who was your favorite cruise director and why?

I think its difficult to measure up to him.

Most of mine have gone and are no longer active. I liked Jim Uherly, Dave Chapman, Ken Rush.

But my hands off favorite was Johnny Osborne because he would preform if needed.

I hope to have Graham before he stops doing Alaska.

Doug

Beachnative, can't agree with you more. Another favorite is Leigh on the Explorer and Tobi from the Serenade. Tobi is very talented.

My very least favorite is Jimmy Rhodes, who we have had too many times on the Explorer, was a nice change to have Richard Spacey and Frank, and Leigh with Frank and most recently Leigh with Erky from Turkey. They were a hoot on my December Explorer cruise. Drew was CD on daughter's wedding cruise and again on her cruise with me last February.

Beachnative, can't agree with you more. Another favorite is Leigh on the Explorer and Tobi from the Serenade. Tobi is very talented.

My very least favorite is Jimmy Rhodes, who we have had too many times on the Explorer, was a nice change to have Richard Spacey and Frank, and Leigh with Frank and most recently Leigh with Erky from Turkey. They were a hoot on my December Explorer cruise. Drew was CD on daughter's wedding cruise and again on her cruise with me last February.

We just sailed with Tobi on the Serenade. I wasn't sure how I felt about him at 1st, but he really was very entertaining, talented, and just plain interesting. He did an awesome job with Love & Marriage. I also enjoyed his travel videos. Very different from any CD I've sailed with.

I also love Clo. I have never seen a CD out and about on the ship as much as her. Had her on a TA, and her and her staff did an outstanding job keeping things interesting on all of those sea days.

Ricky Matthews! He was so personable and always full of energy. He just makes us laugh. We met him on Serenade of the seas and during our dinner at Portofinos he came over and said hello to my partner and I even though she was deaf (we were signing back and forth). Then on our last cruise, Grandeur, he came running up to us because he remembered us from our previous cruise. Just a really nice guys :-)

It's outstanding that so many people have so many favorites...........RCI is doing well and must have a fantastic vetting process. Richard Spacey of course will be the best Village People Indian................wife thinks...........but that is the extent of his interaction with the passengers vs. others

• 1 year later...

We found another "least favorite" CD last week - John Blair on the Jewel. Dennis Charles was the CD on our first cruise, and we found him to be very pompous and self centered, never visible around the ship. Dennis was supposed to be the CD of our most recent cruise, and we were glad when he was rotated off. John Blair (and his wife) proved to be just as bad, if not worse than Dennis. They were both incredibly fake and condescending in person and on their morning program. Again, only visible on board when hosting their events and very seldom otherwise. We actually saw them go out of their way to avoid talking to passengers one evening in the Schooner Bar.

While a CD will not make or break a cruise experience, I will certainly consider choosing a different ship/itinerary if Dennis or John are likely to be the CD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We found another "least favorite" CD last week - John Blair on the Jewel. Dennis Charles was the CD on our first cruise, and we found him to be very pompous and self centered, never visible around the ship. Dennis was supposed to be the CD of our most recent cruise, and we were glad when he was rotated off. John Blair (and his wife) proved to be just as bad, if not worse than Dennis. They were both incredibly fake and condescending in person and on their morning program. Again, only visible on board when hosting their events and very seldom otherwise. We actually saw them go out of their way to avoid talking to passengers one evening in the Schooner Bar.

While a CD will not make or break a cruise experience, I will certainly consider choosing a different ship/itinerary if Dennis or John are likely to be the CD.

John Blair never met a mirror he didn't like. :rolleyes:

Seriously, the worst cruise director I've ever had on a ship. I once saw him brow-beat a man into changing his answer in Love and Marriage and then told the guy's wife that her answer was wrong, and she had chosen the husbands original answer! Also, his Quests are horrible. Everybody won!!! Every team won! :eek:

I had Richard Spacey once and I thought he was fabulous. Wondering who are others that people enjoy and why.

Richard Speacey, closely followed by Joff Eaton.

Both entertainers and very similar (probably copied routines)

Richard does a better YMCA sketch than Joff (just im my honest opinion) :D

We've had Becky and Bobbie, both Scots, on the Radiance for more than one cruise and they were lovely.

Cruise Directors plan the entertainment and activities as well as MCing functions. Bobbie was always on top of things. He and Becky play off of each other and do a great comedic mix. Lastly, both are very tactful. It's an essential skill especially for the Love and Marriage game. I have seen Bobbie finesse a very difficult situation with someone for whom English was not a first language and I really admired his skill in handling the situation.

The ones I dislike, I honestly work hard to forget.

For me, it has to be Mike Szwajkowski ! He was CD on Adventure when we sailed from Puerto Rico a few years ago. He really kept things going. :D

We loved Mike Salikfha;su98***&^*&^(askdfjlskjflaskjdflk

I lived in Niagara Falls for a year and we talked about the ol' hometown a lot.

I heard he left RC to become a Mountie.

Mike was very personable and actually seemed to care about the passengers and his staff and making sure everyone was happy

Any CD who maintains a low profile .... who can manage his/her staff in a professional manner ... and provide the us (the passengers) with a reasonable or better cruise experience ... is our favourite.

We've had several very good CD's on both our RCL and NCL cruises, and Clo O'Connor stands out as one of the better CD's overall.

Michael and Silke

I agree with you folks. Clo was great-she had just the right blend of sassiness and professionalism. Guys like Ken come off a bit too brash for me, although he must be doing something right since they keep moving him to bigger and bigger vessels.

John Blair never met a mirror he didn't like. :rolleyes:

Seriously, the worst cruise director I've ever had on a ship. I once saw him brow-beat a man into changing his answer in Love and Marriage and then told the guy's wife that her answer was wrong, and she had chosen the husbands original answer! Also, his Quests are horrible. Everybody won!!! Every team won! :eek:

I raise you 1 Dru Pavlov! Biggest idoit and jerk ever! I hope my path never crosses his again!

Great CD Steve Davis! Really nice guy and I have seen 2 thriller dances now!

We had Dennis Charles on our Jewel cruise in 2013. I can only wonder if Dennis has 'evolved' between the time you had him on your first cruise and now. In 2013 he was friendly and personable and around the ship a lot....he was outstanding during the staff vs cruiser water volleyball game. When people comment that CD's seem fake, we need to remember they are performers at times (especially during their Morning Show). It take a bit of ego to do what they do, just like for any entertainer/performer. I know that Elvis Pinto was Dennis' Activity Manager and they seemed to work well 'with each other and off of each other'.

I have to say that Mitch Merucci is to date my favorite CD -- so so personable and always visible; then it might be Dennis Charles, and perhaps Carlos Torres....Allan Brooks did a good job, when we were on Allure, but very aloof (on the big ship, probably necessary). Carlos Torres was terrific when we had him on Her Majesty. On Her Majesty, the entertainment staff, makes for a fun cruise.

Edited by Paulette3028

For me, it has to be Mike Szwajkowski ! He was CD on Adventure when we sailed from Puerto Rico a few years ago. He really kept things going. :D

If all that Mike S. did was "Fountains" he would have been the best, but he was much more than just that.

I also really liked John Blair, his Neil Diamond act was fantastic.

I haven't had any of the big names: Grahm Seymor, Richard Spacey. So I can't compare John and Mike to them.

OMG - hands down for me it's Mike S! Absolutely.

Never sure of the fascination of Kevin Spacey -- I can't stand him.

Jimmy Rhodes was the CD on my last Oasis (Spacey the first) - he cracked me up - so would put him at the top too.