Does NCL provide any perks for a M & G Organizer?

dongordon

You people do know this is a three-year-old thread.

But I'll put my two cents I have done meet and greets previously and am doing another one for next month on the breakaway I totally enjoy doing them although I have never gotten anything nor do I expect to get anything I do it because I have the time and enjoy keeping track of things because I'm a control freak lol

Geri

The more discussion there is on this topic, the less discretion the HD will have to offer special recognition to CCers. I cringe each time I see this topic brought up. I fail to understand why someone would ask this question . . . Even more I fail to understand why folks would reply in detail about their experience.

Was it Dear Abby or Ann Landers that said MYOB?

Interesting observation... I recent heard a HD at a M&G answer the question 'why our group was not being offered a bridge tour?' was because of the prolific writers on CC, and other social sites, that got passengers on ships that normally did not offer the tours to demand it. The corporate line pushed back out of Miami was to be consistent fleet-wide and not offer the bridge tour.

Some HD/Captains may personally keep some discretion to offer limited free tours counter to the corporate push. So, if you get the 'perk' think before you write too much and it is gone for everyone. Then the option for non-platinum latitude members is to pay for the tour or not take it at all.

Interesting observation... I recent heard a HD at a M&G answer the question 'why our group was not being offered a bridge tour?' was because of the prolific writers on CC, and other social sites, that got passengers on ships that normally did not offer the tours to demand it. The corporate line pushed back out of Miami was to be consistent fleet-wide and not offer the bridge tour.

Some HD/Captains may personally keep some discretion to offer limited free tours counter to the corporate push. So, if you get the 'perk' think before you write too much and it is gone for everyone. Then the option for non-platinum latitude members is to pay for the tour or not take it at all.

Like!

People simply talk to much instead of being quiet and thankful for what, if anything, they get.

Harriet

They actually said because people from cc bragged about it on cc???? Interesting

Geri

They actually said because people from cc bragged about it on cc???? Interesting

Geri

We did have someone ask at a m&g as to why they weren't getting a bridge tour and quoted c&c people stating all m&g gets them

They were suitably advised that they could pay to join the organised tour

Chris -- Remember a few days ago, I posted that same info and the usual clowns who haunt these boards looking to start arguments jumped all over me and made some accusations that were not nice.

Chris -- Remember a few days ago, I posted that same info and the usual clowns who haunt these boards looking to start arguments jumped all over me and made some accusations that were not nice.

In this thread? I just did a quick look and can't find any other post you made here....unless I looked to quickly?

Harriet

Who jumped. What clowns. There are clearly two differnt camps lol I wanna know which camp I'm in lol

Geri

Geri, Bill, Harriet, and others... I know we are all on the same side wanting a quality vacation and the best value possible without the needless drama that infects some of these threads. No need for CLOWNS today - just an honest sharing of experiences about our favorite form of vacationing.

Organizing a M&G has its rewards which is getting to know a like-minded group of individuals with a common purpose of enjoying a quality vacation cruise. If you keep this your focus in organizing a meet & greet, anything else that unexpectedly flows your way is gravy and should be accepted graciously.

Chris

Edited by calex

Geri, Bill, Harriet, and others... I know we are all on the same side wanting a quality vacation and the best value possible without the needless drama that infects some of these threads. No need for CLOWNS today - just an honest sharing of experiences about our favorite form of vacationing.

Organizing a M&G has its rewards which is getting to know a like-minded group of individuals with a common purpose of enjoying a quality vacation cruise. If you keep this your focus in organizing a meet & greet, anything else that unexpectedly flows your way is gravy and should be accepted graciously.

Chris

I feel the same way Chris. Enjoy wholeheartedly organizing the meet and greets. I'm on permanent disability so I don't work and have plenty of time. It doesn't take much. Checking in on your roll call posting your lists, picking up some name tags. Last time I even bought a birthday cake for some of the girls that's were celebrating birthdays on board. It was fun. I also organize the slot pulls which is added fun.

Geri

Chris

I'll agree with you on that. One reason I've always loved heading the Meet and Greet. It's fun setting everything up and meeting everyone. I'm also a 'take charge' kinda gal so it's right up my alley. Most group event people already know me from all the M&G's I've done. And all of them I'd done for selfish reasons.....simply because I enjoy it!

Harriet

I'll agree with you on that. One reason I've always loved heading the Meet and Greet. It's fun setting everything up and meeting everyone. I'm also a 'take charge' kinda gal so it's right up my alley. Most group event people already know me from all the M&G's I've done. And all of them I'd done for selfish reasons.....simply because I enjoy it!

Harriet

that is the same selfsh reason we like to do them: we enjoy heading up the group and hubby usually even does a news bulletin.People send him bios, short or long and he turns them into stories. That is alot of work, but again it gives him something to do and keeps him busy while I am out playing bridge.

that is the same selfsh reason we like to do them: we enjoy heading up the group and hubby usually even does a news bulletin.People send him bios, short or long and he turns them into stories. That is alot of work, but again it gives him something to do and keeps him busy while I am out playing bridge.
I hope we do cruise together, so you can have room service and I can go to one of your meet and greets...sounds great.

