Is Intercontinental in Miami that much better?

dreamr

Hey everyone,

So I have a question. I will be sailing out of Miami in November (woo!). I currently have a reservation at the Holiday Inn, along with a lot of others from my roll call, at a nice rate. However, from what I've been reading here on CC, if I call the Intercontinental, I may be able to get a room there for around the same as what I'm paying for the Holiday Inn.

Being that this is my first real vacation (first cruise, first flight, first trip to Miami, etc), I am tempted by the idea of staying at what is listed as a 5 star hotel (not to mention that the hotel is huge and I'd love to get a room in a very high floor - yes, I'm crazy like that lol).

However, I like the thought of being in the same hotel as the other roll callers, too, so I'm hesitant to change my reservation for that reason.

So basically... is the Intercontinental so much nicer than the Holiday Inn that you would move your reservation there if you had the chance? Or are the differences between the two hotels so insignificant that it won't really matter which one we choose?

The friend that I'm going with says that it doesn't matter to her where we stay, so she's no help. I'm hoping that you guys are. lol

Thanks in advance!

More pictures

2153355480032790875S600x600Q85.jpg

2643715130032790875S600x600Q85.jpg

2358813840032790875S600x600Q85.jpg

2072097930032790875S600x600Q85.jpg

2900897750032790875S600x600Q85.jpg

2241916790032790875S600x600Q85.jpg

I just went to LMT for the first time. IC came up and I'm going to call to see if I can also get the rate lower. I don't understand how they can offer such low rates. Why can't the hotel do the same? The Holiday Inn port of Miami didn't come up at all.

Thanks for the pics, elmoe663. :)

The main draw of the IC for me is being able to be on a super high floor. Yes, I'm a child (XD) and my friend said that because we aren't getting a suite or penthouse or whatever, that we will likely be on a lower floor like 10th or lower. If that's the case, then I'll just stay at the Holiday Inn.

...but I'm hoping that's wrong and that we could get on a really high floor, even with just a standard room. Would you happen to know about that?

---

Went ahead and called LMT. Got the room for $122 plus taxes for mid-October. YOu really can save if you call. They were very helpful. Already got my email confirmation.

Nosy question, but... did you have to pay the total up front or can you just give them a credit card number to hold the room? Also, did the e-mail confirmation include their cancellation policy?

Dreamer-I don't consider that a nosy question. You just want to know!! I think it will probably go ahead and be charged. There are taxes to be added of course on top of the $122. The email confirmation came immediately.

She told me the cancellation fee was $25. I am just too scared to try priceline. The $122 is not for the bay view but maybe I can change their mind once I get there!

Cancellation Policy

Hotel cancellations or changes made 3 day/s prior to check in time (Noon local hotel time), will be subject to 1 night/s fee

Hotel cancellations or changes made 1 day/s prior to check in time (Noon local hotel time), will be subject to a full fare fee

No-show is subjected to a full fare fee

Remarks

Please note that while your booking has been confirmed and is guaranteed, the rooming list with your name may not be adjusted in the hotel’s reservation system until closer to arrival. Should you have any questions please feel free to contact us via the email or phone information on this voucher.

Thanks for the pics, elmoe663. :)

The main draw of the IC for me is being able to be on a super high floor. Yes, I'm a child (XD) and my friend said that because we aren't getting a suite or penthouse or whatever, that we will likely be on a lower floor like 10th or lower. If that's the case, then I'll just stay at the Holiday Inn.

...but I'm hoping that's wrong and that we could get on a really high floor, even with just a standard room. Would you happen to know about that?

---

Nosy question, but... did you have to pay the total up front or can you just give them a credit card number to hold the room? Also, did the e-mail confirmation include their cancellation policy?

If you looked at the photos we were only on the 11th floor and had a great view so just go with the flow.

2619782470032790875S600x600Q85.jpg

2155110550032790875S600x600Q85.jpg

2678217840032790875S600x600Q85.jpg

2939012780032790875S600x600Q85.jpg

2958776470032790875S600x600Q85.jpg

Oh, it isn't about the view... XD

I'm really crazy and have never stayed in a room above the 14th floor before (we don't have hotels that are any larger than that in this area), so I just really want to stay on a super high floor... just so I can ride the elevator like 30 floors. LOL

I'm being silly, I know... but... that's just how I am! XD

Oh, it isn't about the view... XD

I'm really crazy and have never stayed in a room above the 14th floor before (we don't have hotels that are any larger than that in this area), so I just really want to stay on a super high floor... just so I can ride the elevator like 30 floors. LOL

I'm being silly, I know... but... that's just how I am! XD

Then why not just ride the elevator up and down? :rolleyes: No one will stop you from getting off at the top floors...other than the club or penthouse.

