Noro on Princess

Shogun

On our last few cruises we used a product we purchased at Wal-Mart that contains benzethonium chloride as DonnasDad referred to. The brand is germ-x advanced protection. It is an alcohol free foaming lotion. All we can attest to is we were healthy on and off the ship. We also use it to wipe down the surfaces in our stateroom on arrival.

Our next test will bo on the Coral full transit in April.

In my opinion, Princess just does not understand the basics of cross-contamination.

Probably true, or at least some staff members don't.

Next cruise I think I'll take some silverware and a napkin to my cabin, wash it myself, roll it in a clean napkin, and take it to the buffet. At least I'll know it was cleaned by me.

LOL! That's what it might come down to, one of these days.

After the Cruise to Nowhere, I now wonder about the mustard and ketchup bottles at my local eateries like TGI Friday's and such.

Dunno, though. At what point do we start wearing surgical masks and gloves to dinner? ;):)

Dunno, though. At what point do we start wearing surgical masks and gloves to dinner? ;):)

Hopefully it won't be like in some countries where you see on the news images of many who wear masks in public. :p

As the USA Today article says the Nasty, contagious norovirus is 'everywhere' now & not limited to Princess or any other cruise line's ships.

I take precautions against norovirus which is not a life threatening disease for those who are otherwise healthy.

With all the criticism of Princess's actions, in that USA today article it claimed that 1/15 of the population gets the virus. Look how few get it on a ship. So something is being done correctly. And I suspect most people, including staff, practice much better hygiene in the ship than they do on land.

The microbial culprit, norovirus, affects one in 15 Americans every year, causing sudden vomiting, diarrhea and stomach cramps that continue for a very unpleasant 24 to 48 hours, usually requiring no medical intervention.

We just recently disembarked form the Celebrity Constellation which had a "serious" outbreak of the norovirus. The way they handled the virus put Princess to shame (note, I am platinum level on Princess and have another cruise booked)

first, there was a letter from the captain that the outbreak had occurred and they were going to "increase sanitation procedures".

Stationed at the entrance to EVERY public room/shop/venue, were personnel with hand sanitizers and NOBODY got past without a squirt. Stationed at the entrance to the buffet area (not the food entrance but the room entrance) were personnel with squirters, and again NOBODY got past without a squirt. All buffet items,including drinks(coffee, tea, water,etc) were crew served. No salt/pepper shakers on tables, just packets handled by crew. When you got up from your buffet table to leave, your tray (Celebrity has trays) was removed and the table sanitized immediately.

Of course the is no protection from infected people who try to disregard all the above(other than washing constantly) Princess has not gone to the "Extreme" measures mentioned above since I have been sailing with them.

I really liked the way Celebrity handled the outbreak

We just recently disembarked form the Celebrity Constellation which had a "serious" outbreak of the norovirus. The way they handled the virus put Princess to shame (note, I am platinum level on Princess and have another cruise booked)

first, there was a letter from the captain that the outbreak had occurred and they were going to "increase sanitation procedures".

Stationed at the entrance to EVERY public room/shop/venue, were personnel with hand sanitizers and NOBODY got past without a squirt. Stationed at the entrance to the buffet area (not the food entrance but the room entrance) were personnel with squirters, and again NOBODY got past without a squirt. All buffet items,including drinks(coffee, tea, water,etc) were crew served. No salt/pepper shakers on tables, just packets handled by crew. When you got up from your buffet table to leave, your tray (Celebrity has trays) was removed and the table sanitized immediately.

Of course the is no protection from infected people who try to disregard all the above(other than washing constantly) Princess has not gone to the "Extreme" measures mentioned above since I have been sailing with them.

And this varied from what Princess did in what way? Were you on the Crown Princess cruise to nowhere? Unless you were you are in no position to compare.

Hi All

Just an idea , what do you think,

As most Noro comes onboard with new passengers,

while not for the first 36hrs run the ship on full noro precautions,

Food served in buffet, no salt butter etc in MDR until diner of the 2nd night

yours Shogun

While I certainly see no harm in this I do have to question the overall good it will do. There are simply to many other very common ways to come into contact with the virus aboard the ship. In my opinion it is basically like putting a bandaid on a large open wound. With that being said I will add that I think the buffet should always be served by staff rather than passengers. This has nothing to do with "fighting" noro. It would reduce waste and eliminate disgusting pigs fingering but not taking what they touch. This procedure works problem free in the IC.

