Hotel in Venice pre-cruise

We stayed at the Best Western San Marco. Just off St. Marks square. We took a Vaparetto that dropped us off at the cruise port and we left our luggage there and had a short walk to the ship.

The San Marco is a great hotel and I would highly recommend it. Not real close to the cruise port, but easy to get there.

Dave

We stayed at the Antiche Figure in Venice each time we were there. It's a tiny hotel but quaint. The staff are very friendly and it has a great breakfast included.

The hotel is on the grand canal and across from the railroad station and very close to the cruise terminal or the bus station where you will end up if taking a bus from the airport. There is also a vaporetta station right by the hotel.

It's rated as number 3 out of 442 hotels in Venice and the prices are quite reasonable.

http://www.antichefigure.com/

I stayed at the new Hilton in 2010. I liked it because everything was accessible via water bus. It's a water taxi ride to the cruise terminal, and not too far. It was nice being in a bigger modern hotel with all the amenities and it wasn't too expensive.

We stayed at the Antiche Figure in Venice each time we were there. It's a tiny hotel but quaint. The staff are very friendly and it has a great breakfast included.

The hotel is on the grand canal and across from the railroad station and very close to the cruise terminal or the bus station where you will end up if taking a bus from the airport. There is also a vaporetta station right by the hotel.

It's rated as number 3 out of 442 hotels in Venice and the prices are quite reasonable.

http://www.antichefigure.com/

Agree 100%. We are booked there later this month for four days as part of a land tour of Italy. Love this hotel..

Our family of 4 stayed at the Olimpia in 2010. We loved the room, the service and the lovely breakfast room. They held our bags until it was time to depart for the cruise-it was a short bus ride to the port, but about a 30 minute walk to St. Marks. We would stay again.

I would recommend the Locando Orseolo. On our last transatlantic the hotel was completely booked up with people on our roll call and from what I've read, in 2013 it is again. :) We had initially planned to stay there but our plans changed and we did not do a precruise in Venice so I can't give personal advice but everyone who does stay there raves about it.

Hi all - we are sailing on the Silhouette out of Venice in late June and are looking for a recommendation for a hotel that would be in a good location near the cruise terminal. Has anyone stayed at the Best Western Olimpia Venezia? Any info would be appreciated-

Rita and I stayed in the Locanda Orseolo last October for our cruise and loved it (our CC group booked the entire hotel-26 rooms). It is a small botique hotel right off St Marks square. The staff are what make the hotel special (the hotel is charming also, with lots of character), as are the made to order crepes for breakfast (breakfast buffet included in price). For a special treat take a water taxi from Marco Polo Airport directly to the hotel, entering canal side through the water window. The hotel can also arrange for a water taxi to the ship (really neat again since you leave through the water window). For pictures of our adventure (including a movie of the water taxi ride) see our Picasa album at https://picasaweb.google.com/JohnandRita1/201110VeniceItaly?authuser=0&feat=directlink

For the best prices on wine be sure to visit the Coop across the street from the terminal.

Have a wonderful time:D

John

We have stayed at the Carlton Grand Canal. Very close to the bus and train stations and has a dock to take a water taxi from the airport. Good location, short walk to the cruise terminal. Good restaurant and service.

You didn't say if you will be flying in and just looking for one night? If you have more time, I'd look for something nearer St Marks Square so you can be closer to the center of the greatest walking city ever. ;)

There are many small hotels tucked away that offer lovely rooms off little squares that make them quiet and convenient. We stayed at Al Codega for 4 nights post cruise and it was a perfect home base for all day walks. Sure hope you have the time to walk the city "neighborhoods". Fantastic to get away from the tourist stops. Have a great time!

If you go to the Europe ports of call board, you will get tons of helpful info.

