who was your favorite cruise director and why?

Joff Eaton...fabulous sense of humour....He reminds me of John Cleese from Monty Python....I also really like Kevin Spacey...I also like Ken Rush.. The more I think about it, I guess I like a lot of them..I am easy to please (lol)...But Joff is still my favorite...

I actually met John Cleese on the QE2 was lucky to chat with him for 5 or 10 minutes the CD was ironically named Andy Dinsdale as Dinsdale Piranha was a character in a Pythons sketch

Edited by cruisercrazy69

This may have been because it was my first cruise, but my favorite was the cd on the brilliance a two years back. I believe his name was Matt something, his assistant was something like Cuddy. I think Matt was British and Cuddy was Scottish. They were great and very professional, and my wife and I enjoyed watching their daily cruise show, it was a riot.

John Heald at Carnival was by far the most memorable and his care and compassion are complimented by his sense of humor.

i take it you never sailed with the person he modeled his schtick after, dave armour? best ccl cruise director ever!

as far as rccl, we like allan brooks. fresh and original!

Edited by H82seaUgo

We really liked Jimmy Rhodes ("How you cruisin'?") on the Voyager. We met him at our CC Meet & Mingle event and we were very impressed with how friendly and approachable he was.

We also liked Dave Chapman on the Majesty in 2011.

Truth is that I don't care so much about the Cruise Director, since I never interact directly with them. I care more about the cruise staff since they are running the Trivia shows, the Karaoke, etc. They are the people who do the real heavy lifting on the ship to keep the passengers entertained.

Let's see......

On the Adventure of the seas - We had Richard Spacey

On the Freedom of the Seas - we had Richard Spacey

On the Oasis of the Seas - we had Richard Spacey

We're going on the Explorer of the seas in September and I heard the CD will be......

RICHARD SPACEY!!!!

We think he's a great Cruise Director, hard working (we saw him rehearsing at something like 1 in the morning), and very funny

But I think he's stalking us............

There's so much more to the job of Cruise Director than stage appearances. If the activities are being run well, then he/she is doing a good job. On one of our cruises, we got to know the band director. It happened to be at the time of a cruise director change. The old one was still on board and the new one was too. The new one was making changes ranging from how the band sounded to how one of the lounge singers was being miked. It really made me see just how much impact they have on all the entertainment areas.

I like the friendly ones too. Dennis Charles (aka Scortino) once halted mid-run from emceeing the evening show to his next gig as Gambling with the Cruise Director to ask how I was enjoying my cruise. He didn't have to do that. He was also the only CD I ever had that actually came and stayed at a Meet and Mingle. I too have appreciated the on and offstage energy of Allan Brooks, Ricky Matthews and Joff Eaton.

Right now, I only have one question. How in all my cruises have I missed both Graham Seymour and Richard Spacey????

I have to go back a few years. My favorite was Matt Baker. He started every show on his harmonica and did the best Austin Powers impression I have seen. RCI lost him to NCL.

could not agree more. We were with him on his last cruise with RCCL.

Abe actually left Vegas, and relocated to Miami. He's working landside for Royal Media Partners. On our recent Enchantment cruise, I turned on the tv, and thought, wow, that's an old show, why are they still using Abe? We sailed with him on Freedom for his last sailing as CD. DD walks into the room and says, "what's Abe doing on tv?" He kept talking and it sure sounded like he was on the ship with us. Sure enough, he was... he was the "jewelry guy".

I would say my favorite CD is Graham Seymour, with Abe as a close second.

Worst? John Blair!

Abe Hughes on The Rhapsody approx. 7 years ago. Sweet, accesible, sincere, funny, not alway "on" and so adorable I always wanted to ruffle his hair when I saw him. I hear he's working in Vegas now. Good luck, Abe!

We recently had Richard Spacey and I agree-he is awesome. And a little bit hot...

We previously cruised on Celebrity. I can't remember our cruise director on the Zenith and our CD on Millennium was only memorable for the fact he was from a city near us in Canada.

So so far, Richard Spacey wins by a mile!

We have only been on 7 cruises - but never even paid attention to the names of any cruise directors - they were all so forgettable - until this last cruise, we had the pleasure of having Richard Spacey as cruise director. He was fantastic.

Truth is that I don't care so much about the Cruise Director, since I never interact directly with them. I care more about the cruise staff since they are running the Trivia shows, the Karaoke, etc. They are the people who do the real heavy lifting on the ship to keep the passengers entertained.

What you should realize is that the staff works under the overall direction of the cruise director and often reflect his attitudes, personality and style. If you encounter a great cruise staff, you will probably find an equally great cruise director. If they are less than enthusiastic and don't interact well with the passengers, the cruise director most likely hasn't done his or her job. However, all of the really great CDs that we have sailed with have always been very visible, very personable and interacted very well with all of the passengers. He or she always did much more than simply emcee the evening entertainment.

Edited by negc

For me, it has to be Mike Szwajkowski ! He was CD on Adventure when we sailed from Puerto Rico a few years ago. He really kept things going. :D

We had Mike a few times as Cruise Director. His comedic timing was right on. He was a very visible CD...found all over the ship. A most personable man. We were sorry to hear he resigned from RCCL to pursue a career on dry land. We ( the MIXED NUTZ) miss him.:p

• 1 year later...