Norovirus

On 1/9/2019 at 9:10 PM, boscobeans said:

We wash our hands and use sanitizer frequently. We spray our stateroom down (goes for hotel rooms as well) when we first walk in. Only takes a few minutes at the most. All switches, knobs, controllers, door and drawer handles, phones, bathroom surfaces BASICALLY EVERYTHING. We do use a product that DOES kill Noro and leaves behind no residue and once dry is food safe without the need to rinse even on silverware, dishes and glasses. 

We also carry it with us in a small spray bottle and since there is nothing in it that we have found to be toxic in any way we use it as a hand sanitizer as well. I would not recommend that as it is our choice and not a recommended use. 

Boscobeans: I usually take a can of citrus aerosol Lysol and spray everything when I travel.  From what I have read on this thread it doesn't appear that Lysol kills Noro.  I guess now I need to buy something else.   It seems like it would take quite a while to use the spray bottles that you use but I am going to look into this before I travel again.  Thank you.

To all,  We have been told that many cruisers may use the drawers in the cabins to store their soiled clothing before packing up. Perhaps it would be wise to also spray the interior of the drawers and cabinets before placing your clothing in them. We do this and one step further. We have all our clothing, clothing not being hung in the closet, in large zip-lock 'Hefty' bags, which we then place in the sprayed drawers and cupboards. It still will not protect you , should someone cough in your face in the elevator, but at least we can try to protect ourselves as best we can.

54 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

we see those passenger who fail to wash their hands or barely rinse them in restrooms).

We saw many people on Harmony in November, and Indy last week that bypassed the hand washing stations at Windjammer.

Don’t know what people are thinking when they do that.   We are always proactive about washing hands.

I was wondering where Oasis will dock on Saturday because Allure will be in port also.  With the deep clean on Saturday after everyone gets off and I'm sure they will continue the hyper cleaning  during the week, I am looking at boarding a very clean ship on the 20th for my two weeks on board.  

Edited by rcrdale

12 minutes ago, rcrdale said:

I was wondering where Oasis will dock on Saturday because Allure will be in port also.  With the deep clean on Saturday after everyone gets off and I'm sure they will continue the hyper cleaning  during the week, I am looking at boarding a very clean ship on the 20th for my two weeks on board.  

Oasis is still based in Port Canaveral and Allure is in South Florida.

8 minutes ago, rcrdale said:

Allure will be in Miami Sunday morning not Port Canaveral where Oasis will be docked.

6 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Oasis is still based in Port Canaveral and Allure is in South Florida.

I was remembering when I went on Allure a few years ago and it was still in Orlando.  I totally forgot that they are in Miami now.  Guess I should wake up before posting, lol.

10 minutes ago, rcrdale said:

I was remembering when I went on Allure a few years ago and it was still in Orlando.  I totally forgot that they are in Miami now.  Guess I should wake up before posting, lol.

You're going to have to wake me up, because I'm trying to remember when Allure was in PC????????

I must have slept through that whole thing.  Oasis is the only Oasis-class ship to homeport in Port Canaveral.  Allure has been in Europe, Port Everglades, and Port of Miami.

15 minutes ago, rcrdale said:

Allure has never been based out of Port Canaveral (Orlando).  In the US, she's always been in Port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale) until she recently moved to Miami.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, auntiemare said:

Just curious. The people that got sick, are they on one area of the ship? Do we know what deck they are all staying on?

Anyone going to beat me to responding with my first thought? I only have a few minutes to edit this. Ok, I will say it....

I heard they are all on the 'poop' deck.

Edited by coaster
  • Like 3
  • Haha 8

11 hours ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

Same with the crew members but I'm sure Royal is addressing this.

No need to add to the drama

Plus, new embarking passengers on the next sailing may already be infected with noro.  There is no escaping it particularly in the winter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PghSunny said:

Boscobeans: I usually take a can of citrus aerosol Lysol and spray everything when I travel.  From what I have read on this thread it doesn't appear that Lysol kills Noro.  I guess now I need to buy something else.   It seems like it would take quite a while to use the spray bottles that you use but I am going to look into this before I travel again.  Thank you.

We purchased a 32 ounce bottle with sprayer for just about $17.00.  That is what a 4 pack of Lysol would cost, the only difference being THIS stuff will kill the norovirus. It smells like plain old isopropyl. alcohol when it dries and doesn't seem the stain or damage anything we have used it on.

As stated we bring about 8 ounces in 3 or 4 smaller spray bottles (PACKED IN LEAKPROOF BAGS TO BE SAFE) and find this is enough to cover pretty much every surface in the room with some to spare.  

What remains in the big bottle is used around the kitchen and when I brewed my beer.  

When we first used it we bought the 4 quarts at a time.  When we first started using it we would bring an entire sealed 32 ounce bottle with us in our carry on.  But have learned that about 8 ounces works for us.

Good sailing

19 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

We purchased a 32 ounce bottle with sprayer for just about $17.00.  That is what a 4 pack of Lysol would cost, the only difference being THIS stuff will kill the norovirus. It smells like plain old isopropyl. alcohol when it dries and doesn't seem the stain or damage anything we have used it on.

As stated we bring about 8 ounces in 3 or 4 smaller spray bottles (PACKED IN LEAKPROOF BAGS TO BE SAFE) and find this is enough to cover pretty much every surface in the room with some to spare.  

What remains in the big bottle is used around the kitchen and when I brewed my beer.  

When we first used it we bought the 4 quarts at a time.  When we first started using it we would bring an entire sealed 32 ounce bottle with us in our carry on.  But have learned that about 8 ounces works for us.

Good sailing

Clorox Healthcare wipes and sprays are another alternative that are widely available, most Staples or other office supply stores carry them. I've also seen Purell Healthcare and Foodservice sprays that say on the bottle that they kill Noro. The Healthcare and Foodservice products seem to be more robust than normal Purell and Clorox products. I know for sure that the Clorox products are on the EPA list.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, auntiemare said:

Just curious. The people that got sick, are they on one area of the ship? Do we know what deck they are all staying on?

I do no know for certain, but My guess is that they are scattered around the ship rather than confined to one deck.  As of yesterday, our steward ( deck 9 port aft) had one affected cabin, the one across the hall from us.  It was a family with small children and they have been released from quarantine now.  One would suspect the small children and those traveling with small children are apt to be disproportionately impacted, as most tiny tot’s hygiene tends to differ from optimal adult’s.  This is a KSF sailing with plenty of small cuties aboard.

2 hours ago, Teacher42 said:

To all,  We have been told that many cruisers may use the drawers in the cabins to store their soiled clothing before packing up. Perhaps it would be wise to also spray the interior of the drawers and cabinets before placing your clothing in them. We do this and one step further. We have all our clothing, clothing not being hung in the closet, in large zip-lock 'Hefty' bags, which we then place in the sprayed drawers and cupboards. It still will not protect you , should someone cough in your face in the elevator, but at least we can try to protect ourselves as best we can.

Our cabin has no drawers, seriously, not one

59 minutes ago, poncho1973 said:

But soon my dearest Mariner comes home to PC for shorties.  *swoons*  I'm excited for Harmony replacing Oasis, too.

We have two Msriners booked, September and January.   No Harmony yet

• Like 1