Michael's Club On Silhouette - Craft Beers

Woobstr112G

Hank, I think a lot of it has to do with when the darn place is open. My husband and I love a good craft beer. Normally we crack open a beer in the evening but that's during the work week. On a cruise we might be persuaded (hahaha no arm twisting necessary :)) to have a beer at lunchtime or any time in the afternoon. We'd love to go to Michael's Club to have a beer--a good beer--but noooooooo. Ain't happening. We have to make do with a draft Heineken somewhere until Michael's is open at dinnertime. Or maybe later. I don't get it!!! We'd happily traipse downstairs to get a good beer so why does Celebrity make it so hard to do??? :(

I agree completely, my husband was really happy to hear about the selection available but wanted them to be open in the afternoon. It was supposed to open at 5pm but even that was changed to 6 or later most days as the room was being used for an activity or meeting. By evening we'd be at the Martini bar so only visited a few times. The menu is also more of a guide to the kinds of beers they sell, rather than what they'll have. Last summer on the Silhouette they had about a third of what was advertised and everything else had been replaced with something else. Unfortunately most of the replacements were more mainstream options you could easily get at home. One of the bar staff told us they had trouble restocking some of the beers and he was hoping they'd sort it out soon or re-print the menu.

I hope they persist with it though and change the hours, because it's a great idea that just needs tweaking to make it a success.

Denise

Really? They didnt last December when we were onboard.

Sorry, I think I may have confused Michaels Bar and Michaels Club, it definitely had a Michael's place in July last year. Have they converted Club to Bar on certain vessels?

When we recently spent a few days at a B&B in Antwrep our friendly B and B owner/host told us the locals like to call Duval beer "Devil." The general theory is that if you drink more then 3 Duvals while sitting, you will not be able to walk :)

Hank

Actually, the beer is called DUVEL and this meand Devil in Dutch:)

It is very popular here in Belgium,mbutmwemhave so much more excellent beers, including the World Best Dark Ale 2012, by World Beer Awards, Gouden Carolus Classic, brewed in my home town!!!!!:D I wash and shower in the same water that they use for brewing...when I was at high School, I studied at Montfort College, a famous boarding school. we washed, drank etc. from the same water well as Stella Artois uses for their beer, and they supplied the school with free Stella for staff and students over 16 :D:D ( one pint, once a week:rolleyes:) as the CEO was an ex. alumnus.

The thing that worries me is that beer has a shelf life and has to be kept under reasonable conditions, in some case it is kept refrigerated until drunk. I wonder if celebrity is watching beer to discard any that is past it's prime or "sell by" date. (somehow, I doubt it).

In April much of the beer was in a refrigerator case like at the deli--As posted previously DH was underwhelmed and did not go more than once...

Perhaps things have picked up a bit on Silho--

we'll check it out this Spring on Eclipse..but was not aware they had made any changes...

The thing that worries me is that beer has a shelf life and has to be kept under reasonable conditions, in some case it is kept refrigerated until drunk. I wonder if celebrity is watching beer to discard any that is past it's prime or "sell by" date. (somehow, I doubt it).

some beers have a short shelf life, other beers general those with higher alchoal are often made to age..I have a collection in my house that are two and three years old. When they are stored they do not have to be stored in refrigeration.

There are many beer to be drank at room temperature instead of chilled

( of course a pacifico in mexico that is near frozen when it is 100% degrees it might be perfect at that moment)

of course some beer is ment to be consumed fresh

Like PLINY THE ELDER ( it says so on the bottle) and of course those beers like bud, miller are sold to be consumed immediately.

I have a collection in my house that are two and three years old.

We're sitting on several of the Stone 'Vertical' series from the past 11 years, while we wait for 12.12.12 to be released. I've also aged barleywine and Belgian Strongs for up to 10 years without ill effect. In general, beer is more robust than people give it credit for, because the most common beers (macro lagers like Bud) are the least resilient when it comes to age or heat.

