Does NCL provide any perks for a M & G Organizer?

dongordon

One interesting note is that another member of our Roll Call did attempt to hijack the coordination of the M & G, contacting the coordinator before I did, claiming he was trying to help. Other members of the Roll Call jumped all over him. He's since disappeared from the Roll Call.

I would never try to do that to someone else and I would probably be upset if someone did it to me (note: not because of losing any perceived perks! LOL) because I do enjoy it. Not to mention, that's just plain rude!

I would never try to do that to someone else and I would probably be upset if someone did it to me (note: not because of losing any perceived perks! LOL) because I do enjoy it. Not to mention, that's just plain rude!

He actually claimed that he wanted to organize for a group of French Speaking passengers who were not on the Roll Call and thought it would be fine to have a bilingual M & G (our cruise originates in Vancouver, so there are quite a few Canadians). When he contacted the Coordinator, she advised him that the M & G would be on the first sea day, which is customary. I subsequently contacted her to say that he was not representing the group and fortunately, our itinerary starts with 5 sea days on our way to Hawaii, so she scheduled another M & G for the second Sea day. As I said before, not only hasn't he posted in over a month, but she hasn't heard from him since the initial contact. I hope he has courtesy to contact her if he plans to cancel.

Offer all the help you want - but don't play the Sorcerers Apprentice between the duly original volunteer

starting the Meet & Greet (Roll Call) and the on board NCL M&G coordinator.

When dealing with that NCL coordinator remain behind the scenes and defer any requests activity thru the

CC M&G person.

We have a fine program here and a terrific relationship with the NCL people - some of the meetings will

have an abundance of guest attendees and at other times not so great - NCL understands this.

So you participate in the Roll Call - this doesn't mean that you have to attend the M&G - but if you have

indicated that you are Please honor that with your presence even if you have to come late or leave early.

M&G can be a time to get difficult arrangements - priority boarding - access to SX - dining reservations -

billing and other customer service related details handled - NCL folks are here to introduce themselves

and HELP !

If you are wondering - NCL does provide a sort of Continental breakfast - coffee juices tea and bagels

sweet rolls and that fabulous NCL H2O on ice. Sometimes there is more depends on the headcount of

the M&G.

PLEASE THANK THE NCL STAFF FOR THEIR SERVICE AND PRESENTATION !

Don't assume the "panic" comes from fearing a loss of VIP treatment. I have often coordinated M&Gs and I do encourage people to attend because as the coordinator, it's embarrassing when the officers outnumber the CC members in attendance. I'm cognizant that these officers are busy people and they take time out to come talk to us so I always hope for good attendance. I don't coordinate for perks and I never expect them so I have no fear of losing them.

I am have never seen a M&G not go because of lack of people signing up. We have had as few as 15 or so and as many as 50 at ours. I will say, for the most part the smaller turn out, the less likely the officers are to be open and friendly when questions are asked. But again, that is up to the attitude of the management as much as anything else and yes, more than perks, it is a let down when people sign up but do not show up. We all know things happen, and yet, when you are counting on 50 people and 20 show that is pretty bad. :o

I don't organize the meet and greets for any type of perks, I do it because I have the time and I enjoy doing the organizing and meeting new people. I've organized 15+ Meet and Greets in the past on NCL, and have quite a few more in the works.

NCL does as much, if not more, than other cruise lines as far as the Meet and Greets go. They provide the meeting space, send down some of the top officers to chat, and most of the time provide coffee/juice and snacks.

The way I see it, the officers on the ship don't mind doing this and getting the opportunity to meet with the cruisers and get some feedback....and to also encourge the group to let them know of any issues on the ship and handle them on the ship instead of coming back to the internet and posting about the problems and not giving them a chance to correct the issue on the ship.

Margaret:)

We attended a M & G on another cruiseline, and the ship's officers did not attend. So, I think that NCL's are much better.

