Port Side & Starboard Side- Whats the Difference?

I'm a bit confused on this, the even room numbers are port side and the odd room numbers are starboard side. I use to think the port side was the side docked at port for loading and unloading materials. But the dictionary says when one looks forward on a ship, the starboard side is on the right side. So I assume that's how it works. Anyone else ever wonder about this?

I read years ago that the port side was indeed the side with the port or opening in it to load stores. And the starboard side was the side with the steering board which was like a rudder.

Now I just look for the carpet with the red edge in the passageway on the port side so I can find my cabin more quickly.

I've never deliberately booked port vs. starboard because even in a port where the ship is port side to the pier one time, that can change and the starboard side could be to the pier the next visit. In some ports, the side closest to the pier will have a wonderful view of cranes and container ships, the other side a sweeping view of the harbor and surrounding area. When the ship is at sea, there's water on both sides. If I cared that much about whether "my" balcony overlooked the pier, I'd have to research every single port and do an analysis of which side of the ship was more consistently next to the pier. Even then, it could be that side for half the ports and the other side for the rest of the ports. I book based on price and location on the ship in relation to what's IN the ship, not outside. There's always Promenade, Lido and whatever else public deck is on the ship to watch sailaways. Not something I'm going to think twice about or stress over. :)

I've never deliberately booked port vs. starboard because even in a port where the ship is port side to the pier one time, that can change and the starboard side could be to the pier the next visit. In some ports, the side closest to the pier will have a wonderful view of cranes and container ships, the other side a sweeping view of the harbor and surrounding area. When the ship is at sea, there's water on both sides. If I cared that much about whether "my" balcony overlooked the pier, I'd have to research every single port and do an analysis of which side of the ship was more consistently next to the pier. Even then, it could be that side for half the ports and the other side for the rest of the ports. I book based on price and location on the ship in relation to what's IN the ship, not outside. There's always Promenade, Lido and whatever else public deck is on the ship to watch sailaways. Not something I'm going to think twice about or stress over. :)

Your right Pam, the ship will dock on either side when at different ports. So when booking a cabin it doesn't matter, only price and location. But at least I finally know the difference between Starboard side and port side. Happy cruising!

We have been on a port side cabin on every cruise so far. We are in a port side cabin for our next cruise on the Ruby as well. Not sure why, Perhaps it's just luck. Certainly have had no complaints. We have had great views everywhere. :cool:

I've never deliberately booked port vs. starboard because even in a port where the ship is port side to the pier one time, that can change and the starboard side could be to the pier the next visit. In some ports, the side closest to the pier will have a wonderful view of cranes and container ships, the other side a sweeping view of the harbor and surrounding area. When the ship is at sea, there's water on both sides. If I cared that much about whether "my" balcony overlooked the pier, I'd have to research every single port and do an analysis of which side of the ship was more consistently next to the pier. Even then, it could be that side for half the ports and the other side for the rest of the ports. I book based on price and location on the ship in relation to what's IN the ship, not outside. There's always Promenade, Lido and whatever else public deck is on the ship to watch sailaways. Not something I'm going to think twice about or stress over. :)[/quote

As DD is fond of saying, "both sides of the ship are going to the same place.. Does it really matter?"

I'm a bit confused on this, the even room numbers are port side and the odd room numbers are starboard side. I use to think the port side was the side docked at port for loading and unloading materials. But the dictionary says when one looks forward on a ship, the starboard side is on the right side. So I assume that's how it works. Anyone else ever wonder about this?

I doubt that anyone else has even thought about it.

DON

The dictionary is exactly right. Starboard is the right side facing forward and port side is the left. :)

When I was a kid we had a boat. My father taught me this trick to learn the difference between "Port" and "Starboard": "Port" is the short word, and so is "left". "Starboard" is the long word, and so is "right".

When facing forward (the 'pointy' end of ship):

Port has four letters in the word, so does the word left. Both 'port' and 'left' have four letters. Port side is LEFT, starboard is RIGHT.

Easy. ;)

That was the way I was taught.

The traditional nautical terms Port and Starboard are left and right respectively. It has nothing to do with which side the ship docks. Overall it doesnt make much difference which side you book but if your itinerary is a "round trip" round, say, Hawaii or New Zealand or perhaps cruise along the Mexican Pacific coast or Alaska then if you want land views you need to pick your side depending on which direction you are travelling. Clockwise = starboard or North-South = port. Ships dock on either side depending on the wharf, currents, weather, etc.

