LIVE - Food/Wine from the Voyager 4/23

Travelcat2

I have had that halibut dish in Signatures a couple of times. Once it was outstanding. Once it was so salty that I couldn't eat it (must have been a mistake as I have never had it so salty before or since--maybe too many cooks spoiled the pot by double salting). Once it was pretty good, but not outstanding.

I too thought the mushroom soup was not as creamy but by which I mean filled with cream. It was smooth, and it tasted great but not as rich. Probably for the better.

Alert: TC2 had quite a bit of wine for dinner and apologize in advance for typos. Also, our "free" day is Thursday -- not Wednesday.

The following is the Prime 7 menu (I think I need to give the menu back to our butler so I'm doing it next)

Appetizers

Ahi Tuna Tartare (with haricot verts -- not a typo -- black olives, tomatoes, potatoes, eggs and herbs

Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail

Jumbo Lump Crab Cake

Foie Grads Slider with Rhubarb Chutney (served to everyone automatically)

Oysters Rockefeller

Combination of Three Steak Tartare (classic, Oriental and veal)

Portabella Mushrooms with roasted red bell pepper and fresh goat cheese

Soups and salads

Clam Chowder

French Onion Soup Gratinee

Hearts of Romaine Caesar

Chop House Salad

Beefsteak Tomato and Red Onion

Sea salted Roasted Red Beets

Featured Prime Steaks

U.S.D.A. Prime New York Strip (12 ounces)

U.S.D.A. Prime Porterhouse (carved table side -- 32 oz. for 2 people)

Cote de Boeuf - U.S.D.A. Prime Bone-in Rib Seadk (18 ounces)

Slow Roasted Primt Rib of Beef

"Our Signature" Surf and Turf

6 oz. filet mignon with one of your seafood favorites - 6 ounce of lobster tail or Alaskan king crab legss

Seafood and Fish Specialities

Alaskan King Crab Legs (Two pounds)

Whole Maine Lobster

Dover Sole

Day Boat Special

Sauces

Bearnaise

Steakhouse Barbeque Sauce

Shallot-Red Wine Bordelaise

Armagnac and Green Peppercorn

Chimichurri

Main Course

Lamb (New Zealand Double Cut Lamb Chope) 10 ounces

double Cut "Kurobuta" berkshire Port Chop (14 oz.)

Center Cut "Milk-Fed" Veal Rub Chop (16 ounces)

Oven Roasted Organic Herb Chicken

Main Course Salad -- Salad Monte Cristo -- Lobster, asparagus, potatoes, hard boiled eggs, heart of Boston lettuce, mustard-mayonnaise

Side Dishes

Twice baked potato -- sweet butter, sour cream, crumbled bacon, scallions

Sauteed Potatoes Lyonnaise

Cheddar Yukon Gold Mash

Truffle Fries

Vegetable Rice

Creamed Spinach

Baked Sweet corn Caserole

String Beans with onions, sun-dried tomatoes and bacon

Sauteed Wild Mushrooms

Asparagus with Truffle Butter

Steamed Broccoli with Lemon Aioli

Crispy Onion Rings

NOTE: Smaller portions available

Dessert

Apple Crisp (warm with vanilla ice cream)

Key Lime Pie

Chicago Style Cheesecake with raspberry sauce

Golden Cake -- 14 layer Vairhona chocolate cake, roasted pistachio sauce

Banana Cream Pie

Fresh Seasonal Berries

House-Made Ice Creams or Sorbets with toppings of your choice.

Pastel De Tres Leches -- Three Milk cake with fresh fruit

NOTE: Need to research wine. More in next post

Featured Wines:

Endeavour Vineyards "Jackaroo", Chardonnay, South Eastern Australia 2008

Chaeau Tanunda, Grand Barossa Valley Shiraz, South Australia, 2008 (really enjoyed this)

Recommended Reserve Wines

Leeuwin Estates "Prelude" Chardonnay, Margaret River, Australia 2007 - $34

Colonial Estate "Exile" Shiraz, Barossa Valley, Australia 2005 -- $175

Always Available:

Rib Eye of Certified Black Angus Beef (aged a minimum of 21 days)

Norwegian Salmon Fillet -- prepared to order: plain, grilled, poached, broiled or pan-fried

Grain-Fed Boneless Chicken Breast -- simply grilled with steamed spring vegetables

Freshly Cooked Pasta of the Day: Choice of tomato, pesto or Bolognese sauce

Side orders: Steamed Vegetables, String Beans, Mashed Potatoes, Baked Potato

Appetizers -- April 24th

Peloponese Calamari Salad

Marinated Artichoke

Papaya, Mango and Kiwi with red berry Coulis

Burgundy Escargots

Risotto al Radicchio e Fromaggini di Capra (wonderful -- to die for)

Soupes (their spelling)

Cajun Seafood Gumb o

Chicken Consomme Bellini

Salads

Assorted Greens

Cauliflower Florets and White Bean Salad

Caesar Salad

Intermezzo

Limoncello Sorbet

Main Cources (in addition to every day offerings)

Tagliagtelle Verde with Marinated Salmon (tossed in tomato vodka sauced and chilli flakes

Vegetarian Bean Chili (with cumin and cilantro in baked potato)

Pan-sear fresh Branzino with Chorizo sausage, olives and pesto mashed potatoes (what in the world in "branzino"?)

