Opinions please?

chefchick

I am looking at booking the air portion for an upcoming (Jan 2013) cruise. RT SEA - BGI on American. Both flights go thru MIA. I'm not as concerned for the outgoing trip as we will be flying in the day before, but the return trip has only 2 options. One departs Barbados early 7:50 or so and has a NINE HOUR layover in MIA. The second is preferable, leaving at 3:00 or so but it's layover is less than 2 hours (1 hr 50 Mins if I remember correctly). Windstar does come into port early so making it off the ship and to the airport is proabably doable but who wants to sit around an airport for 9 hours? On the other hand, I assume that an International connection time of under 2 hours is really pushing it at a busy airport like Miami? Does it matter that it's the afternoon on a Saturday as opposed to a Sunday? Yes, we will be in FC so first off the plane to reclaim bags etc, but is this even doable? And why does AA do that to you in the first place? I'm afraid I know what most of you will say, take the longer layover, but what the hell will we for nine hours? No, I do not have status to get into a lounge and I have to imagine even that would get boring after a whiile.

What would you do?

I am looking at booking the air portion for an upcoming (Jan 2013) cruise. RT SEA - BGI on American. Both flights go thru MIA. I'm not as concerned for the outgoing trip as we will be flying in the day before, but the return trip has only 2 options. One departs Barbados early 7:50 or so and has a NINE HOUR layover in MIA. The second is preferable, leaving at 3:00 or so but it's layover is less than 2 hours (1 hr 50 Mins if I remember correctly). Windstar does come into port early so making it off the ship and to the airport is proabably doable but who wants to sit around an airport for 9 hours? On the other hand, I assume that an International connection time of under 2 hours is really pushing it at a busy airport like Miami? Does it matter that it's the afternoon on a Saturday as opposed to a Sunday? Yes, we will be in FC so first off the plane to reclaim bags etc, but is this even doable? And why does AA do that to you in the first place? I'm afraid I know what most of you will say, take the longer layover, but what the hell will we for nine hours? No, I do not have status to get into a lounge and I have to imagine even that would get boring after a whiile.

What would you do?

First off, why does it have to be American Airlines? Don't get me wrong, I'm an American ExecPlat, so I am all for your supporting AA, but there are other choices that might work better.

Second, they can't time a Barbados to Miami flight to time up perfectly with a Miami to Seattle flight...what about the Miami to Houston flight, or the Miami to Chicago flight, etc.? What works for you might not work for someone else; likewise, what's not working for you probably lines up to a perfect layover for someone going to, say, Atlanta or Orlando from Miami. Very few airlines operate blocks of flights that lead to good connections for almost everyone...Emirates does, for example, but they're the exception, not the rule.

I would start looking at other airlines unless you really need to fly American for some reason.

Also - yes, I do know that Bridgetown has fewer carriers than it should, but there are options beyond AA - JetBlue and Air Canada, for example, do fly to Seattle and Bridgetown both. Also, would you consider a different airport, such as Portland, if that helps with connectivity?

Jet blue only flys on certain days out of BGI so not an option (or something like a 22 hour layover in JFK). Air Canada was close to $1000/person more (and even longer layovers in Toronto) so AA seems the "best" alternative.

Hopefully that explains the reasoning behind my AA choice?

Jet blue only flys on certain days out of BGI so not an option (or something like a 22 hour layover in JFK). Air Canada was close to $1000/person more (and even longer layovers in Toronto) so AA seems the "best" alternative.

Hopefully that explains the reasoning behind my AA choice?

Makes sense to me!

Sounds like you're in a tough spot for sure. I really do think 1:50 at MIA can be tough, with regards to clearing immigration, customs, and security. So...I would tough it out with the longer layover. Bring a good book, a movie, something. Or run in to the city for a couple hours.

You don't name your specific dates, but US also flies BGI-CLT-SEA.

I would not feel comfortable trying to clear immigration and customs at MIA with less than two hours.

The flight problem and the usual high cost of airfaire to Barbados is why we have never considered this particular Windstar cruise. Getting to the Caribbean in general from the west coast can be a pain.

One question is whether you would be willing to spend the night in MIA in case of the missed connection. If so, then you might consider the shorter connection.

Also, if you take the longer connection, you can easily rent a car for the day to make wise use of your time in the area rather than sitting around the airport all day. AA should check your luggage through to SEA when you check in at BGI so you will only have to worry about your carry on luggage. That is something I would consider if you didn't like the shorter connection.

Maybe between now and January you can apply for Global Entry, making the transit in MIA much quicker. Sure it costs, but it is another option.

One question is whether you would be willing to spend the night in MIA in case of the missed connection. If so, then you might consider the shorter connection.

Also, if you take the longer connection, you can easily rent a car for the day to make wise use of your time in the area rather than sitting around the airport all day. AA should check your luggage through to SEA when you check in at BGI so you will only have to worry about your carry on luggage. That is something I would consider if you didn't like the shorter connection.