When I was a kid we had a boat. My father taught me this trick to learn the difference between "Port" and "Starboard": "Port" is the short word, and so is "left". "Starboard" is the long word, and so is "right".

Navigation lights on ships/boats and Bouys as also work on this theory Red light = Port, Left side, and Green Light = Starboard, right side.

The only difference I can think of is that during sea days, think which direction we would be sailing to either get sun on the balcony or not at a particular time of day.

e.g. if we are sailing south, sun rises in east, so port side for sun with breakfast.

Personally, I am not sure about Princess but on Celebrity ships the smoking sections on deck are on the Port side. I choose Starboard balcony cabins for no particular reason but on reflection maybe my subconcious has been picking this side so as to not have cigar / cigarette smoke wafting down (it happened to a friend on her cruise).:D

On cruises travelling North or South the sun will be on one side and the other side in shade. But that could be either port or starboard. We were in starboard on our recent cruise and had one stop where we were on port side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That has happened to us. We booked the same cabin on the Noordam -- same itinerary. The first time the port side faced all the ports. The next time we did this same cruise -- the starboard side faced all the ports.

Navigation lights on ships/boats and Bouys as also work on this theory Red light = Port, Left side, and Green Light = Starboard, right side.

Actually there are two International buoy coloring systems; Australia, Europe and other areas fall in Region A as listed above; in North/South America (Region B) the "red" side of the channel when coming in from the sea;

here in the US, we learn the phrase "Red, Right, Returning" -

Most of the Caribbean follows the Region B. It was odd to go into Martinique - a part of France - and see the red buoys on the left!

Aloha,

John

Actually there are two International buoy coloring systems; Australia, Europe and other areas fall in Region A as listed above; in North/South America (Region B) the "red" side of the channel when coming in from the sea;

here in the US, we learn the phrase "Red, Right, Returning" -

Most of the Caribbean follows the Region B. It was odd to go into Martinique - a part of France - and see the red buoys on the left!

Aloha,

John

I learned this as a child, but now I can't remember if it means the red bouy should BE on the right, or if the boat should GO ON the right side of the bouy.:confused: Would you please refresh my memory? :o

As for which side of the ship we book, I look at the itinerary and see if there will be something worth seeing while the ship is sailing.. For instance, on a south bound Alaska trip we chose port so that we would be on the mainland side. On our Black Sea cruise we chose port so that we would be able to see the land as we traveled close to the coast and on full transit Panama, we chose starboard so that we would have shade on our balcony in the afternoon. The cabins are the same on both sides, so for many itineraries it just doesn't matter. :)

Here in North America it is "red right return" which means to keep the red buoy to the right when returning into port. I live on a harbour and am lucky enough to see ships and boats going in and out all the time.

On our first cruise in Europe we were surprised to find the buoys were the opposite to home.

Here in North America it is "red right return" which means to keep the red buoy to the right when returning into port. I live on a harbour and am lucky enough to see ships and boats going in and out all the time.

On our first cruise in Europe we were surprised to find the buoys were the opposite to home.

Thanks! I guess it's like driving. Every region has it's own rules. :cool:

I didn't realize the "red, right, return" didn't apply globally. That's good to know.

I think the only difference between choosing port or starboard cabins from the passengers' point of view would be the location of the sun, unless you're doing a round trip. For my eastward voyage (north of the equator), I chose the starboard side because the sun is always in the south. Of course the ship doesn't travel exactly east, but it should help ;)

I was taught to remember no "RED PORT LEFT.

That's correct. On boats, there is also a white light on the stern, and each of the three lights has a shield that let's the light shine in a specific viewing angle. See this graphic:

nav_lights_l_166.gif

When spotting another boat at night, the colors of the lights that are visible will indicate the direction the other boat is going as it relates to your position. In the illustration, if you see a red and a green light, the other boat is heading straight at you. If you see a green and a white light, you are on it's starboard side and it is heading to your right. If you see only a white light, it is heading away from you.

This works for any vessel. The same light colors are used on airplanes for the same reasons.

aircraft-navigation-lights.jpg

Archived