The list and photos I've seen for Michael's shows a pretty broad selection, with few super-hopped up brews (like Pliny) that won't age well for several months. Maybe the Dogfish 60 minute and Stone IPA will lose some of the hop freshness, but otherwise the selection looks pretty solid.

As for serving temp, it makes sense to ask for a non-chilled glass if ordering a style that isn't enhanced by cold temps. Then it's simply a matter of letting the bottle warm up before pouring. I've had to do this in tons of land-based craft beer bars. It's a bit frustrating, but worth the wait!

Can't wait to be on Reflection in 80 days!

• 2 months later...
Here's the list posted n the wonderful website Beyondships. It certainly meets DHs approval and he can't wait to try many of these beers on Summit.

http://beyondships.com/files/Michael_s_Club_Menu.pdf

Thank you for posting! Finally some beer variety on a cruise! We sail on the Silhouette next September. I plan on trying some wine and beer. I thought it was funny that they have a beer from NC on the list ;-)

Edited by sascec
typo

• 1 year later...
I've read the price cap for beer with the premium package is $12. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks!

That is correct. You are supposed to pay anything over that amount. Some have reported that some bartenders will not charge you the amount over the $12.

Are not most of the beers only available in Michaels Club. Now with Michaels Club is the new place where the Zenith level will be meeting. I'm thinking it will be closed from atleast 5 -7pm for their Capitains Club Event if not more. Richard

Are not most of the beers only available in Michaels Club. Now with Michaels Club is the new place where the Zenith level will be meeting. I'm thinking it will be closed from atleast 5 -7pm for their Capitains Club Event if not more. Richard

I'm not sure if they are available elsewhere, but I have read on CC that the Zenith people will have Michael's Club daily from morning until 7pm. :(

I'm not sure if they are available elsewhere, but I have read on CC that the Zenith people will have Michael's Club daily from morning until 7pm. :(

Much to my dismay, that would cut into my Michael's time significantly but it will surely make my DW happy. :eek: :o :D

• 1 month later...

I am a true beer lover. I used to be a huge fan of the microbrews and "craft" brews.....until I went to Oktoberfest in Munich in 2012. After a week there I soon realized this "craft" beer business was for the most part all overhyped marketing. For me the Oktoberfest beer was perhaps the best beer I've ever had. What's more amazing was how simple the process of brewing it was. After that experience, the craft beers are less important. I'm more concerned about how the beer is brewed. Don't get me wrong I still enjoy the IPAs, brown ales, porters etc..., but I'm not enamored like I was 5-10 years ago.

With that said I am really excited to try out Michael's this summer. It's one of the first places I'd like to try. Assuming it is ever open. The hours and marketing of that space is confusing to me.

I just got off the Sillhoute in Jan.

Michaels opened every day at 5 pm ...

You could then go in there to try the beers

Everyday there is a happy hour special and several times there is beer or whiskey tasting

If you have the drink package stop in and michaels pick up a brew before bed and put it your fridge unopened

Also the Passport bar was opened almost all day

You could get Omegang Abbey Ale

Orval and La Fin Du Monde there plus some others

I just got off the Sillhoute in Jan.

Michaels opened every day at 5 pm ...

You could then go in there to try the beers

Everyday there is a happy hour special and several times there is beer or whiskey tasting

If you have the drink package stop in and michaels pick up a brew before bed and put it your fridge unopened

Also the Passport bar was opened almost all day

You could get Omegang Abbey Ale

Orval and La Fin Du Monde there plus some others

Thanks for the Michael's info.

What are these last 3 drinks of which you speak??

Thanks for the Michael's info.

What are these last 3 drinks of which you speak??

The first is an Abbey STYLE beer brewed in the US, the last is a Trippel STYLE beer brewed in Canada, neither have any real connection to Belgium, unlike Orval which is one of the few proper Belgian Trappist beers, well known and respected, also available around the world.

Edited by harz99