BTW, on one of my cruises, the person who put together the meet and greet was shocked because she got a free dinner and bottle of wine.

I'll post to the zombie thread. I offered to take the reins on my Roll Call for a M&G and a slot pull since no one else had yet. It's not too much work to set it up and meet ahead of time with the events director and I missed not having one on my last cruise so I figured, what the hey? I'll even be putting out a little of my own cash to make name tags but I like having them so it's worth it. I expect nothing in "perks" from NCL for doing this.

• 2 years later...
You people do know this is a three-year-old thread.

But I'll put my two cents I have done meet and greets previously and am doing another one for next month on the breakaway I totally enjoy doing them although I have never gotten anything nor do I expect to get anything I do it because I have the time and enjoy keeping track of things because I'm a control freak lol

Geri

This has come up again.

Those on one of our Roll Calls is pointing out that the only reason to organize the Meet and Greet is because of the perks the ships gives them.

As Geri said, I have organized many Meet and Greets and never been offered or given any special perk or gift from ship.

I do it because I enjoy it .

But, honestly, I am hoping to convince captain to perhaps offer a bridge tour. :confused: Not a deal breaker, but would be nice.

This has come up again.

Those on one of our Roll Calls is pointing out that the only reason to organize the Meet and Greet is because of the perks the ships gives them.

As Geri said, I have organized many Meet and Greets and never been offered or given any special perk or gift from ship.

I do it because I enjoy it .

But, honestly, I am hoping to convince captain to perhaps offer a bridge tour. :confused: Not a deal breaker, but would be nice.

Wow, I'm surprised that you have never been offered or given any perks. On all my cruises the coordinator got perks. From dinner with wine to usually VIP status which included embarkation and disembarkation with suites, breakfast and lunch in special suite venue, etc. I even remember a group on here going and they mentioned that they put one person who was not cruising in a suite and as the coordinator so she got the suite benefits. Edited by NLH Arizona

Wow, I'm surprised that you have never been offered or given any perks. On all my cruises the coordinator got perks. From dinner with wine to usually VIP status which included embarkation and disembarkation with suites, breakfast and lunch in special suite venue, etc. I even remember a group on here going and they mentioned that they put one person who was not cruising in a suite as the coordinator so she could get the suite benefits.

it depends on the coordinator I think but who knows. I am guessing I have organized at least a 1/2 dozen or more M&G. I do it because it is fun and I it is my personality. The first time I got anything I was shocked. No way, would i organize with the thought of any perks. The last few I have gotten nothing. If we do get something, wonderful if we do not, so what. :D

Wow, I'm surprised that you have never been offered or given any perks. On all my cruises the coordinator got perks. From dinner with wine to usually VIP status which included embarkation and disembarkation with suites, breakfast and lunch in special suite venue, etc. I even remember a group on here going and they mentioned that they put one person who was not cruising in a suite and as the coordinator so she got the suite benefits.

I guess this is why we never received any perk or gift..we were sailing in a suite and are Platinum latitudes members. I have never expected it and that is not why I do it.

I have never received a bottle of wine or such as a Meet and Greet organizer. This is from someone who has organized 5 Meet and Greets.

Now if any latitudes members on our next cruise do not want their "sparkling wine" - I would gladly accept it as a Thank You at our Meet and Greet :hearteyes: ;p:champagne-toast:

Edited by phissy

The last time I planned the M&G on NCL, I didn't get any direct/tangible perks, but the CD (Paul Scally) took a particular interest in me and my DW (still just my GF at the time)... and I feel like it played a part in him picking us for the "best couple" game show, and in his decision on us being the winners.

I organized the Meet & Greet and Slot Pull for a cruise on the Dawn a few months ago and was very confused when they pulled me into the priority lounge area during embarkation. I thought they had made a mistake! I finally realized that it had to do with the CruiseCritic organizing I had done.

They ended up offering priority embarkation/disembarkation, daily canapés, breakfast and lunch in Moderno, an invitation to a VIP cocktail party, and lots of nice notes from the ship's officers. Basically many of the suite benefits without actually paying for a suite.

Because I was traveling with friends and family who did not have the same benefits, I only took advantage of a few of the perks. My cabin mate and I ate in Moderno a few times. We ate the canapés. That's about it. The rest of the time I wanted to spend with my family & friends.

It does seem like it's pretty much hit-or-miss -- so if you want to organize these events for the perks, don't do it, because there are no guarantees that you'll get any perks at all. But if you want to organize the events because you love helping people connect and have fun, go ahead and make the effort. If the perks come and you are able to take advantage, just say thanks. :)

Edited by JustAllie