LIVE - Food/Wine from the Voyager 4/23

Travelcat2

I sure hope those cookies aren't super duper good, because I have somehow, intentionally, managed to not eat one, every time I've cruised Regent. (I don't have much of a sweet-tooth. But I DO have photographs of that cookie box!)

[*sigh*; knowing Regent, I'm sure they're magnificent, and I'll try to save room for one of them next time....]

Oh the cookies are good, believe me. All of them! It's so easy to just eat one on the way past.

Hi TC2, Since Ron and I had canceled this cruise last minute we are really enjoying your reviews. How was the CC meeting? I would love to hear about Cappadocia. Thanks for your posts. Sue

The Meet and Greet ended up being scheduled the same time as the Block Party (11:00 a.m. -- very unusual time for a Block Party). Two couples showed up and we adopted several people who knew us from the incredible Cappadocia trip that I'll cover in the review of this cruise -- sometime around May 3rd. Doing a pre-cruise trip really bonds you with people that you will be seeing throughout the voyage. We had 21 guests on our Cappadocia trip and have already had a reunion get together.

Starting new post below in case I lose the connection.

We are staying on the ship today and I'm as happy as a clam (assuming clams are happy). The ship is in Athens and the incredible weather and calm seas continue. I do want to mention that the storms around Santorini the past two weeks (gale force winds, etc.) destroyed much of the grape crop (sad). Not sure if I mentioned this yesterday. If I did, I apologize.

Here is the menu from the Coffee Connection:

ESPRESSO RISTRETTO

This is an espresso at heart but the water flow is turned off before a full espresso has flowed. This results in a very short, intense espresso. An acquired taste.

ESPRESSO MACCHIATO

An espresso with a dollop of milk foam on top

AMERICANO

Basicallh a single espresso topped up with hot water. However, you should still see the crema indicating that the espresso was correctly made.

CAFE LATTE

A single espresso topped up with steamed milk and a small amoumnt of milk foam to seal the drink.

CAPPUCCINO

A long espresso (2/3 of a cappuccino cup) made with hot milk (1/3) and milk foam (1/3).. We train our baristas to create a dome of foam. Steaming milk is quite an art. You will still see the 'crema" around the rim of the cup.

MOCCHA

This is identical to the cafe latte' but we add two heaped teaspoons of chocolate syrup to the coffee before adding milk to the blend.

COFFEE VANILLA

Made with a hearty shot of espresso combined with a dash of vanilla extract and spiced with black tea.

LIQUEUR COFFEES

IRISH COFFEE

The first liqueur coffee was an Irish one. We prepare the irish coffee the same way as its originator Joe Sheridan: coffee mixed with brown sugar and fine whiskey, topped with fresh cream and served in an Irish coffee glass.

COFFEE NELSON

This is a delicious mix of Baileys, Frangelico and coffee topped with fresh cream and sprinkled with hazelnuts.

FRENCH COFFEE

French coffee is a combination of Cognac and Grand Marnier mixed with a good espresso and topped with French cream.

RUSSIAN HOT CHOCOLATE (my note: this is amazing!)

For our Russian chocolate we use delicious hot chocolate mixed with vodka and topped with fresh cream.

COLD COFFEE DRINKS (The menu has an explanation about not using any pre-mixes or powders.........)

ICED LATTE

We use a single shot of espresso, ice cubes and milk. That's it! The secret is the espresso and a really good blender. 20 seconds of blending and you have a superb, refreshing coffee drink.

ICED MOCCHA

This is identical to the iced latte but we add two heaped taspoons of chocolate powder (hmmmm, they just said that they didn't use powder) to the coffee before adding milk and ice for an equally refrushing coffee drink.

FRAPPE LATTE

Our famous and most popular iced coffee drink. Espresso, milk, crushed ice and our special Frappe blend makes this a refreshing, creamy and smooth drink. Try it and find out why it has such a loyal following.

VIENNESE COFFEE

This traditional mixture of coffee, cream and chocolatge is rich and decadent...perfect for a lazy vacation morning or an afternoon treat. Not for dieters, this special drink is a wonderful way to relax and indulge y ourself.

