Best Treat at the International Cafe???

gecko12

Old cruiser but Princess newbie here. My cabin is on the Plaza deck right down from the IC. Those pictures look yummie. Do you pay for things there? I don't know if I want the answer to be yes or no:o

Old cruiser but Princess newbie here. My cabin is on the Plaza deck right down from the IC. Those pictures look yummie. Do you pay for things there? I don't know if I want the answer to be yes or no:o

No cost! It's free! I wish my room was next to the IC :o. Enjoy!

OK. You said "treat." That, to me disqualifies the chicken salad (which I love!), shrimp, etc. & takes us more to the realm of cookies, donuts, pastries, desserts... So therefore, my answer is: the dark chocolate/hazelnut pudding thing with an unpronounceable name -- something like giandula. OH. MY. GOD. I ate 2 or 3 every day after I discovered it. Wow.

:D

Me too - that is the one I love - yum choclate and hazelnut.

So no IC on the Island? That is very sad because you have all made it sound amazing. Is the La Patisserie similar?

No, La Patisserie is not similar at all. Basically, the food they offer consists of 2 trays of croissants and rolls covered with a domed lid. Island Princess is a great ship, but it's too bad that the IC won't fit there.

For those wondering about the Gianduja pudding, here is a photo of it (and some cookies) from the Emerald last year:

P1210872-L.jpg

It's hard to tell, but it's a very, very, thick pudding (almost like a fudge). It's so thick, your spoon can practically stand up in it. It's also very rich, so the small cup is more than enough for a serving. It's usually in the vertical refrigerated cases next to the main displays, and isn't out every day. We've sailed on plenty of Princess ships with the IC and only just discovered the pudding last year. Truly, the best treat from the IC.

So no IC on the Island? That is very sad because you have all made it sound amazing. Is the La Patisserie similar?

No....unfortunately the Patisserie on the Island is really just a little bar in the atrium. They do have a little platter of finger sandwiches and/or tiny sweets from tea service the day before. It in no way compares to the IC. On the other hand, the Island is lovely and is hands-down my favorite ship. The pizza is wonderful.

We take our tray that our ice bucket is on and one of us goes down to the IC and gets two breakfast sandwiches and two special coffees and we enjoy them on our deck for breakfast, we look forward to them each cruise.

Cherie

Can anyone tell me if they serve juice, sodas, milkshakes etcnat the IC? People have confirmed there is coffee that you pay for but what about soft drinks, we have bought soda cards for the Grand in August so would be good to get the IC goodies with a drink.

Thanks Gillian

Can anyone tell me if they serve juice, sodas, milkshakes etcnat the IC? People have confirmed there is coffee that you pay for but what about soft drinks, we have bought soda cards for the Grand in August so would be good to get the IC goodies with a drink.

Thanks Gillian

They have all fountain sodas and some juices (such as those used to make mixed drinks, but no milkshakes. These are only obtainable at Scoops ice cream counter near the pools (on most ships). But that's an easy elevator ride up from the IC.

I have not read all of the posts, so please forgive me if this has already been said. At least on the Emerald, the best thingh about the International Caqfe is the people! The other passengers that gather there AND the staff that works there!

I have not read all of the posts, so please forgive me if this has already been said. At least on the Emerald, the best thingh about the International Caqfe is the people! The other passengers that gather there AND the staff that works there!

I. Agree , as long as they eat all the warm cookies

My upcoming Diamond Princess cruise does not have an International Cafe. Is there another place on the ship (other than H C) where I can get chocolate or almond croissants & desserts ? Thanks in advance.

We were on the Coral her sister ship and it also did not have an IC- but we were offered chocolate and almond croissants every morning in the main dining room. They walked around with a lovely silver tray of all kinds of muffins, rolls and those yummy croissants. In the afternoon the tea cart had warm chocolate chip cookies at 3:30! On Friday morning of our cruise we had a dessert display in the HC at 11:00 AM - gorgeous desserts and a fabulous treat for the eyes too! They had it roped off for pictures for an hour before serving them so all could see them. We found out about it by going to a cooking demo that morning.

It's been 3 years, and I still crave those little fruit tartlets. I also loved the miniature panini sandwiches. I hope they still have those!

I seem to remember that some items were an extra cost - is it just the gelato now?

We were on the Coral her sister ship and it also did not have an IC- but we were offered chocolate and almond croissants every morning in the main dining room. They walked around with a lovely silver tray of all kinds of muffins, rolls and those yummy croissants. In the afternoon the tea cart had warm chocolate chip cookies at 3:30! On Friday morning of our cruise we had a dessert display in the HC at 11:00 AM - gorgeous desserts and a fabulous treat for the eyes too! They had it roped off for pictures for an hour before serving them so all could see them. We found out about it by going to a cooking demo that morning.

The Coral, I believe, is the sister ship to the Island but not sure. The sister ship to the Diamond is the Sapphire. I do wonder why the Sapphire just recently had the IC added and the Diamond did not have it added when it was in drydock.

It's been 3 years, and I still crave those little fruit tartlets. I also loved the miniature panini sandwiches. I hope they still have those!

I seem to remember that some items were an extra cost - is it just the gelato now?

Just the gelato now. I think a few years back they had chocolate covered strawberries and a couple other items you could get for a minimum charge but they don't have those now

Did you try the pudding?

Linda, you will have to try it in October and report back. It does sound yummy, doesn't it!

The Coral, I believe, is the sister ship to the Island but not sure. The sister ship to the Diamond is the Sapphire. I do wonder why the Sapphire just recently had the IC added and the Diamond did not have it added when it was in drydock.

I have a friend that is going on her first cruise in a few weeks on the Diamond. I wish it also had the IC. I want my friend to fall in love with cruising and in the first 5 minutes, I learned that the IC will do that to you!

Linda, you will have to try it in October and report back. It does sound yummy, doesn't it!

Michelle, I think we should book another BVE before then. What do you think?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi IC lovers!

Just got off the Sapphire earlier today (well, yesterday now) and our cabin was very close to the IC so we walked by there several times a day (and always scoped the place out). Something I found surprising was that, with the exception of the morning pastries, almost all of the other desserts at the IC were also upstairs at the Horizon Court Buffet. Not sure if this is something that just started but on my last cruise (last July on Crown) it seemed that the desserts at the IC were not in the buffet.

Perhaps this can be encouraging to those who travel on the ships that don't have the IC; maybe you'll get a lot of the same desserts in the buffet.

[/b][/color]

Michelle, I think we should book another BVE before then. What do you think?

Linda, I just saw your post. I guess I haven't returned to this thread. I really want to book the BVE for the Coral Princess in September. The Coral is a different class of ship that I've never been on with Princess. I did look at the schedule briefly and it looks like the Coral is returning to San Pedro about mid-September. I actually meant to book it but haven't. Your post has reminded me.

Perhaps you and your friend I met on the Sapphire BVE and Pam might be interested?

Linda, I just saw your post. I guess I haven't returned to this thread. I really want to book the BVE for the Coral Princess in September. The Coral is a different class of ship that I've never been on with Princess. I did look at the schedule briefly and it looks like the Coral is returning to San Pedro about mid-September. I actually meant to book it but haven't. Your post has reminded me.

Perhaps you and your friend I met on the Sapphire BVE and Pam might be interested?

I don't know about my friend but you can count me in.:)

It would be nice to visit a different class of ship (I've only been on the Sapphire). Is the Coral in the same class as the Golden? I have a 2013 cruise booked on the Golden so I hope to be able to visit that ship too.

Archived