Royal Kicked Us Off!!!

Their ship, their rules. Very few cruiselines will let you book a cabin if you are 18. Some will let you book if you are 21, some make you have someone 25 or older if you have someone under 21 in the cabin. You need to look into the booking requirements prior to booking. Same with booking a rental car. Some agencies won't rent to someone under 25, others will but only if you pay a surcharge and are 21 or older.

The problem the OP is having is because they have unrelated young adults and only two adults between three cabins. Because the cruiseline entered an incorrect birthdate on the original reservation, the problem is only surfacing now.

Exactly...it does suck that RCI screwed up - they should offer a little more than a refund for aggravation in my opinion, but they can make the rules say whatever they want regarding ages.

What I find really troubling is just when, exactly, was RCI going to notify these folks that there was a problem? Was this going to happen when they showed up at the terminal to check in? Apparently this reservation was taken by an RCI employee. Apparently the reservation has been flagged. Apparently RCI did nothing to get in touch with the owners of the reservation that was taken by their employee.

If RCI does not see a problem here then I really can do nothing but sit here and shake my head.

This is the issue that I see also. Why weren't these people contacted when the mistake was found? It's obvious that someone flagged the booking. RCI is just getting worse and worse when it comes to their customer service. IMHO it's time for some heads to roll starting with Adam G. If he can't get put people into place to run the departments in a proper manner, then the issues starts with him.

Also it sounds like the booking agent placed the wrong birth date down on one of the girls to make it look legit which is stupid as they would have known this would cause issues at check-in.

This is not a new policy. It is on the FAQ page.

I think what I find most disturbing, is that there was a long discussion with the rep on how to book, where to put who, etc. So even if that cabin was booked in error due to the birth year, what is the excuse for the third cabin? They had put the the OP and her husband in the middle cabin.

Maybe there should be some additional training for reps..sounds like it is needed.

I think Kay has a huge and legitimate gripe with RCCL over this matter. Clearly their rep is at fault and as a result, she is now having to do last minute scrambling to salvage this vacation. The aggravation and stress involved has got to be outrageous.

I love RCCL but mistakes do happen, and in this case it seems obvious that their rep really dropped the ball. I truly hope RCCL takes responsibility and makes this right.

It's difficult to help without the exact reason RCCL is canceling your reservation. According to RCCL policy, someone over 21 needs to be assigned to each cabin. If there are two cabins, you and DH would need to be assigned to 3 cabins. If you had 3 cabins, I understand the problem.

Not exactly true, We have booked our daughter twice in her own cabin across from ours as a minor. If the cabins share a wall or are directly across from an adult you don't have to book an adult in it. Wondering if the cabins in this situation could be teens in 2 then the adults all side by side thus the cabin on the end is not sharing a wall with adults? This just does not seem right. Grandparents take kids, step kids and friends under age all the time. Why at 18 they are giving them a hard time?

Very interested to see how this turns out. Our daughter just turned 18 and was going to have someone in her cabin (directly across from ours) on the Allure at first until we converted to a Deluxe Guarantee putting the 3 of us in one cabin.

BonVoyage

Dawna

This is not a new policy. It is on the FAQ page.

I think what I find most disturbing, is that there was a long discussion with the rep on how to book, where to put who, etc. So even if that cabin was booked in error due to the birth year, what is the excuse for the third cabin? They had put the the OP and her husband in the middle cabin.

Maybe there should be some additional training for reps..sounds like it is needed.

Would you copy & paste that to the post please. Since our daughter just turn 18 year and the amount I cruise I would love to see this "NEW POLICY". I don't intend on sharing a cabin if we dont have to. :D

BonVoyage

Dawna

The outcome so far today is that (1) I have booked & paid for a condo on Daytona Beach for 4 nights + booked a timeshare unit for 2 nights in Orlando, and (2) I have not heard a word back from RC, so I am "trusting" that all the cruise fees, taxes + insurance have been credited back to DH's credit card!! (OMG, do I dare "trust" RC now??) Seriously, I am worried that RC will find some excuse not to refund $2500 to me!!! (With the condo+timeshare, I will have to do food shopping & some food prep, which I was hoping to avoid by taking a cruise!!!)

Hoping someone from RC has been reading this thread -- amazing to see there have been nearly 7500 views today on this, and also over 100 of you replied & have supported my frustration!!!!