We stayed at the Hotel Olimpia last fall before our transatlantic cruise. It is a very nice place just steps from P. Roma. Take the bus from the airport - only 5 Euros - and it drops you off within sight of your hotel with only one bridge to cross, something to consider in Venice. The hotel was clean, and our room looked as if it had been newly remodeled. An ample breakfast buffet is included. There is a nice little restaurant around the corner that served a tasty, inexpensive dinner. Ask at the hotel desk and they will give you the name of the place and directions. We also found a little sandwich shop near the train station for rustico sandwiches and gelato. The hotel suited our purpose just fine. Once I saw St. Mark's Square, I knew I didn't need to be staying near there - big crowds and tourist-trap cafes. We were able to walk all over Venice at our own pace and return to our hotel in the evening. On embarkation day, we took the People Mover which is in the left hand corner of P. Roma from Hotel Olimpia - very easy even with luggage.

As recommended, go to the Ports of Call board for Italy (Use the drop-down menu at the botttom of this page) and you'll find lots of info.

We stayed at the hotel Al Codega close to the Rialto bridge and enjoyed it very much. It was clean, modern, wonderful staff, great breakfast, quiet, and easy to reach with our carryons. We left our luggage in P Roma next to the People Mover for a reasonabale cost after arriving there via bus from the airpot. On the morning we embarked, we picked up our luggage, used the People Mover to the ship. Easy peasey.

Ciao,

Nikki

Hi all - we are sailing on the Silhouette out of Venice in late June and are looking for a recommendation for a hotel that would be in a good location near the cruise terminal. Has anyone stayed at the Best Western Olimpia Venezia? Any info would be appreciated-

We stayed at the Olimpia a couple of years ago for one night post cruise. It was convenient for the airport and the cruise terminal. hotel was clean and functional, but not luxurious. They also took care of our bags for us as it was too early to check in at disembarkation time.

Would stay there again. I agree that it is a 30 minute walk to St Marks, but would also add that it is a fabulous walk!

We've stayed at the Locando Orseolo twice and loved it. The family who run it will do anything to make your stay special. Good recommendations on places to eat, making arrangements to call the water taxi for a very early airplane flight, etc. You can get anywhere from here. Much more of a very romantic Venice experience than one of the larger, more Americanized hotels.

Thank you to everyone who responded to my inquiry regarding hotel options in Venice pre-cruise. Many of the hotels recommended do not have available rooms for the night of 6/23. We are flying in or the 23rd and will probably go with the B.W. Olimpia as it is ranked 72 out of Venezian hotels on Trip Advisor and a few of you gave it positive reviews. This is our second time in Venice. We spent 2 nights at the Violin D'or in 2010 while on vacation visiting our daughter who spent a semester in Florence. We did a fabulous walking tour w/secret Venice and spent a few hours on the island of Murano where I purchased several Murano beads from one of the glass factories. Really looking forward walking along the canals and exploring. We may even stay on the Lido post cruise for a few nights.

If you want to save a few bucks by using a hotel not located directly in venice but in close proximity I can suggest one we have stayed in:

Quality Hotel Delfino - Venedig Mestre

Mestre is located directly across the bridge connecting Venice to the main land and it has a bust-stop dircetly in front. buses to venice depart here every few minutes and are only 1,50 EUR per ride. it takes one stop and approx. 10 min. and you are there

do not miss to check it out.....

Thank you to everyone who responded to my inquiry regarding hotel options in Venice pre-cruise. Many of the hotels recommended do not have available rooms for the night of 6/23. We are flying in or the 23rd and will probably go with the B.W. Olimpia as it is ranked 72 out of Venezian hotels on Trip Advisor and a few of you gave it positive reviews. This is our second time in Venice. We spent 2 nights at the Violin D'or in 2010 while on vacation visiting our daughter who spent a semester in Florence. We did a fabulous walking tour w/secret Venice and spent a few hours on the island of Murano where I purchased several Murano beads from one of the glass factories. Really looking forward walking along the canals and exploring. We may even stay on the Lido post cruise for a few nights.

Enjoy. WE posted about the Hilton. It is our favorite. We have also stayed on the Lido, very accessible by water boat. Less expensive than the island and also had some great restaurants. Lovely view of the Island at night.

I am sure one can save money by staying on Lido or in Mestre, but there is nothing like strolling around Venice at night--it is just magical. The best description I have heard is if one stays in Mestre (which I have only seen by train but have no desire to see any more of), it is like visiting Manhattan but staying in Hoboken. I really think it is worth the few extra $$$$ to stay IN Venice.

Archived