Hi Zacc

One of my pet hates is folk trying food in Horizon court,

next is picking up food and then putting back,

then using their fingers instead of tongs, forks provided,

then there is the how much can I get on my plate, before it drops on the floor,

yours Shogun

We were on the 2/4 Crown cruise and they went way beyond anything I have seen in the past. Before entering the buffet or dining room you had to spray your hands. There were purell machines everywhere. Also at the dining room entrance was someone stationed to make sure you used it and sometimes they had a bottle and sprayed you.

Once a table was done in the dining room, we watched them clean off the table and wash the table AND chairs before it was set with new items for the next group.

We were on the week after 2/4 and for both weeks we could not touch anything in the dining rooms for the entire time. From other reports, salt and pepper shakers just reappeared yesterday so they were gone for roughly 3 weeks. Same for getting drinks. They got everything for you. Didn't even leave packets of sweetener on tables....handed you what you asked for.

Room service stewards delivered all food with sanitized gloves on.

The Captain announced multiple times a day for infected folks to stay in their rooms and pleaded with folks getting sick to report it right away. Also when we boarded the ship, there was a multi page letter about noro and what to do to keep it contained.

I may have forgotten other measures taken but Princess went to extreme measures as well to get this under control. It seems to have finally worked but it's all a crap shoot when passengers don't listen.

As most Noro comes onboard with new passengers,...

I don't know why one would jump to that conclusion. In incidents when the same ship has noro problems multiple cruises in a row, the passengers are the one thing that is not present cruise to cruise (save a few back-to-backers). I'd think the ship and the crew were much more likely to be the cause.

From what the CDC says, you are contagious with noro at least 3 days and possibly as much as 2 weeks after recovery. How long do you think a crew member that comes down with it is off duty? If it's a typical 2 day illness, they'd have to be off-duty at least 5 days, and perhaps 16 days, to avoid coming to work while they are contagious. The cruise line certainly can't afford that.

Not that I blame the crew or the cruise line. There is only so much they can do and they do what they can. It's just something that comes with the territory. And yes, I was on the 2/4 "cruise to nowhere" and I did get sick.

Hopefully it won't be like in some countries where you see on the news images of many who wear masks in public. :p

As the USA Today article says the Nasty, contagious norovirus is 'everywhere' now & not limited to Princess or any other cruise line's ships.

I take precautions against norovirus which is not a life threatening disease for those who are otherwise healthy.

As posted in another similar thread

On its own, an oyster can not give anyone Noro... food poisoning yes, noro no.

Norwalk and Norwalk-like viruses are found worldwide. Humans are the only known hosts. The viruses are passed in the stool of infected persons.

There have been cases where Oyster harvesters have been suspected of passing the virus to sea food.

A 1993 outbreak, blamed on oysters, was caused by contamination of oysters in the oyster bed, probably by stool from one or more ill harvesters. Education of oyster harvesters and enforcement of regulations governing waste disposal by oyster harvesting boats might prevent similar outbreaks.

http://jama.ama-assn.org/content/273/6/466.abstract

Knowing the source of the food is a good defense, as well as the satiation standard of the restaurant preparing your oysters.

Most reputable oyster farms would be very unlikely to contaminate their crop. The bus boy shucking them on the other hand

A year or so ago there was a big increase in norovirus for cruises embarking in Charleston. Despite repeated thorough cleanings it continued to be a problem. They discovered that Charleston was having a big outbreak of norovirus. In that situation there was enough evidence that passengers infected in town were continuing to bring it onboard.

It's undoubtedly a combination of factors of which sick passengers bringing norovirus onboard is one of them.

As posted in another similar thread

I must apologize for posting on the other thread but at the time wasn't aware of this more appropriate thread. :o. It may not be possible to combine both threads but will ask if it's possible & appropriate.

Again thanks for researching & posting more info about it. The USA Today article about norovirus said this when discussing ways to be infected with norovirus. Not that anything we read is completely accurate & I'd trust your source more.

Oysters, which are nourished by filtering water on the ocean floor, are the single food most likely to be contaminated, and many restaurants post warnings to consumers to be aware of the risk, especially the elderly, very young or those with weakened immune systems.