ASSORTMENT OF TWININGS FINEST TEAS

English Breakfast Tea

Darjeeling

Earl Grey

Decaffeinated Earl Grey

Irish Breakfast

Ceylon Orange Pekoe

Herbal Peppermint

Jasmine Green Tea

ROOM SERVICE - BREAKFAST

Note: There is space next to each item to indicate how many portions you wish. If you order cream cheese, I suggest ordering two as they are small.

CHILLED BEVERAGES

Orange

Tomato

Prune

Cranberry

V-8

Apple

Grapefruit

Carrot

Milk

Skim Milk

FRESH FRUIT

Honeydew

Cantaloupe

Banana

Kiwi

Pineapple

Orange

Grapefruit

Prunes

Mixed Fruit

YOGURTS

Plain

Assorted fruits

COLD CEREALS

Corn Flakes

Raisin Bran

Special K

All Bran

Shredded Wheat

Frosted Flakes

Swiss Muesli

HOT CERERALS

Oatmeal

Cream of Wheat

EGGS TO ORDER

Scrambled

Fried

Boiled ____ (minutes)

There is a place for special instructions

OMELETS

Plain

Cheese

Ham

Smoked Salmon

Fine Herbs

Western

FROM THE GRIDDLE

Bacon

Link Sausage

Ham

Minute Steak

Canadian Bacon

Hashed Browns

SWEET TREATS

Pancakes (plain, buckwheat, blueberry, banana)

Waffle

French Toast

Above served with maple syrup

SELECTION OF PASTRIES AND MUFFINS

Assorted Danish

Croissant

Corn Muffin

Blueberry Muffin

BREADS

French Bread

Roll

Bagel

English Muffin

TOAST

Whole Wheat Toast

White Toast

Rye Toast

PRESERVES AND SPREADS

Strawberry, orange, apricot, honey, butter, margarine, cream cheese

SALMON

Smoked salmon served with cream cheese, sliced onions and tomatoes, capers and toasted bagel.

COLD CUTS

Salami

Cooked Ham

Smoked Ham

NOTE: You can write in "BABY LAMB CHOPS" -- they are wonderful.

HOT BEVERAGES

Coffee

Decaffeinated Coffee

Black Tea

Herbal Tea

Hot Milk

Hot Chocolate

Cream, Half and Half, Milk 2%, lemon.

SERVICE TIJME REQUESTED

6:30 - 7:00

7:00 - 7:30

7:30 - 8:00

8:00 - 8:30

8:30 - 9:00

9:00 - 9:30

9:30 - 10:00

ROOM SERVICE (24 hours/day)

APPETIZERS

Smoked Salmon Rose with onions, capers and cream cheese

Chilled Jumbo Shrimp with American Cocktail Sauce

Aged Prosciutto Di Parma with seasonal melons and grissini bread sticks.

Salad of Mesclun Greens with balsalmic vinaigrette

Classic Caesar Salad

Chef's salad with roast beef, ham, turkey, cheese, lettuce, baby shrimp and Thousand Island dressing.

SOUPS

Double chicken consomme with matzo dumpling

Vegetarian Tomato Puree Soup with Basil

SANDWICHES

Tuna salad with celery and mayonnaise

Roast Beef

Boiled ham and Swiss cheese

Vegetarian

Roast Turkey Club with bacon, lettuce and tomatoes.

All served on your choice of bread: whole-wheat, light rye or white bread.

HOT ENTREES

Salmon Fillet - pan fried or grilled with vegetables in season

Medallions of Beef Tenderloin with green peppercorn sauce and fried potatoes.

Steak sandwich -- grilled minute steak with sauteeed onions on French baguette.

Grilled Breast of Chicken accompanied by vegetables in season.

Freshly cooked spaghetti with tomato sauce, Bolognese, pesto, garlic-flavored olive oil or plain.

HOT SNACKS

Beef hot dog w/tomatoes, relish and onions accompanied by coleslaw and fried potatoes.

Traditional hamburger or Cheeseburger with tomatoes, lettuce and pickles accompanied by coleslaw and fried potatoes.

Pizza Margherita (preparation time 30 minutes) with tomato and mozza cheese. choice of toppings: mushroom, ham, prosciutto and pepperoni.

