.qps.nl/display/qastor/2012/01/17/20120117_stranding

The reporting interval for ship based AIS transponders is speed/course related and is as follows:

0-14 knots 10 seconds

0-14 knots and changing course 3.3 seconds

14-23 knots 6 seconds

14-23 knots and changing course 2 seconds

Wow, first time I've looked at these. Even the track from last August 14th. would be way too close for my comfort. It's amazing any Captain, especially one with the responsibility he had, would ever attempt to get that close to shore just to say 'watch this'. Doesn't seem he left any room for error and other people paid with their lives.

Wow, first time I've looked at these. Even the track from last August 14th. would be way too close for my comfort. It's amazing any Captain, especially one with the responsibility he had, would ever attempt to get that close to shore just to say 'watch this'. Doesn't seem he left any room for error and other people paid with their lives.

My thoughts exactly. "Watch this" for the benefit of 2 or 3 people with a price tag of the lives of 30 and potentially the lives of over 4,000 people, his career, the careers of several officers and half a billion dollar ship. Not to mention losses to the entire cruise industry due to decreased bookings, etc. etc. Schettino's descent into lunacy boggles the mind!

My thoughts exactly. "Watch this" for the benefit of 2 or 3 people with a price tag of the lives of 30 and potentially the lives of over 4,000 people, his career, the careers of several officers and half a billion dollar ship. Not to mention losses to the entire cruise industry due to decreased bookings, etc. etc. Schettino's descent into lunacy boggles the mind!

Hoping that the use of flame throwers by those of differing opinions has been squelched by the closing and erasing of previous threads on this topic, I will restate my original opinion based upon my background and experience in proving "motive".

I am led to the opinion that Capt. Schitinno was motivated to ignore the safety of the ship, crew, and passengers, in an attempt to impress his fellow officers and his twenty something "inamorta" with his manly machismo or was so distracted by her that he lost his focus. I don't believe this to a be fact proven to a moral certainty but based upon my background I know I could convince a jury, beyond a reasonalbe doubt, that those were motives.

John

Hoping that the use of flame throwers by those of differing opinions has been squelched by the closing and erasing of previous threads on this topic, I will restate my original opinion based upon my background and experience in proving "motive".

I am led to the opinion that Capt. Schitinno was motivated to ignore the safety of the ship, crew, and passengers, in an attempt to impress his fellow officers and his twenty something "inamorta" with his manly machismo or was so distracted by her that he lost his focus. I don't believe this to a be fact proven to a moral certainty but based upon my background I know I could convince a jury, beyond a reasonalbe doubt, that those were motives.

John

True, as I mentioned a "few people". Il capitano will surely have a place in the Guinness Book of World Records as "The Dumbest Thing a Cruise Captain Ever Did to Impress a Woman and his Crew".

I am led to the opinion that Capt. Schitinno was motivated to ignore the safety of the ship, crew, and passengers, in an attempt to impress his fellow officers and his twenty something "inamorta" with his manly machismo or was so distracted by her that he lost his focus.

I don't believe this to a be fact proven to a moral certainty but based upon my background I know I could convince a jury, beyond a reasonable doubt, that those were motives.

Would love to have been a fly on the wall of the bridge

to see the look of shock and horror on all their faces as they felt the Bump! up front...

and realized that something horribly wrong had just happened three seconds ago!

As I suspected - just found this in an article about Concordia:

"Because of the heft of the Costa Concordia’s bell, police suspect a team of thieves, likely divers authorized to work on the liner."

Wonder how much more loot has been pilfered by "authorized divers"?

Gotta love these catholic countires. Notice I said gotta not Gotti. lol

CEO of Costa Crociere President Gianni Onorato:' The wreck will be removed whole '

http://ricerca.repubblica.it/repubblica/archivio/repubblica/2012/03/23/concordia-finita-emergenza-ambientale-onorato-il.html

I already asked this on another thread. What are they going to do with the safes??? I know that they are giving passengers monetary compensations, but if they can recover the safes, are they going to return the valuables to their owners??? I'm just curious...

I already asked this on another thread. What are they going to do with the safes??? I know that they are giving passengers monetary compensations, but if they can recover the safes, are they going to return the valuables to their owners??? I'm just curious...

The 2 vessel wrecks I have been involved with were marchant vessels, no passingers....but all the crew members valuables and anything recoverable were shipped home to them. I would image the same would be for the passingers.

AKK

The 2 vessel wrecks I have been involved with were marchant vessels' date=' no passingers....but all the crew members valuables and anything recoverable were shipped home to them. I would image the same would be for the passingers.

AKK[/eOTE']

Thanks!!! and good to know. I know that I have jewelry with sentimental value to me... and if something like this happens to me I will like to get it back, no matter how long it takes.