14 nights inside with teenager

schoolmom

Wanting to go to Hawaii for the 14 night cruise; unfortunately, the economy only allows us for an inside. We have always been spoiled by a mini. What can I expect with an inside for this many days with 3 in a cabin?:confused:

Wanting to go to Hawaii for the 14 night cruise; unfortunately, the economy only allows us for an inside. We have always been spoiled by a mini. What can I expect with an inside for this many days with 3 in a cabin?:confused:

How well do you all get along?:) I personally could not do it but it's really up to you and your cabin mates.

I think it depends on your teen. Do they spend a lot of time away from the cabin or in the cabin? If they are a teen that spends a lot of time in the teen club and hangs out with friends, you may be fine.

When I have had inside cabins, I spend more time not in the cabin.

I did this multiple times with teenager up to the age of 22. We were all able to be polite, considerate and keep to our own space. I guess it would never occur to me that we would have problems. Especially on the last cruise, she was too old for teen club and she was studying for her oral exams in neuro science and chemistry PhD program. Since that trip in the mid 90's she has grown up and is now sharing her inside cabin with hubby and son. Guess she didn't hate it too bad.

We have done the Hawaii cruise three times in an inside cabin with our teen and tween. We are a close knit family and I love sharing the time together. It's not a burden at all. We spend most of our day outside our cabin doing things on the ship so we are usually only in the room all at once first thing in the morning and before bed. As long as everyone is considerate and cooperative it shouldn't be a problem. I know that years from now I will look back and treasure the times we shared as a family in our little inside cabins.

I did a 9-day on the CB last summer with my 15 yr. old in an inside. We booked last minute and it was just the two of us this time so I thought we'd try it. He was gone all the time with the teen club and activities. It really wasn't that bad, I slept like a rock in that cave but I sure did miss the balcony we'd always had before.

If it's an inside or no cruise then I would defiantely do the inside!

I don't know if I could do it, but it depends on your family and your teen. There are a lot of sea days and your child will need to be good at entertaining himself or herself. Lots of adults get bored on that cruise. It sounds like heaven to me, but it might not be so great for some. Good luck. Hope it works out for you.

We have done the Hawaii cruise three times in an inside cabin with our teen and tween. We are a close knit family and I love sharing the time together. It's not a burden at all. We spend most of our day outside our cabin doing things on the ship so we are usually only in the room all at once first thing in the morning and before bed. As long as everyone is considerate and cooperative it shouldn't be a problem. I know that years from now I will look back and treasure the times we shared as a family in our little inside cabins.

+1... We're on our way to another cruise, 4 people to a cabin, now the girls are teenagers, one in college, and nothing to it. More work for the cabin steward, definitely, but an OV cabin is about what a college residence hall room is, so that's that :D

The girls also never participated in any of the kid/teen activities (I think in one of the cruises we found the area eventually :cool:). We parents are busy and the girls are busy with school so as karatemom2 wisely says, this is our time together. Lots of good time is spent people-watching, port sightseeing, shopping, and the like....

If you were not a saint before you sail, you will be after. That is assuming the teen makes it back alive! :rolleyes:

If you've always been spoiled by a mini before, I'm not sure that a cruise with 9 sea days is a good way to test how you'd like having 3 in an inside. To me there's a big difference between having an inside triple or quad on a port intensive cruise versus having one on a cruise with 9 sea days. All the suggestions about spending your time visiting ports and shopping aren't much help on those days.

Our family loves Princess and I'm usually the first to say that our family doesn't need rock climbing walls or water slides or ice skating rinks to enjoy a cruise. But this itinerary is one instance when I'd be worried my kids would get bored, and living with a cranky teen in cramped quarters would not be fun. I'm sure it can be done but if it was our family, we'd need a vacation from our vacation like Matcodixon says.;)

Our budget will not allow anything other than an inside cabin, and we are about to take our 4th cruise as a family of four, in an inside on Plaza Deck, on the Grand!

We find that being generally tidy and organised helps a great deal, that and a well bitten tongue with lots of patience! We really only use the cabin to wash and sleep, and are often literally "ships that pass in the night".

When we started travelling this way the children were five and ten. This summer, both still coming with us, they are 13 and 18!! It will probably be our last major family break together as our son will be heading to pastures new very soon. I fully intend that we will enjoy every minute, cramped or not!

I sincerely wish you the best of trips. It will be what you make it, and as someone else said, inside or no cruise......its a no brainer for us!! x

We usually get insides (or OVs) so the three of us are used to being together during a cruise. Our last two cruises was this itinerary (the first one was back when it was still 15 days) and we didn't shot anyone else in the family on either cruise.

On that last one, our girl was 13 and we had an OV (that was all that was left, along with window suites, by the time we've booked). We went to the Remix area on the first night and she met the other teens. She found a few girls her age (13/14) and they would hang out most of the non-port time. We didn't expect her to stay with us, except when we were in port, and she seemed to spend a lot of time in the pool (she ended up watching more MUTS than us -- she even help point out where to get blankets and popcorn when she saw us about to see a movie there for the first time, and curled up in the chair next to us), seeing much of the entertainment, some time in Remix playing video games (we don't have them at home). Her preference for the next vacation is something involving large cities -- it wasn't the sea days, but she wants to see some new places.

I don't cruise in my cabin. I sleep in my cabin. There are plenty of decks to go sit outside and look at the ocean, and most of the time you can even find a spot in the shade.

What would you envision doing in the cabin that would be so much worse in an inside cabin? You don't have any more privacy in a mini, it's all open. The only thing I can think of would be no balcony dining. Oh well.

Archived