I just coordinate the M&Gs, and provide a fluid spreadsheet that roll call members can edit and join events as they wish, for the fun of it. Any perks are a plus. But the main perk is the fun of a group of Happy cruisers, having a couple of organized events to attend with those they have already been communicating. Have made many long-lasting friendships from CC.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Don't assume the "panic" comes from fearing a loss of VIP treatment. I have often coordinated M&Gs and I do encourage people to attend because as the coordinator, it's embarrassing when the officers outnumber the CC members in attendance. I'm cognizant that these officers are busy people and they take time out to come talk to us so I always hope for good attendance. I don't coordinate for perks and I never expect them so I have no fear of losing them.

I assume panic when twelve people are on a roll call, and an individual has taken upon themselves to setup the M&G, without asking interest from the forum participants.

I am have never seen a M&G not go because of lack of people signing up. We have had as few as 15 or so and as many as 50 at ours. I will say, for the most part the smaller turn out, the less likely the officers are to be open and friendly when questions are asked. But again, that is up to the attitude of the management as much as anything else and yes, more than perks, it is a let down when people sign up but do not show up. We all know things happen, and yet, when you are counting on 50 people and 20 show that is pretty bad. :o

I was responding to another poster who referred to the coordinator's panic at losing perks if there weren't enough people at the M&G. Like you, I've never seen one not take place because of few people. I had one where there only about a dozen people from CC and about that many officers, too. They didn't stay long.

I assume panic when twelve people are on a roll call, and an individual has taken upon themselves to setup the M&G, without asking interest from the forum participants.

Personally, I would just consider that either boorish or socially-awkward behavior. LOL. I can't imagine setting up a M&G without even asking the roll call if they're interest.

We attended a M & G on another cruiseline, and the ship's officers did not attend. So, I think that NCL's are much better.

We have been to M&Gs on three other lines, on Princess one person from management showed up, but not to any of the others and not on a couple other Princess M&Gs. I think NCL does a great job, plus providing the yummies.

I was responding to another poster who referred to the coordinator's panic at losing perks if there weren't enough people at the M&G. Like you, I've never seen one not take place because of few people. I had one where there only about a dozen people from CC and about that many officers, too. They didn't stay long.

got cha: yes, we had one where we had a very poor turnout and the officers were not there long either; if fact the head of the officers, I think the Hotel manager was borderline rude to us. There is no excuse for that. On the other hand we had one M&G, not long ago where the first question, out of a guest mouth was rude and put the Hotel manager on the spot: no excuse for that either.

got cha: yes, we had one where we had a very poor turnout and the officers were not there long either; if fact the head of the officers, I think the Hotel manager was borderline rude to us. There is no excuse for that. On the other hand we had one M&G, not long ago where the first question, out of a guest mouth was rude and put the Hotel manager on the spot: no excuse for that either.

The crew should not be rude like that--that's very disappointing! I'm always expecting someone to be rude on the CC side, and so far that hasn't happened. At an M&G that was just after NCL had changed a bunch of stuff and there was a lot of churn here on CC, I told the group that this wasn't an opportunity to rake the crew over the coals about it--happily they were great about it! Some of it came up, but no one crossed a line and the crew handed the questions well. :D I've read stories of people being rude to the staff, and if that were to happen, I would apologize to them. As the coordinator, I'm the one the crew sees as the leader, so I feel a little personal responsibility to apologize even though I just met these people!

Organizing a M & G can be a busy job.

I have had some great organizers of our M & G on NCL cruises.

Just curious if NCL (or any other cruise line) provides any perks to those that take on this responsibility

(e.g. free dinner at a specialty restaurant or a free spa treatment)?

Perks for the M&G Organizer

This thread just caught my eye.

And I was wondering, after all the work they do, how do their fellow pax show appreciation?

Is a personal Thank You given, or do they just slither away after the Meet & Greet?

Perks for the M&G Organizer

This thread just caught my eye.

And I was wondering, after all the work they do, how do their fellow pax show appreciation?

Is a personal Thank You given, or do they just slither away after the Meet & Greet?