Maybe between now and January you can apply for Global Entry, making the transit in MIA much quicker. Sure it costs, but it is another option.

I can't imagine going through the cost and hassle of Global Entry for one layover at Miami, to be honest. I travel constantly for a living and haven't found the benefits of Global Entry enough to outweigh the cost and effort. But, that's just me...and my work hasn't offered to pay for it ;)

I have a small credulity issue here. According to the OP, upon arriving at MIA, there is a nine hour wait if they take the early morning flight from BGI. I'm sorry, but you can't tell me that you have to wait nine hours to get out of MIA on AA, the dominant carrier.

What I think is happening is that there would be a nine hour wait for a non-stop MIA-SEA.

OP...You have a third option. Take the morning flight BGI-MIA. Then take a second flight into either ORD or DFW from MIA (frequent departures) and then connect to SEA.

If you want MIA-SEA non-stop, you have very limited options as that is, to the best of my knowledge, operated only once per day. If, OTOH, you take an intermediate connection at ORD or DFW, you will have many more options available to you.

Your choice.

I have a small credulity issue here. According to the OP, upon arriving at MIA, there is a nine hour wait if they take the early morning flight from BGI. I'm sorry, but you can't tell me that you have to wait nine hours to get out of MIA on AA, the dominant carrier.

What I think is happening is that there would be a nine hour wait for a non-stop MIA-SEA.

OP...You have a third option. Take the morning flight BGI-MIA. Then take a second flight into either ORD or DFW from MIA (frequent departures) and then connect to SEA.

If you want MIA-SEA non-stop, you have very limited options as that is, to the best of my knowledge, operated only once per day. If, OTOH, you take an intermediate connection at ORD or DFW, you will have many more options available to you.

Your choice.

I think OP should wait, personally. The more airports you put between your origin and your destination, the greater the chance of airline mechanical issues (especially on AA!), weather delays, and luggage issues.

Flyer talker - you are correct, I have only considered flights with no more than 1 stop from BGI to SEA. My husband, HATES to fly and in particular, hates the airport and it's residue hassles, so to accomodate him I try to find the least amount of stopovers.

I hadn't considered renting a car for a few hours and going into Miami. How far is the South Beach area from MIA? How bad would it be to have to go through security AGAIN later in the evening? For those in the know, are the rental car places on site at the airport or off site? Would this just be more of a hassle for my already stressed out husband? I guess a lot to think about.

Any reccomendstions for a decent restaurants in MIA? I think AA flys out of terminal D.

Thanks again. I find my most helpful information from this section of CC.

How bad would it be to have to go through security AGAIN later in the evening? For those in the know, are the rental car places on site at the airport or off site? Would this just be more of a hassle for my already stressed out husband? I guess a lot to think about.

Absolutely no more hassle since you would not be going through security "AGAIN." You arrive into MIA, recheck your luggage then leave to the public area without going through security. Then when you return to the airport before the non-stop flight you go through security at that time. In either case you only go through US security one time in MIA - either after rechecking your luggage if you stay in the airport all afternoon (ugh!) or before your evening flight if you rent a car and go off-airport.

Most airports now require a shuttle bus to get from the terminal to the car rental facility, though I am not sure if that is the case in Miami. But most major car rental companies certainly are on the airport grounds - just most likely not walking distance from the terminal to the car itself.

Most airports now require a shuttle bus to get from the terminal to the car rental facility, though I am not sure if that is the case in Miami. But most major car rental companies certainly are on the airport grounds - just most likely not walking distance from the terminal to the car itself.
MIA has a train that takes you to the remote rental car facility which is a mile away. The station is in the parking garage area. LINK.

I've rented a car during a long layover at MIA, and went into South Beach. It's very easy and doesn't take long at all. Hang out at the beach, then maybe later head up to Little Havana for a good Cuban meal, then back to the airport.

Frankly, in January I'd probably stay away from plane changes, particularly at ORD.

One departs Barbados early 7:50 or so and has a NINE HOUR layover in MIA. The second is preferable, leaving at 3:00 or so but it's layover is less than 2 hours (1 hr 50 Mins if I remember correctly). Windstar does come into port early so making it off the ship and to the airport is proabably doable

Just how early does Windstar get in to port that a 7:50 flight is "probably doable?" The ship still has to clear customs, then YOU have to clear immigration/customs, get to the airport, check in, probably go through an agricultural inspection, and then go through security, and of course be at the gate no later than 7:20. I"ve been at FLL that early post-cruise several times, but I don't know that I'd count on making a flight that early. YMMV

Flyer talker - you are correct, I have only considered flights with no more than 1 stop from BGI to SEA. My husband, HATES to fly and in particular, hates the airport and it's residue hassles, so to accomodate him I try to find the least amount of stopovers.

