The other side of the Freedom/tobacco story

Ryano - quit posting here and go write your review! :D :D

I have to admit this reading is quite something. We have an isolated random incident that never would have happened had the "victims" not attempted to bring on a "suspicious" substance in a deceptive manner. Yet we have high drama and emotion over something that would never impact most of us.

fyi - spice is apparently what Demi Moore was smoking during that charming 911 episode. That and the whip-its supposedly. So it's not exactly a benign substance. Not that anyone has hinted that this stuff was spice. ;)

I believe the ticket contract, paragraph 8e, covers this situation. Specifically the part that gives the cruise line and/or the captain sole discretion to deny boarding if a passenger is "believed to present a possible danger [or] security risk". It doesn't even say that that discretion has to be reasonable. (It does, however, have to be legal, since you can't contract to something illegal. So the captain can't deny boarding to someone based solely on their race or religion.) Whether that's fair or not, we can argue about. But that's what the contract says.

8g says that the cruise line doesn't owe refunds to passengers who are not onboard for any reason when the ship leaves.

Don't jump all over me for pointing this out. People have asked what in the contract gave the captain the right to deny boarding to the couple, or what provision of the contract they violated, and I found it. If you don't think it's a fair provision, or you think that the captain's discretion wasn't reasonable in this case, fine. But please don't shoot the messenger.

Best wishes to Mrs. Evaluator!

Spot on, Beagle.

This has been an interesting thread. If for no other reason that it actually made me read the cruise contract I signed the other day. ;)

In fascist and communist states it is quite proper to police based on what people might be thinking.

In this case, the state didn't do anything.

However, as previosly stated, RCI is a private company.

If you board the ship with scuba tanks and other dive gear would it be fair to assume that you are intending to dive during one of the port stops? Or would that be making an assumption.

If this guy had taken that substance (I am saying substance because I have no idea what it is/was) on to ship openly and not tired to conceal it, there is a good chance none of this would have happened.

It sounds as though the way he concealed it is something known to customs/security, something that smugglers use. Of course it was going to raise red flags.

I said before it it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, you can be pretty damn sure it is a duck.

In this case, the state didn't do anything.

However, as previosly stated, RCI is a private company.

If you board the ship with scuba tanks and other dive gear would it be fair to assume that you are intending to dive during one of the port stops? Or would that be making an assumption.

If this guy had taken that substance (I am saying substance because I have no idea what it is/was) on to ship openly and not tired to conceal it, there is a good chance none of this would have happened.

It sounds as though the way he concealed it is something known to customs/security, something that smugglers use. Of course it was going to raise red flags.

I said before it it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, you can be pretty damn sure it is a duck.[/quote]

Or, in other words:

Occam's razor (also written as Ockham's razor, Latin lex parsimoniae) is the law of parsimony, economy or succinctness. It is a principle urging one to select among competing hypotheses that which makes the fewest assumptions and thereby offers the simplest explanation of the effect.

Seems to me that if someone tries to hide something it's because someone had something to hide.;)

I guess this is all moot since they deleted the original thread...

Does anyone remember the thread a few years back, where the gentleman(?) was thrown off the ship...for no reason in his opinion...it went on and on, then suddenly he came back and said he could not talk about it anymore...and everything was shut?

Then all the posts disappeared. I don't think we ever found out what happened...and those threads made this one look silly.

B52 - I do think I know which one you are talking about. He was and may still be a quite active poster on this site. As I recall, it was resolved to his satisfaction but he was not able to tell what happened. He had cruised Royal many times and I know was planning more so it must have all worked out. Is that the one you mean?

Does anyone really have anything NEW to add?

Nope. ;)

What another Coastie:rolleyes:

The Coastie OP they are refering to is very well respected even by the Navy:D

Thanks Doc. :)

I have no interest in debating with someone incapable of an adult conversation, so I wont even respond to that member. ;)

B52 - I do think I know which one you are talking about. He was and may still be a quite active poster on this site. As I recall, it was resolved to his satisfaction but he was not able to tell what happened. He had cruised Royal many times and I know was planning more so it must have all worked out. Is that the one you mean?

If it is the person I am thinking of, they have 4 upcoming RCL cruises and 2 CCL cruise coming up based on their signature. Also, the thread they started is not deleted, it is still there or at least was a minute ago.;)

yes, that's the one...it went on forever, had all the lawyers chiming in on that one.....a real mystery.

DAWG - OMG :D :D Good thing I wasn't eating or drinking. Priceless.

Paul - I too very much appreciate your expertise on this. Hope someday to meet you onboard, I always enjoy your posts and now have even more respect for you.

B52 - I think all he said once it was resolved was that he couldn't discuss it, he appreciated everyone's input and wished he could but he was completely satisfied with the resolution. He obviously didn't hold it against them or they against him since he has sailed with them many times since. I even remember his screen name ( or something really close to it). I know - I have a weird ability to remember the strangest things.

yes, that's the one...it went on forever, had all the lawyers chiming in on that one.....a real mystery.

Destroy every good conversation any time they get involved. Plus they tend to be a litte dramatic when an issue gets their goat. LOL

I have no interest in debating with someone incapable of an adult conversation, so I wont even respond to that member. ;)

I agree .. that is why I gave up.

I just wish people would at least get the facts straight. I don't care if their conclusion differs from mine .. that is their right. But at least base your opinion on the facts.

oh please! A business has the right in this country to do what they darned well please. I think what the government as been doing for the past 12 years to destroy our liberty is a bigger concern than a private corporation excercising its right to deny boarding to a passenger.

amen!!!!!

I agree .. that is why I gave up.

I just wish people would at least get the facts straight. I don't care if their conclusion differs from mine .. that is their right. But at least base your opinion on the facts.

You can only take so much of it, you know? It baffles me how one party can be a liar but the other party is a "omitter". One part is a liar for saying it was destroyed, yet the other party calling it tobacco (which hookah herb isn't) is so reliable. It's like freakn politics. Your side can say and do no wrong, yet the other side are lying, cheating crooks for doing the exact same thing. Maybe it's a good thing I don't get it. It means I am fair, I guess. :o

Originally Posted by temple1

oh please! A business has the right in this country to do what they darned well please. I think what the government as been doing for the past 12 years to destroy our liberty is a bigger concern than a private corporation excercising its right to deny boarding to a passenger.

I agree.

RCI should compile and publish a list of things that get you booted for "high risk". I'll start:

- Old fat guys who pack & wear a speedo

- Missing link type hairy guys who wear tank tops in the MDR

;)

Possibly, but the one I am thinking of was 5 years ago. I have one of those memories that remembers weird things too

ok, then I think we are thinking of the same one!

Glad I'm not alone then

Me too cause I went there all on my own and then when I read your posts, I started thinking Oh thank God I'm not the only perv. :D

Omitter vs liar. Perfect. Same/Same. Yeah, I felt sympathy at first even though I thought there was more to the story. I thought they were due a refund. But the fake bottomed hair spray can did me in as did the reveal that hookah herb is not tobacco. Having a friend who has worked in Drug Enforcement at the airport has also opened my eyes to the stuff people will try. It was a boneheaded action and actions have consequences.

Archived