Cruise ship packing

So I'm going on a cruise in about 2 weeks, and was wondering what everybody recommends for packing their clothes. I've heard of things like the rolling method, but I really want to know which one helps the most with organization and fitting a lot of clothes into one suitcase (6 family members).

-THanks!

I fold my casual and t-shirts like they are in the store, and pants or dress items are in a garment bag. I do use Downy Wrinkle Release once onboard, along with a steamer. Every cruise I say I'm going to pack less by mix and matching, etc., but it never happens.

If you're flying, you have to watch out for the weight of your bags. If you're not flying, bring as much and as many bags as you like...there are no real restrictions on the ship. It's the airlines that cause most folks headaches! Most ships allow about 200 lbs per person...I can't imagine ANYONE needing that much stuff!

So I'm going on a cruise in about 2 weeks, and was wondering what everybody recommends for packing their clothes. I've heard of things like the rolling method, but I really want to know which one helps the most with organization and fitting a lot of clothes into one suitcase (6 family members).

-THanks!

We packed all our clothes for a two week cruise in one airline carry on each.

Even then we packed to much and are making our list smaller. Just note we skipped formal nights. That saved at least one checked bag. Did one load of laundry thru the ship.

-THanks!

Use the bundle method. Just Google it and there are a few videos that show you how. There will be hardly a wrinkle and you can pack in carryons. :)

I heard about packing cubes on another board so I got some for the last time. We loved them. You roll your clothes and then put them in the cube, which is actually a rectangle. They hold the clothes in place and they allowed me to fit more in the suitcase and the clothes were less wrinkled. We drive to the port so weight did not matter.

People with children use different colors for each child and then the child knows where their clothes are. You can take them out of the suitcase and put them right in the drawers or on the shelf in the closet. It helped to keep the cabin organized.

I have heard for years in many places that rolling your clothes is the best way to do it to keep them from wrinkling. I never had much success with that until I got these packing cubes.

We packed all our clothes for a two week cruise in one airline carry on each.

Even then we packed to much and are making our list smaller. Just note we skipped formal nights. That saved at least one checked bag. Did one load of laundry thru the ship.

for us this is unthinkable. we could never do this. we cruise too much and love to dress up.

I pack everything in plastic and cross pack with DH. Our local (very small town) dollar store has some great heavy weight plastic bags that are sized perfectly for men's dress shirts. They can be gently compressed without adding wrinkles. I use cubes for undies, socks etc. but find that they do not fit as well around the handle casing. I overlap layers of hanging garments wrapped in plastic carefully smoothing out each item and arranging the hangers down in the neck of each as I go.

Packing is an art form unto itself! After a gazillion years of travel, including cruising, the only problem is deciding what NOT to take.

Just a note....steamers are in the same category as irons now and are prohibited on every cruise line I am familiar with.

... Most ships allow about 200 lbs per person...I can't imagine ANYONE needing that much stuff!

Well, if it is a one way cruise, and a person is moving to the new location for the summer, or relocating, then I am sure that they may have several palets full of possessions with them.

But yeah, generally I know what you mean.

Take a look at this for great advice from a flight attendant: http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2010/05/06/business/businessspecial/20100506-pack-ss.html :)

If you look at the last slide that the truth is revealed: that is NOT a carry on. The thickness of the suitcase is about as much as is the width, say 18 to 20 inches. The real reason why it is a carry on for her, is because of the bright red "Crew" tag.

I think that she is NOT a light packer. She has way too much stuff. According to the commentary, the suitcase holds, "three pairs of shorts, three pairs of dress pants, one skirt, three pairs of casual pants or jeans, three nightgowns, three bathing suits, one sarong, three lightweight sweaters, four dresses, 10 casual shirts, six dress shirts, a clutch, toiletries and two pairs of shoes." I would take about half of what she is wearing.

But on the other hand I would add stuff: I would also take underwear, socks, etc., that way the clothes does not get as dirty from inside, so she does not have to change the outerwear as often. (Do all stewardesses travel commando?)

