LIVE - Food/Wine from the Voyager 4/23

Travelcat2

The taste of bitter also bring the memories flooding back of those long loss cricketing mates, those warm English evening spent in a typical pub, having a laugh and joke, and putting the world to right, happy days. Lager just does not bring back these memories.

Regards

Marion and Kerry

Well said indeed! ;)

Peter, never had the pleasure of a visit to Australia, although am trying to get the wife to do a cruise out that way soon, my brother lives within a couples of hours of Brisbane, will have to ask him to taste some on my behalf. Never seen an Aussie bitter in the Uk, although there's plenty of lager knocking around, can't get my mind around cold bitter, just aint right, but there again we are not fortunate enough to have your climate.

Nice to see the reference to the convicts, no doubt it will be heard a little more later on in the year, can't beat a bit of friendly banter, between the mother country and one of her offspring?

Regards

Kerry

Kerry,

You should come on down under and visit your brother. There is a good cruise next January (departing 24 Jan) on the Voyager from Sydney to Singapore (and we will be on it). It visits Brisbane as well as many other Aussie ports. I would be very pleased to see you on board and to share a good Aussie bitter or two.

Peter

Kerry,

You should come on down under and visit your brother. There is a good cruise next January (departing 24 Jan) on the Voyager from Sydney to Singapore (and we will be on it). It visits Brisbane as well as many other Aussie ports. I would be very pleased to see you on board and to share a good Aussie bitter or two.

Peter

Peter, this is the one I was thinking about, thanks for the kind offer and it would be a pleasure, but unfortunately I believe it's a tear to early, as later on next year we got our daughters wedding which will involve a cruise, just don't think I can afford the time away from my company, I have looked at it, and I'm am more than interested, looks a great cruise, will wait a little before finally deciding. Thanks for the offer of buying the beers ;)

Regards

Kerry

This is also the last time I will post about beer on this thread, great news however, I can now confirm that Regent UK has confirmed British bitter has been requested for the sailing from Barcelona to Southampton on the 20-5-2012, I imagine everybody on this thread will be overjoyed for me (alright pleased that I will shut up about it) thanks for your patients.

TC2 please carry on with your Stirling work.

Regards

Kerry,

Sorry, Kerry, need one more post from you....what bitters did you ask for? I'd like to get some on the Voyager Baltic cruise we're taking in August and don't want to freak them out by asking for too many brands! Thanks muchly

Sorry, Kerry, need one more post from you....what bitters did you ask for? I'd like to get some on the Voyager Baltic cruise we're taking in August and don't want to freak them out by asking for too many brands! Thanks muchly

Claranda, I asked for tins or bottles of either Fullers London Pride or Shepherd Neames Spitfire in bottles or cans, hope you approve, being a londoner i would have thought at least 1 would hit the spot for you. Thought Shepherds Neames, Bishop Finger might be a bit embarrassing, think I got enough problems with my Dartfordian accent, let alone trying to ask for that.

Look like I might have started something? Have a good cruise, sure we will leave some on board for you, although I have seemed to have created some interest on our cruise, mind you I think it's the name "bitter" people can't get there's mind round. I will be really impressed if this happens, that would be great customers service, wonder if I will have to teach how to pour a pint?

Regards

Kerry

I'm enjoying the discussion of "bitters". As many times as I have visited England, I have yet to try it because of the name. Learning something new every day. No one "owns" a thread. . . . besides, Kerry is a newbie and is simply trying to get some good beer on board:-)

Anyway, I don't know where I left off. Last evenings dinner seems to be missing. For once, I remembered to write down the desserts:

CHEESES

Gruyere

Brie

Bresse Blue

Le Delice

Goat Cheese Plain

Banana and Macadamia Nut Pudding

"Regent's Famous Chocolate Mousse Slice" with Berry Coulis (this might be without sugar added - not sure.

Delicious "Loire valley" Tartlet

Almond Biscuit with vanilla ice cream and fresh fruits

Seasonal fresh fruit late

Canyon Ranch

Warm Apple Dish (180 calories) - Caramelized apple slice and creme anglaise.

