Does NCL provide any perks for a M & G Organizer?

dongordon

On the NCL Jewel last year (2016) out of Bayport (Houston), a couple in an inside organized our Meet & Greet. We were in a suite and kept running into them at breakfast and lunch in Moderno, and at the special events for suite guests. They said they got invited because they were Platinum Members. NCL doesn't do that for Platinum Members, which we found out later. It was the same for the M&G Organizers on the Jewel from San Pedro through the Panama Canal to Houston, the year before (2015) that. Same thing on the Dawn this past February (2017) out on New Orleans. A single lady cruiser organized this M&G, and just couldn't figure why she was getting such special treatment. Didn't believe her for a moment! So, I know the Jewel and the Dawn reward the ones who sets up the M&G.

On the NCL Jewel last year (2016) out of Bayport (Houston), a couple in an inside organized our Meet & Greet. We were in a suite and kept running into them at breakfast and lunch in Moderno, and at the special events for suite guests. They said they got invited because they were Platinum Members. NCL doesn't do that for Platinum Members, which we found out later. It was the same for the M&G Organizers on the Jewel from San Pedro through the Panama Canal to Houston, the year before (2015) that. Same thing on the Dawn this past February (2017) out on New Orleans.A single lady cruiser organized this M&G, and just couldn't figure why she was getting such special treatment. Didn't believe he r for a moment! So, I know the Jewel and the Dawn reward the ones who sets up the M&G.

The Pearl also gives rewards for setting up a M/G.

The Pearl also gives rewards for setting up a M/G.

4 of the 5 Meet and Greets I have organized have been on the Pearl. Never received any perk from doing this. Last year, organized MeeT and Greet on POA. Did not received any perk, except meeting Captain and Director of Food and Beverage at final Meet and Greet recap. We were sailing in a Suite, perhaps, this is the reason.

Again, I think this is "kind of an urban myth". Never seen evidence of it , myself. However, do enjoy hearing evidence to the contrary.

I'll post to the zombie thread. I offered to take the reins on my Roll Call for a M&G and a slot pull since no one else had yet. It's not too much work to set it up and meet ahead of time with the events director and I missed not having one on my last cruise so I figured, what the hey? I'll even be putting out a little of my own cash to make name tags but I like having them so it's worth it. I expect nothing in "perks" from NCL for doing this.

I realize this is an old thread, but I think the poster did more than most organizers do: I do set up the M&G but by email to the events person: yes, I either keep a spread sheet or ask someone to do it for me as I am not computer literate particularly and I usually set up the slot pull, plus a few other things. All I do for the slot pull is let the slot manager know when we board we will be having one and I introduce myself. Oh sure there are a few other things to do, but certainly it isn't a lot of work. It does take a littler organizing but it is fun and satisfying as well.

Honestly, I think this really depends on the cruise director (and not the ship).

On the Getaway earlier this year, we saw the people who organized our M&G at the suite captain's reception and in the Ice Bar on the last sea day.

Silas, the cruise director at the time, kept a list of some of the people he spoke with during the week and invited them to an invitation-only session at the Ice Bar. I'm not sure if the M&G organizers were automatically invited or if they were included simply because they organized the M&G.

I know the person who organized the M&G on the first cruise we were on (on the Epic), also received some extra perks. And it one of Mitsugirly's cruises she received the invitation to suite breakfast and lunch when she organized the M&G.

I think it is a nice benefit when it is extended, but I would never count on it happening.

Again, I think this is "kind of an urban myth". Never seen evidence of it , myself. However, do enjoy hearing evidence to the contrary.

