Royal Kicked Us Off!!!

Little Miss Magic -- I did NOT BOOK this cruise through this travel agent friend!!!! I booked it through directly with RC repr. I ran it by her and she saw no issue, but RC would not allow her to take it over -- too close to sailing I guess....

There are NO staterooms on Monarch for 4 or 3 now!! So that is a moot issue -- there is NO WAY to solve it -- so NO CRUISE!!! What still upsets me, is NOONE at RC had the DECENCY OR CONCERN to CALL ME about this!! I would have learned it when we got to pier to board!!! It all came out during a call over my inquiring about another minor issue (on-board credit)!!! Please re-read my 1st post!

I have an email that says full refund, so I am anticipating a full refund, and it sure better come through! Or there will be another thread here!!! LOL

Why should the OP have known the rule if she had never sailed under these circumstances before? And since she booked with an RCI rep., not a TA, I guess what you are saying is that the rep should have know the rules and this would have been a non issue, right?

Yes, the Royal Caribbean Rep the OP booked with should have known the rule.

OP - once you get your refund - I would definately write a detailed but to the point letter to corporate.

Little Miss Magic -- I did NOT BOOK this cruise through this travel agent friend!!!! I booked it through directly with RC repr. I ran it by her and she saw no issue, but RC would not allow her to take it over -- too close to sailing I guess....

There are NO staterooms on Monarch for 4 or 3 now!! So that is a moot issue -- there is NO WAY to solve it -- so NO CRUISE!!! What still upsets me, is NOONE at RC had the DECENCY OR CONCERN to CALL ME about this!! I would have learned it when we got to pier to board!!! It all came out during a call over my inquiring about another minor issue (on-board credit)!!! Please re-read my 1st post!

I have an email that says full refund, so I am anticipating a full refund, and it sure better come through! Or there will be another thread here!!! LOL

Oh, I'm sorry - someone said something about your travel agent, and I took it as fact. I should've remembered that you said you booked on the phone through and RCI rep. That rep was an idiot (again, what's new)!

That is really a pain in a butt, and I'm sorry this happened to you. The RCI rep that you booked with should have informed you of this policy..... speaking of which, it should say on your statement who you booked with. That person needs to be turned in.

I'm glad that you are getting a full refund. It would be ridiculous if they held your deposit.

Someone said I should know all the rules after 31 cruises -- WHY ME?? WHY NOT THE CRUISE REPR??

Initial discussion on phone with cruise repr: I laid out the whole scenario (granddaughter 17, 4 girl friends 18+19, 2 grandparents) and what do you have for us to sail on the ship, preferably oceanview? NEVER ONCE was "another adult" mentioned, OR I would have got 1 of the moms to go!! ONLY stipulations were (1) me & DH have to be in the middle cabin & girls on each side and (2) get the notarized permission slips with temporary guardianship wording for all (repr actually said you might not need it for girls but get it anyway). The only info I entered into the computer was the typical check-in info!!!

By some stroke of luck, plan B (through VRBO) fell into my laptop about midnight last night!!!

To me it is more insane to think RC would approve a booking with a 71 year old man in same cabin with 2 18 yr old girls, who aren't related to him -- now really??? Now that is weird -- RC MUST get back to reality!!!

Someone said RC should offer me some suites -- hey if they had done that yesterday as 4-3, we would have moved in a heartbeat but not at $4400 when the original booking is $2400!!! NO way I'd paid that much extra, nor would the parents!!

Just to let you know..can't transfer a booking to a ta after final payment due date....thats why you couldn't..

Its a shame,they cant offer you a couple of suites..

I am sure that the executives at RCI are now reviewing their contracts and trying to figure out a way so that they will not refund your money.

As for another thread, having seen so many threads like yours, it is painfully apparent that RCI has no concern whatsoever about what is posted here, and does absolutely nothing about doing the right thing.

Personally, I have been a customer service manager for decades, and it is painful for me to read about how incredibly horrible RCI is in this regard.

The stories that I have read on this board in the last three months will result in the loss of tens of thousands of dollars in revenue to RCI. Yes, I am booked on the Oasis, but, that was done some time ago.

I could not in any way imagine ever using this company in any manner whatsoever in the future. I would imagine many others on this board feel the same way.

Whatever, that is how I see things. And what is really sad, I have been a loyal RCI cruiser, and absolutley have loved everything about the cruises I have taken with them. However, management is nothing short of a bunch of clowns. I am convinced because of management, the product and services will do nothing but deteriorate, word will spread, and those that do the research will learn, and they will act accordingly.

Sad.

