Air fare OUTRAGEOUS!!!!

cutiepiefred

I have been looking at airfare for our upcoming cruise. OMG its going to cost more then our cruise to just fly home. That's not counting the gas to drive to the airport. the flight down, the hotel and the transfers. Its like 400 bucks a person to fly back on 11-11 from Fort Lauderdale.

PS. this is on jet blue. its only 89 to fly down. We have 7 people traveling with is and to each have to pay that for a flight is not going to happen. we also are trying not to pay for bags to fly.

Anyone else think its a mistake for it be that high? the day before and the day after is only 100 bucks or so

I have been looking at airfare for our upcoming cruise. OMG its going to cost more then our cruise to just fly home. That's not counting the gas to drive to the airport. the flight down, the hotel and the transfers. Its like 400 bucks a person to fly back on 11-11 from Fort Lauderdale. END OF RANT

PS. this is on jet blue. its only 89 to fly down. We have 7 people traveling with is and to each have to pay that for a flight is not going to happen. we also are trying not to pay for bags to fly. Anyone else think its a mistake for it be that high? the day before and the day after is only 100 bucks

If you're talking about the cruise in November...it is a bit early for airfare. You should be looking for that airfare in the June/July timeframe.

If the cruise is at another time, search for alternative airports and/or days. If the airfare is 75% less the day after, why not just get a room and spend the night?

flight prices go up as the seats sell fast....if this is the day you get off your ship and especially if other ships are in port, there will be high demand for flights and then the cost goes up....

can you stay over 1 night and fly back the next day??? it would be cheaper to stay in a hotel and delay flying home 1 day then to give in and pay those high prices....and it is a nice way to extend your vacation a bit....:)

Marsha

I have been looking at airfare for our upcoming cruise. OMG its going to cost more then our cruise to just fly home. That's not counting the gas to drive to the airport. the flight down, the hotel and the transfers. Its like 400 bucks a person to fly back on 11-11 from Fort Lauderdale.

PS. this is on jet blue. its only 89 to fly down. We have 7 people traveling with is and to each have to pay that for a flight is not going to happen. we also are trying not to pay for bags to fly.

Anyone else think its a mistake for it be that high? the day before and the day after is only 100 bucks or so

no it is not a mistake. in florida on days that cruise ships disembark flight out are extremely high. we always stay one extra night in a non expensive hotel and fly the next day for a fraction of the cost.

no it is not a mistake. in florida on days that cruise ships disembark flight out are extremely high. we always stay one extra night in a non expensive hotel and fly the next day for a fraction of the cost.

But no other Sunday is that expensive. there are cruise ships in port every Sunday in Novemeber.

yes it is novemeber, but we need to have an idea of how much its going to cost. and the day after isnt an option. everyone has to go back to work

That's why the airfare is significantly higher on the day you're looking at. Everyone else is thinking the same thing.

We can all "yeah, but...." this until the cows come home and it isn't going to change anything. I've yet to hear of an airline changing their pricing because "the people on Cruise Critic said.......".

You really have only a few choices:

1) Wait and book within a more reasonable window.

2) Stay the night and fly back the next day

3) Book now and pay the higher rates

4) Find a different cruise...possibly one not requiring airfare at all...or cancel the cruise and take a different type of vacation...again, one not requiring airfare.

Only YOU can determine which option is best for YOU. What works for me or someone else isn't relevent to your situation.

There isn't much else that can be done.

What airport are you flying back to? Are you close to NJ? It might be the end of "Jersey" week.

washington dc, we have to drive to the airport and park cars there for the week as we have 7 people traveling with us. can't all fit in one car. its 6 hrs to jersey from here, so thats not an option. that leaves us pittsburgh, or washington dc area

We can all "yeah, but...." this until the cows come home and it isn't going to change anything. I've yet to hear of an airline changing their pricing because "the people on Cruise Critic said.......".

You really have only a few choices:

1) Wait and book within a more reasonable window.

2) Stay the night and fly back the next day

3) Book now and pay the higher rates

4) Find a different cruise...possibly one not requiring airfare at all...or cancel the cruise and take a different type of vacation...again, one not requiring airfare.

Only YOU can determine which option is best for YOU. What works for me or someone else isn't relevent to your situation.

There isn't much else that can be done.

our cruise is paid for in full already for 7 people we are not canceling it. I was only asking if anyone else though it was a mistake on the website that it was really high. there was no reason to be rude.

Like someone else said, I think the big price difference is 11-11 is Veterans Day. Since it falls on a weekend, The federal Holiday will be friday or monday, so maybe the weekend fare will drop when people realize it is a long weekend and start booking those dates around 11-11 and not 11-11

If you're in the DC area, check Southwest when their schedules come out. Right now I think you can only book through 11/2/12. Southwest flies from BWI - FLL (Ft. Lauderdale). Sometimes when Southwest opens their seats, other fares may drop. Also check on Kayak. Jet Blue is often not the cheapest alternative. Make sure that you are checking to fly into West Palm Beach, Ft. Lauderdale, and Miami. All are alternative airports.

washington dc, we have to drive to the airport and park cars there for the week as we have 7 people traveling with us. can't all fit in one car. its 6 hrs to jersey from here, so thats not an option. that leaves us pittsburgh, or washington dc area

Not sure where you live (maybe I missed that post) but have you considered the train or do you have access to the train? Many times the fares are a lot cheaper (depending on destinations) than plane fare.

stay a xtra day in port than fly home?

our cruise is paid for in full already for 7 people we are not canceling it. I was only asking if anyone else though it was a mistake on the website that it was really high. there was no reason to be rude.

It didn't think SeaShark was rude at all. BTW why did you pay in full for a cruise in November ?

We live in Pa. and we can't rent a van and drive, 5 out of 7 have to work Monday morning,and will never make it home in time its 18+ hours. we are already considering flying down on Saturday and staying at a hotel because flights leave so early and its 3 hour drive to airports. Flights down are between 89-100 bucks one way. which is fine, its coming home that the fare is outrageous. We just paid in full, because we all had the money at booking and didn't want to have to worry about it later, its all done and paid.

We live in Pa. and we can't rent a van and drive, 5 out of 7 have to work Monday morning,and will never make it home in time its 18+ hours. we are already considering flying down on Saturday and staying at a hotel because flights leave so early and its 3 hour drive to airports. Flights down are between 89-100 bucks one way. which is fine, its coming home that the fare is outrageous. We just paid in full, because we all had the money at booking and didn't want to have to worry about it later, its all done and paid.

Some people can easily extend their cruise for a day and others can't for whatever reasons. Having teens in school and being self employed I totally understand this. We have one more cruise booked but after that I think we may do an AI because of airfare only prices.

Archived