Royal Kicked Us Off!!!

It's actually very easy....when you book the first shore excursion or specialty dining reservation on-line it will ask if you would like to include someone from another reservation...you just put in that other reservation # and the names of the people in that reservation will populate....once you do that the first time the guests from that other booking will always pop right up when you try to make any other reservations.

Mine doesn't do that. I have to put in the reservation each time. Maybe our booking is messed up? I hope not... we leave in 11 days :eek:

RCI is getting worse and worse. Absolutely no customer service. It is totally wrong to have taken the reservation in the first place. Keep trying to get resolution. Stay calm. Ask to speak to the resolutions department right away. I am so sorry this happened to you. These days should be filled with joy trying to decide what shoes to take, not this cr%$.

Good luck to you!!! Please let us know what happens.

E-Beth

OK...this is making the most sense.... although I have to admit...I didn't even know of that policy. However I don't believe that your analogy that if you had 10 kids....you can take 10 friends would be correct.

I have talked to TA's in the past that book large Quinceañera groups. To make matters even more confusing the chaperon policy changes whether the reservation was booked in the US verse abroad....even when sailing on the same ship in the US. A US booking say on Monarch has much stricter chaperon rules than say a group booking that same Monarch sailing from Brazil. I was very surprised learning that....but it is apparently why when you see say a Quinceañera group from Brazil with 100 kids and only like 10 chaperons..it is allowed. But if it were a US Quinceañera group then they have to have many many more chaperons to confirm to the US policy.....also why when you see a US Quinceañera group you see so many parents.

Steve, I posed the 10 kids question to the person who called from the executive offices, in respone to me email to Richard Fain, it was my attempt at being sarcastic and facetious. I fully expected to be told no, but he agreed that the policy, as written, would allow it. Strange I know, but so is the whole situation.

I did ask as to where I could find this policy in writing, or on the website, but never received an answer:(

Wow this is ridiculous!! To the OP- I am so sorry this happened to you!!! What if you had never called, you would have never been notified?!

I definitely agree, you should call C&A and keep asking to speak to a supervisor until you get some real answers/solutions. Or at the VERY least some sort of additional compensation other than a refund... you should have known about this when first booking if this would be a problem.

So sorry!

Steve, I posed the 10 kids question to the person who called from the executive offices, in respone to me email to Richard Fain, it was my attempt at being sarcastic and facetious. I fully expected to be told no, but he agreed that the policy, as written, would allow it. Strange I know, but so is the whole situation.

I did ask as to where I could find this policy in writing, or on the website, but never received an answer:(

Yea....it's a grey area we are touching on here...as in current language written it can be interpreted in different ways. I think that Royal needs to be VERY clear on this policy and have it posted on their site...AND make sure their own booking agents know it inside and out.

To answer some of the points made so far:

It was the Reservation Resolution agent+supervisor that ended up denying our booking yesterday,

We booked this trip about 6 weeks ago, not 6 months.

Granddaughter is only one NOT 18, shy of only 2 wks of her birthday!

My booking was for 3 outside cabins in a row (adjoining but not connecting) at the forward end of the hallway (Cat. G) whereby 1 cabin was for max 3 and 2 cabins for 2 only -- and I was told that was the LAST cabin for 3 except for JS.

When I booked it & paid it, the guy (don't have his name) said DH + I had to be in middle cabin because our cabin walls adjoin the 2 cabins with the girls, and get the "notarized permission/designation of temporary guardianship for specific cruise" (RC repr's words), and never a mention of needing someone else over 21. Birthdates for each person was entered into the reservation.

Last week, I called Crown+Anchor about a rumor on these boards of a $25pp onboard credit for bringing 1st time cruisers to RC, and yes, I could get only 1 $25 OBC per newbie per cabin. So in reviewing the occupancy in each the C+A woman said "Oh I see Megan was born in 1983 and I said no, 1993 -- she said "well, it was entered that way" and I said the repr I talked to entered it." So that may have been what triggered a red flag on our booking....unbeknowst to me that was a problem!!! I had filled in online checkin correctly but the initial booking was wrong.

Last night I called back in to find out what would resolve this problem -- answer, add another parent -- but where? Our 3 in a row cabins did allow for an 8th person. Where else? Oh, there are 2 JS cabins that hold 3 but nowhere near the other 3 -- and what would that cost, I ask -- $1000 more than what our present cabin for 3 cost!!! No offer to reduce the JS price, of course!! And if we added an inside cabin near our 3, then I need 2 more parents to go....and our travel group of 7 goes to 9. (Driving down to FL from TN in a vehicle that holds 8 max, so we can't go up to 9!)

Finally, my friend TA emailed me back this AM to say she was shocked at this and was unaware of any change in occupancy rules that could have kicked us off ship unless it was quite recent!!

It is always interesting to see the RCI Sales Prevention Team in action.

LOL!

To the OP. I am so sorry this happened and I hope you find an enjoyable alternative for your vacation with the girls.

Yea....it's a grey area we are touching on here...as in current language written it can be interpreted in different ways. I think that Royal needs to be VERY clear on this policy and have it posted on their site...AND make sure their own booking agents know it inside and out.

What I find really troubling is just when, exactly, was RCI going to notify these folks that there was a problem? Was this going to happen when they showed up at the terminal to check in? Apparently this reservation was taken by an RCI employee. Apparently the reservation has been flagged. Apparently RCI did nothing to get in touch with the owners of the reservation that was taken by their employee.

If RCI does not see a problem here then I really can do nothing but sit here and shake my head.

There are all kinds of strange things like this not spelled-out on their website for whatever reasons.

