LIVE - Food/Wine from the Voyager 4/23

Travelcat2

I'm sharing this information to give possible hints for items you may wish to buy when visiting Italy.

TC2 - I totally agree! Italian foods are unbeatable - all the Med-spices are outstanding and very popular souvenirs to take home to your friends and families.

Enjoy your italian-stile buffet onboard - Buon appetito!

Really glad to hear that these posts are helping those of you out there that will sail on Regent in the future:D Even though the Voyager was refurbished in drydock in September, 2011, they keep sprucing the ship up. We had breakfast in La Veranda this morning around 7:30 a.m. -- when we returned for lunch, there were all new chairs. Quite a surprise!

Had to laugh about the salt stick question because it seems most of the passengers are addicted to those things. One lady commented that she must have three salt sticks with dinner each night. My DH loves them -- but removes the salt (go figure:-) I believe you can get salt sticks in all restaurants but not at the pool bar. Not 100% sure about Signatures -- but think I saw a mini version of salt sticks there.

I'll try to remember to see if they have chocolate croissants -- time is running short as we leave on Sunday. The last couple of days have been extremely hectic -- long excursions, etc.

I need to add a "but" to a statement I have made for a long time. The statement was that the Captain's Reception was on the 2nd night onboard unless you spend the night in port" and the Captain's Farewell and Crews Kapers was the night before the last. These nights included the "special" menus in Compass Rose. The "but" is......... many things can interrupt this schedule. Tonight would typically be the Captain's Farewell, but, most passengers are on very long excursions into Florence. The special menu (lobster, Beef Wellington, etc.) were last night. Not sure yet when the Crews Kapers show will be (not tonight).

Regarding Portofino -- we are being told that we will tender in Portofino (contrary to posts that have been on other CC boards regarding anchoring in Portofino). I'll certainly verify this tomorrow night.

Today we did the Hills of Lucca and Wine Tasting while most passengers went to Pisa (very close by) or to Florence (quite far away). We have wanted to see Tuscany for a long time and took this excursion for the amazing views of Tuscany rather than for the wine tasting (although the wine was good). Weather today is 85 degrees (reportedly warmer in Florence). Seas remain fairly calm. You can feel a few ripples in the sea during the night. People in the ports we have visited for the last 17 or 18 nights said that this has been a strange Spring. It was lovely in March, they have heavy rain and storms in April and are getting summer weather in May.

Cannot think of newbie tips at the moment. Will post about how we arrive in Portofino tomorrow. I'm wondering if CruiseCritic plans on posting my review as it was almost 50% a review of Cappadocia. I reviewed the pre-cruise as it was part of Regent's programs and several people had asked about it. Unfortunately I did not keep a copy. May have to recreate it at some point.

I do have some thoughts that I'd like to share tomorrow (probably in the morning which is in the middle of the night for most of you).

Editing this to add an important thing that newbies should know. Ships are not always able to receive a signal for the internet. There are places in the world (including Alaska) where the signal is not available for several hours. I've heard that internet is not available off the coast of Japan and also something about Norway. Perhaps someone reading this thread could expand on this as it is better for passengers to know in advance that they may not be able to make contact at certain times.

Regarding Portofino -- we are being told that we will tender in Portofino (contrary to posts that have been on other CC boards regarding anchoring in Portofino). I'll certainly verify this tomorrow night.

GREAT NEWS - you made my day!

Ralf

Editing this to add an important thing that newbies should know. Ships are not always able to receive a signal for the internet. There are places in the world (including Alaska) where the signal is not available for several hours. I've heard that internet is not available off the coast of Japan and also something about Norway. Perhaps someone reading this thread could expand on this as it is better for passengers to know in advance that they may not be able to make contact at certain times.

You forgot to add that depending on the location of the ship in port, internet as well as TV may not be working due to things blocking the satellite signal such as other ships, buildings, mountains, etc. Areas where the ship may not be able to access the internet are high latitude locations on earth such as Alaska or Antarctica where it is extremely difficult to access satellites in Geo Stationary Orbits which is where all communications satellites used by the ship are. Won't go into the technical reasons but, sure others on this board are aware of these issues. So you may also have TV interruptions in the same locations you have internet interruptions.

As to internet not being available off the coast of Japan, that is not true; what is true is that when docked in Japan, the internet must be turned off by the ship. Works fine while entering and exiting ports but, some strange Japanese law requires that the ship turn off the internet while docked.

You forgot to add that depending on the location of the ship in port, internet as well as TV may not be working due to things blocking the satellite signal such as other ships, buildings, mountains, etc. Areas where the ship may not be able to access the internet are high latitude locations on earth such as Alaska or Antarctica where it is extremely difficult to access satellites in Geo Stationary Orbits which is where all communications satellites used by the ship are. Won't go into the technical reasons but, sure others on this board are aware of these issues. So you may also have TV interruptions in the same locations you have internet interruptions.

As to internet not being available off the coast of Japan, that is not true; what is true is that when docked in Japan, the internet must be turned off by the ship. Works fine while entering and exiting ports but, some strange Japanese law requires that the ship turn off the internet while docked.