DESSERTS

Chocolate Mousse with fruit puree

Creme Brulee

Bourbon Pecan Pie with vanilla ice cream caramel sauce

Frozen yogurt of the day

Vanilla or Chocolate Ice cream -- choice of chocolate, strawberry or caramel sauce.

Fresh Cliced Fruits in Season

Plate of international cheeses with grapes.

NOTE: During dinner service in Compass Rose, you can order off of the menu and have it delivered to your suite. Not certain if this is available from the other dining venues.

Change of pace before I do the La Veranda menu. Just a sampling of what is going on.

Evening entertainment since boarding:

April 23 - day of embarkation. 9:00 p.m. "Popcorn Movie" Sherlock Holmes II "A Game of Shadows" with Robert Downey Jr., Jude Law, Jared Harris; Drame; 129 minutes. This was shown in the Constellation Theater.

9:30 - 11:30 - Observation Lounge -- Resident Pianist Alexey plays relaxing after dinner music.

10:30 - 11:30 p.m. in the Voyager Lounge (warning - smoking in part of this lounge), Dancing and Nightcap. Join Kasia and Boogie for dancing and a drink.

Following this (in the Voyager lounge) the jukebox continues with dance music..

April 25th

9:30 - 10:15 in the Constellation Theater. Regent proudly Presents "Broadway Tonight" with the Jean Ann Ryan Singers and Dancers. The lights shine bright on the Great White Way in this celebration of Broadway Hits.

9:30 - 10:15 p.m. - Name that Tune in the Observation Lounge

Also, dancing in both the Voyager and Horizon Lounge.

April 26th

9:30 p.m. Cabaret Showtime with Regent Vocalist Andy Lebon: Take Me Back to Manhattan. Drown out the screeching sirens and honking horns with Regent Singer Andy, as he takes you on a musical journey to the "City That Never Sleeps". Some of history's most celebrated music has come from the heart of New York City. Andy and the Regent Signature Orchestra pave the way to a memorable journey "Back to Manhattan" (Constellation Theater)

10:30 p.m. - Beatles Dance Party - Turn back the clock to this golden age with a chance to take to the dance floor or sit back with friends and fellow guests, tap your toes and relax wsith a treat from the bar as the Jean Ann Ryan Singers and dancers host this farewell special. Twist and Shout into the night as the Regent Signature Orcesdtra accompany with the many favorites made famous by the "Fab Four" who changed the face of music forever (Horizon Lounge)

Last menu for this session. No -- not the liquor menu -- have to do that another time. For newbies sailing before the La Veranda converts to Seti Mari in La Veranda in July (in the evening only), this is the current menu (may or may not change depending upon destination).

Vini/Wine

White wine - Gavi Principessa di Gavia D.O.C.G., Piedmont, Italy 2010

Red Wine - Agricola Allegrini, Valolicealla Classico Superiore D.O.C., Veneto, Italyl 2008

ANTIPASTI

Delicious selection of hot and cold appetizers from the buffet. Note: This antipasti buffet is a meal in itself -- incredible meats, cheeses and much, much, more. This will continue when the new restaurant is debuted in July.

Note for Navigator passengers. Due to current kitchen limitations in La Veranda, dinner is buffet only (until after drydock in late May). The buffet items are more than likely similiar to the menu I'm posting below.

Mariner and Voyager menu:

ZUPPE/SOUPS

Chicken Consomme garnished with semolina diamonds

Tuscany Bean Soup

PASTA

Spinach tagliatelle with marinated salmon in tomato vodka sauce with chili flakes

Gnocchi Al Bolognese

Risotto with assorted Seafood

SECONDI/MAIN COURSES

Grilled fresh Branzino with pesto mashed potatoes and anchovy-tomato vinaigrette

Sauteed scallops with spinach, raisins and creamy saffron sauce

Chicken breast stuffed with pancetta, provolone cheese, served with creamy mscarpone polenta

Grilled tournedos of beef, wild rocket salad, balsamic glaze, tomatoes and parnesan shavings

Grilled lamb chops mariated in garlic and fresh rosemary

Veal scaloppini in lemon sauce with freshh linguine pasta and pesto

Lasagne di Vegetali. Baked bell peppers, eggplant, zucchini and pasta sheets layered together and served with a rich tomato sauce.

