LIVE from the Diamond Princess - 35 days Singapore to Vancouver

Pia1913

Pia, thanks for posting this "Life from" thread. I'm on a very similar cruise next year on the Diamond, from Beijing (Tianjin) to Vancouver. A couple of different ports but otherwise, the same. I look forward to your comments.

Pia, always enjoy your live froms. Will enjoy this one especially, as we can relive our last spring's cruise through you. We had much the same itinerary as you, with the exceptions of the Japanese ports. We were too close to the tsumani and nuclear problems after the horrific earthquake. Enjoy, it is a great cruise.

Pia Thank you for taking us along with you I hope you booked me in a mini suite (I need to try one vicariously as we always go inside) I will spend my time on the balcony reading your news.:D:D

Good Morning; party cloudy, and already hot and humid. We will be at sea for the next two days and hopefully seas stay as calm as they are right now.

The morning agenda starts with a Thailand lecture, which will conflict with our M & G. Port lecturer for this cruise is Hutch; very knowledgeable guy who actually tells you things. He does not do what some others do which is read from a script. At 10 :00 MUTS has a short documentary In Search of History: China’s Forbidden City and all morning there will be assorted presentations and demonstrations by the spa staff. Also this AM a sushi demo in the Atrium.

Pub lunch in the Savoy beginning at noon. For those reading this who are not familiar with the Diamond or its sister the Sapphire, these ships have 4 different little dining rooms, besides the biggie that is used for traditional dining. They all have the same main dinner menu, but each little one has a featured item as follows:

Pacific Moon - stir fry noodles with shrimp and scallops

Vivaldi - osso bucco

Santa Fe - fajitas

Savoy - I don’t recall

You can order any one of the specials no matter where you are dining and last night in Vivaldi I had the stir fry.

Getting back to the agenda, lots more from the spa, the movie “Beginners” in the theater and another documentary on MUTS, “Dolphins and Whales.” These are just a few of the things happening; tons of stuff to do, or not, on this first sea day.

Tonight’s offerings is the movie “ Adventures of Tintin” on MUTS, showtime in the theater is a magician/illusionist Matthew McGurk and in Explorer’s, comedian Al Brown. I swear that man follows my schedule. He has been on our last 3 cruises and here he is again. I need to speak to him about that.

I had a tough time getting on line; hope the internet straightens itself out before eating too many of my minutes. Time for breakfast. Bye.

And so, I typed the above and never could post. Lost signal just as I got connected and it didn’t come back. Will let you know the approx. time whenever I actually get Live.

LIVE at noon, but took 20 of my minutes and I don't evenknow whether this willpost. So here's some info:

Elites on board 201

Plats on board 431

Most travelled over 1400 days. We are fourth. As usual

lunch cutoff 375

Pia..Thank you for your "Live from the Diamond". Looking forward to your personal experiences in the port cities. This cruise you are on is on my bucket list if I can get DH to consider 35 days! Please say "Hi" to Gloria and Lew and also when they board to Amelia and Ken. Wishing you all calm seas, blue skies, and tolerable humid weather!

Anita

A quick hello because I can.

Amelia: IC will be installed this coming October

Jim: Wine very expensive in Singapore. Hoping to find some in Bangkok. Meanwhile we have enough to last, especially since Mike is drinking Dos Equi. :)

See you guys tomorrow, internet permitting.

Hi Pia

Looking forward, as always, to following your "Live From".

Quick question - if there's no IC where can you get a late night (post midnight) snack now that the HC closes? Actually, when does the HC close?

Thanks for your really descriptive posts and have a wonderful cruise.

IC will be installed this coming October

Hi Pia,

Thanks for the live thread.

Interested that you have mentioned IC will be installed in October,I gather this will be done whislt cruising ?

Any info on the Diamond is much appreciated as we will be first time cruisers on her in Oct .

Thanks again for any info.

Cheers

Johhno for Oz

Hey Pia - and Mike - well, glad to hear you made it across the Pacific pond safe and sound and are settled onboard the Diamond. I am going to enjoy living this trip through your eyes as I know I will never get George to agree to any cruise over in that neck of the woods.

We were in Boynton during Easter and I had thought about trying to get ahold of you - but then realized you were either getting ready to leave - or had already left - for your 35 day journey. How many days is this going to give you now - I know you are over the thousand range at this point.

I still haven't figured out how to find your posts on my own - but with Denise and Franky's help - here I am. (Hi Denise - Hi Franky)

Stay safe and enjoy this wonderful adventure you are on. I am so happy I had the pleasure of sailing with you in February. You are indeed one of a kind and quite a treasure. I hope our cruises will cross paths again.

Barb Brant :)

Good Morning; party cloudy, and already hot and humid. We will be at sea for the next two days and hopefully seas stay as calm as they are right now.

The morning agenda starts with a Thailand lecture, which will conflict with our M & G. Port lecturer for this cruise is Hutch; very knowledgeable guy who actually tells you things. He does not do what some others do which is read from a script. At 10 :00 MUTS has a short documentary In Search of History: China’s Forbidden City and all morning there will be assorted presentations and demonstrations by the spa staff. Also this AM a sushi demo in the Atrium.