Another point of interest -- just had a call from a woman from RC inquiring why WE CANCELLED our reservation -- so I tell her the WHOLE STORY -- now she is investigating. Mike thinks she is in accounting & got the message today to refund my cruise payments in total (which they rarely do 5 days before cruise) and accounting doesn't want to pay it back!!!!

Good to know at least Royal gave you full refund. If the booking broke their rules they shouldn't have kept your deposit in the first place.

What lousy customer service, again.

Someone said I should know all the rules after 31 cruises -- WHY ME?? WHY NOT THE CRUISE REPR??

Someone is wrong:rolleyes:. Knowing the policies and rules isn't your job, and you did give RCL the correct ages and asked how to make it work.

I do not believe that has happened yet.

What RCI says, and what RCI does are not always one and the same.

John....I see from your posts that you are real blacked out with Royal....so I'm assuming your June Oasis sailing is going to be your last with Royal.

I am sure that the executives at RCI are now reviewing their contracts and trying to figure out a way so that they will not refund your money.

As for another thread, having seen so many threads like yours, it is painfully apparent that RCI has no concern whatsoever about what is posted here, and does absolutely nothing about doing the right thing.

Personally, I have been a customer service manager for decades, and it is painful for me to read about how incredibly horrible RCI is in this regard.

The stories that I have read on this board in the last three months will result in the loss of tens of thousands of dollars in revenue to RCI. Yes, I am booked on the Oasis, but, that was done some time ago.

I could not in any way imagine ever using this company in any manner whatsoever in the future. I would imagine many others on this board feel the same way.

Whatever, that is how I see things. And what is really sad, I have been a loyal RCI cruiser, and absolutley have loved everything about the cruises I have taken with them. However, management is nothing short of a bunch of clowns. I am convinced because of management, the product and services will do nothing but deteriorate, word will spread, and those that do the research will learn, and they will act accordingly.

Sad.

OK....just saw this post of yours.......guess my assumption was right....sorry you feel so down on Royal before even sailing Oasis... that's not a good way to start a sailing off.

I do not believe that has happened yet.

What RCI says, and what RCI does are not always one and the same.

Oh how true....the left hand never knows what the right hand is doing!

Regarding a refund......It was RC who said they noticed something was not right in the ressie and could not sail...not where the OP called to cancel.

IF this were me and RC refuses refund, I would explode!

OP I am pulling for you and a full refund. ;)

Just for the record......I have NEVER had an issue with refunds from Royal....and trust me I have for one reason or another made plenty of changes that have resulted in refunds....actually they are very fast in refunding. If I make a cancellation on a specialty dining resi...or excursion...or even a sailing....it's never more than a weeks time before I see the credit show up on my CC.....most of the time it's even less.

something just doesnt sound right to me. are you certain you are calling and talking to rci? not talking to someone else who is messing with you? I ask because I work for a soy bean processing plant in iowa. our 800 # is one digit off from a power company in southern california. multiple times a week we get calls from people begging us not to turn off their power. I always think it would be funny to mess with them a bit since it is so annoying. i'd be screaming all the way to the top at rci if it was me.

For what it's worth, when I had the issue mentioned previously, I emailed both Richard Fain and Adam Goldstein, only ever has a call from Richard Fains office, seems Adam is not the one to complain to.

We booked this trip about 6 weeks ago, not 6 months.

6 weeks would put us in the first week of April. Out of curiosity could it have been 7 weeks ago that you booked?? The last week of March, ie. the last week of the 1st quarter?

It strikes me as odd that someone who's job it is to enter bookings would make an unintentional mistake with the birthdates like that. Sounds to me like a: take the booking, have it count towards their 1st quarter numbers, who cares if it gets cancelled later on in May.

Initial discussion on phone with cruise repr: I laid out the whole scenario (granddaughter 17, 4 girl friends 18+19, 2 grandparents) and what do you have for us to sail on the ship, preferably oceanview? NEVER ONCE was "another adult" mentioned, OR I would have got 1 of the moms to go!! ONLY stipulations were (1) me & DH have to be in the middle cabin & girls on each side and (2) get the notarized permission slips with temporary guardianship wording for all (repr actually said you might not need it for girls but get it anyway). The only info I entered into the computer was the typical check-in info!!!

By some stroke of luck, plan B (through VRBO) fell into my laptop about midnight last night!!!

To me it is more insane to think RC would approve a booking with a 71 year old man in same cabin with 2 18 yr old girls, who aren't related to him -- now really??? Now that is weird -- RC MUST get back to reality!!!

Someone said RC should offer me some suites -- hey if they had done that yesterday as 4-3, we would have moved in a heartbeat but not at $4400 when the original booking is $2400!!! NO way I'd paid that much extra, nor would the parents!!