DOLCI/DESSERT (buffet)

Honey cake with sweet ricotta cheese

Tuscan apple pie

Tiramizu (sponge ladyfingers with espresso, amaretto liquer and mascarpone cheese.

Seasonal fruit salad

Assortment of cheeses.

Before heading out to enjoy life on the ship, I want to remind you that you can order small portions of entrees or large portions of appetizers. We have not dined in La Veranda in the evening yet but when we do, I will order two small appetizers and no main course. I know in advance that I'll eat way too much food from the Antipasti bar and won't have room for much beyond that.

Feel free to ask questions. If it is something I can find out onboard, I'll be happy to do so.

Stupid question (but it is me, so what would expect) I assume that fried potatoes are what we English know as chips / french fries, and if I asked for chips would I get what we know as crisps? Also if I asked for crisps what would I get. Sorry if these are basic questions but having never been to America we are trying to understand the differences of our common language, oh alright then trying not to much of an idiot.

Regards

Marion and Kerry

Stupid question (but it is me, so what would expect) I assume that fried potatoes are what we English know as chips / french fries, and if I asked for chips would I get what we know as crisps? Also if I asked for crisps what would I get. Sorry if these are basic questions but having never been to America we are trying to understand the differences of our common language, oh alright then trying not to much of an idiot.

Regards

Marion and Kerry

I think if you asked for crisps, you'd either be asked what you mean, or be given chips, depending on the background of the server.

Fried potatoes can mean different things, not just "french fries". Could be pan fried. "Chips" (we call them that here in Canada still), might be called "fritte" on board, or "french fried potatoes".

Potato chips onboard are the American potato chip--the kind that come in a bag that Brits call crisps.

French fries onboard are French fried potatoes--deep fried--the kind that Brits call chips.

Fried potatoes are a total different thing--pan fried, maybe with some onion added.

Wendythewandere and RachelG, thanks for the explanation, I can see me looking surprised on numerous occasions when what I thought I ordered is totally different to what is served up, should make for a great holiday, and a lot of fun.

Regards

Marion and Kerry

This thread is dedicated to newbies. The reason behind my thousands of posts on CruiseCritic is not to argue with regulars. . . but to impart as much information as possible to those new to Regent. When I was new to Regent, I appreciated any and all input. . . . even when there were differences of opinion.

Hello Travelcat2,

Thank you for taking the time to share this information. We are newbies who are thoroughly enjoying your posts and looking forward to many more.

Be well and enjoy the rest of your trip.

Regards

Marion and Kerry

We found it safe to assume that the crew would expect you to mean the US version rather than the English as US pax substantially outnumber others.;) But no problem to explain - they're only too happy to help!

Travelcat2, Thanks again for posting the menus, it is so helpful.

I almost hate to ask this, in case the answer is "yes," but here goes...does Regent provide calorie/nutrition information on the foods served?

IIRC in Compass Rose there is always a section of the dinner menu called "spa cuisine" or something like that -- it's really a recategorization of a la carte items appearing elsewhere on the menu -- that features "lighter" dishes with calorie counts. So you can make up an entire multi-course meal confident you are not exceeding whatever limits you have in mind.

I don't believe there are calorie or nutrition explanations elsewhere, or for other menu selections -- and a good thing it is!

I almost hate to ask this, in case the answer is "yes," but here goes...does Regent provide calorie/nutrition information on the foods served?

kvisf is correct. Only spa menu items have calorie/nutrition information. I have only been posting calories but the menu also has fat and fiber grams. Unless a person has medical issues with certain foods, it is best to simply enjoy the cuisine and take the excess weight off later. There is an opportunity to try items that you would not eat in your everyday life.

Not posting Compass Rose's menu until tomorrow. Our Butler promised to deliver the bar menu (long). There is also a cigarette and cigar menu. . . . sorry, my conscience will not allow me to post that one.

Life on board today was peaceful and allowed us to finally relax. Going into a port intensive cruise after long flights can be difficult. We only take longer excursions occasionally (twice on this leg). Relaxation is part of the cruise experience as well.

