Live from Fascination

Grandeur

CAN'T WAIT TO GET OFF.....................................

Biggest lesson learned? Pictures on websites are NOT true to this ship. The pools are NOT in red, blue and yellow tiles.... they are blue metal with a chrome strip around top and RUSTED.....YES RUSTED. I had to keep my 3 yr old from the sides because it is soooo gross. There is no little kids slide as in the pictures.

We are in a Cat 12. Paid $2800 for a suite / 4 days. The grout in our bathroom is gross and rust on the ceiling.

The main public rooms are okay. The halls to the staterooms are GROSS. When people say stains, we are talking STAINS!!!!!!

Watch out for extra charges!!! Sent out my clothes for pressing. Got charged a extra 50% for express service that was never ordered!!!! Had to fight with Pursers deck for refund of the extra charge.

My 3 year old went to babysitting last night but COULD NOT HAVE HIS BLANKIE FOR FALLING ASLEEP. We are talking they are watching a movie because it is 10pm and the children cannot have something to sleep with. UNBELIEVABLE!!!! We are on vacation away from home and he cannot have his blanket...the ONE thing familiar when falling asleep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FUNSHIP? No Way!!! There are 34 in our group and all agree we can't wait for this to be over!!!! THANK GOD IT IS NO 7 DAYS.

Royal Caribbean, we gladly come back to you.

If you are sailing and have questions, I'll be glad to answer.

HI there, first let me say I am so sorry you can't wiat to get off the ship ... What a shame....

I am booked on the Fascination this summer, please take pictures of the gross stuff like the grout that is rusted... And if possibble post them... Cause if it is as bad as you say I may change ships.... Not cruiseline but ships....

Try to enjoy the rest of your cruise.... Especially for that kind of money...

I think all of the older ships have been fitted with those fiberglass pools now instead of the tile ones. I had heard there was a problem with the tile cracking. Maybe they can polish the rust on the crome I know it is a constant battle as they are at seas and the pools a filled with salt water. To bad they are not keeping her up as well as they should. Maybe they need a new hotel director. Please get us some pics.

Shane

HI there' date=' first let me say I am so sorry you can't wiat to get off the ship ... What a shame....

I am booked on the Fascination this summer, please take pictures of the gross stuff like the grout that is rusted... And if possibble post them... Cause if it is as bad as you say I may change ships.... Not cruiseline but ships....

Try to enjoy the rest of your cruise.... Especially for that kind of money...[/quote']

Got a few pics already. The upper decks are closed because of high winds. Got the grout and rust. DH got pics of the pools. Yuck!

Loving our group though. I LOVE cruising. Always have. I am a believer that a cruise is what you make of it. HOWEVER, the ship should have been rennovated LONG ago.

Will post review and pics when home sweet home!

I assume that the Fascination has been refurbished at some point. Photos from 2001 show a yellow/red pool and newer ones show blue/white.:confused: Both show a slide though.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/25605766/25605766sAgjfOVTSR

http://community.webshots.com/photo/294503749/294503749FYZFaI

As the previous poster stated, the pools are filled with salt water which is highly corrosive.

I think going from the "_ _ _ _ _ of the Seas" group of ships to an older Carnival ship like the Fascination would be depressing. You should not base the whole line on what you see on one ship. Just look at the smiley Faces in your own signature.Try one of the newer ships and see how you like it before writing off the whole line.

Monarch 5/03 :(

I know how important the blankie thing is. That was un-called for.

What I really would like to know is...did they have vanilla vodka ??

Sorry you're having a bad time on the ship. I don't know, maybe it's just me but, I try to always stay with the newer ships...with the constant use a cruise ship goes through, it's going to start showing wear and tear and at this point the Fascination is an "older" ship in the Carnival fleet. It's a shame they let it get that way but, it's a very good heads up for the rest of us.

I am so sorry to hear you're not having a good time.

I had an absolute ball in January, but, maybe we didn't notice all of the things you did. I certainly hope it picks up for you.

:(

CAN'T WAIT TO GET OFF.....................................

Biggest lesson learned? Pictures on websites are NOT true to this ship. The pools are NOT in red, blue and yellow tiles.... they are blue metal with a chrome strip around top and RUSTED.....YES RUSTED. I had to keep my 3 yr old from the sides because it is soooo gross. There is no little kids slide as in the pictures.