I hadn't considered renting a car for a few hours and going into Miami. How far is the South Beach area from MIA? How bad would it be to have to go through security AGAIN later in the evening? For those in the know, are the rental car places on site at the airport or off site? Would this just be more of a hassle for my already stressed out husband? I guess a lot to think about.

If you don't want to deal with renting a car, finding your way around, parking, etc. you could always take a cab back and forth. Probably a few more dollars but a lot easier, AND you could have Bloody Mary's (or your beverage of choice) with your breakfast/brunch/lunch in South Beach. ;)

One thing you might want to consider is going to a hotel to rest, relax and enjoy the beach. Many hotels offer day rooms. I've also left my luggage at MIA and gone to a mall, watched a movie, etc and then back to the airport. You can also go to the Everglades for the day and get back in time.

And why does AA do that to you in the first place? I'm afraid I know what most of you will say, take the longer layover, but what the hell will we for nine hours?

Most flights to the Caribbean are very limited (i.e., daily) and if you want certain long, thin flights, those are even more limited.

No, I do not have status to get into a lounge and I have to imagine even that would get boring after a whiile.

In U.S. airlines lounge yes, it woud get boring. Hypothetical anyway as status doesn't get you into the lounge for AA.

Another thing you have to consider are airline schedule changes. You are still 7 months away, and odds of AA schedule changes are high, especially considering the reorg they are going through.

If AA were to move the early morning departure from BGI up by 30 minutes, would you still be able to make the flight? Still "probably doable"?

If you have the time, consider spending one night in Barbados, taking the AA morning flight the next day, then spending the 9-hour layover touring Miami. No stress to get off the ship, no risk of misconnecting. Barbados is not a bad place to be stuck in for a day.

Thank you all for the responses. The windspirit does anchor at 4am in Barbados so I am hoping that will allow me to catch the early flight. Its been my experience with these small cruise ships that disembarking is MUCH easier and faster than the mass market ships. I have also done some research into other flights. There is a 2 stop over route thru JFK that is a 3+hour layover in MIA (which seems more sane all around) and would break up the long flight as long as the husband agrees. I've also looked into day passes at hotels/pools in south beach so I think I'll just give him all the scenarios and let him choose.

Thanks again all.

Thank you all for the responses. The windspirit does anchor at 4am in Barbados so I am hoping that will allow me to catch the early flight. Its been my experience with these small cruise ships that disembarking is MUCH easier and faster than the mass market ships. I have also done some research into other flights. There is a 2 stop over route thru JFK that is a 3+hour layover in MIA (which seems more sane all around) and would break up the long flight as long as the husband agrees. I've also looked into day passes at hotels/pools in south beach so I think I'll just give him all the scenarios and let him choose.

Thanks again all.

Assuming you're connecting to AA's JFK-SEA nonstop, my experience with that flight is that it often runs late, especially in winter when JFK can be a mess anyway., It would make for a really long day. (Of course AA's idiotic timing on the MIA-SEA nonstop is hardly better, but at least you could hang out in Miami before the joys of a late flight on an AA 757.)

You might also look at routing through LAX, connecting to an AS codeshare flight there. Some MIA-LAX flights have widebody aircraft, a lot nicer in F than the 757s. You'd have to change terminals at LAX (AS is now in T6) but I believe there is some sort of airside transfer between T4 (AA) and T6.

As a rule, AA prices BGI-MIA-LAX-SEA similarly to the BGI-MIA-SEA routings. (Assuming you're on mileage seats or one of AA's current bargain K/YUP fares.)

You might also look at routing through LAX, connecting to an AS codeshare flight there. Some MIA-LAX flights have widebody aircraft, a lot nicer in F than the 757s. You'd have to change terminals at LAX (AS is now in T6) but I believe there is some sort of airside transfer between T4 (AA) and T6.

As a rule, AA prices BGI-MIA-LAX-SEA similarly to the BGI-MIA-SEA routings. (Assuming you're on mileage seats or one of AA's current bargain K/YUP fares.)

I booked LAX-MIA-SJU and return a few weeks agon on AA. As Gardyloo states, they have a morning flight using a 772 and an afternoon 763. We got a YUP for only $140 more than the lowest discount fare...the return portion was only $14 more so the YUP is actually *cheaper* than the discount fare if there are checked bags.

I bet the fare situation is similar from Barbados.

What would you do?

My last 3 times going international from Miami airport this year (to Ecuador, Brazil and Chile) took a long long time. First it is a long long walk (forever comes to mind) from the plane to the mosh pit to check passports to customs. You are dealing with people speaking many languages and poor little young aides/helpers whatever trying to keep order in a no order zone. Signage is bad. Line formation is bad. Luggage pickup is confusing and there are not good lines of pedestrian flow in baggage area. I travel about once a month and Miami is as bad as I see. Sorry but my opinion is that with less than 2 hours you will be waiting a much longer time to rebook your American flight home. Take a good book and find a quiet spot -- you will have lots of time if you don't need it. :rolleyes:

Archived