I post this every time we cruise. . . . the service is incredible. The staff is wonderful. And, for anyone who thinks that the staff is looking for tips. . . it simply is not true. They leave their families for months at a time. They appreciate kindness, passengers interested in their lives and. . . . sometimes a hug and a thank you. Some passengers treat the staff like servants and think all is made better by tipping. Not true. Last night we dined with the Staff Captain (second in command of the ship). She was so impressed that I wrote down the name of our server so that we could compliment him on the cruise review. She is a lovely person with a background in safety (amongst other things). Regent blows me away with their amazing staff. Hope they will impress you as well.

The Meet and Greet ended up being scheduled the same time as the Block Party (11:00 a.m. -- very unusual time for a Block Party). Two couples showed up and we adopted several people who knew us from the incredible Cappadocia trip that I'll cover in the review of this cruise -- sometime around May 3rd. Doing a pre-cruise trip really bonds you with people that you will be seeing throughout the voyage. We had 21 guests on our Cappadocia trip and have already had a reunion get together.

Thanks for the update. I look forward to your Cappadocia trip review. We will plan that on our 10/7/13 cruise. Was that part of Regent's excursion or private? I am really enjoying your posts.

Jackie, Your comments about the crew appreciating kindness ring so true. DW always makes a point of getting to know about their families and history. This is one of the reasons we always try to eat at the same table for the length of the cruise. We also try to make sure we converse extensively with our cabin attendant and butler.

Chances are you won't gain a pound IF you walk 100 or so laps on walking/jogging track each day!

( Unfortunately, you'll then be too tired to enjoy the cruise and excursions!)

PS - There is a tailor on board to let your clothes out.

For newbies sailing before the La Veranda converts to Seti Mari in La Veranda in July (in the evening only), this is the current menu (may or may not change depending upon destination).

Isn't Setti Mari coming in June? Or, has the date slipped?

Would be a shame if true as we board on 6/3!

Isn't Setti Mari coming in June? Or, has the date slipped?

Would be a shame if true as we board on 6/3!

I read somewhere that it has slipped to later in the month, which is a shame. However I am expecting a move towards what will be Sette Mari later. The web site still says June however.

Slightly O/T so please forgive me, but we have received an invitation for a newbies lunch on the Voyager, when she visits Southampton on June 3rd. It costs £35 including wine, redeemable against a future cruise. As we have just booked the Voyager, we may go for a ore-cruise experience.

Slightly O/T so please forgive me, but we have received an invitation for a newbies lunch on the Voyager, when she visits Southampton on June 3rd. It costs £35 including wine, redeemable against a future cruise. As we have just booked the Voyager, we may go for a ore-cruise experience.

Sounds good. As we will be boarding for our "Celtic Charms" cruise, I shall make my way to the dining room to say hello. Look forward to meeting you.

Will try to answer question first: Seti Mari will debut on the Navigator in June. I don't have exact dates for the Mariner and Voyager but the date(s) are definitely in July. IMO, La Veranda is excellent in the evening. It may be different in July but has great Italian food now.

We are in Olympia, Greece today -- what a lovely city. Did not take tours but walked around the town. Temperature is 80F (24C). There was a wonderful Greek lunch buffet on the Pool Deck today from 11:30 - 1:00 p.m.

The Seven Seas Mariner is currently in Olbia, Italy -- the Seven Seas Navigator is in Cabo san Lucas, Mexico.

Port Specials in Canyon Ranch Spa:

Abhyanga Massagae (50 minutes) $115

Reflexology (50 min.) - $99

Sole Rejuvenation (50 min.) - $99

Ocean Scrub (50 minutes) - $99

Cleanse and polish back treatment - $99

Ageless Oxygen Boost - $179

IMPORTANT: Canyon Ranch Spa includes tip!!!

This evening at 9:30 p.m. the show will be: The Jean Ann Ryan Singers and Dancers in 'Just Swing'. Just Swing is a new twist on the Big Band Sound. This comtemporary song and dance concert is accompanied by the Regent Signature Orchestra. Measure for measure it's an exciting production of song and dance featuring the music of the 1940's. From Stompin' At the Savoy to Dancin' Man and I'll Be Seeing You to Zoot Suit Riot, this evening gets y our feet tapping to the high-energy performance with cutting edge choreography while creating fresh memories to classic favorites.

Compass Rose lunch and dinner menu from yesterday follows in next post.

Archived