In my experience most people take the time to come up and say thank you. On a couple occasions when I've run into folks later in the cruise, they've bought me a drink. Totally unnecessary, of course!

Organizing a M & G can be a busy job.

I have had some great organizers of our M & G on NCL cruises.

Just curious if NCL (or any other cruise line) provides any perks to those that take on this responsibility (e.g. free dinner at a specialty restaurant or a free spa treatment)?

First, we should always remember that the purpose of the Meet & Greet is to allow the Cruise Critic members (and their travelling companions) who have been participating and interacting with each other on the roll call a chance to gather to "Meet" & "Greet" each other in person once on the ship.

In order for the Cruise Critic roll call participants to Meet & Greet each other, NCL:

• Provides a space on the ship for the meeting...free of charge.
  • Provides snacks and beverages for the group...free of charge.
  • Has their Department Heads show up to express their appreciation toward the group.
  • Has staff clean up after the group's meeting...again, free of charge.

IMHO, NCL is already providing enough for one small group to have their private meeting. Asking for or expecting perks in addition is just a bit too much.

Perhaps the better question to ask would have been: "Did your roll call group do anything to thank both NCL and the staff involved for what they did and provided so that your group could have their meeting?"

First, we should always remember that the purpose of the Meet & Greet is to allow the Cruise Critic members (and their travelling companions) who have been participating and interacting with each other on the roll call a chance to gather to "Meet" & "Greet" each other in person once on the ship.

In order for the Cruise Critic roll call participants to Meet & Greet each other, NCL:

• Has their Department Heads show up to express their appreciation toward the group.

IMHO, NCL is already providing enough for one small group to have their private meeting. Asking for or expecting perks in addition is just a bit too much.

Perhaps the better question to ask would have been: "Did your roll call group do anything to thank both NCL and the staff involved for what they did and provided so that your group could have their meeting?"

Shark. As you are aware, I am a "gift giver" and usually have gifts for the officers who attend the M&G. It is my way of thanking them, but since the word "gift" generates animosity on these boards, I doubt if anyone else does this.

I was on the NCL Star a couple of years ago and arranged for a M & G for about 50 people. It went well (even though I was sick with pneumonia and ended up in the ship hospital that evening). There was a cruise before ours and some people were still on the ship and attended that M & G before our cruise and the organizer on that one got a bottle of wine. She also got another bottle of wine for the one she organized after our cruise (she was on 3 back-to-back cruises).

She attended the M & G that I organized and told me she got a bottle of wine that evening. So she got 3 bottles of wine and I got none. I think she got the second bottle by mistake (it should have come to me but she never corrected the error):loudcry:!!!

I coordinated a Meet and Greet for our Jade Med cruise eight years ago. I had no thought about receiving perks. I only did it because on a previous cruise the M&G had been so apathetic. So i was amazed at what Armando Da Siva, the HD on Jade back then, did for us. He gave us VIP status, access to the concierge, breakfast in Cagney's, a dinner with the Captain, and put us on the VIP bus for the Cairo overnight. Again, none of this had been anticipated or expected. We did have a huge roll call and we put a lot of work into coordinating everything, but that was fun, not work. The next cruise we also coordinated the M&G, and HD John O'Hara extended many of the same courtesies, though we were in a suite and didn't expect or need anything extra. Again, it was fun getting the whole thing together. So the obvious answer is that any perks or extras are at the discretion of the Hotel Director, but I wouldn't recommend one volunteer to coordinate a Meet and Greet in the hope of getting anything extra.

Well said, and I agree. Thank you!

Edited by Azure Moon
trying to get the rest of the quote to show, but can't.

• 5 months later...
Hi I have a question regarding the escape. I wanted to make sure I have the correct email for setting up the M&G.

groupeventescape@ncl.com. I have sent 2 and no response from them thanks

Use specialeventsescape@ncl.com Same for all NCL ships (just sub any ship name) for the group coordinator.

(From my iPad, so please forgive the errors)