Quail Pastilla - North African Crispy Pie with Quail Meat, Almons, Eggs, Cinnamon and herbs

Braised Veal Shank "Osso Buco" with Gremolata, gratinated semolina gnocchi and vegetable bouquetiere

Black Angus Beef Sirloin Steak with Roquefort Sauce and Macaroni Gratin

A Taste from Prime 7 and Signatures Restaurant

New Zealand Lamb Chope (6 oz.), Lyonnaise potatoes, string beans, bacon, chimichurri

Scallops with Smoked Bacon (with savoy Cabbagae, mashed potatoes and brouilly cream.

Menu Degustation

Our Executive Chef invites you to sample a perfectly portioned gourmet tasting menu:

Marinated Artichokes

Cajun Seafood Gumto

Burgundy escargots

Limoncello Sorbet

Braised Veal Shank "Osso Buco"

White Snow (dessert -- see below)

Vegetarian Suggestions

Marinated Artichoke

Papaya, Mango and Kiwi

Assorted Green Leaves

Tagliatelle Verde (tossed in tomato vodka sauce and chili flakes)

Vegeetarian Bean Chili

Canyon Ranch Spa

Peloponese Calamari Salad (130 calories)

Chicken Consomme Bellini (80 calories)

braised Veal Shank "Osso Buco " (490 calories)

Sorry -- missing dessert

Jackie,

Don't forget to mention if they still have fresh "alternate veggies" in CR. The steamed brocolli or creamed spinach we had before were real highlights for me.

Greg

Greg, you always are a bright spot on the Regent board. Not sure what "alternate veggies" you are referring to. I'm typing (if you can call it that) from the menus given to me. Still have a lot to add. Think I must have eaten the dessert menu. I know that I had it somewhere.

Need to go off topic for a quickie moment. Greg. . . . . . Cappadocia rivals Petra. . . . just had to say that:D Also, will be doing another thread. Really trying to keep on topic for newbies. See you in 15 months (approximately). As long as I'm not on topic. . . . why aren't you going to the barbeque in October?

Sorry -- Greg is one of my favorite posters on Cruisecritic. We sailed with him and his family in December, 2011 and will do so again in September, 2013.

One more thing before I shut this down for the night. I have repeatedly said that the Captain's Reception is the 2nd night. On this cruise, it will be the third night (for many reasons). We have an 8 hour excursion tomorrow followed by two self-imposed sea days. Will write when I can. The positive input I'm receiving on this thread makes it all worth it.

Branzino is some type of fish. Only reason I know this is because last time we were on Regent, it was on the menu and I asked. I think it is a large fish, maybe like a sea bass, from the description I was given. I didn't eat it, so no idea if it is good or not.

"Alternate veggies" :o my expression for the ability to order sides of

creamed spinach:D

steamed brocolli:)

steamed spinach :D

any night regardless of the menu. Think there were other "side" options available also; but I'm a spinach fan. Think I had Creamed or steamed spinach 7 or 8 times on our last 21 day cruise.:rolleyes:

Greg

I take it the creamed spinach is good, Greg? I remember having it in Prime 7 once, but haven't ever ordered it in CR, so will remember that!

Wendy,

I've been called many things in my life but I don't recall ever being called a connoisseur:rolleyes:. To me, creamed spinach (made with fresh spinach) is sort of like a cruise...the worst I ever had was wonderful:p. While you may or may not like the particulars of the recipe, both the steamed spinach and creamed spinach appeared to be made with fresh spinach. I do hope they are still serving these alternate sides in the CR as thought they were a real treat.

Greg

Jackie;

All I can say is, OMG!! Note to self: Double the treadmill time and reduce Scotch intake by 50%, NOW !:D I only have 12 months until our cruise.

Please keep up the posts

So much delicious food !

I am glad to see that Signatures is retaining its French style but I can see that I will need to step up my exercise routine before boarding the Voyager on June 3.

Thank you so much for your mouth-watering posts Travelcat.