LUNCH

APPETIZERS

Greek Spanakopita with Tzatziki - spinach and feta cheese in crispy Phyllo pastry

Roasted Duck Leg Confit with young garden greens and raspberry vinaigrette

Panache of Crunchy Mixed greens

Seasonal Fruit Cup

SOUP

Chicken Coconut and Galangal Soup

Chilled Blueberry Soup

SANDWICHES OF THE DAY

Cajun Spiced Mahi-Mahi Fillet - sourdough toasted bread, tomatoes, shredded lettuce and mojo sauce

french Riviera Club Sandwich - triple decker tuna salad with white toast, fruit skewer and paprika potato chips

Bacon Wrapped Hamburger - stuffed with cheese, country fried potatoes and coleslaw

SALAD ENTREES

Caesar Salad wit your choce of topping, grilled or blackened chicken breast or shrimp

Norwegan Fresh Salmon salad on crisp vegetables and Dilll-Yogurt Sauce

Israeli Chop Salad, Diced Vegetables with Mint, lemon and Olive Oil Dressing

ENTREES

Lo Mein Noodles with Japanese Flavored Pork Bolognese and Chopped Hard Boiled egg

Broiled Fresh Sea Bream Fillet with potato Gnocchi au Jus

Cordon Bleu Golden Fried Veal Escalope filled with Ham and Cheese, parsley potatoes

Roasted Half Chicken with Thai Spices, jasmine rice, yogurt sauce.

VEGETARIAN

Greek Spanakopita with Tzatziki

Chilled Blueberry Yogurt Soup

Israeli Chop Salad

CANYON RANCH

Chicken Coconut Soup (75 calories)

Open-Faced Cajun Spiced Mahi Mahi Fillet (320 calories)

Fresh fruit cup (70 calories)

Always available menu as printed previously

DESSERTS

Cherry Griottes Crumble with Vanilla Ice Cream

Apple Pudding Souffle with Creme Anglaise

No Sugar Added fruit minestrong with apricot syrup ad lime sorbet

Ice Cup Chocolate Liegeois - vanilla ice cream, chocolate sauce and shipped cream

Ice cream of the day: Cookie Dough - Black Cherry Vanilla

No Sugar Added Coffee Fudge

Strawberry Frozen Yogurt

Lime and Vidka Sorbet

FEATURED WINES

Tenuta Guado al Tasso, Vermentino, D.O.C. Tuscany, Italy 2010

La Sirena Vineyards, Syrah, St. Ynez Valley, CA 2004

RECOMMENDED RESERVE WINES

Sbragia Family Vineyards, Gamble Ranch, Napa Valley 2007 $50

Chiarello "Eileen Single Vineyard" Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley 2007 - $89

Dinner - Compass Rose April 30th

APPETIZERS

Norwegian Gravlax, Orange Cured Salmon with Celery - Apple Mousseline

Fried Spring Roll of Curried Chicken and Crab meat with Mango Salsa

Fresh Plums with Vanilla Rum

Wild Mushroom Lasagne with Ricotta Spinach, Tomato and Cheese Sauce

Creamy Fava Beans and Morel Mushroom Risotto with Parmesan Crisp

SOUPS

Cream of Sweet potatoes with Chorizo Quenelle

Chicken Consomme Chanceliere, Green Pea Royal, Chicken Truffle Julienne

SALADS

Shaved Fennel and Frisse Lettuce, Almonds, Fresh Pear, Grain Mustard and Apple Cidar Vinegar

Assorted Greens with Avacado and Grapefruit Segments, Ginger-Grenadine Dressing

Caesar Salad with Traditional Garnish

INTERMEZZO

Lime and Vodka Sorbet

MAIN COURSES

Spaghetti alla Puttanesca tossed in a tomato sauce with anchovy, capers, garlic, olives and basil

Marinated and Grilled Tofu -- on Stir-fried Vegetables tossed with light soy sauce

Grilled Tiger Prawns with garlic and ginger - stir-fried vegetables and egg noodles

Springbok Medallions with Black Current Sauce, pommes Anna, carmelized endive

Traditional Indian Lamb Curry served with Naan bread, onion salad and mango chutney.

Roasted Black Angus Beef Strip Loin with Yorkshire Pudding and Natural Gravy.