Question: The cubes - do you pack those in your suite case? Or those instead of luggage?

Thanks for the tips.

The cubes go into your suitcase/carry on bag.

Give them some practice before heading out on a cruise.

I wash mine after every trip and hang them to dry...no dryer used.

One concern about the space bags (those are plastic bags that you squeeze the air out of, but fit quite a lot of clothing in) is that they save space, but might lead to overpacking when it comes to weight. I used them for our Alaskan cruise and was able to fit quite a bit in the suitcases. But we had a weight limitation as we were taking the train to Seattle and Amtrak had a 50 pound limit, IIRC. The clerk, at the station we were boarding the train at picked up one of our suitcases, and said it was too heavy. As our carryons were pretty full, I was in panic mode. Fortunately my hubby insisted he weigh them on the scale. We were an ounce under!

If you look at the last slide that the truth is revealed: that is NOT a carry on. The thickness of the suitcase is about as much as is the width, say 18 to 20 inches. The real reason why it is a carry on for her, is because of the bright red "Crew" tag.

I think that she is NOT a light packer. She has way too much stuff. According to the commentary, the suitcase holds, "three pairs of shorts, three pairs of dress pants, one skirt, three pairs of casual pants or jeans, three nightgowns, three bathing suits, one sarong, three lightweight sweaters, four dresses, 10 casual shirts, six dress shirts, a clutch, toiletries and two pairs of shoes." I would take about half of what she is wearing.

But on the other hand I would add stuff: I would also take underwear, socks, etc., that way the clothes does not get as dirty from inside, so she does not have to change the outerwear as often. (Do all stewardesses travel commando?)

I disagree, it is a carry on. It looks disproportionately deep because it's a 20" roll on instead of a 22". Mine looks the same way.

I don't see the big deal with overpacking a little, as long as you are under the weight limit. I always bring one regular sized suitcase for just myself plus a small backpack, and each family member does the same. This way I have options for what to wear, can wear something different each day, and don't have to do laundry on vacation.

While I don't necessarily disagree with her clothing choices (but I too .would want underwear!) I can't believe any woman can go for a 10 day trip with such a small toiletry case. I don't think I am a product hog but I cannot believe she has the bare minimum of shampoo and conditioner and makeup all in that tiny toiletry bag

While I don't necessarily disagree with her clothing choices (but I too .would want underwear!) I can't believe any woman can go for a 10 day trip with such a small toiletry case. I don't think I am a product hog but I cannot believe she has the bare minimum of shampoo and conditioner and makeup all in that tiny toiletry bag

She either uses the hotel products or buys products when she arrives at her destination. I just went three weeks with a (not full) 3-1-1 bag and a small makeup bag. (My makeup would fit in a sandwich baggie with plenty of room to spare.) I probably could have fit it all in the 3-1-1 bag. I used the hotel/ships shampoo, conditioner, hand cream, and shower gel. I bought a small can of hairspray when I arrived in Rome, and left the remainder behind when I came home. I probably could have taken a travel sized can of hairspray and used it sparingly enough to stretch it for the entire trip.

I'm sure she had underwear, she chose not to show it--it tucks into small air pockets so doesn't really impact your packing.

While I don't necessarily disagree with her clothing choices (but I too .would want underwear!) I can't believe any woman can go for a 10 day trip with such a small toiletry case.

You mean you don't want to experience what the men experience while they are wearing kilts or feel the Caribbean breezes. LOL :D I notice there wasn't a clothesline packed as well. Maybe they get a break in laundry service from the airlines. Just one word..... Woollite ...

Giggle....

I disagree, it is a carry on. It looks disproportionately deep because it's a 20" roll on instead of a 22". Mine looks the same way.

Mine too! Stuffed to the gills, but still a carry on! (Unfortunately, I must admit that mine matches a 25" that is also fairly stuffed!):rolleyes:

Archived