Just a quickie post before all day tour. Breakfast in La Veranda before an excursion is great. It is a buffet with an egg station (remember to pay attention to your table number -- they will deliver your order to the table). Toast is also prepared at that station -- it only takes a minute so I just wait.

In response to an earlier question, I believe the menus are just about the same on the Mariner and Voyager with the exception of some local speciality dishes.

"Problem?" to watch out for. After eating too much food, you may pass the Coffee Connection on your way to the elevator. There is a display of cookies there (this is the problem). Some cookies are sugar free . . . but, the chocolate chip cookies are wonderful. Just a warning:-)

The Coffee Connection has wonderful coffee drinks with or without alcohol. Might have to do that menu as well.

More after dinner -- many hours from now. I've decided to post a review on this cruise on the CC Review board. There I'll talk about service, excursion quality, etc. IMO, it is more relevant to past cruisers than to newbies as I tend to make comparisons to last cruises.

If there is anyone reading this thread from the last couple of crusies in this area (both the Mariner and Voyager), the seas are now as smooth as glass. . . . not a ripple -- no waves at all. You just can never tell how the seas will be from one cruise to the next.

Off for a day of wine drinking on our Food and Wine Trails -- Best of Santorini excursion.

OMG TC - Thank you for your posts. I have been on Regent a few times and I never once thought to eat lunch in Compass Rose. I was always up around the pool eating and drinking (on sea days) and the offerings there were magnificent. I am just going to have to book another cruise to try all the things I missed out on. Another thing we never tried was the room service - next time for sure!

Hi TravelCat2 and fellow Voyager passengers,

I'm posting this here because I'm not sure where to post it and hoping you can help. I was on the Barcelona to Dubai trip on the Voyager with you last year. It was my first cruise and I'm totally addicted!!

I'm hoping someone has a copy of the map of the Barcelona to Dubai trip they can send me. Unfortunately Regent doesn't appear to be offering that particular cruise anymore so they've taken down the map. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

thanks for confirming we can expect a similar menu on mariner at the end of may...I do hope that the smooth seas and sunshine last as well. we never thought to go to compass rose on our past mariner cruises at lunchtime,

but based on your menu posts we should change our habits! congratulations on sparking a topic of such interest to all of us Amanda

TC2 - as newbie sailing the Voyager in 18 days your posts have been wonderful reading. I need to take a pound a day off before sailing based on what I am seeing. I really really appreicate the time you are taking to share all of this great info with us. Here's to a wonderful rest of the cruise for you.:D

Hi TravelCat2 and fellow Voyager passengers,

I'm posting this here because I'm not sure where to post it and hoping you can help. I was on the Barcelona to Dubai trip on the Voyager with you last year. It was my first cruise and I'm totally addicted!!

I'm hoping someone has a copy of the map of the Barcelona to Dubai trip they can send me. Unfortunately Regent doesn't appear to be offering that particular cruise anymore so they've taken down the map. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

We were on the same cruise. Suggest giving Regent a call to ask if you can get a copy of the map. hope you are successful.

I will definitely post the Room Service menu as well as the Butler Menu as soon as I can. In the meantime, here is today's menu in Compass Rose (Wednesday, April 25th)

Lunch (in addition to the items posted before that are available every day)

Appetizers

Marinated Prawns, Baby Shrimp and Octopus with sauteed vegetable jardiniere

Manchego Cheese and Chorizo Quesadillas with Salsa Cruda

Panache of Crunchy Mixed Greens with your choice of dressing

Seasonal fruit cup

Soups

Tomato-bell pepper soup with tortilla vermicelli

Beef and barley soup

Sandwiches of the Day

Hot Pressed Cuban sandwich -- Ham, Roasted Port and Swiss Cheese on crusty Cuban bread

Grilled Chicken Brease, tomato and avacado on French baguette, French Fries and Coleslaw

Texas Chili Beef Burger: Sesame bun,l guacamole, refried beans with melted cheese

Salad Entrees

Caesar salad with grilled blackened chicken breast or shrimp

Indonesian-Gado-Gado salad: tofu, shrimp, potato and hard boiled egg salad, peanut butter dressing

Seared Tuna Loin with Hearts of Palm, chili dressing and tarragon vinagarette

Entrees

Conchiglie pollo e pisseli -- shell pasta with chicken, peas and tomatoes

Oven Baked Fresh Cod Filet with garlic - parsley crust in tomato sauce

Grilled Black Angus Beef Kebab - presented on spiced eggplant and sauteed Parisian potatoes

Marinated Roast Pork Leg with BBQ Corn Sauced, mashed potatoes, fried onion rings

