McAfee site advisor

SAN415

McAfee site advisor keeps warning me that the cruise critic site has been tested and is considered a dangerous site and risky to visit.

I have in the past, got a virus from this site. Is it still a problem?

[quote=McAfee site adviser keeps warning me that the cruise critic site has been tested and is considered a dangerous site and risky to visit.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

For several days, ending 48 hrs ago, except mine was from avast. Could get no CC for awhile, then Azamara and X, but still no Holland America. Now back to normal. Ran all the cleaner and virus finding/removal sites on the computer and they all came up clean.

McAfee site advisor keeps warning me that the cruise critic site has been tested and is considered a dangerous site and risky to visit. I have in the past, got a virus from this site. Is it still a problem?

I've never gotten a virus from this website. If you use Firefox as your browser get the add-on NoScript. Otherwise turn off JavaScript in the browser you use and don't click on stuff you are not sure about.

McAfee site advisor keeps warning me that the cruise critic site has been tested and is considered a dangerous site and risky to visit.

I just installed some McAfee updates about a half hour ago and I am now seeing the "Warning Dangerous Site! We tested this site and found it's very risky to visit!" That's a new warning that wasn't here yesterday.

I just installed some McAfee updates about a half hour ago and I am now seeing the "Warning Dangerous Site! We tested this site and found it's very risky to visit!" That's a new warning that wasn't here yesterday.

I have McAfee and I have only gotten that once and it was months ago. No problem here.

Helen :)

The last few days I have gotten the same warning but I say "Not the HAL Board" of cc and I "go there anyway." I have over 7800 posts on this site since 2000. Not as many as some but posts none the less.

Posters on the Celebrity board have reported a virus issue after following a link posted by a first time poster to these board. It might be wise to not chase links posted by recent members.

Believe you make a good point, about opening links suggested by new members..

I use Internet Explorer & have AVG for my virus protection...(recommended by my computer tech) ...Just did an AVG scan while on this site & everything was clear..No virus & no spy ware on this site..

To the OP, how do you know you got a virus from this site? Does McAfee tell you where a virus came from?

Betty

I urge everyone to use either Google Chrome or Firefox.

Install with either the plugin called AdBlock, which blocks ads (that's where most viruses and spyware/malware comes from). NoScript as previously mentioned for Firefox is another great way to prevent viruses.

For security, avast! and Microsoft Security Essentials are free and just as good (IMO better) than either McAfee or Norton.

I urge everyone to use either Google Chrome or Firefox.

Install with either the plugin called AdBlock, which blocks ads (that's where most viruses and spyware/malware comes from). NoScript as previously mentioned for Firefox is another great way to prevent viruses.

For security, avast! and Microsoft Security Essentials are free and just as good (IMO better) than either McAfee or Norton.

sppunk... Are you saying that we should not use Internet Explorer as a browser..It's funny your mentioning ads..Just now on went on dictionary.com to look up a word & while I was scanning down a page a stupid ad with music.,came up on the page & I could not close it..

What about AVG for Virus & spyware protection..My computer tech recommends AVG..

My kids are coming down tomorrow & they are very much into computers, maybe they can help me install another browser..I'm pretty dumb when it comes to computers..

thanks...Betty

I have gotten viruses from CC, but not recently. How did I know? My computer tech was able to trace it. Most of the time he can, but not always.

A few days ago I could not open CC for about a day and a half. I kept getting notice from Avast that they had "blocked Malware." After a day and half it worked fine. Go Figure!!!! :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

sppunk... Are you saying that we should not use Internet Explorer as a browser..It's funny your mentioning ads..Just now on went on dictionary.com to look up a word & while I was scanning down a page a stupid ad with music.,came up on the page & I could not close it..

What about AVG for Virus & spyware protection..My computer tech recommends AVG..

My kids are coming down tomorrow & they are very much into computers, maybe they can help me install another browser..I'm pretty dumb when it comes to computers..

thanks...Betty

IE renders pages terribly and is vulnerable to attacks moreso than the other browsers. They are easy to install, just download the file abd open/run it. :)

AVG is good, I just prefer the other two. Norton/McAfee install so much bloat on computes it slows them down considerably sometimes.

whatever you use, have it auto update and active monitoring.

Installing MalwareBytes to scan your computer every week or so is also highly recommended.

sppunk... Are you saying that we should not use Internet Explorer as a browser..

I only use IE when I update my Win 7 box. Find out how to tighten up your internet settings. There are many websites that will show you how. I use the latest updated Firefox.

It's funny your mentioning ads..Just now on went on dictionary.com to look up a word & while I was scanning down a page a stupid ad with music.,came up on the page & I could not close it..

Do a search on a search engine for "host file". You will learn a lot of useful stuff.

I used AVG until it borked my machine. I use MSE now. Use what you like.

I just installed some McAfee updates about a half hour ago and I am now seeing the "Warning Dangerous Site! We tested this site and found it's very risky to visit!" ...

Well, McAfee is some smart software. Of course Cruise Critic is a dangerous site! It is very addictive. Going onto Cruise Critic will waste hours and hours of your time! Bad, Cruise Critic, bad! :(

My Avast antivirus wouldn't even let me access this site in any way for a couple days earlier this week. I thought it was just my bookmark causing a problem but then I manually typed the www.cruisecritic.com address and tried to access the Boards that way and I got the same warning from my antivirus with no access ability at all. It was really frustrating.

But after two days it cleared up. My antivirus updates daily, sometimes several times a day, so I thought the virus was either cleaned or that my antivirus was now considering the boards to be safe.

If you use Internet Explorer 8 or 9 and keep your computer current with Microsoft patches and you keep your AV up to date you will have no issues at all. I prefer IE over FireFox but also have it installed.

Instructions for changing your setting to automatic patching can be found on the Microsoft site

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525

I use avast and also Bitdefender Antivirus Plus. I use Ad-Aware by Lavasoft for spyware protection. The warning is coming from McAfee site advisor, it just involves checking sites for problems. I find Norton or McAfee virus protection as bad as having a virus on my machine. But I do like the site advisor.

Last year Bitdefender stopped a virus and at the same time this site, Cruise Critic, mentioned that someone had imbedded a virus in their post. And so did several other people mention the virus. Didn't do me any harm, but still I will be careful about what posts I open.

Archived