You are never guaranteed a room on a particular floor. Unless the hotel sells upcharged rooms on certain "high" floors. They do that in Chicago quite often.

No need to be rude about it.

Yes, I realize I could just ride the elevator up and down, but then what would the point of going through the hassle of calling around to find a better price and then canceling my other reservation, etc be?

No need to be rude about it.

Yes, I realize I could just ride the elevator up and down, but then what would the point of going through the hassle of calling around to find a better price and then canceling my other reservation, etc be?

Sorry. Didn't want to be rude. I guess I just didn't understand your statement about it not being about the view and just wanting to ride the elevator up to a room on the 30th floor. :confused:

Hope you have a wonderful time no matter which hotel you choose.

You can request a higher floor when you get there and a bayside room was $20 upon check in. I can't remember what floor we had but it was up there and was a standard room. No guarantees for a higher floor until you get there but chances are good!

I called the hotel directly after booking with LMT about upgrading to a higher-level bay view room and was told that I couldn't do that until less than a week before arrival. So, my plan is to call a week prior to our pre-cruise night and request the upgrade (based on availability of course) and when I check in pre-cruise, I will ask to upgrade for my post-cruise night.

I am super excited to start & end my vacation at this hotel! :D

Upgrades are possible if there are vacancies at the time you register. The hotel won't let you do it until then. If they can get a booking customer to pay full price for an upgraded room category, they will hold the rooms for them. Obviously not promise those to the bigtime discount site customers.

Cross your fingers.;)

• 3 weeks later...

I just got off the phone with LMT and booked 2 rooms at the IC for $126 each. With taxes, both rooms came to a total of $285.74.

Love you all for the good info you pass on to the rest of us. Ohhh forgot to mention that I called the 800 number to get that rate.

As long as we're on the topic of the IC, I was just wondering how tough it is to find transportation to & from the airport & the port. Are taxi's the best option?

Are taxi's a per person rate or one rate no matter how many people?

As long as we're on the topic of the IC, I was just wondering how tough it is to find transportation to & from the airport & the port. Are taxi's the best option?

Are taxi's a per person rate or one rate no matter how many people?

If you are flying into Miami and cruising out of Miami, then taxi would be the best way to go. They charge a flat rate between airport and Port of Miami. The price is based on one rate (not the number of persons in the taxi).

Quick Question.... several of you mention calling LMT to ask for a better rate. On the website, the hotel is supposed to be unknown to us (even though there are ways to find out). So when you call, do you mention "5* hotel in downtown miami" or do you say "What is the rate for the Intercontinental?" Do you mention that you were on the website and it says to call this number for a better rate? Or act like you have no clue what the rate is and you're just calling out of the blue?

I'm fine with calling, just want to know what everyone is saying/asking in order to get the discount. Thanks :)

If you have an iPad and download the free LMT app, when you inquire about hotels, it just flat out will say IC $xxx.xx per night. The regular web based app has the 'blind' booking.

When I called, I simply said I was on the website looking at the IC and there was something telling me to call for a better rate. No problem. Hopefully it works that way for everyone. This is only the first time I have used LMT.

Good luck!

There is something weird about LMT on Ipad. It says Embassy Suites for Jan. 13 will be 240.28 (taxes included). That is higher than what Embassy Suites lists on their website. I got it with the MVP rate for 186. including taxes. Perhaps I am doing something wrong?

When I booked for our Dec cruise, I called and got it for about $20 less than the online price that LMT had. :) I am so excited to be staying here pre & post cruise!! Definitely not a hotel that I could have afforded without hearing about the LMT site from these boards!!

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is LMT? and does anyone have the website and phone#?

There is something weird about LMT on Ipad. It says Embassy Suites for Jan. 13 will be 240.28 (taxes included). That is higher than what Embassy Suites lists on their website. I got it with the MVP rate for 186. including taxes. Perhaps I am doing something wrong?

If you're checking on your Ipad, it will show you the name of the hotel, and the prices, and the prices show as higher-if you check on a computer, most of the places are blocked/mystery hotels. If you do a mock booking of a hotel you like, then add on an excursion, it will then show you the name of the hotel...prices show lower....;)

(Not to hijack this thread, but you have beautiful parrots-I recognize your Amazons, but can't quite make out the yellow ones, as to breed/species...I have quite a few parrots myself. An African Grey, Blue Front Amazon, Blue Crown Conure, as pets, and other types in my aviaries:cool:)

If you are flying into Miami and cruising out of Miami, then taxi would be the best way to go. They charge a flat rate between airport and Port of Miami. The price is based on one rate (not the number of persons in the taxi).

Do you know if you can leave your car while on your cruise ? And is there a shuttle to the port?

Archived