The outcome so far today is that (1) I have booked a condo on Daytona Beach for 4 nights + booked a timeshare unit for 2 nights in Orlando, and (2) I have not heard a word back from RC, so I am "trusting" that all the cruise fees, taxes + insurance have been credited back to DH's credit card!! (OMG, do I dare "trust" RC now??) Seriously, I am worried that RC will find some excuse not to refund $2500 to me!!!

So sorry this has happened to you.

I just pray that there are extensive notes in your reservation from all your phone calls.

Glad you and the girls are getting some kind of vacation from this last minute fiasco!

Something seems amiss here. If the girls are all 18 or older at the time of boarding, they are all legal adults for the purpose of the cruise (should be able to sign for themselves at the pier and not require a letter from the parents - though they might if any were using a parent's credit card), and the OP is effectively a chaperone. Like Merion_Mom said, contact the C&A number tomorrow and see if you cannot get a more satisfactory response.

That is what I was told also. In fact, I just called again after I read this b/c we are taking our 18 year old neice and her friend on Majesty for their HS graduation present. Royal told me again that there is absolutely no issue with bringing them since they are both over 18 years old. They did tell me b/c they are not 21, and we are not the parents, that one has to be in each cabin, so that was how I booked it. We will get extra keys like others have done once we are on the ship so the girls can bunk together. But as long as they are 18, they are considered legal adults and I don't need any permission or documents from the parents to bring them on the ship with me.

Yes, you likely will make it on board because there are just 2 girls and 2 adults, but please keep asking your question several times to several people!! My experience says now to try to get someone to EMAIL you the answer that there will be no issue, print it out and carry that email with you to port!!!

If this situation had not happened to ME, I would not have believed it could happen!!!!

Would you copy & paste that to the post please. Since our daughter just turn 18 year and the amount I cruise I would love to see this "NEW POLICY". I don't intend on sharing a cabin if we dont have to. :D

BonVoyage

Dawna

It's already been posted 3 different times to this thread, but here it is again:

"No Guest younger than the age twenty-one (21) will be assigned to a stateroom unless accompanied in the same stateroom by an adult twenty-one (21) years old or older. A guest's age is established upon the first date of sailing.

This age limit will be waived for children sailing with their parents or guardians in connecting staterooms..."

It's not a new policy. It has been on Royal's FAQ page for years.

Age of maturity in the US (18) is irrelevant. It's Royal Caribbean's rules that count when you are travelling with them.

You won't have to share a cabin - see the second paragraph above. Even if your staterooms are not connecting, you could always book you or your DH in with your daughter, and then adjust who sleeps where, once you get on board.

It appears that the agent who took the OP's original booking made a mistake with one of the ages and that is why the booking was originally accepted. However, once the mistake was discovered, Royal should have notified the OP.

This is a right "royal" screw-up and the OP is owed a full refund and an apology, at the very least. It would be a nice gesture if Royal gave the OP some compensation for the mistake.

The outcome so far today is that (1) I have booked & paid for a condo on Daytona Beach for 4 nights + booked a timeshare unit for 2 nights in Orlando, and (2) I have not heard a word back from RC, so I am "trusting" that all the cruise fees, taxes + insurance have been credited back to DH's credit card!! (OMG, do I dare "trust" RC now??) Seriously, I am worried that RC will find some excuse not to refund $2500 to me!!! (With the condo+timeshare, I will have to do food shopping & some food prep, which I was hoping to avoid by taking a cruise!!!)

Hoping someone from RC has been reading this thread -- amazing to see there have been nearly 7500 views today on this, and also over 100 of you replied & have supported my frustration!!!!

OP - if they decide to let you cruise at this late date - I would tell them sorry - Ive made other plans - couldn't wait for you to decide - please give me my refund as you advised.

Am I missing something or is the issue that there are 3 cabins and only 2 adults (1 adult per cabin is needed?) OK so here are my thoughts, the problem does not appear to be that the girls are grand daughter and friends (Not the grandparents own kids) however - what if a family had 5 kids and the only availability was a double OV - a double OV and a Triple OV - wouldn't that be the same thing? They would have to book 3 cabins and there would only be 2 Adults - sooooo - they would not be able to sail due to lack of availability?

Am I missing something or is the issue that there are 3 cabins and only 2 adults (1 adult per cabin is needed?) OK so here are my thoughts, the problem does not appear to be that the girls are grand daughter and friends (Not the grandparents own kids) however - what if a family had 5 kids and the only availability was a double OV - a double OV and a Triple OV - wouldn't that be the same thing? They would have to book 3 cabins and there would only be 2 Adults - sooooo - they would not be able to sail due to lack of availability?