We are in a Cat 12. Paid $2800 for a suite / 4 days. The grout in our bathroom is gross and rust on the ceiling.

The main public rooms are okay. The halls to the staterooms are GROSS. When people say stains, we are talking STAINS!!!!!!

Watch out for extra charges!!! Sent out my clothes for pressing. Got charged a extra 50% for express service that was never ordered!!!! Had to fight with Pursers deck for refund of the extra charge.

My 3 year old went to babysitting last night but COULD NOT HAVE HIS BLANKIE FOR FALLING ASLEEP. We are talking they are watching a movie because it is 10pm and the children cannot have something to sleep with. UNBELIEVABLE!!!! We are on vacation away from home and he cannot have his blanket...the ONE thing familiar when falling asleep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FUNSHIP? No Way!!! There are 34 in our group and all agree we can't wait for this to be over!!!! THANK GOD IT IS NO 7 DAYS.

Royal Caribbean, we gladly come back to you.

If you are sailing and have questions, I'll be glad to answer.

Sorry you are having a bad time. This is exactly the same thing DH and experienced on the Fascination last Memorial Day weekend. We also paid about $2300 for a cat. 12 (our 1st and only) for the 3 day b/c it was our anniversary. What a total disappointment! We were also glad it was a short cruise. Not sure if I'll get over paying that much for what we got in return, it still hurts! With that being said I still love Carnival. I'll just be more selective about the ships. At least the ships I'll be paying out the wazoo for. Have a safe return home and sorry to hear about you son. I'd be very upset if my DD couldn't have her beloved pillow.

Don't let the condition of an older ship keep you from sailing with Carnival.

We have been on 13 cruises with them...#14 coming up in Sept.... since 1993.

I will say that in May of 2003, I was able to take my daughter and 2 granddaughters, ages 12 and 10, on their very first cruise. They had a great time. This was on the Fascination and the first time for us being on that ship. I do agree with the op about the carpet in the cabin hallways. It didn't smell bad but it looked horrible. The stains were completely up and down the hallway..it appeared as though they had been flooded. I felt bad because I wanted my family to see how beautiful the ships were. It didn't bother them though...they had a great time!

Grandeur, I feel for you and your family! My daughter and I sailed on the Fantasy last July and on the first day we called home and said We wanna get off!! I will never cruise on an older ship again because of this. It was dirty and alot of things just werent up to standard. It really felt like a low class vacation and we were so disappointed. I love Carnival but will always sail on the new bigger ships.

Our family had the same feelings when we were on RCI's Sovereign of the Seas (before their refit). We thought it was old, crappy and basically just a horror. But - even though the ship wasnt a great one, we still had a wonderful time as we were together. I do agree though - I wouldnt get on an older ship anymore - it doesnt matter which cruise line.

what a nightmare. my question is this: whose idea was it to put metal around a pool that not ONLY contains salt water, also exists in salt air? DUH. :confused: sorry that your vacation is sucky...but I must admit I'm curious to see pictures as well.:eek:

i am not on the ship but I think what I said is pretty self explanatory. If he wants to push this he will not have face so i am sure he will let this thread just disappear.

stop teasing already and dish up the dirt!!

Well, obviously there's something else going on here that I'm not aware of. I am going to throw my 2 cents in anyway.

We just got off the Holiday last week and this too is an older ship and it was FANTASTIC. Very clean. In fact, they were painting the upper portions of all the pools on the last day at sea. When we embarked, they were painting the outside of the ship. I find it hard to believe that Holiday is the ONLY ship that does this type of touch up each week. It looked fairly routine to me; getting ready for the next group of cruisers. I would not hesitate to book on the Holiday again.

DANG!!

Did I get here after a post was pulled again!!!!!!

What did I miss???

UGH!

Nope you didn't miss anything. We're all sitting her quietly with the jello and popcorn....waiting! *tap...tap...tap*

I am sitting here just waiting for what happened to get posted, hopefully before this thread is yanked. I say post away and tell it like it appears to be (there is always another side), I have a sick kid home today and am tired of "Higglytown Heros" and am in need of entertainment. I say, let this thread be it. I have sailed on Carnivals older ships, but they were spanking new then... such a short time ago.. or I am getting old. One of the two.

Archived