Very interesting. Are ships dependent on Geo Stationary Satellites for navigation?

The satellite that provides internet is the same one that provides Fox news channel. So, in areas where coverage is spotty or intermittant, such as Norway, I would turn on the tv. If Fox was playing, I then would run to the internet cafe to do my internet stuff.

Really glad to hear that these posts are helping those of you out there that will sail on Regent in the future:D Even though the Voyager was refurbished in drydock in September, 2011, they keep sprucing the ship up. We had breakfast in La Veranda this morning around 7:30 a.m. -- when we returned for lunch, there were all new chairs. Quite a surprise!

Had to laugh about the salt stick question because it seems most of the passengers are addicted to those things. One lady commented that she must have three salt sticks with dinner each night. My DH loves them -- but removes the salt (go figure:-) I believe you can get salt sticks in all restaurants but not at the pool bar. Not 100% sure about Signatures -- but think I saw a mini version of salt sticks there.

I'll try to remember to see if they have chocolate croissants -- time is running short as we leave on Sunday. The last couple of days have been extremely hectic -- long excursions, etc.

I need to add a "but" to a statement I have made for a long time. The statement was that the Captain's Reception was on the 2nd night onboard unless you spend the night in port" and the Captain's Farewell and Crews Kapers was the night before the last. These nights included the "special" menus in Compass Rose. The "but" is......... many things can interrupt this schedule. Tonight would typically be the Captain's Farewell, but, most passengers are on very long excursions into Florence. The special menu (lobster, Beef Wellington, etc.) were last night. Not sure yet when the Crews Kapers show will be (not tonight).

Today we did the Hills of Lucca and Wine Tasting while most passengers went to Pisa (very close by) or to Florence (quite far away). We have wanted to see Tuscany for a long time and took this excursion for the amazing views of Tuscany rather than for the wine tasting (although the wine was good). Weather today is 85 degrees (reportedly warmer in Florence). Seas remain fairly calm. You can feel a few ripples in the sea during the night. People in the ports we have visited for the last 17 or 18 nights said that this has been a strange Spring. It was lovely in March, they have heavy rain and storms in April and are getting summer weather in May.

Cannot think of newbie tips at the moment. Will post about how we arrive in Portofino tomorrow. I'm wondering if CruiseCritic plans on posting my review as it was almost 50% a review of Cappadocia. I reviewed the pre-cruise as it was part of Regent's programs and several people had asked about it. Unfortunately I did not keep a copy. May have to recreate it at some point.

I do have some thoughts that I'd like to share tomorrow (probably in the morning which is in the middle of the night for most of you).

Very interesting. Are ships dependent on Geo Stationary Satellites for navigation?

Not to my knowledge Tom. Navigation is usually performed thru the use of GPS (Global Positioning Satellites) which are launched in arrays and which probably consist of about 20 satellites in orbit including spares. Believe it takes at least 3 GPS satellites to establish a position and the more, the better the position can be. Same as the GPS system in your car or the small GPS units many of us use for golf.

If you have a GPS, you can usually see in a screen how many and how strong the signals are for the satellites being received. The GPS are launched into orbits inclined to the equator compared to communications satellites exactly over the equator and about 24,000 miles above the earth. GPS satellites are in the hundreds or low thousands of miles above the earth. By launching at inclinations to the equator, these GPS Satellites cover most of the earth allowing navigation at high latitudes.

For more information google GPS and Communications Satellites and look at wikopedia and other sources of data. I've only scratched the surface on all of the facts of satellites.

In the FWIW category, GPS satellites are in one half Geo-Synch orbit (about 11,000mi) and there are 24 in a complete constellation. Dave is right in that sight lines to 3 satellites are generally required for precision navigation. Coverage does start to deteriorate in the polar regions due to a phenomenon called GDOP (geometric dilution of precision); this has to do with the "geometry" of the satellites you're using. Rule of thumb: more satellites are better, satellites "spread out" in the sky is better, and low dynamic platform easier (easier to get a position with a 19kt ship than a 450kt aircraft or one pulling 3-5 gs).

Oh, MY, that was just about clear as mud. Will have to get my son to translate. All I know is that the closer you get to the polar regions, the worse the internet availability is.

I definitely agree with your assessment of the last few posts. Thank you for letting us know that the television doesn't work when the internet is down. It makes sense -- we just do not watch television on board.

Two important questions to answer:

1. We are anchored in Portofino right now. Am waiting until the stores open to tender ashore and check it out.

2. Yes -- chocolate croissants are definitely still here.

For those who are interested in last night's special buffet in La Veranda, here is the menu:

COLD GALLEY

Proscuitto Melon

Insalada Caprese

Grilled Eggplants Stuffed with Mozzarella

Vitello Tonnato

Condijun Salad

Marinated Artichokes

Caponata

Stone Crab Claws

Italian Specialty Cold Cuts and Cheeses

HOT APPETIZER

Arangini

Calamari Fritti

SOUP

Cream of Oven Roasted Tomatoes with Garlic Croutons

HOT GALLEY

Chicken Valtostana

Veal Scaloppini Stuffed with Spinach, Prosciutto and Provolone Cheese

Rabbit Alla Napoletano

Fish Alla Siciliana

Spinach and Ricotta Stuffed Cannelloni

Creamy Polenta

Vegetable Risotto

Butter Potatoes

Steamed Vegetables

LIVE PASTA STATION

Not sure if I mentioned that a favorite wine onboard is Brassfield (2006), Clearlake, CA, Cabernet Sauvignon. Another is the Santa Marguerita white (not sure what variety). We have had the Brassfield or Bogle almost every night (regardless of which restaurant we are at).