The JAMA article discusses how those oysters became infected & transmitted norovirus to those who consumed them. Of those who ate raw contaminated oysters, 83% got norovirus which was attributed to the oysters "probably" being contaminated by human waste.

As NewPennCruiser posted: Room service stewards delivered all food with sanitized gloves on.

Many people, including most food servcie workers, are so misinformed about plastic/rubber gloves. They only serve as window dressing and protect the worker from getting his/her hands dirty.

I get even more suspicious and watch food handling/serving practices even more closely when I see workers wearing plastic/rubber gloves. Why? Because while wearing what I call Magic Gloves, I've observed food service workers scratch their hiney, wipe their nose, scratch their head, handle soiled items and then clean items, sling a mop, run the register and handle money, and more - all while wearing gloves.

A clean plastic/rubber glove is only clean until the wearer touches something contaminated. Just like a freshly washed hand is only clean until you touch something contaminated.;)

Be suspicious of any food servcie worker wearing gloves.:eek:

A clean plastic/rubber glove is only clean until the wearer touches something contaminated. Just like a freshly washed hand is only clean until you touch something contaminated.;)

Same advice when going through TSA inspection at the airport. You have no idea what the TSA inspector has touched with his gloves before he touches you and your belongings.

We just recently disembarked form the Celebrity Constellation which had a "serious" outbreak of the norovirus. The way they handled the virus put Princess to shame. first, there was a letter from the captain that the outbreak had occurred and they were going to "increase sanitation procedures". Princess also sends out a letter from the Captain and the Captain makes a PA announcement.

Stationed at the entrance to EVERY public room/shop/venue, were personnel with hand sanitizers and NOBODY got past without a squirt. Not effective against a virus.

Stationed at the entrance to the buffet area (not the food entrance but the room entrance) were personnel with squirters, and again NOBODY got past without a squirt. Not effective against a virus.

see above in red

As NewPennCruiser posted: Room service stewards delivered all food with sanitized gloves on. [/

Good point!

Same advice when going through TSA inspection at the airport. You have no idea what the TSA inspector has touched with his gloves before he touches you and your belongings.

Another good point. And do they change the gloves after every inspection, or do they just go from suitcase to suitcase, person to person? It's nice that they're protecting themselves, but I don't want hands that have touched a strangers personal items touching mine! :eek:

On our last few cruises we used a product we purchased at Wal-Mart that contains benzethonium chloride as DonnasDad referred to. The brand is germ-x advanced protection. It is an alcohol free foaming lotion. All we can attest to is we were healthy on and off the ship. We also use it to wipe down the surfaces in our stateroom on arrival.

Our next test will bo on the Coral full transit in April.

This reference was made by the undersigned Ph D

Cato

One of the local TV stations does a weekly feature called "What's Going Around". The physician/journalist lists the illnesses that are being reported most often in several metro-Detroit counties. Beginning in early December the weekly reports included Norovirus along with upper respiratory infections, bronchitis, strep (mostly in children), influenza, RSV (infants and children).

For the second consecutive week, the weekly report has not included Norovirus in metro-Detroit, but influenza numbers have increased. If this pattern is indicative of the rest of the country, maybe there won't be any more severe Noro outbreaks on Princess ships - or any other cruise line. Let's hope this is the case.

Chris

I work at a major university, and about November posters start appearing that read, "To avoid illness with vomiting and diarhea, wash your hands, don't share tableware, etc, etc." Sounds like Noro to me (and I'm pretty sure I had it in early January, courtesy of a local tapas restaurant - 5 of us got sick after eating together there).

I was on Golden Princess to Hawaii in 2009 when we had a Code Orange. Princess did everything you describe and it wasn't even a Code Red. 3 days later, we were back to Code Green.

Another good point. And do they change the gloves after every inspection, or do they just go from suitcase to suitcase, person to person? It's nice that they're protecting themselves, but I don't want hands that have touched a strangers personal items touching mine! :eek:

Don't let them refill your drinks unless they actually re-glove in front of you. I'm serious. This was a flaw in the Code Orange/Red system we observed up in HC and discussed with the head waiter. If you want a refill, walk up to the beverage bar and let them pull the dispenser lever while you hold your own cup.

Hi All

We have a couple of hospitals with closed wards just now, as they are having issues not just stopping its spread but killing it as well,

so if hospitals have major issues cruise ships do a good job cleaning when they get it onboard

yours Shogun

Archived