Mushroom Puff Pastry

kijjy

One of my favorite things in the main dining room. I try to only eat part of the puff pastry, to save calories for another item, but I have to say it is very very good. Don't forget to try the Vidallia Onion tart on the first night...YUM!

Love the Vidalia Onion tart

Have had the mushroom pastry and it was "okay". Try it, you may like it. If you don't there are certainly other options to choose from, no biggie. Order two appy's at once if you want.

Since onion tart made and appearance in this thread, I will say I ordered it once and was NOT impressed. Just like the honey-stung chicken that people rave about, it's not for everyone. :p

WARNING! this is coming from someone who wouldn't consider himself a big fan of mushrooms:

It is pretty good, I like the sauce the mushrooms come in and the puff pastry is delicious. I actually made a variation of it for Christmas eve dinner.

Thanks everyone. And since onion tart was brought up... (yes i'm already looking at menus)... what do you think about the fish tapenade? It sounds just wonderful....

And whoever made the comment about the honey stung chicken, I'm in complete agreement. It was ok but not great.

Just off a back to back on Oasis.... The mushroom puff pastry was so good I had it BOTH weeks, the honey stung chicken was alright BUT honestly, there are so many great things. I looooved the cous cous salad in the Windjammer, on the first day, the Pork Ragu was also delish that first day.

My husband swears the lamb in the MDR was the best he has ever had.

I didn't like the onion tart, but I also don't like lobster so take that with a grain of salt.:)

I love the onion tart and the mushroom pastry. I also enjoy the fish tapenade. Honey sung chicken has been god on some cruises and not on others in my opinion. The appetizers are my favorite part of the meal. I also love the chilled soups.

The last time I was on the Explorer,which was very recently, I ordered the mushroom tart, and it was a little dry. They were a little stingy with the sauce and finding a mushroom was like finding the Holy Grail. The flavors, however, were good. Now, on to the Onion Tart. Our last few cruises, it was so-so. This time, it was delicious. It was moist, tasty, and was actually still warm by the time it got to my table. I have to be honest, though, my favorite appetizer (the one I truly look forward to on every cruise) is the escargot. That garlic butter sauce is amazing, especially when you ask for an extra roll and dip it right in.

I wish I liked the escargot. I've tried it twice now, once on an RCI ship and just find it too chewy. But I do agree, the flavor of that garlic and butter and cheese is just YUM.

I'm SO ready to go.....

Oh my... that looks so good, I want one NOW. 17 more days..... (plus the 6 days it takes for it to be on the menu)

Wow that DOES look good! I will have to try it if it's available on FOS :D

(also just wanted to say hi - noticed you are from our "home away from home" area, love the OB/GS area!)

Both the Mushroom pastry, and Onion Tart, done correctly, by most chefs onboard..........are excellent.

So, a word about escargot........don't eat it! You realize that it's snails, and if you have not tried them......don't........please!!

I happen to love them, and knowing if some of you don't like them......it's a whole dinner for me. Especially, after eating a snail, then dunk the best baked fresh bread in the leftover dip, and dunk it properly, and then take a bite. Heavenly!!:D;)

Rick

Archived