Time to go to Portofino:)

Thank you for your kind comments! I'm a bit behind packing (taking a break at the moment) so I'll post my thoughts when we get home (or in a couple of days).

Portofino is absolutely fabulous. We did not take an excursion -- just walked around and did a bit of shopping. What a beautiful port (with lovely yachts to view as well).

A couple last bathroom/toilet notes:

When we docked in Liverno and took an excursion to Lucca, the charge was 60 cents - Euro for the toilet. There was a machine to enter the stall and also a machine to change a euro into five 20 cent coins. Finally figured it all out. No one was there and we were out of change after my visit so I let my DH go in my stall without paying (think we almost deserve it after paying a Euro when less was required but there was no change). Anyway, today the charge was 1 euro -- fortunately we did not to use the facilities:D

This ws truly a fabulous cruise -- we are so pleased that we extended our original itinerary to this one. Absolutely perfect!

Nooooooo! You can't get off the ship - I'm having way to much fun reading your posts.

You are sooooo funny. Will you miss the "toilet reveiws"?:D Actually, we have been away 23 nights and our kittens are missing us (or, at least we are missing them).

Really hoping the review I wrote will come through soon. I will post a link here. Will try to review the second cruise but may need to get over jetlag.

Thank you for taking the time to read this thread.

If your cats are like ours they will snub you for a short time when you get home. Kind of like "who do you think you are leaving us like that". Usually they snub one and not the other (after all they have to eat :D)

Thank you TC -- not only for all of the information, but for your efforts to track down the answers to all the questions. I am delighted to know that salt sticks and chocolate croissants are still available.

Hope your cats warm up to you quickly. Love cats and their quirky personalities.

I've enjoyed reading all of your posts TC and thanks to you I have officially begun my pre-Regent cruise Diet. My goal is 15lbs. This will allow me to endulge and explore all of these delicious food offerings when I'm on board.

Back to the celery stick for now.....

Just got back home and have 2 of our three kitties on my desk helping me to write this. We used Regent air and were happy that we did. The airport in Rome is a 50 minute drive (on a Sunday -- longer other days) and we would not want to mess with taxi's. It's basically going to cost over $200 to get from the ship to the airport. Our British Air flight to Heathrow was on time -- the flight was quite nice. The flight out of Heathrow was an hour late but BA's flat bed seats in Business Class upstairs is wonderful (as are the lounges in Terminal 5 at Heathrow).

I will not step on a scale for another two weeks:p still trying to get my thoughts together and am waiting to see if the review is posted. If not, rather than submitting a detailed review to CruiseCritic, I'll just do a summary on this thread.

It is 11:30 p.m. and to me it's morning:rolleyes:

Just saw that my review was posted. Here is the link http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=101962 (note: we paid $20/person -- not $25 as I mistyped on the review. I also refer to Anconda, Italy (no such place). It was Ancona, Italy.

Have lots of comments on excursions....... in a couple of days.

I also refer to Anconda, Italy (no such place). It was Ancona, Italy.

As long as it's not "Anaconda" ... :D

TC2 - I really enjoyed everything you wrote in the last weeks - thanks again - I'm looking forward to seeing the Mariner in a few days and because of your extraordinary posts I feel well prepared for the upcoming Regent-experience!

Regards Ralf

Jackie, I'm glad to see someone else give BA props. They're not the best, but upper deck bc and the lounges at LTR (especially) make them one of our first choices. Cons: Rude res agents and a charge for seat selection-fortunately we're AAdvantage Platinum so no problem:)

CruiseCritic is really fast today! I submitted the review of our second cruise and it was posted within a few hours (forgive the typos -- I was doing this at 5:00 a.m. due to jetlag:-) http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=102579

In closing, I just wanted to share something I noticed for the first time when the first cruise ended and new passengers were coming on board. People seemed very excited, very tired and the passengers new to Regent were trying to figure out where things were, what the procedures are, etc. It can certainly be a bit overwhelming. After registering in the theater, your first stop is generally La Veranda for lunch. When you arrive there many are not sure if you seat yourself or should wait to be seated (seat yourself). If they see the yummy pasta station, they are asked their table # and generally did not realize that they need it. At that point, it doesn't feel like a relaxing vacatin.

So, what is my point? "This too shall pass"....... recognizing that everything will soon fall into place and by day three you'll feel like you've been on the ship for weeks (although it still is puzzling at times to figure out what direction aft or forward is:-) and you'll be able to fully enjoy your cruise.

Safe travels and happy sailing to you all.

TC2

Archived