Michael's Club On Silhouette - Craft Beers

Woobstr112G

According to DH (who is a homebrewer and major beer geek:)) only certain types of beer should be ice cold (lagers, kolschs, etc.) Stouts, ales, etc. shouldn't be chilled for best flavor.

Thanks Sandi, you learn something everyday! Come to think of it, ale does taste better if it's not iced cold, &even Heinekin, which I'm sure your hubby looks down on, tastes good less than icy.

not all beer should be ice cold

sometimes the cold kills the flavor

a lot of beer the flavor will improve as the beer warms up

You will find that a lot with stouts and porters

I am really looking forward to sail with a choice of beer

my group in Feb will have at least a half dozen beer geeks with us

Really? I'm a complete beer snob (DH and I take 3-5 beercations a year) and I was impressed by the list. Maybe I'm just used to the utter swill served on Royal Caribbean, aside from when they brewed their own Belgian a few years back. I will happily quaff DFH, Stone or Hitachino rather than Corona or Red Stripe. The pricing is about what I expect on a ship and most of the truly expensive bottles are 750ml.

I suppose they can't please everyone, but they got our booking because of the beer!

This winter, try our Island. We have two brewpubs and a small place that has a great selection of imported beers and wines.

We also have a LOT of Canadians in the winter, maybe because they don't like snow.

I enjoyed Michael's Club how it used to be, but think the idea of a craft beer lounge is a good one. But it does concern me that people are finding the venue empty. Yes, that's good for relaxing, but it does not bode well with keeping the concept in the future. I was very surprised to hear of how late it opens. They are missing out on alot of revenue by not opening in the afternoon on sea days especially IMHO. If they could get some customers interested in the afternoons, they would possibly come back in the evening (or other evenings) as well. Sounds like a good idea that needs some tweaking.

This winter, try our Island. We have two brewpubs and a small place that has a great selection of imported beers and wines.

We also have a LOT of Canadians in the winter, maybe because they don't like snow.

I'm a native Floridian. I HATE snow. We've already got a cruise booked for this Winter and will be enjoying the Tampa breweries/pubs pre-cruise, but I'll keep your island in mind for later trips!

I enjoyed Michael's Club how it used to be, but think the idea of a craft beer lounge is a good one. But it does concern me that people are finding the venue empty. Yes, that's good for relaxing, but it does not bode well with keeping the concept in the future. I was very surprised to hear of how late it opens. They are missing out on alot of revenue by not opening in the afternoon on sea days especially IMHO. If they could get some customers interested in the afternoons, they would possibly come back in the evening (or other evenings) as well. Sounds like a good idea that needs some tweaking.

I wouldn't say that Michael's Club is empty in the evenings but I most certainly agree with you about needing longer hours. My husband and I would be over the moon if Michael's Club was open in the afternoon. It's one of the few places on ship where one can be guaranteed a good beer, so why make us wait until AFTER happy hour to open? Open AT happy hour~ or earlier. :D

Edited by dln929

We would be there too Deirdre (as you know). The only place to get decent beer or cider in Summit was in Michaels, nothing at the pool or sunset bars :confused:

As promised, here are some photos taken in Michaels:

2739036850104945102S600x600Q85.jpg

2419264370104945102S600x600Q85.jpg

2591697110104945102S600x600Q85.jpg

2479800430104945102S600x600Q85.jpg

Edited by librarylady19

Hi Sandi, great pics of you and me and the beer and the couch! We didn't spend half as much time in there as we should have. ;)

Deirdre (who is drinking a perfect IPA as she types this post)

Edited by dln929

Hi Sandi, great pics of you and me and the beer and the couch! We didn't spend half as much time in there as we should have. ;)

Deirdre (who is drinking a perfect IPA as she types this post)

Indeed....next cruise!!!!