A TASTE FROM PRIME 7 AND SIGNATURES RESTAURANT

Dover Sole - string beans, sauteed potatoes Lyonnais, caper and lemon butter

Grilled Fillet Mignon, Fondant potatoes, Truffled Leek and Asparagus and Morel Cream sauce.

MENU DEGUSTATION (tasting menu)

Norwegian Gravlax, Oranged Cured Salmon

Cream of Sweet potatoes

Fried Spring Roll

Lime and Vodka Sorbet

Springbok Medallions

Warm "Guanaja" Chocolate Fondant

VEGETARIAN SELECTIONS

Wild Mushroom Lasagne

Fresh Plums

Assorted Green Leaves

Spaghetti alla Puttanesca

Marinated and Grilled Tofu

CANYON RANCH BALANCED SELECTION

Roasted Pineapple with prosciutto and Rosemary Olive Oil (95 calories)

Chicken Consomme (50 salories)

Grilled Dover Sole (370 calories)

DESSERT (Think I've been getting this menu every day but thinking it was something else:eek:)

INTERNATIONAL CHEESES

Nahon

Bucheron

Stilton

Saint Paulin

Le Brin

Warm "Guanaja" Chocolate Fondant - mango and cointreau sauce

"Grandmother's" Lemon Meringue Pie w/raspberry Sauce

Mont Blanc - chocolae cup with chestnut cream and chantilly

CANYON RANCH SELECTION

Warm Cherry Strudel (180 calories)

OLD TIME FAVORITE

Vanilla Creme Brulee

SORBET

Lime and Vodka

PREMIUM ICE CREAM

Cookie Dough - Black Cherry vanilla

No Sugar Added Coffee Fudge

Strawberry Frozen Yogurt

Later this evening I'll post some of the entertainment that I've missed for a coupole of days. Tonight is everyone's favorite -- details later.

The ports of Dubrovnik, Croatia and Kotor, Montenegro have been magnificent! The seas remain as calm as glass -- clear skies -- temperatures in the low to mid-70's.

Service on the Voyager has always been excellent but seems to be getting even more so (do not know this is possible). If there is something you need or have a question, just ask. The Dining Room Manager, Carlos, is always around La Veranda and Compass Rose and will do what he can to assist you. Food and Beverage Manager, Goran, has made some of the menu's I have posted possible by providing them to me. Both are lovely gentlemen.

First of all, thank you, Kerry, those beers will be just fine. We actually live in Turkey now, so are starved of all 'proper' beer most of the year! We'll definitely put in a special request

And continued thanks to the Cat. I am soooo delighted to see Indian and Thai dishes on most menus. On Seabourn everything was really bland; even the so called 'Indian night' was devoid of spice (and included beef!). They did haul up an Indian chap from the depths of the kitchen to cook us an Indian meal using his own spices (and it was wonderful) but otherwise not a chilli in sight. I began to think perhaps Americans don't like spicy.....

TC2, thank you, might I suggest next time you are in the UK, you give bitter a chance, there are 1000's to choose from, if you go into a traditional pub, rather than a big chain, chat to the bar person and they will normally point you to a suitable beginners beer, around our way, if you ask for a "boys" bitter you should get something not to over-powerful, fairly weak and drinkable.

Regards

Kerry

Jackie;

Can you post what you did in Dubrovnik? We'll be there later this year on Princess.

First I must say that Dubrovnik is an absolutely beautiful port to sail into. As you may know, Regent has "free" or included excursions and excursions that have a cost. The tour we took cost $129.00/person. The excursion left the ship approximately 8:30 a.m. and returned approximately 2:30 p.m. The excursion has a name (that i cannot recall now but will look up if you think that Princess would have the same excursion). We left the ship and took a wonderful drive through Dubrovnik and the hills outside of the city. Note: In order to enter Croatia, you need to have a photo I.D. Your I.D. is checked on board the bus.

Our first top was 9:00 a.m. It was formerly a producer of olive oil (now just a tourist stop). It was an amazing tour. They showed how a horse (not too pleased to be doing this:-) walked around and crushed the graped. Then how the grapes are pressed manually. Following this there was a "snack" of cheese, olives, homemade bread, proscuitto and homemade wines. It was probably the best thing we have tried on any of our tours. Most of us laughed at drinking wine and eating (again) at 9:00 a.m.