Pub lunch in the Savoy beginning at noon. For those reading this who are not familiar with the Diamond or its sister the Sapphire, these ships have 4 different little dining rooms, besides the biggie that is used for traditional dining. They all have the same main dinner menu, but each little one has a featured item as follows:

Pacific Moon - stir fry noodles with shrimp and scallops

Vivaldi - osso bucco

Santa Fe - fajitas

Savoy - I don’t recall

You can order any one of the specials no matter where you are dining and last night in Vivaldi I had the stir fry.

Getting back to the agenda, lots more from the spa, the movie “Beginners” in the theater and another documentary on MUTS, “Dolphins and Whales.” These are just a few of the things happening; tons of stuff to do, or not, on this first sea day.

Tonight’s offerings is the movie “ Adventures of Tintin” on MUTS, showtime in the theater is a magician/illusionist Matthew McGurk and in Explorer’s, comedian Al Brown. I swear that man follows my schedule. He has been on our last 3 cruises and here he is again. I need to speak to him about that.

I had a tough time getting on line; hope the internet straightens itself out before eating too many of my minutes. Time for breakfast. Bye.

And so, I typed the above and never could post. Lost signal just as I got connected and it didn’t come back. Will let you know the approx. time whenever I actually get Live.

LIVE at noon, but took 20 of my minutes and I don't evenknow whether this willpost. So here's some info:

Elites on board 201

Plats on board 431

Most travelled over 1400 days. We are fourth. As usual

lunch cutoff 375

Don't feel too bad-We did this cruise a couple of years ago as one cruise. There were two most traveled parties; one each segment and we were three days from #3 on the first segment. We heard that one of the top three was getting off in Bejing so thought we might have a chance for #3 on second leg. One passenger getting on had enough days to move every one down-Bottom line-still #4- We feel your pain;)

I'll chime in also and say so far this has been a good cruise. Internet has been the slowest we've had in a long time. It's 5am and thought it might be faster but no it's not. This is our first time for this itinerary so excited about all the ports. Will post about some that most probably aren't doing.

We were honored to be able to share the evening with Pia and Mike on our Transatlantic last year as their guests in the front row. They were in the top three on that one.

We were also guest of Pia and Mike (loved those fabulous special order Cosmos) this past Feb. on the Grand. Right Denise, Brian and Jack.:)

It pays to know important people ... in the cruise world.

:D:D

It’s Tuesday the 17t h of April, the weather is warm, the seas are calm, the sun is coming out and perhaps the internet will have a signal. Right now it doesn’t, but you can’t have it all. Anyhow, I’m off line and you’ll see this asap. Meanwhile, I have to mention that the gym is unbelievably crowded. Yesterday you could barely walk thru the door at 7:15. Today, almost the same. Usually the gung ho folks get less and less as the days go on. We will persevere.

We did in fact see the comedian Al Brown last night and most of his show had new material. There are less Americans on this cruise, so he geared his show accordingly.

Some of the things happening this morning is the beginning of the book club; they will be reading The Confession by John Grisham. There will be a lecture by Hutch on Ho Chi Minh, MUTS will show “Rio”, the infamous 3 hours only $10 bargains will be available, Bingo of course, and a lecture; The Story of the Buddha & Reflections on Buddhism.

In the afternoon a few offerings is the movie “The Help” and “Footloose” on MUTS. Evening will bring us the champagne waterfall and welcome aboard party, this being the first of our formal nights. Entertainment is the production show “Do you Wanna Dance” and Australian vocalist Michael Montgomery.

The clocks go back an hour tonight and we’re happy to have the first of many hours of extra sleep. We gave them away getting here, and now we can get them back.

Forgot to mention the music groups on board. There’s a group called Nightwatch (either in Explorer’s or at the pool); my opinion is YUK. The famous Maurizio is in various venues and Moonlighters

Quartet is the group in Wheelhouse. Crooners pianist is Pavel Albrecht.

Answers:

1. HC closes at 11; only room service thereafter

2. Barb: not even close to 1000

3. Ed and Franky: :o

4. We've been #4 more times than the top three. Used to it.

Time for breakfast.

2. Barb: not even close to 1000

Pia,

I am enjoying reading The Travels of Pia very much. While I can only dream of missing out on the top 4 most travelled, it is fun reading about your quest for #1. I can think of very few goals that are as relaxing to reach as that one. Have a great trip. :)

Richard

Wine very expensive in Singapore. Hoping to find some in Bangkok. Meanwhile we have enough to last, especially since Mike is drinking Dos Equi. :)

They are not very big on wine in Singapore. We took one look at the prices in the stores and walked out. Settled for the package deal on board.:D

Good luck in Bangkok....I have a feeling thats much the same.:rolleyes:

Hey Pia,

We just got off the Diamond on Sunday when you were embarking. Our captain was captain Oliver, so he must have gotten off the ship when we docked in Singapore.

Hutch is extremely valuable with all his information and it is nice his lectures replay on the TV on ch 34 throughout the day, so you can take notes. We did go see him at his office hour one day to ask some questions about Singapore, he is not really that friendly when you are asking questions, but gave us enough info that we could figure out things.

Not sure what your itinerary is, but if it is at all in part the same as ours, once you leave Vietnam, the temperature will drop drastically and it will be pleasant, and not stifling hot!

Enjoy your trip, we sure enjoyed our 16 days.

Hey Pia,

Not sure what your itinerary is, but if it is at all in part the same as ours, once you leave Vietnam, the temperature will drop drastically and it will be pleasant, and not stifling hot! Enjoy your trip, we sure enjoyed our 16 days.

Please post your itinerary for us to see your exciting ports!

Thanks

Archived