When we were on the Silhouette, Michael's was usually close to empty. We think many folks were a bit turned off by the prices (remember, they add 15% on to every drink) and we heard a few grumbling about the lack of decent draught beers. Personally, we think Celebrity deserves some credit for trying to be somewhat innovative. The situation was also the same in their neat wine bar (where you could buy lots of wines by the glass from the automatic dispensers) where the place was usually empty.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...
When we were on the Silhouette, Michael's was usually close to empty. We think many folks were a bit turned off by the prices (remember, they add 15% on to every drink) and we heard a few grumbling about the lack of decent draught beers. Personally, we think Celebrity deserves some credit for trying to be somewhat innovative. The situation was also the same in their neat wine bar (where you could buy lots of wines by the glass from the automatic dispensers) where the place was usually empty.

Hank

Hank;

Even though it's been awhile since I've sailed X, I would have to agree with you.....:):):)

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

Sorry for the garbled post. I must remember to read before hitting "submit reply"

I meant to write

"I should be able to try most of them without any additional charge! "

Makes it look like I have been drinking already

No, only on the solsticized M class ships and the Silhouette and soon Reflection.

Thanks for the answer, although it was not the one I wanted:(

So, this is also not available on Equinox either?

DW and I were just discussing this entire thread and my earlier post where I mentioned that both Michael's and the Wine Bar (Cellar Masters) were always empty during our 12 day Silhouette cruise. We think both of these venues are terrific ideas but few passengers ever use these rooms. DW think much of the problem is very bad onboard marketing by Celebrity. They need to do some promoting by having special Happy Hours or similar functions. Offer 25% off in Michaels, promote it, and they will come (and perhaps later be willing to pay full price). In Cellar Masters they can have a promotion where they discount the wine cards (you need to purchase these to use the automatic dispensers) during certain limited hours to get folks to try some of the wines. As wine lovers we were really impressed by Cellar Masters and its excellent wine selection (but less impressed by the pricing).

Hank

P.S. Are you listening Celebrity?

My wife and I cruised on Silhouette in April and just about lived at Michael's. Andre was the manager and we looked forward to talking with him each night. Where we live there is a Flying Saucer restaurant/bar that carries 150 or so beers at one time so we enjoyed the variety at Michael's. There was very little activity until later at night...I hope it lasts!

DW and I were just discussing this entire thread and my earlier post where I mentioned that both Michael's and the Wine Bar (Cellar Masters) were always empty during our 12 day Silhouette cruise. We think both of these venues are terrific ideas but few passengers ever use these rooms. DW think much of the problem is very bad onboard marketing by Celebrity. They need to do some promoting by having special Happy Hours or similar functions. Offer 25% off in Michaels, promote it, and they will come (and perhaps later be willing to pay full price). In Cellar Masters they can have a promotion where they discount the wine cards (you need to purchase these to use the automatic dispensers) during certain limited hours to get folks to try some of the wines. As wine lovers we were really impressed by Cellar Masters and its excellent wine selection (but less impressed by the pricing).

Hank

P.S. Are you listening Celebrity?

Hank, I think a lot of it has to do with when the darn place is open. My husband and I love a good craft beer. Normally we crack open a beer in the evening but that's during the work week. On a cruise we might be persuaded (hahaha no arm twisting necessary :)) to have a beer at lunchtime or any time in the afternoon. We'd love to go to Michael's Club to have a beer--a good beer--but noooooooo. Ain't happening. We have to make do with a draft Heineken somewhere until Michael's is open at dinnertime. Or maybe later. I don't get it!!! We'd happily traipse downstairs to get a good beer so why does Celebrity make it so hard to do??? :(

Try the Duval, very nice!

When we recently spent a few days at a B&B in Antwrep our friendly B and B owner/host told us the locals like to call Duval beer "Devil." The general theory is that if you drink more then 3 Duvals while sitting, you will not be able to walk :)

Hank

DH and I are researching a future cruise on X and having this facility would guarantee our business. We're looking at Equinox. I looked through the deck plan online and it mentioned Michael's, but I don't know for a fact it does have it. We are both beer snobs to the bone. Having a lovely tripel from Boulevard Brewing and DH is having a Founder's Breakfast Stout while we research (dear X - if you can add one single more beer to that list, make it Founder's)