Vegetarian Selections

Manchego Cheese Quesadillas with Salsa Cruda

Tomato-Bell pepper Soup with Tortille Vermicelli

Indonesian Gado-Gado Vegetarian Salad -- Tofu, potato, green beans, tomatoes, peanut butter dressing

Canyon Ranch Spa

Tomato-Bell pepper soup with tortilla vermicelli (90 calories)

Grilled Chicken Breast -- tomato and avacado on whole wheat baguette and Canyon Ranch coleslaw (500 calories)

Fresh fruit cup (70 calories)

Desserts

Fresh Apple Tart with vanilla sauce

Pina Colada Cheesecake, chocolate sauce and toasted coconut

Yogurt Fruit Terrikne with Apricot Coulis

Banana Split - Vanilla, Strawberry and Chocolate ice cream, banana, whipped cream, chocolate sauce and sliced almonds.

Today's Ice Cream: Spumoni - Macadamia Nut

Sugar-free - Vanilla

Strawberry Frozen yogurt - Kir Royal Sorbet

Compass Rose Dinner Menu (Captain's Reception) - in addition to everyday items:

Featured wines: Dry Creek Vineyards, Fume Blanc, Sonoma County, California, 2010

Cline Cellars "Cashmere", Sonoma County, California 2009 (note: we do not care for this wine and asked for the wine we had last night . . . no problem)

Recommended Reserve Wines

Beringer Estate Private Reserve Chardonnay, Napa Valley, CA 2009 $48

Chiarello "Eileen Single Vineyard" Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley, CA 2007 $89

Appetizers

Sturgeon Caviar with Buckwheat Blinis and Traditional Garnish

Chicken Breast and Hudson Valley Foie Gras Balloine, pistachio-celeriac sauce

Ambrosia fruit cup - marinated apricot, peach and pear with Malibu (know that doesn't make sense but that's what it says)

Cheese souffle with leek cream sauce

Crespella alla Toscana - Italian Pancakes Stuffed with Buffalo Mozzarella and Smoken Ham

Soups

Maui Red Onion Soup

Clear Capon Broth

Salads

Baby greens with red radish, celeriac and mustard seed dressing

Vine Ripe Tomatoes with shallots and red wine vinaigrette

Caesar Salad

Intermezzo

Kir Royal Sorbet

Main Courses

Rigatoni alle Melanzane -- pasta tubes with eggplant and fresh tomato-basil sauce

Tower of green and white asparagus with potato waffle, spinach and creamy truffle sauce

Fresh Snapper Fillet Dusted with Saffron and star anise, vegetable couscous and carmelized onions

Steamed Maine Lobster Tail (server suggested that you ask for extra portion) with lobster essence and Risotto Primavera

Duckling Beijing Style - plum sauce, fried rice and steamed bok choy

Roast Prime Rib of Black Angus beef - Bordelaise sauce and twice baked stuffed potato.

A Taste from Prime 7 and Signatures

Dover Sole, string beans with bacon, potatoes lyonnaise capers and lemon butter

Herb crusted roast rack of lamb

Menu Degustation (Our Executive Chef invites you to sample a perfectly portioned gourmet tasting menu)

Sturgeon Caviar

Clear Capon Broth Soup

Cheese Souffle

Kir Royal Sorbet

Roast Prime Rib of Black Angus Beef

Iced Cappuccino Parfait in Chocolate Cup with Chantilly Cream

Vegeetarian Selections

Cheese Souffle

Ambrosia Fruit Cup

Assorted Green Leaves

Rigatoni alla Melanzane

Tower of Green and White Asparagus

Canyon Ranch Spa Selection

Capon Broth (55 calories)

Radicchio and Spinach Salad (35 calories)

steamed Maine Lobster Tail with Pineapple Broth and Vegetable Couscous (375 calories)

Dessert

Cheeses: Munster, Gruyere, Goat Cheese Natural, Roquefort, Brie with crackers or bread and port wine if desired

9 minute "Vairhona" chocolate cake w/raspberries and vanilla iced cream

Iced Cappuccino Parfait

Seasonal Fresh Fruit

Strawberry Sable (shortbread with passion fruit cream and fresh strawberries)

Classic Lemon Bar (Canyon Ranch Spa selection - 120 calories)

Apple Crumble Pie

Various ice creams, strawberry frozen yoghurt and Kir Royal Sorbet.

...After eating too much food, you may pass the Coffee Connection on your way to the elevator. There is a display of cookies there (this is the problem)....

I sure hope those cookies aren't super duper good, because I have somehow, intentionally, managed to not eat one, every time I've cruised Regent. (I don't have much of a sweet-tooth. But I DO have photographs of that cookie box!)

[*sigh*; knowing Regent, I'm sure they're magnificent, and I'll try to save room for one of them next time....]

Archived