Balcony Cabin Next to Hump - OK?

Our current cabin on a Freedom Class is a balcony right next to the hump (aft) on the port side of the ship, so the hump is to the right when facing the ocean. (Specifically LOS cabin 6650). Anyone know if there are any obstruction or other issues with this location.

Edit: reviewing the deck plan, there is one cabin between us and the hump, but if anyone is aware of any issues, that would be helpful. Thanks.

We are just off Explorer & were in 1652 which is in a similar location. We were extremely unhappy with the location. We were aware that we wouldn't be able to see the front of the ship but didn't realize just how restricted it would actually be. Future cruises will be on, or in front of, the hump.

We are just off Explorer & were in 1652 which is in a similar location. We were extremely unhappy with the location. We were aware that we wouldn't be able to see the front of the ship but didn't realize just how restricted it would actually be. Future cruises will be on, or in front of, the hump.

I 100% agree with this statement.

Tim

Someone suggested in front of the Hump. I hate that. It is windier.

We're in the first balcony facing forward on the hump, so I suppose we'll catch all of the wind! Honestly didn't think about that when we booked - it was the last hump balcony available and I pounced on it.

On Mariner we once had cabins 7330 & 7332 (connecting cabins directly behind the bump-out.) We would book this location again in a nano-second. The convenience of being so close to the elevators and stairs outweighed anything else tenfold. There's still plenty of ocean to see. :) The bump out was a total non-issue.

Since I've never steered the ship, I really don't care if I can see the front of it! We've been behind the 'hump' and it hasn't affected our outward views in the least. And, that area is mighty convenient!

That would drive me nuts! I always like to see where we're going. :cool:

then you won't be able to see aft. You can't have it both ways unless you're on the center hump

then you won't be able to see aft. You can't have it both ways unless you're on the center hump

If you are far enough away from the hump, then the amount of your view that it blocks would be much less than if you were right up next to it.

Center of the hump is a great location..we didn't notice it being any more windy than any other balcony we've had.

We have also had center hump cabins and a few just forward of the hump. There have been very few occasions when we could not sit out on the balcony because it was too windy. I also try to avoid just behind the hump because I like to see where I'm going...I already know where I've been !!!;):D

On Mariner we once had cabins 7330 & 7332 (connecting cabins directly behind the bump-out.) We would book this location again in a nano-second. The convenience of being so close to the elevators and stairs outweighed anything else tenfold. There's still plenty of ocean to see. :) The bump out was a total non-issue.

Agreed! We've had 7330 & 7332 twice on the Explorer as well as 7630 & 7632 once. Love the convenient location.

Agreed. Unless you're center hump (not an option for us because we need 2 connecting rooms) then your view will be obscured either forward or backward by the hump. If you're the type of person who absolutely must see where you're headed, book forward.

We actually had that same cabin (6650) booked for our Med cruise until yesterday when I decided to upgrade us to a JS to get extra space (the JS's had just become available).

Anyway, I had been absolutely OK with the location. We had been in the same spot (other side) a couple of years ago on Liberty and did not find the hump too obtrusive. It was obviously in the way of seeing directly to the front, but you get a fine view to the rear. I'm more concerned with convenience to the midship elevators, and this location is perfect for that!

I think the hump discussion does my head in. We were in a js hump on LOS on port side, which is a prize hump, but then I worried about the noise of the baby grand directly above. So I wanted the same cabin but on starboard, but the TA said I couldn't have it. Well, it was available using that site that shall not be named. And I think even the RCL site. So she booked me into a js which is still on the hump but more aft. I'm not too fussed really, because other than one day we are in port. Having just been on the QM I now know the importance of being near the stairs/elevators. And so that has become more relevant than the hump to me. I guess we won't have the wind problem either, being more aft. And not smoke either as it will be forced away from us.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been on the Hump several times, and the answer is Maybe - but that would be really rude of people. They would literally have to put there head totally around the partition to see into your cabin. And your cabin door would have to be open. If your cabin door is closed, I don't think you could really see anything. This is true for all cabins. Being next the the hump doesn't really give you much more opportunity to see into others cabins. You can't even see if people are on their balcony's if seated. And if they are standing at the rail, all cabins allow for you to see that.

Are there any privacy concerns with a cabin right next or very close to the hump? Can someone in a hump cabin next door see into our cabin from their balcony if our windows are not covered?

This is the only thing I don't like about this location. You can all see each other when you stand at the railing, but when you are in the cabin 1 or 2 from the end of the hump, it seems like those people are that much closer to you. I just didn't like the feeling of it.

We had this location on one cruise and there was a woman next door, last hump balcony, who came out and smoked on her balcony and leaned on the railing looking over at us nearly every time we were out there. Maybe I'm just traumatized. Sometimes you never see your next door neighbors. ymmv

a hump cabin is any cabin located on the area where the ship's hull bows out and makes a hump onthe side of the ship. You canfind them by looking at the deck plans in a catalog or online on Royal's website or other crusing websites. :)

Archived