The next stop was at a winery. Not impressed. The wine was not of the quality that anyone on our excursion (approx. 25 people) would purchased.

Following that was a walk through town and then lunch. Lunch was a bit disappointin. But, the incredible drive through the area and the morning stop at the olive oil place made this a thoroughly enjoyable tour. Hope this information helps.

Now back to posting. I am so far behind in entertainment. I'll just do the best I can (tonight appears to be lost)

April 28th (trying to do a shortened version of what is written)

George Sakellarious has a new show that includes "pure Guitar Greatness" with a mix of contemporary to Spanish masterpieces. This was at 9:30 p.m. in the Constellation Theater.

10:30 - 11:15 p.m. in the Horizon Lounge was "come Fly with Me" with vocalist Holly Holcomb. She is part of the Regent Singers and Dancers.

Last night -- April 29th was "Viva La Vida" with the Jean Ann Ryan Singers and Dancers. Latin pulsing rythms and a percussive drive heats up the night (Constellation Theater)

Tonight (april 30th) is Cirque Voyager. Although I cannot find the paperwork, we have seen this amazing show before. If you do not see any other show....... see this one.

Tomorrow - May 1st

6:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. NOT TO BE MISSED Farewell Reception and Crew Show. Cocktails at 6:00 p.m. with Crew Kapers commencing at :15 p.m. The Captain takes to the stage and the famous crew salute rounds off performances which will touch your heart. Don't forget your cameras (Constellation Theater.

9:30 p.m. Constellation theater -- Jimmy Nairn 'Mr. Showbiz" is the finest way to describe Scottish muulti-talented entertainer Jimmy Naire, Clarinet, Saxophone, Bagpipes, Piano -- you name it, Jimmy can play it. AJimy's special brand of humor is a tonic for all ages.

Now, where is my "bitter"???????

I can not only complain, I can give props when they are due. The FRESH Med salmon in La Verandah tonight was outstanding! They also did a nice display of local cured meats at the buffet. Well done!

Thanks to Carlos for all his hard work in the F&B department. And of course to TC 2 for continuing this labor of love on the thread.

PS I KNOW I'm not in Ghana, LOL I'm of the generation that still learned geography, and for today, at least, still know where I am. That could change at any moment. :)

Martha

Thanks for the Dubrovnik detail. The first stop sounded lovely but from your overall description, I think this will be a DIY port for us. The City wall, lunch, and whatever. Really enjoyed your blog!

Thanks for the Dubrovnik detail. The first stop sounded lovely but from your overall description, I think this will be a DIY port for us. The City wall, lunch, and whatever. Really enjoyed your blog!

Walked the city wall on our trip. Great views and photo ops. Takes about two hours and costs about $10 (as I recall)pp to get up on the wall. Entrance is at far end of city from where the tenders dock, so you'll have a trip up and down "the block" going to and from the access to the City Wall.

Greg

Thank you all for adding to this thread.

EAGLESLOVER: Don't be so certain that we will never meet. Hopefully we will cross paths on Regent someday:)

Greg and Aloha 1: Interesting input on Debrovnik. I want to add to yesterday's post. A couple took the "included" tour -- the one that goes to a families home where wine, procuitto and cheese were served. I feel that taking the ride around part of the island is a great thing to do -- so many beautiful sites.

commodore2010: Time will fly. Soon you'll be onboard and I'll be wishing I were still here.

Maracamama (Martha): Wish I had been in La Veranda last night. Your description of the salmon makes my mouth water (I'm actually hungry having very little for breakfast this morning).

Tonight is the Captain's Farewell. At least this time it is as "normal" -- the night before the last night. Beef Wellington is on the menu (which I will print later). The computer has been impossible today. I'll be fortunate if this goes through (will make a copy -- always try to do that when sending an email).