Not an "urban myth" at all, as you can see there are folks on here who got VIP status for it and others, who know folks who got it. It is pretty well known, on one of my cruises, the gentleman who started the roll call, made sure that someone not sailing in a suite set up the meet and greet, so her family could get the suite benefits (as he said, no use wasting it on someone who was sailing in a suite, like he and his wife did) and she was thrilled. Also, someone posted that a poster fought to get to do the meet and greet taking it away from another poster and yes, that person got VIP status for doing it. And let's not forget the well known poster who said they gave the meet and greet to one of their friends in a non-suite, so she could get the suite benefits. "Urban myth", not so much, but maybe a badly kept secret. Edited by NLH Arizona

I think any perks are pretty much a ship-to-ship thing. I read a recent review of an Escape cruise where the poster got invited to suite reception and got assorted treats delivered to cabin.

Personally, I did a Pearl cruise a while back and got the same, but also received breakfast and lunch privileges at Moderno and concierge service.

Plus, I was checking my Latitudes points a few months later and found that I had been given "Suite points" for that cruise.

As a solo cruiser, I have volunteered to head the M&G on 5 different occasions. I did it purely to possibly meet others to hang out with, and went in expecting that no other perks would be involved... The first time on the Escape, I received fancy soap and shampoo from the Haven, as well as an invite to the Captains party in the Haven. Also, treats were left in my room every day to the point where I just could not eat it all...

A few weeks ago, I was also the head of the M&G on the Escape again, and received no special treatment whatsoever, other than an invite to the Captains reception.

On the Epic, absolutely nothing, nada, zero... So, basically it looks like the luck of the draw from ship to ship. Sailing to sailing.

For me, it's nice when perks are involved, but I go into it expecting nothing...

N a poster fought to get to do the meet and greet taking it away from another poster and yes, that person got VIP status for doing it. .

This happened to me last year. I had started it out, and it was taken over. the person emailed NCL before I got a chance to do it. :evilsmile: C'est la vie.

Im platinum so alot ofperks come with that

I have organized many meet and greet .I enjoy doin it plus meeting fellow ceuisers and the activities we plan .I have enjoyed cabin crawls, slot pulls , LCR and organizing special dinners ...Im not sure if I got extra perks but I enjoyed meeting staff on all the ships ...its nice when they recognize you they do say hello by name .....I like that

But no no one does this expecting perks

I think it depends on the hotel director and how full the ship is (in particular the suites). I co-organized one in Nov. 2010 on the Pearl. We were quite suprised to be taken from the check-in desk over to VIP check-in. Truthfully I had no idea what was ging on (it was not explained to us why) so I just assumed that we were getting early boarding. Once on-board, we were give the whole VIP shpiel by Carlos Zarate the concierge (Lunch and breakfast at Cagneys, VIP debarkation, etc, etc) . Stupid me went up to him and said, Excuse me sir, I think there has been a mistake, we are not VIPs. He said, Maam, you are our very special guests this week. Do not question it, just enjoy!

It took me a few hours to put 2+2 together and realized that it was because of the M&G (it came to together when I saw the other organizer in Cagneys with us!)

We also got Champagne from the Captain, invited to a special cocktail party that was hosted in the 3 bedroom Garden Villa (wow!), got canapes each night, and VIP debarkation and tendering.

I do not think this is the norm at all, but perhaps because we were sailing under capacity (I think the hotel director said we were at 93%).

Basically, I would not expect anything but it certainly was a nice surpise!

We had almost the same also with Carlos but on the Sun.

I didn't organize it because I thought I might get something out of it. I did it because I had a little free time and thought it might be fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It depends on the hotel director. I've organized M&Gs on the Pearl (twice) and the Epic. On the Epic I was invited to a party (sorry don't remember what it was called as I didn't go) and received canapes about six times on a 10-day cruise and a bottle of wine. On the Pearl, it was as others described--suite benefits. Like others, I absolutely don't do it in the hopes of perks (I don't like most of the canapes anyway but I did enjoy breakfast in Moderno :D ). I'm a very organized planner, so doing a M&G is fun and enjoyable for me. I typically travel solo, so I don't need to worry about a travel companion being inconvenienced by it (can you tell my ex hated the M&Gs? LOL). I'm also very comfortable with a mic in my hand.