Yes, I agree with you. That is weird that in RCL's eyes that would have been ok. :rolleyes: Creepy, really. Somehow that must make sense in their world.

I have to wonder if there was a cabin with an occupancy of 4 that wasn't booked with 4 in it...that perhaps with a call or two to the current passengers booked in them, they could have switched cabins for you to get you down into two cabins instead of three. Sounds like they didn't even bother to try.

I worry that just because you have an email stating you'd get a refund that they aren't going to pull a stunt and give you the cancel within x amount of days partial refund citing that you should have known the published rules even though it was their rep's fault in not understanding the rules himself! Now you have even more money on the line with a condo rental.

You're handling this so very well. I'd be on the phone with them telling them to fix it - to do whatever it takes to find you the two rooms that you need so that an adult over 21 was assigned to each room.

I have to wonder if this all came to light at the port, would have just let it stay assigned as is or would have just given you some mega suite upgrade on the house due to their flagrant error.

I'm left shaking my head. What a mess. What absolutely poor customer service. Horrible that they didn't catch this and notify you immediately. That if you never called, you may have never known until standing at the port. Unbelieveable.

no and no. the only lines that permit 18 year olds to book is Disney and Cunard. most require someone 21( and Carnival is even higher at 25)

any and all cruises that leave from a US port the drinking age is 21, period end of subject on board. only cruises departing from EUROPE allow drinking with written permission of the parents/guardians.

the only thing I can think of is there are not enough adults OVER 21 to cover the number of those under 21.. every cabin with someone under 21 in it must have 1 adult booked into it( yes we all know people rearrange once on board)

so if the OP has 3 cabins booked, but there are only 2 adults( Gram and Gramps) then one cabin does not meet the requirement of an adult 21 and over booked into it.

Nope! As far as the drinking age~~~That's incorrect. On cruises leaving from the US, at least on Carnival and RCL, if the 18 year old is traveling with their parents, the parents can give permission for the 18 year old to drink beer and wine, but not alcohol. Their set sail card is punched with a hole that indicates that they can drink or a little sticker (don't remember exactly)

We have done this several times with our kids before they were 21.

Nope! As far as the drinking age~~~That's incorrect. On cruises leaving from the US, at least on Carnival and RCL, if the 18 year old is traveling with their parents, the parents can give permission for the 18 year old to drink beer and wine, but not alcohol. Their set sail card is punched with a hole that indicates that they can drink or a little sticker (don't remember exactly)

That might have been the policy many, many years ago but it definitely is not the current policy for sailings from the US. The current alcohol policy is available on the cruiselines website and you can not sign a waiver for anyone under 21 for a sailing from a US port.

at least on Carnival and RCL, if the 18 year old is traveling with their parents, the parents can give permission for the 18 year old to drink beer and wine, but not alcohol. [/b][/i]

Where I come from Beer and Wine IS alcohol :confused:

Well, that's no longer true, then. From any ship leaving from the US or sailing in US waters, you must be 21 or older to consume alcohol. (btw - beer and wine contain alcohol. Perhaps you meant hard liquor? :D)

Two hole punches = under 18 years of age

One hole punch = under 21 years of age (can gamble, can't drink)

No hole punches = 21 years of age or older

While I agree that the cruise rep "should" have known the rules and regulations I know from experience that some, not all the reps I speak with on the phone to make reservations are new trainees. And since they do work on commission they probably just book the cruises as far as they can and move on to the next person. Those this stink yes it does. And this is one reason why I try and make myself informed of their policies ahead of time.

And YES, I do hope you get a full refund.

Not sure if this was posted already by Royal Caribbean's age policy is crystal clear.... :rolleyes:

Q:* What is Royal Caribbean International's Age Policy?

A:* No Guest younger than the age twenty-one (21) will be assigned to a stateroom unless accompanied in the same stateroom by an adult twenty-one (21) years old or older. A guest's age is established upon the first date of sailing.

This age limit will be waived for children sailing with their parents or guardians in connecting staterooms; for underage married couples; and for active duty members of the United States or Canadian military.

Certain other restrictions and conditions will apply; such as compliance with the age twenty-one (21) alcohol policy, and proof of marriage for underage couples or proof of active duty military status.required).

Not sure if this was posted already by Royal Caribbean's age policy is crystal clear.... :rolleyes:

Everyone understands that it is against Royal's policy. The issue here is that the OP didn't know that it was against policy because she had never encountered that situation before, and the RCI rep let her book three staterooms that went against their policy (perhaps by intentionally entering one of their birth dates incorrectly). The reservation was even flagged, but RCI did not contact the OP telling her that there was a problem with her reservation.

Were they planning on contacting her? Or were they going to allow her to arrive at the terminal with four underage girls who would then be denied boarding?

Archived