Newbie tip: While typing an email or posting on CC, every few minutes press "Ctrl" and "A" to highlight your work and then "Ctrl" "C" to copy it. Then, if you lose the connection, you'll still have what you saved. When the connection returns -- press "Ctrl" "V" and it all comes back. It is easier than it sounds and only takes a moment (when you have everything highlighted, don't backspace or you lose everything:(

I typed up part of our final questionnaire today which we will include with the form we should receive today.

I can say, without exception, that we have received incredible service from every person we have been in contact with on the Voyager.

Menus later.

Menus

LUNCH -- CR

APPETIZERS

Tower of Baby Shrimp Salad with B linis, Egg Mimosa and Salmon Caviar

Chicken Escabeche, Marinated with Saffron and Cider Vinegar. Onion Confit and arugula

Panache of Crunchy Mixed Greens with your choice of dressing

Seasonal Fruit Cup

SOUPS

Potage Julienne d'Aarblay, Warm Potato Soup with Leeks and Celery (also in La Veranda)

Chilled Cream of Avocado with Toasted Coconut

SANDWICHES OF THE DAY

Grilled Marinated Vegetable Panini with Buffalo Mozzarella on Sun-dried Tomato Ciabatta

New Orleans-style Muffaletta Sandwich -- Salami, smoked dturkey, Westphalia Ham, Provolone Cheese and Olive Tapenade on French Baguette

Triple Decker Thai Spiced Pork Burger. Lemongrass-flavored Crispy Asian Slaw

SALAD ENTREES

Caesar Salad (as described in previous menus)

Giant "French Style" Raw Vegetable Salad - Shredded Carrotss, Beetroots, Cucumbers, Radish, Cabbage, Tomato and Heart of Lettuce, lemon vinaigrette

Potato Latkes with Cured Salmon, assorted greens, tossed with avocado Vinaigrette

ENTREES

Rigatoni alla Romana, pasta with spinach, prosciutto and garlic in a sage cream sauce (NOTE: Rigatoni available today in La Veranda with Bolognese or Tomato Sauce)

Grilled Mahi Mahi Fillet, vegetable Aioli and Crispy Garlic

Broiled Chicken with Herb Crust, steak fries, french beans, grilled tomato, crispy bacon

Barbequed Beef Short Rigs, Baked potato covered with cheddar

VEGETARIAN SELECTIONS

Grilled Marinated Vegetab les

Chilled Cream of Avacado soup

Giant "French Style" Raw Vegetable Salad

CANYON RANCH SELECTION

Belgium Endive and Roquefort salad with Fig Balsamic Dressing (110 calories)

Rigatoni Pasta with grilled artichokes and leeks (335 calories)

Fresh Fruit Cup (70 calories)

Don't forget the Always Available menu and create your own sandwich menu posted earlier in the cruise.

DESSERTS

Farmer's Style Normandy Apricot and Apple Tart

Classic Chocolate marquise with Vanilla Sauce

Black Currant Mousse Cake with Wild Berry Coulis (no sugar added)

Ice Cup Strawberry Romanoff - Vodka-marinated strawberries with Vanilla Ice Cream and Whipped Cream

Ice Cream of the Day: Cinnamon - Praline and Cream

No Sugar Added Strawberry

Raspberry Frozen Yogurt

Lychee Sake Sorbet

MAY 1ST - CAPTAIN'S FAREWELL -- COMPASS ROSE

Note: This meal is held 2 nights before disembarkation

FEATURED WINES

Tenuta Guado al Tasso, Vermentino, D.O.C. Tuscany, Italy 2009

Santa Gloria Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon, Maipo Valley, Chile 2010

RECOMMENDED RESERVE WINES

Angelo Gaja, Rossj Bass, Chardonnay, Piedmont, Italy 2005 - $85

Marchesi Antinori, Tignanello, L.G.T. Tuscany, Italy 2008 - $83

APPETIZERS

Marnated Salmon Tartar with Cucumber and Green Asparagus Tips

Carpaccio of Roasted Red Beets in salt Crust with Truffle Vinaigrette

Medley of Tropical Fruit in "Mojito" Syrup

Succulent Baked Oysters with Fennel and Vegetables, Baked with Apple Cider Sabayon

Tortellini de Carne con Zucca e Salsiccia. Meat Tortellini with Butternut Squash and Italian Sausage

SOUPS

Chicken Consomme Renaissance - Vegetable Bouquetiere and Herb Royal

Traditional Fish Soup from Marseille with Gruyere Cheese, Rouille Sauce and Garlic Croutons.