I've heard before of people fighting over the role, and that's a shame. That would put a bad taste in my mouth--it just sounds petty. I always ask if anyone else is interested in doing it and tell them that I'd be happy to. I ended up cancelling a cruise I had booked, and one member of the roll call had taken over the Meet and Greet and was a bit of a task master assigning tasks to people and wanting to plan a bunch of activities for sea days and such. That wasn't a factor in my cancelling, but I thought it was kind of odd. :rolleyes:

4 of the 5 Meet and Greets I have organized have been on the Pearl. Never received any perk from doing this. Last year, organized MeeT and Greet on POA. Did not received any perk, except meeting Captain and Director of Food and Beverage at final Meet and Greet recap. We were sailing in a Suite, perhaps, this is the reason.

It is not a myth; we have received perks when setting up M&Gs, we have received, maybe an extra tray of appetizers and we have have received nothing. The first time we got something we were totally shocked and had no idea, at first why. I hope no one ever volunteers to be a leader because they expect to bet rewarded by the ship, but you are wrong if you think none do. As I have said, on this thread, we love to do the organizing, it is my personality and sure, any perks are fine, but I never did it with the idea of receiving special treatment. The first one I ever did was prior to and CC connection with NCL. It was back in 2002. To think someone would actually try and take the place of another who started to organize the Roll and or/ or M&G makes me sick. I guess there are all kinds in the world.

As for who gets what, I am sure it has to do with the HD and maybe the events coordinator, but none of us will ever know for sure I guess.

I couldn't figure out why the woman wanted to take over the Meet and Greet. i see why now. I didn't know you got anything special.(this was the Pearl)

I just wanted to meet people, and being a retired educator I tend to jump right in to start things. ;+)

I'm sure it is ship dependent. We organized a M&G not only did the Captain come to meet us he offered everyone there a tour of the bridge. He swore us to secrecy though. It was a fantastic experience.

One Observation:

I tend to cruise on NCL ships with that seem to struggle getting to the "magic number" of M&G attendees...

The implicit panic of the M&G organizers (and loss of VIP treatment) is palpable and grows daily when they realize we might not have enough attendees for an official M&G.

One Observation:

I tend to cruise on NCL ships with that seem to struggle getting to the "magic number" of M&G attendees...

The implicit panic of the M&G organizers (and loss of VIP treatment) is palpable and grows daily when they realize we might not have enough attendees for an official M&G.

Don't assume the "panic" comes from fearing a loss of VIP treatment. I have often coordinated M&Gs and I do encourage people to attend because as the coordinator, it's embarrassing when the officers outnumber the CC members in attendance. I'm cognizant that these officers are busy people and they take time out to come talk to us so I always hope for good attendance. I don't coordinate for perks and I never expect them so I have no fear of losing them.

Don't assume the "panic" comes from fearing a loss of VIP treatment. I have often coordinated M&Gs and I do encourage people to attend because as the coordinator, it's embarrassing when the officers outnumber the CC members in attendance. I'm cognizant that these officers are busy people and they take time out to come talk to us so I always hope for good attendance. I don't coordinate for perks and I never expect them so I have no fear of losing them.

I totally agree. It's beyond disappointing when people on your Roll Call don't attend the Meet & Greet. I take on the responsibility because like many of you, I'm retired and did a lot of organizing of special events in my professional life as a Director of Volunteer Services. What I wish folks would remember is that the organizer is the only one known to the Coordinator onboard - everyone else can chose to attend or not and remain anonymous. It's embarrassing when so many members of Senior Staff attend and people don't respect their time or effort.

As far as the perks, in my 3 previous times as organizer, I received suite perks the one sailing when we weren't already in a suite. Sailing in a balcony this time, so I'll see what happens. Either way, I'm good.

One interesting note is that another member of our Roll Call did attempt to hijack the coordination of the M & G, contacting the coordinator before I did, claiming he was trying to help. Other members of the Roll Call jumped all over him. He's since disappeared from the Roll Call.