I'm taking my two sons (7 and 8) and their babysitter (16) on a cruise next month. We have 2 connecting 2-person cabins. When I tried to put the babysitter in a cabin with my 7-year-old the travel agent said that Royal Caribbean policy wouldn't allow it. Since her parents aren't on the ship with her she has to be listed in my room.

So in Royal Caribbean's eyes, a 7-year-old with a parent on the ship is less likely to need supervision than a 16-year-old without a parent on the ship.

Weird.

First let me say I am a loyal RCL cruiser although have just switched to Celebrity and believe I will stay there. My suggestion to you is this. I have had a few issue with RCL including breaking a wrist on one of their excursions and the doctor reading the xrays incorrectly. Anyway I have always sent a letter to Customer Relations with a cc to Adam Goldstein. I have NEVER not been compensated for any grief I have had with them or less than perfect service. This is what you have to do and really let them know you will have to rethink ever taking RCL, Celebrity or Azamara ever again.

Granted nothing will fix your problem now, but at least some satisfaction should be had in something for a future cruise. I am willing to say they will get you a future cruise credit for your trouble and apologize. It is worth the price of 2 stamps.

Hope you find a condo. Check around Cocoa Beach. It is off season now and plenty should be available. Not too far from Orlando if you want to go to the parks at all. We stayed right on the beach for an air show and watched the waves every evening.

I wish you good luck and smooth sailings in the future.

Wow, that stinks that the sales prevention team (loved that!) messed up your booking and weren't even going to tell you about it! If you can't get things resolved for this cruise, since you have the flexibility of driving, what about booking something a bit later in the summer? Or even over a college break sometime in the next year, as a belated gift? It won't make up for missing the cruise right around graduation, but it would give you more time to sort things out.

Good luck, hope you can figure something out so you all have a great time. On a different cruise line. :)

Wow, that stinks that the sales prevention team (loved that!) messed up your booking and weren't even going to tell you about it! If you can't get things resolved for this cruise, since you have the flexibility of driving, what about booking something a bit later in the summer? Or even over a college break sometime in the next year, as a belated gift? It won't make up for missing the cruise right around graduation, but it would give you more time to sort things out.

Good luck, hope you can figure something out so you all have a great time. On a different cruise line. :)

Or look for a good last minute deal on another cruise line.

I just have to say that it really bothers me to read some of the things that have come up lately about a company, and product, that I really like. This also happens to be a company, and product, that I talk up to a lot of people.

I'm wondering if you could book one of those family suites. Two bedrooms and a sofa bed. You'd just have to find one more bed . . . I don't understand the whole thing, because my parents booked four mini-suites together on Holland America. Once we boarded the ship, we only saw the youngest teenager at dinner.

Another point of interest -- just had a call from a woman from RC inquiring why WE CANCELLED our reservation -- so I tell her the WHOLE STORY -- now she is investigating. Mike thinks she is in accounting & got the message today to refund my cruise payments in total (which they rarely do 5 days before cruise) and accounting doesn't want to pay it back!!!!

I'm wondering if you could book one of those family suites. Two bedrooms and a sofa bed. You'd just have to find one more bed . . .

This might have been an option several months ago but those family suites book FAST! It would take an act of God or being BFF's with Adam to get into one of those rooms this close to their sailing.

have you found any solutions? Is your TA helping to resolve or find another trip for you?

I don't think this has anything to do with the freedom issues and more likely pressuring the staff to adhere to policy. yes it can be read and taken in many different ways but it is clear that you didn't get adjoining rooms. just because the walls touch each other isn't what makes them adjoining. Is the agent at fault....possibly...However OP can look on line to see what rooms are showing also and if adjoining.

hope it works out for you. I am with the thinking when one door closes another one even better opens.

have you found any solutions? Is your TA helping to resolve or find another trip for you?

I don't think this has anything to do with the freedom issues and more likely pressuring the staff to adhere to policy. yes it can be read and taken in many different ways but it is clear that you didn't get adjoining rooms. just because the walls touch each other isn't what makes them adjoining. Is the agent at fault....possibly...However OP can look on line to see what rooms are showing also and if adjoining.

hope it works out for you. I am with the thinking when one door closes another one even better opens.

The OP booked through RCI using their employee. She did not do an on-line booking or use a TA.

Another point of interest -- just had a call from a woman from RC inquiring why WE CANCELLED our reservation -- so I tell her the WHOLE STORY -- now she is investigating. Mike thinks she is in accounting & got the message today to refund my cruise payments in total (which they rarely do 5 days before cruise) and accounting doesn't want to pay it back!!!!

I suggest you get full names, titles, phone numbers, and email addresses of anyone you speak with.

After any conversation, send an email back to the person stating: regarding our conversation today, I understand the following ______________________________ , and detail the specifics of each communication.

This makes me think they are going to allow you to sail.

That is 3 rooms they had booked and just lost. Five days before sailing it will be extremely difficult to fill those 3 rooms so RC is going to lose a lot of money as those rooms will sit empty.

So sorry you have to deal with this!! This is something that should have been made clear by RCCL before even taking your payment. Hopefully whoever is investigating will be able to find a good resolution. Whether you end up taking the cruise or a different vacation instead, I'm sure your granddaughter & her friends will have a wonderful trip. Good luck & hope it all works out!

I cant even imagine how mad I would have been had I drove from TN to Port canaveral FL only to find out my party was not allowed to board because of THEIR mistake!

It would not have been pretty! I can tell you that!

I seriously hope there is a resolution in your favor. I would not blame you for never booking with RCI again if there isnt.

In light of recent events here, I was very leery of opening this thread because of the title. I thought "oh no, here we go again. A 1500 post thread that will be full of vile postings and closed by the Admin"

You seriously have a legitimate gripe here though! Best of luck in your resolution :)

Archived