Do you bring your own beach towels?

jlk806

I guess I am the odd one here, but we do bring our own if going to the beach. I buy the really inexpensive ones so I can toss them if want to.

Why do I do this? For one thing the ship's towels are really heavy and when they are wet they are even heavier. So I wouldn't want to lug them around the port the rest of the day. Secondly, I have seen the ship's towels left behind by others and if you don't return them to your cabin you will be charged for them. To me it is just easier to bring some cheap ones or old ones along.

I bring my own also for the same reason.

I always bring my own. I have lots of beach towels, with names of islands I visited on cruises.

I don't worry much about luggage weight, so I bring a couple, I prefer to use them rather than ship towels, never worry about losing one

However for my Alaska cruise I am leaving my towels home LOL. If I brave the hot tubs I will use the ship towels

We bring our own. I bought some cheap ones at Walgreens when they were 3/$10! They are thin but do the job and are easy to pack. They take up maybe 2 mm when folded.

I am afraid to lose the Carnival towel and be charged.

The Carnival towels are so big, bulky and heavy that it makes carrying them too difficult.

Maggie

Edited by maggieworkman

I have brought thin ones on cruises. I don't like the heavy weight of the Carnival ones, but carry it in port if we are spending the day at a beach. I really don't like having to deal with the wet towel full of sand when I get back. I just let the steward take it and replace it with a new clean, dry one.

Sharon

Why did you have to post that.

That is why I love chair hogs. Can always pick up a few extra to take on shore and not be worried about losing it. Now the secret is out. :D

But.....there's plenty to go around!!! :D:D:D

We take one thin bright pink printed one that DD is familiar with so she can find us easily on deck on sea days. Even if we aren't in the chairwhen she is looking :eek: she knows it's where we are going to be...within thirty minutes of course:p

I'm not condoning losing a towel, but I always wonder how Carnival keeps track of them. Every single cruise I have taken, we ended up with more beach towels than people in the room. We take our towels to sit out on deck or to go in port and come back to the cabin to fresh ones. So now we have 4 towels for only 2 people. The next day the same things will happen.

It hasn't been uncommon for us to have 4-6 beach towels in the rooms by the end of the week for only two of us. In my experience the beach towels have never been an even exchange of replacing new towels with old ones.

If I ever got charged for one, I would definitely challenge the charge unless I really lost it onshore.

With that being said, we just use the ship towels. I like having fresh towels daily and it really isn't hard to keep track of them. I also can find my lounge chair very easily because there is normally a book, beach bag or something else accompanying my chair.

Edited by tak81288

Or just use the ship ones? I know you can take one off the ship, but Im just wondering how many people just bring their own? We are doing a dolphin swim as a shore excursion and a beach day so we will definitely need towels while off the ship. Just wondering what all of you pro cruisers would do so I dont unnecessarily overpack (because I will do that anyhow:rolleyes:)

We bring our own. I use them to wrap bottles of wine in while packing so they don't take up that much extra room. I agree with being easier to spot your chair. Also, I don't want to have to pay $26 for a Carnival towel if we should lose it. Mine only cost $8 at Wal-Mart.

• 4 years later...

Nope!

20kg airline international baggage allowance doesn't go very far as it is..... Dress shoes, suite etc...

The last thing I need is a towel taking up highly valuable space and weight.

Besides, paying for a lost cruise towel is WAY cheaper than paying for excess baggage...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

ship ones. even if you lose it, theres always a few on deck to replace it with. just go to the towel hut and say you left your blue one on a chair and it was gone when you got back. presto, new towel, or free souvenier.

The best thing at the beach if you are going to be stationed on the sand is a flat bedsheet...the sand shakes right off! Then all you need is a small towel for hands/faces and the beach-goer can dry in the sunshine.

If we do pack a beachtowel, it is an old, thin one.

I bring my own, it makes it easier to find our stuff on the beach when they see the bright orange flipflop towels. I bring two beach towels and use it to identify our spot. Really they don't take up that much room at all.

Ship's towels for us

We never have any qualms about losing them - there are plenty to be found just lying around the ship with no one around early in the morning!!

I thought I was the only one who noticed all the free towels!:)