SALADS

Iceburg Lettuce with Creamy Miso - Goat Cheese Dressing and Anchovy Fillets

Baby Greens with Red Delicious Apple, toasted Almonds and Champagne Vinaigrette

Caesar Salad

INTERMEZZO

Sake Lychee Sorbet

MAIN COURSES

Cavatapi con Branzino, Pomodorini e Olive. Pasta with Chilean Sea Bass, Cherry Tomatoes and Olives

Vegetables Tajine with Mediterranean Vegetables, Dates, Chickk Peas and Potatoes

Florida Lobster Thermidor "Cafe de Paris", accompanied by steamed jasmine rice

Free Range Breast of chicken wrapped in pancetta with fontina cheese, polenta with kernel corn

Balti Lamb Tikka. Sauteed Lamb Strips on Shredded Potato Pancake with Raita Sauce

Beef Tenderloin Wellington baked in Puff Pastry, Shiraz Red Wine Sauce, Vegetables, Fondant Potato

A TASTE FROM PRIME 7 AND SIGNATURES

Dover Sole. String Beans, Sauteed Potatoes Lyonnaise, Caper and Lemon Butter

Grilled Filet Mignon, Fondant Potatoes, Truffled Leek and Asparagus and Morel Cream Sauce.

MENU DEGUSTATION (tasting menu)

Marinated Salmon Tartar

Traditional Fish Soup

Tortellini di Carne, con Zucca e Salsiccia

Sake Lychee Sorbet

Free Range Breast of Chicken

"Samba", Milk Chocolate Mousse cake with caramel Ganache

VEGETARIAN SELECTIONS

Carpaaccio of Roasted Beetroot

Medley of Tropical Fruit

Assorted Green Leaves

Cavatapi con pomodorini e Olive

Vegetable Tajine

CANYON RANCH

Carpaccio of Roasted Beetroot (30 calories)

Cavatapi with Cherry Tomatoes and Kalamata Olives (250 calories)

Chicken Scaloppini au Poivre with Jasmine Rice and vegetables (445 calories)

DESSERT

INTERNATIONAL CHEESES

Comte

Taleggio

Goat Cheese Plain

Bel Paese

Danish Blue

DESERT SENSATIONS

No Sugar Added - Warm Thin Normandy Apple Tart w/Vanilla Ice Cream

"Samba" - Milk Chocolate Mousse Cake with caramel ganache

Baccarat - Tahitian Vanilla Charlotte with Wild Berry Compote

Seasnal Fresh Fruit Plate

CANYON RANCH SELECTION

Lemon Chiffon Pyramid w/Raspberry sauce and Phyllo Crisp (130 calories)

OLD TIME FAVORITE

New York Cheesecake

SORBET

Sake Lychee

PREMIUM ICE CREAMS

Cinnamon - Pralin and Cream

No Sugar Added - Vanilla

Raspberry Frozen Yogurt

TravelCat2:

As a newbie - I simply can't thank you enough for this entire thread and the additional discussions that it sparked!

For at least a week now, I have been living "vicariously" through your posts and menus. I have picked out what I would be eating and drinking everyday! I have picked out entertainment choices and gotten new ideas for what to do when staying onboard.

Without you and your all your wonderful "Regent Champions" I doubt we would been having such a knowledgeable and completely awesome experience. Thank you again for taking the time out of your vacation to make everyone else's better!

Please keep the ship safe for us as we board her in 12 days when get off!

Peter,

My friend I are considering the Jan 24th cruise from Sydney to Singapore. This will be very different for us for sure. Our last cruise was in 2010 in July on the Nieuw Amsterdam from Venice. It was lovely but it was so very hot it took my breath away. We saw everything we wanted to but never again in the summer! Now we are looking at the same type of thing, in Australia's summer months and I am wondering, are we making the right choice? Will it just be too hot then? I have waited a lifetime to visit Australia and I want to be sure I make the right choices. Any suggestions or comments will be appreciated!

Kathy

Archived