If it were a family as long as the cabins were next to or across from the parents it would be fine. The issue here is most of the under 21's are not related to the over 21's.

First off, you are handling this way better than I would this far into the ballgame. (I mean we are past the 7th inning stretch here and I'm a Taurus).

Secondly, I have taken several RC cruises with my boys when they were younger. They have always just been next to us but we were NEVER booked into their cabin their last name is different as well). Next July of 2013, I have the Allure booked for my youngest son's graduation. Both of the boys currently in the cabin will be 18 (just a month over 18) and we are considering a 3rd that is the same age. I phoned RC and was told that I do not have to have any written permission from the other boys parents. They are 18 and they are with me so all is good.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why they are making this such a big deal for your group? It makes NO sense. I would go straight to Mr. Goldstein himself. Just think what a mess this would be if you had all purchased airfare or paid for rooms or rental cars prior to boarding? Something just doesn't seem right. I know they do a background check on everyone prior to actually boarding, could someone in this group of girls have an issue that isn't known? The whole "they are under 21" line sounds like a cover up for something else. I would be livid and demand that Mr. Goldstein himself respond to me. This is months of planning, saving, being excited, etc all for nothing? :eek:

As they say, poor planning on RC's part does not constitute an emergency on my part so they need to get it together.

I wish you nothing but the best on this whole mess.

As they say, poor planning on RC's part does not constitute an emergency on my part so they need to get it together.

I wish you nothing but the best on this whole mess.

Actually, it would appear that poor customer service on RCI's part has created an emergency on the OP's part.

It's difficult to help without the exact reason RCCL is canceling your reservation. According to RCCL policy, someone over 21 needs to be assigned to each cabin. If there are two cabins, you and DH would need to be assigned to 3 cabins. If you had 3 cabins, I understand the problem.

Thank You. I was trying to find this rule on their webpage. If the OP cruised 31 times, and I believe she has, she should have known this rule before booking this cruise. And her TA should have known this too and mentioned this to her.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why they are making this such a big deal for your group? It makes NO sense.

And that is the RCI Customer Service Mission Statement.

WE MAKE NO SENSE. DEAL WITH IT.:eek:

Thank You. I was trying to find this rule on their webpage. If the OP cruised 31 times, and I believe she has, she should have known this rule before booking this cruise. And her TA should have known this too and mentioned this to her.

Why should the OP have known the rule if she had never sailed under these circumstances before? And since she booked with an RCI rep., not a TA, I guess what you are saying is that the rep should have know the rules and this would have been a non issue, right?

Yeah, your TA should have known that this booking was in violation of the minor policy. It sounds like between the TA and the RCI rep, someone entered wrong information which allowed you to book minors in a stateroom.

Like someone suggested before, if you can condense this to two staterooms (which would be difficult, I know), you should be able to meet their minor policy. I am surprised they did not give you this option.

If you are booked in a stateroom with two girls, and your husband is booked in a stateroom with two girls, then you should be able to get on the ship because there will be an adult over 25 booked in a room with every minor under 21. Then the four girls can all room together, and you and your husband will have your own cabin (just request additional room keys once onboard).

As of right now, is Royal Caribbean giving you a full refund? Or are they applying your deposit towards a future cruise?

....... she should have known this rule before booking this cruise.

But RCI and the RCI rep that took the reservation and booked the cruise need not know the rules?:eek::confused:

You would hope that the customer service rep working for the cruise line would know, however, the OP is probably at fault, as everyone knows, RCI, their policies, enforcement of policies, and customer service is beyond pathetic.

Everyone should know that when you deal with RCI, you are dealing with the equivalent of a bunch of morons.

So, everyone, beware.

Caveat Emptor.:eek:

As of right now, is Royal Caribbean giving you a full refund? Or are they applying your deposit towards a future cruise?

Lets see.... RCI's employee makes the mistake of doing this booking. Somewhere along the way the reservation gets flagged. RCI does not inform the OP of the issue until one week prior to the cruise and that notice only occurs because the OP happened to contact RCI about something.

Now, should RCI provide a full refund or apply the deposit toward a future cruise? Hummmm, well, I would say that if anyone running this company has any clue at all that the answer to that one would be pretty easily.

And that is the RCI Customer Service Mission Statement.

WE MAKE NO SENSE. DEAL WITH IT.:eek:

Lol...I have to totally agree with that statement. Seems like more often, it's like they are shooting themselves in the foot.

Archived